Being A Fan

Maxman

Anyone see this Chicago Cubs special on HBO? I watched it last night and it was really good. How is this football related you ask? As I watched it I thought about rooting for the Jets. I thought of how the Cubs have had such a long drought. How their fans are so hopeful but have had to deal with so much losing. Similar to what we have experienced with the Jets on a much smaller scale.

As I watched it I realized that it is such a great story. Here are these fans that are SO happy for the few good years they have had. They consider 1969 to be a magical year yet they finished like 8 games out. They were so close in 2003 but lost when it seemed certain they were going to the World Series.

What is the point here? The point is that what gets lost often times is what I will call the magic of being a fan. Just rooting for your team. Sure the #'s tell us that our team will lose. Sure history says they haven't won it all in awhile. But what is wrong with truly just believing? What is wrong with putting yourself out there and rooting for the team to win. It is almost like being a kid. You don't factor in all of the other stuff. All of the reasons that were hear daily. There is so much negativity in the world. The Jets won't win because Chad can't get it done. The defensive line isn't strong enough. The offensive line isn't physical enough. Mangini is a good coach but it is only his second year.

I remember being a kid and truly believing every year that the Jets would win the Super Bowl. What is wrong with that? Sure they didn't get it done, but I think it is far better to just believe. Why? Because that is what sports gives us. An escape. An escape from reality and all the things that are certain in life.

Some things I can't change. I have bills to pay. Work to do. Things have to get done. The Jets offer an escape from all those things. In sports anything can happen. The future has not been written. So I refuse to look at things and say why it can't happen. Instead I look at it and just believe that it will happen. People will say that history will prove me wrong. And that's okay. I am not an expert on TV giving analysis about the game. I am a fan.

My job as a fan is to root for the team. It is to believe that they will win it all. I am not saying we can't be critical. They don't always do things right. But you know what? One day they will do it right. One day they will win the Super Bowl.

When it happens -- I will be able to say that I called it. Because I am a fan. Believing they are going to win it all is what I do.

Great post Max and for the longest time I thought exactly like that. That no matter, there would be someway that the Jets could win it all. I don't know where I lost it. Maybe it was after Chad got hurt against Jacksonville in 2005, I think it might've been then, and I hope someday if not now I can get back to exactly that. I loved believeing that the Jets could win it all each season. It sucks when you have that negativity latched into your brain.

Great post Max and for the longest time I thought exactly like that. That no matter, there would be someway that the Jets could win it all. I don't know where I lost it. Maybe it was after Chad got hurt against Jacksonville in 2005, I think it might've been then, and I hope someday if not now I can get back to exactly that. I loved believeing that the Jets could win it all each season. It sucks when you have that negativity latched into your brain.

Yes, it's a recently researched neurological disorder known as Bartonitis. Jet fans are very prone to it, but the strong can fend it off.

JETS WILL WIN IT ALL THIS YEAR!

Anyone see this Chicago Cubs special on HBO? I watched it last night and it was really good. How is this football related you ask? As I watched it I thought about rooting for the Jets. I thought of how the Cubs have had such a long drought. How their fans are so hopeful but have had to deal with so much losing. Similar to what we have experienced with the Jets on a much smaller scale.

As I watched it I realized that it is such a great story. Here are these fans that are SO happy for the few good years they have had. They consider 1969 to be a magical year yet they finished like 8 games out. They were so close in 2003 but lost when it seemed certain they were going to the World Series.

What is the point here? The point is that what gets lost often times is what I will call the magic of being a fan. Just rooting for your team. Sure the #'s tell us that our team will lose. Sure history says they haven't won it all in awhile. But what is wrong with truly just believing? What is wrong with putting yourself out there and rooting for the team to win. It is almost like being a kid. You don't factor in all of the other stuff. All of the reasons that were hear daily. There is so much negativity in the world. The Jets won't win because Chad can't get it done. The defensive line isn't strong enough. The offensive line isn't physical enough. Mangini is a good coach but it is only his second year.

I remember being a kid and truly believing every year that the Jets would win the Super Bowl. What is wrong with that? Sure they didn't get it done, but I think it is far better to just believe. Why? Because that is what sports gives us. An escape. An escape from reality and all the things that are certain in life.

Some things I can't change. I have bills to pay. Work to do. Things have to get done. The Jets offer an escape from all those things. In sports anything can happen. The future has not been written. So I refuse to look at things and say why it can't happen. Instead I look at it and just believe that it will happen. People will say that history will prove me wrong. And that's okay. I am not an expert on TV giving analysis about the game. I am a fan.

My job as a fan is to root for the team. It is to believe that they will win it all. I am not saying we can't be critical. They don't always do things right. But you know what? One day they will do it right. One day they will win the Super Bowl.

When it happens -- I will be able to say that I called it. Because I am a fan. Believing they are going to win it all is what I do.

POTW NOM

Optimism is often mistaken for dullusional on this board.

Good post.

Spot on dude, spot on! I am not even going to attempt to foul up this post with a gay joke or anything ;)

Oh don't worry bro, having a superbowl win this year will make the pain of being my sig-bitch much more barable!

As I get older I think of all the things that I know won't happen. My hair, it's not coming back, lol. I am not getting better looking. My taxes -- they won't be less next year than they are right now.

There is so much that is already written. There are so many reasons WHY NOT.

I am here to say that sports offers us something different. A chance to believe that the impossible can happen. Why? Because it can.

Buster Douglas beat Mike Tyson. All bets are officially off!

This sounds like something a Red Sox fan would have wrote after they got over the collective stroke they suffered after the post season match-up against the Yankees in 2003.

Nice post though, Max. I love my Patsies. Have loved them long time. Suffered long time. Rewarded big time.

This sounds like something a Red Sox fan would have wrote after they got over the collective stroke they suffered after the post season match-up against the Yankees in 2003.

Nice post though, Max. I love my Patsies. Have loved them long time. Suffered long time. Rewarded big time.

Pats suck. :opps:

great post max. I also think this board has increased my level of interest regarding the ny jets. I started posting to become better informed, but am convinced it has increased my level of excitement come gameday. prior to posting, I don't remember being so intune with all things jets year round.

as a fan, I can be a homer, hater, critic, blind enthusiast & skeptic all within a 15 minute period of any given game.

it really does bring out the kid in me

I used to be like that until about 2004, when the Jets had the most brutal f**king loss I have ever seen VS the Steelers in the playoffs. Then it really hit me come the 2005 season. I had the Jets pegged for the Superbowl and once again, all hell came crashing down and the Jets went 4-12. I learned my lesson that I have always heard about the Jets: Dont believe the hype, they'll rip your heart out.

Oh and then the Yankees lost that year too, but ya know - they're still THE YANKEES. Who are the Jets? There is absolutetly no identity with this team and its pretty sad.

But, I think Mangini delivers a Superbowl if he finds a QB. He's a great HC, but you need the Quarterback.

I used to be like that until about 2004, when the Jets had the most brutal f**king loss I have ever seen VS the Steelers in the playoffs. Then it really hit me come the 2005 season. I had the Jets pegged for the Superbowl and once again, all hell came crashing down and the Jets went 4-12. I learned my lesson that I have always heard about the Jets: Dont believe the hype, they'll rip your heart out.

Oh and then the Yankees lost that year too, but ya know - they're still THE YANKEES. Who are the Jets? There is absolutetly no identity with this team and its pretty sad.

But, I think Mangini delivers a Superbowl if he finds a QB. He's a great HC, but you need the Quarterback.

you aren't old enough to even know....know what, you should root for a different team...why punish yourself, or us, quit now...move on young man

Mr Barton, we have yet to receive your Jets memorabilia. Also, we contacted the New York Giants, they are expecting you anxiously, they are really trying to expand on their aging fanbase and we are all sure you are just the young type of fan they need. Please send in your Pennington jersey and we will promptly have it replaced with a Shockey jersey.

Mr Barton, we have yet to receive your Jets memorabilia. Also, we contacted the New York Giants, they are expecting you anxiously, they are really trying to expand on their aging fanbase and we are all sure you are just the young type of fan they need. Please send in your Pennington jersey and we will promptly have it replaced with a Shockey jersey.

One correction Barton would never ever have a Pennington jersey

Sean, that is a great post. Keep believing!

you aren't old enough to even know....know what, you should root for a different team...why punish yourself, or us, quit now...move on young man

Maybe the Yankees spoiled me, sure. But my stance on the Jets wont change.

When people think of the Jets, who the heck do they think of? Joe Namath like 40 years ago? I mean, come on. Mangini has a legit chance to change it, he just needs the horses. He's that special, IMO. He's a franchise changing guy, he might turn us around.

And screw you Jets Front Office. You're all a bunch of retards in suits! :)

Maybe the Yankees spoiled me, sure. But my stance on the Jets wont change.

When people think of the Jets, who the heck do they think of? Joe Namath like 40 years ago? I mean, come on. Mangini has a legit chance to change it, he just needs the horses. He's that special, IMO. He's a franchise changing guy, he might turn us around.

And screw you Jets Front Office. You're all a bunch of retards in suits! :)

If it makes you feel any better, when I think of the Jets, I think of Rabid drunks. Don't kill me.....my first Pats/Jets game experience at the meadowlands was a pre-game tailgate at 16H. :)

If it makes you feel any better, when I think of the Jets, I think of Rabid drunks. Don't kill me.....my first Pats/Jets game experience at the meadowlands was a pre-game tailgate at 16H. :)

That is what you get for not going to the Harley jetnation tailgate

Garb, there are no more drunk people at the meadowlands then there are at foxboro, c'mon now.

Garb, there are no more drunk people at the meadowlands then there are at foxboro, c'mon now.

I am basing my opinion on 16H 2003. Dude, trust me. I had some guy in his boxer shorts (and nothing else) - cigar - beer/whiskey within two inches of my face SCREAMING "PHUCK THE PATSIES.....FUUUUUUUCKCKKKKKKK.......I'LL BE NICE TO YOU THOUGH..........FFFUCUUCUCUCUCKKKKK!!!!" I was perplexed, bewildered and a little scared. The residual screaming spit that hit my face was just so refreshing.....thing is, I back away, he just followed. Frickin' freak. And that's a tame story. Dude, trust me.

Yes, Foxboro has it's drunks - truth be told, it used to be worse. Much worse.

I used to be like that until about 2004, when the Jets had the most brutal f**king loss I have ever seen VS the Steelers in the playoffs.

That was far from the most brutal playoff loss i have seen. Cleveland '86, Mud bowl, and there were some key games that were even more brutal (Leon throwing the halfback option ring a bell?)

:blowup:

You havent suffered enough. Get a job.

:Nuts:

Max just hit the ball out of the yard.

If the Boston Red Sox can win a World Series

If the New York Rangers can win a Stanley Cup

If Buster Douglass can beat Mike Tyson

Anything and I mean anything is possible.

That is the way you look at it. I know Barton is young kid and that Steelers game hurts for his generation but when I look at that game eventhough they lost they had no buisness really being in that game. Heck if they were the Jets of old they would have lost the San Diego game after the Barton hit. Those kind of games, like Cleveland in 86, The Mud Bowl, or even the 81 Wild Card game, those games hurt me more that that Steelers game.

Maybe it was cause I was young like Barton but those are games that will stick with you until the Jets win the Super Bowl. What might have been.

I don't know if the Jets are going to win this year. Heck I don't know if they will have a better record that last year. What I do know is this.

The Jets have got themselves a winner in Mangini. If given time this team will win and will win BIG. We as fans have to have a little patientce.

How sweet would it be in 2008, the 40th anniversary of the last Jets Super Bowl team to see the Jets in the Super Bowl ?

Just keep holdin on to the dream. They are going to come true real soon.

I am basing my opinion on 16H 2003. Dude, trust me. I had some guy in his boxer shorts (and nothing else) - cigar - beer/whiskey within two inches of my face SCREAMING "PHUCK THE PATSIES.....FUUUUUUUCKCKKKKKKK.......I'LL BE NICE TO YOU THOUGH..........FFFUCUUCUCUCUCKKKKK!!!!" I was perplexed, bewildered and a little scared. The residual screaming spit that hit my face was just so refreshing.....thing is, I back away, he just followed. Frickin' freak. And that's a tame story. Dude, trust me.

Yes, Foxboro has it's drunks - truth be told, it used to be worse. Much worse.

good old Crazy Marty...he knew you were coming Garb, he did it just for you

Great post Max and for the longest time I thought exactly like that. That no matter, there would be someway that the Jets could win it all. I don't know where I lost it.

I don't agree that you lost it Joe. Being a fan doesn't mean you have to be a sheep. If nobody boo'd at inteptitude or quit supporting bad teams with their dollars - nothing would change that needed to change. As much as we all want to live in the fantasy that the magical year or years when our chosen teams ride to the top and take it all is the only thing important to the folks that own the franchise, thats just not reality. Unfortunately it's a business and disgruntled fans who have put their heart and soul into a team have but one recourse - and thats to let it be known in whatever way they can. It doesn't mean they're not fans. If anything it's just the opposite.

I can speak for our generation (Myself, 80, Barton, Jetsfan80) and would have to say that that Steelers game was probably our first true tasting of the Jets having many chances to win a game but failed and came up short. Sure the losses to Denver in '98, Oakland in '01 & '02 were hard, but the Pittsburgh loss in '04 might've been the hardest bullet to bite. The Denver game is a very close second however.

As I get older I think of all the things that I know won't happen. My hair, it's not coming back, lol. I am not getting better looking. My taxes -- they won't be less next year than they are right now.

There is so much that is already written. There are so many reasons WHY NOT.

I am here to say that sports offers us something different. A chance to believe that the impossible can happen. Why? Because it can.

Buster Douglas beat Mike Tyson. All bets are officially off!

Dude, I get popup ads all the time about pills that can make your weiner bigger. You should try them!

I can speak for our generation (Myself, 80, Barton, Jetsfan80) and would have to say that that Steelers game was probably our first true tasting of the Jets having many chances to win a game but failed and came up short. Sure the losses to Denver in '98, Oakland in '01 & '02 were hard, but the Pittsburgh loss in '04 might've been the hardest bullet to bite. The Denver game is a very close second however.

I don't know. I slept on the floor in my bathroom after Denver. :shutit:

Archived