Homers on Jets Nation this morning...

Ryno the Jet

What has Leon Washington and Brandon Jacobs accomplished in the NFL so far in their careers- to say they are part of one of the best tandem running backs in the league is ridiculous.

Not sure how many watch that show, but him and Buttle are monster homers!

Greg Bubbles is as big as they come as to that, but I really don't mind. Actually, it makes me laugh like hell sometimes. We could get trounced by a score of 89-0, and he'll say something like, "So and so made a fine tackle."

I think we definitely belong in the top five.

Not many teams run the "duo" approach. I don't think SD belongs in that bunch, considering its a "by commitee" conversation. Back-ups don't count. Otherwise Betts, and Portis would be up there.

Dallas has a good thing in Jones and Barber. And they actually get situtuational-specific running duties.

For that reason, Taylor and Jones-Drew (JAX) should get serious consideration as well.

1. NO (Duece, Bush)

2. DEN (Tatum Bell, Kevin Jones, Duckett)

3. DAL (Barber and Jones)

4. JAX (Taylor and J-Drew)

5. NYJ (TJ and Leon)

What has Leon Washington and Brandon Jacobs accomplished in the NFL so far in their careers- to say they are part of one of the best tandem running backs in the league is ridiculous.

Agreed, I think the Jets dynamic duo have potential to be fantastic, but they have yet to play together. Jacobs/Droughns is not that amazing IMO, either, and they too have not played together.

NO isn't by committee either then, Bush might be a WR, but he's certainly not an RB.

LT by himself should be good enough for #1, with Turner though it becomes a lopsided choice. Turner was actually used quite a lot, more than LW was for us.

I think we definitely belong in the top five.

Not many teams run the "duo" approach. I don't think SD belongs in that bunch, considering its a "by commitee" conversation. Back-ups don't count. Otherwise Betts, and Portis would be up there.

Dallas has a good thing in Jones and Barber. And they actually get situtuational-specific running duties.

For that reason, Taylor and Jones-Drew (JAX) should get serious consideration as well.

1. NO (Duece, Bush)

2. DEN (Tatum Bell, Kevin Jones, Duckett)

3. DAL (Barber and Jones)

4. JAX (Taylor and J-Drew)

5. NYJ (TJ and Leon)

It remains to be seen is my point; DEN gets in by default, as anyone could run behind those cheaters, and the rest of your list have all shown that they work well together. I think T.J. and Leon will be great, but I can't say they will be the 3rd or 4th or even 5th best tandem in the league. I sure as hell hope they are the best though!

NO isn't by committee either then, Bush might be a WR, but he's certainly not an RB.

LT by himself should be good enough for #1, with Turner though it becomes a lopsided choice. Turner was actually used quite a lot, more than LW was for us.

Good point

When I think "by commitee" I render images of USC's Bush and White (thunder and lightning) with similar stylistic differences in PIT with Bettis and Staley, or ATL with Dunn and Duckett.

I think "fresh legs" will become the new tendency of duos, and less of the innie/outie running-back combinations.

I guess is he's going by yards gained last year Faba-TJ had 1200 plus ad Leon like 900 total yards and he didn't even start playing until the Jax game in October-I still say we have the best running attack in the division

What is with all of you bashing this... and then not offering up what you think is actually the top 5?

If your gonna rip the guy apart at least back it up...

Please...

Cinci (Rudi & Perry)

Jax (Taylor & Jones-Drew)

KC (LJ & Bennett)

SD (LT & Turner)

DAL (Jones & Barber)

WAS (Portis & Betts)

MIN (Taylor & Peterson)

NO (Bush & Deuce)

No particular order, and they are all easily worth a higher ranking than Jones/Leon. There are other debatable combos too. Not saying the Jets RBs won't outshine some of these guys, but you have to give respect where respect is due. Not to mention Lucas' picks of the Giants at #4 and Oakland at #5; please.

Please...

Cinci (Rudi & Perry)

Jax (Taylor & Jones-Drew)

KC (LJ & Bennett)

SD (LT & Turner)

DAL (Jones & Barber)

WAS (Portis & Betts)

MIN (Taylor & Peterson)

NO (Bush & Deuce)

No particular order, and they are all easily worth a higher ranking than Jones/Leon. There are other debatable combos too. Not saying the Jets RBs won't outshine some of these guys, but you have to give respect where respect is due. Not to mention Lucas' picks of the Giants at #4 and Oakland at #5; please.

No way is MIN's Taylor and Peterson better then NYJ's Jones and Washington, and I don't think DAL's Jones and Barber is as good either, but theyre better then MIN.

No way is MIN's Taylor and Peterson better then NYJ's Jones and Washington, and I don't think DAL's Jones and Barber is as good either, but theyre better then MIN.

I think the combination of Taylor & A.P. should be better than the Jets RBs. Similar, actually; Peterson and Jones are hard runners, but Peterson has more shake; while Taylor and Leon are almost identical IMO. Thus, MIN gets the edge. Close call, but Peterson promises to have a huge career that should start right away with a bang.

I think the combination of Taylor & A.P. should be better than the Jets RBs. Similar, actually; Peterson and Jones are hard runners, but Peterson has more shake; while Taylor and Leon are almost identical IMO. Thus, MIN gets the edge. Close call, but Peterson promises to have a huge career that should start right away with a bang.

Please, Peterson was good in college, but against a cupcake schedule while playing for Oklahoma. T-Jones is a proven all around, complete back who can rush for over 1000 yds without being run into the ground. Leon Washington, with his speed and quickness, will make for a nice change of pace back and will allow us to be even more creative on offense. I'd much rather Jones and LWashington over Taylor and A.P.

Please, Peterson was good in college, but against a cupcake schedule while playing for Oklahoma. T-Jones is a proven all around, complete back who can rush for over 1000 yds without being run into the ground. Leon Washington, with his speed and quickness, will make for a nice change of pace back and will allow us to be even more creative on offense. I'd much rather Jones and LWashington over Taylor and A.P.

Cupcake schedule? BIG XII Haus...not so much a cupcake conference; likely no.2 maybe 3 in the nation. Hey, Jones is a great back, and I would like nothing more than for Jones/Leon to go for 3,000 yds, but Peterson is a prototype RB with only injury in his way. I have been watching Peterson since High School; he's the real deal...

Cupcake schedule? BIG XII Haus...not so much a cupcake conference; likely no.2 maybe 3 in the nation. Hey, Jones is a great back, and I would like nothing more than for Jones/Leon to go for 3,000 yds, but Peterson is a prototype RB with only injury in his way. I have been watching Peterson since High School; he's the real deal...

Yes he is the real deal. Just like everyone was saying Reggie was going to be a bust... Reggie may be no Barry, but he is far from a bust.

The thing with Peterson is... He is a true work-horse as a runningback. I wish we had Peterson. But Leon will do.

Everyone always love 2 say... Bust, Bust, this guy is going to be a bust... The next guy is going to be a bust.

Just like i told everyone V.Young would be the best QB out of the draft class last year, Peterson will be the best RB out of this class

Please, Big 12, You honestly consider that a tough conference? Sure, one team makes a BCS game per year from that conference and gets crushed by teams from either the Big 10 or PAC 10. But the only reason a Big 12 team makes it is because they play such an easy schedule that its impossible not to finish with a top 8 record. Having said that, I do not think Peterson will be terrible, but I honestly don't see him being too much better then L. Washington, and he's certainly nowhere near T-Jones.

Please, Big 12, You honestly consider that a tough conference? Sure, one team makes a BCS game per year from that conference and gets crushed by teams from either the Big 10 or PAC 10. But the only reason a Big 12 team makes it is because they play such an easy schedule that its impossible not to finish with a top 8 record. Having said that, I do not think Peterson will be terrible, but I honestly don't see him being too much better then L. Washington, and he's certainly nowhere near T-Jones.

I seem to remember a BIG XII conference team winning a National Championship against a decent PAC 10 team not too long ago...but, whatever, this is an NFL message board. As for you comparing Leon to Peterson and your high value of Jones, well...

green-glasses.jpg

I seem to remember a BIG XII conference team winning a National Championship against a decent PAC 10 team not too long ago...but, whatever, this is an NFL message board. As for you comparing Leon to Peterson and your high value of Jones, well...

green-glasses.jpg

haha, no not quite. I actually think the Jets deserve more credit then they're getting for the offensive firepower they have now. I agree that teams such as SD, KC, Jax, and NO all have better run games then the Jets. I think teams such as the Titans, Cowboys, and Raiders are about even with the Jets and teams such as MIN and NE a small step below those teams. Leon Washington had over 900 yds last season (650 Rushing) and wasn't even on the game roster until about week 3. He didn't start until maybe mid season, and even then he was splitting time. At the same time, T-Jones had over 1,000 RUSHING yards his past two seasons while splitting time with C. Benson in Chicago. So, using that logic, T-Jones and L. Washington may be able to combine for over 2,000 total yards this season, and over 1,500 rushing...No, I don't think MIN's or NE's backfields are even close to capable of producing those kinds of numbers.

haha, no not quite. I actually think the Jets deserve more credit then they're getting for the offensive firepower they have now. I agree that teams such as SD, KC, Jax, and NO all have better run games then the Jets. I think teams such as the Titans, Cowboys, and Raiders are about even with the Jets and teams such as MIN and NE a small step below those teams. Leon Washington had over 900 yds last season and wasn't even on the game roster until about week 3. He didn't start until maybe mid season, and even then he was splitting time. At the same time, T-Jones had over 1,000 yards his past two seasons while splitting time with C. Benson in Chicago. So, using that logic, T-Jones and L. Washington may be able to combine for about 2,000 rushing yards this season...No, I don't think MIN's or NE's backfields are even close to capable of producing those kinds of numbers.

MIN's RBs may not reach 2,000 yds, but that will likely be because they will be facing 8-9 in the box every game. Apples to Oranges, ya know. Peterson is and will be a terrific player. He will have an impact right away. The Jets are T. Jones 5th different team.

I wake up every morning, look at myself in the mirror and think of Ray Lucas.

Whenever I have an important decision to be made, I always think to myself, What Would Ray Lucas Do?

I have a tattoo on my arm that reads, WWRLD?

Ray Lucas, #1!

In all seriousness, Ray Lucas is the biggest Jets homer I have ever seen and I'm glad I didn't see the show because my television probably would be on the front lawn right now and I'd have a broken window if I actually saw someone say that Leon & Jones, Jacobs & Droughs and Jordan & Rhodes belonged in the Top 5 for 1-2 RB punches.

San Diego: LaDainian Tomlinson & Michael Turner

New Orleans: Reggie Bush & Duece McAlister

Jacksonville: Maurice Jones-Drew & Fred Taylor

Washington: Clinton Portis & Ladell Betts

Minnesota: Adrian Peterson & Chester Taylor

Dallas: Julius Jones & Marion Barber III

Carolina: DeShaun Foster & DeAngelo Williams

Whenever I have an important decision to be made, I always think to myself, What Would Ray Lucas Do?

Ray Lucas, #1!

In all seriousness, Ray Lucas is the biggest Jets homer I have ever seen and I'm glad I didn't see the show because my television probably would be on the front lawn right now and I'd have a broken window if I actually saw someone say that Leon & Jones, Jacobs & Droughs and Jordan & Rhodes belonged in the Top 5 for 1-2 RB punches.

Agree on the first 3 or 4 and maybe Dallas, bur CAR and MIN? What about KC with L. Johnson and Bennett? I also think Jones & Leon would rank higher than Foster&Williams(CAR) and Peterson&Taylor(MIN).

Also, its hard to rank the top 5 RB teams because it depends on what you're looking for. Its hard to just look at stats for any of this because they can vary based on the quality of the team the RB's play for and the toughness of their schedule. But, if you are looking at stats, which ones? just rushing yds, or total yards? Just TD's? I think it would be easier to rank these teams' running attack if all of that was more clear.

I think jones and leon are a little better than peterson and taylor at this point. Taylor and Leon are comparable backs both in their style and ability. Jones is a player with experience in this league and has proven to be more durable. Peterson has proven to be the best in college football when he plays, but he is too injury prone for my liking. If he stays healthy and produces this year, they would be a much better duo than the one we have.

Good list, but how do you put the vikes on this list. Peterson has yet to play a down in the NFL. I also think he is the real deal, he still has to prove himself. At this point rookies do not deserved to be ranked for anything until they actually play.

Thank you! I was beginning to wonder if anyone had actually read where he said NYG at #4 and OAK at #5. I guess the title of the thread has everyone zeroing in on the Jets at #3, which is bad enough, but the other two are even worse!

Ray Lucas, #1!

good list, except for Carolina. Maybe if Williams wins the starting job & can stay healthy, but Foster is very mediocre (in addition to being an injury waiting to happen himself). Most of his carries he just runs into his own lineman & falls down after a 2 yd gain & can't find a hole unless it's 10 yds wide. I'd put Jones/Leon and Dunn/Norwood ahead of them.

Good list, but how do you put the vikes on this list. Peterson has yet to play a down in the NFL. I also think he is the real deal, he still has to prove himself. At this point rookies do not deserved to be ranked for anything until they actually play.

Peterson, to me, has always looked like the next great Top 3 NFL running back. The transition will be slower with his lack of touches since at least for '07 he will be sharing the load with Taylor, but, by the end of the '07 season, Minny's backfield tandem will be in Top 5, especially with Tavaris Jackson as the starting Quarterback.

Archived