Falcons might trade for QB Brunell

faba

The Atlanta Falcons are believed to be talking to the Redskins about a trade for quarterback Brunell.

Michael "Dogfighting Man" Vick might never play another snap for the Falcons, who lost backup D.J. Shockley to season-ending knee injury last Friday. Atlanta's only quarterbacks behind new starter Joey Harrington, the Detroit and Miami bust, are Chris Redman, whose last game was with Baltimore in 2003, and Casey Bramlet, who was cut by the Redskins on Aug. 6.

Brunell, who could be on his way to third-string status in Washington, played for new Falcons coach Bobby Petrino in Jacksonville from 1999-2001 so he's familar with the scheme. Brunell, who'll be 37 next month, doesn't have much left, but he could get the Falcons through the season if Harrington can't. Petrino could then draft Brian Brohm, his former Louisville quarterback in April.

The risk for the Redskins is that Todd Collins, fighting with Brunell to be No. 2 behind Jason Campbell, has thrown all of 27 passes the past nine seasons. What's more, Campbell badly bruised his left knee on Saturday. It make sense to sit him out of the final two preseason games. If anything would happen to Collins, the Redskins would be left with rookie Jordan Palmer, whom the coaches haven't let play in preseason so far.

Still, obtaining a mid-round draft pick for a quarterback on his way out is worth the gamble.

David Carr never tried in practices, never fully learned the play book and was reportedly a cancer and slept through team meetings. He did get sacked a lot, but the real reason why he failed was that he was an idiot.

Is all of that true? Wow, never realized. I knew he never got rid of the ball & it was all blamed on the OL. Like the Texans/Titans game last year. Carr's in there for half the game & gets sacked 4x on 25 pass attempts; the great Sage Rosenfels is in there for the 2nd half of the game & doesn't get sacked once in 25 pass attempts.

Is it me or was I only one of a handfull of people who thought Joey Harrington didn't do too bad in Miami? I believe in Harrington and if Roddy White and Joe Horn can give him a serviceable 1 and 2 receiver, Harrington can lead this Atlanta team to an 8-8 season. At this point in his career, I don't see Mark Brunell being able to do any better.

Is it me or was I only one of a handfull of people who thought Joey Harrington didn't do too bad in Miami? I believe in Harrington and if Roddy White and Joe Horn can give him a serviceable 1 and 2 receiver, Harrington can lead this Atlanta team to an 8-8 season. At this point in his career, I don't see Mark Brunell being able to do any better.

i like their defense and O-line, i think they could pull a winning record on this season. if they were in the AFC they'd be screwed...

FWIW, on the atlanta sites it seems the receiver will be jenkins, and horn, not white. I like Jenkins too, i was hoping he would go to a team i actually like...oh well.

I took this more as Brunell would be Harringtons insurance since the Falcons lost their back up DJ Shockley for the season. I think the know Brunell would be no better then Joey.

I took this more as Brunell would be Harringtons insurance since the Falcons lost their back up DJ Shockley for the season. I think the know Brunell would be no better then Joey.

Shockley was in competition with Chris Redman though so in order for that to work, Shockley must've been the leading candidate to win the job. If so, then I can see why they'd want Brunell as an insurance policy but there will probably be cheaper options out there (I.E. - Kelly Holcomb).

I think Harrington and Carr are examples of QBs that are bad but are overrated by people that can't accept they are genuinely bad. Kind of like how Chad will always have people make excuses for him and see the good in him and ignore all the bad. I guess it's a positive outlook on life to think that way but in all honesty I do not think it's good for talent evaluation. If Kubiak could do nothing with Carr he is hopeless. The guy made Jake Plummer look like an NFL QB after all, so he can work miracles. Harrington also had his shots and failed miserably.

David Carr never tried in practices, never fully learned the play book and was reportedly a cancer and slept through team meetings. He did get sacked a lot, but the real reason why he failed was that he was an idiot.

I live an hour and a half from Houston and I have never heard any of that stuff about Carr.

Archived