COULD REVIS RE-ENTER THE DRAFT?

ECURB

From profootballtalk.com

A league source tells us that the primary snag in the talks between the Jets and cornerback Darrelle Revis, the No. 14 overall pick in the draft, is that the Jets are insisting on Revis signing a six-year deal, but that Revis wants a five-year contract.

With so many players taken in the top 16 signing deals of five years in duration instead of the CBA maximum of six seasons, the refusal of the Jets to do a five-year deal could cause this to become one of the lengthier holdouts of the bunch. And there are indications that, unless the Jets yield on this point, Revis might sit out the entire season and re-enter the draft.

Keep this in mind -- the uncle of Revis, Sean Gilbert, once sat out an entire season in a dispute with the Redskins. And thereafter Gilbert got paid a bunch of money.

Will it happen with Revis? At this point, it's way too early to tell. But, unlike every other rookie or holdout, he's a least got someone in the family who played the patience game, and eventually won it. So if the Jets won't drop the demand for a six-year deal and unless the six-year deal compensates Revis fully and fairly for the extra year of free agency that he'll be sacrificing, Revis could end up re-entering the draft in 2008.

You have a better chance of seeing max run 10 miles then seeing him wait a whole yr for his payday.

You would be surprised at the size of a loan a guy pretty much set to make it in the NFL could get...

Revis better be what he is advertised for. Anything less and he will look like a fool.

I disagree, anything less and the Jets front office will look like fools. As I said in my thread, Tannenbaum is the one screwing this up. When only one pick has signed a 6 year deal and its the fourth pick in the draft its absurd to expect the 14th pick to go for a six year deal when he wants five. Picks 6-21 are all signed except for Revis and all of them have five year deals.

Also even if he signs a six year deal he would probably hold out that year for a new contract and everyone will bitch at him for taking a six year deal and not playing it out.

:roll: Whatever you say...

Is that how you feel about Kendall?

Cant compare the two. Kendall is already under contract. IMO he should just shut up and play as per the contract he signed. You really cant sompare different situations.

What else is he supposed to be focused on?

lol

Why cant he at least go watch camp? I know for injury risks you dont want to participate... but why not at least be there and try to learn?

lol

Why cant he at least go watch camp? I know for injury risks you dont want to participate... but why not at least be there and try to learn?

Because the CBA doesn't allow him to be there unless he's signed.

EDIT: Vilma he is focused on that but he wants a five year contract like every other first rounder except for Gaines Adams.

I disagree, anything less and the Jets front office will look like fools. As I said in my thread, Tannenbaum is the one screwing this up. When only one pick has signed a 6 year deal and its the fourth pick in the draft its absurd to expect the 14th pick to go for a six year deal when he wants five. Picks 6-21 are all signed except for Revis and all of them have five year deals.

Also even if he signs a six year deal he would probably hold out that year for a new contract and everyone will bitch at him for taking a six year deal and not playing it out.

I competely agree. I think the team is fighting the wrong battle with this one. Give the Kid a five year deal and get him in camp

Keep Calm guys!!! Revis will sign. Tannenbaum will get it done. He wont allow any rookie to be a blemish on his career.

Well, for this to end one of two things needs to happen, either Revis caves and is the sucker of the draft class taking a 6 year deal even though everyone else remotely near him took 5, or the Jets look foolish because they rolled and gave in and went with the 5 years the rookie wanted.

As a man of principle I would tell the jets to stick it, no way I would want to play for someone who wanted to railroad me like that when the rest of the draft class got a different deal.

Can the Jets really have a bug up their @ss like this because they traded up for him? That isn't fair to the player, he was a legit pick in the draft at that spot.

Cant compare the two. Kendall is already under contract. IMO he should just shut up and play as per the contract he signed. You really cant sompare different situations.

Actually the two are closer then you think at first. If revis gets the deal he believes is fair now, he won't be holding out later to renegotiate. Kendell did his last negotiation under the assumption that the jets would later revisit and adjust it, which they now refuse to do with this strict policy of not renegotiating. If I am Revis and I see the front office playing hardball like this on renegotiations, I am going to fight for the deal I believe is fair. 5 years is fair in this year's draft, 6 is definitely not.

Archived