Jets | Clemens will start Week 2

Smizzy

Don't put me in with those 2. I hope Kellen plays well and i'll be rooting for him.

And did I ever say I wouldn't be rooting for Kellen? My words were "I am excited for when Chad comes back." I never said that I wasn't going to root for Kellen.

And I hope to God that Kellen is never treated the way Chad has been treated because Chad's been treated like a POS. He's far from it. He's been a playoff QB.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply
And did I ever say I wouldn't be rooting for Kellen? My words were "I am excited for when Chad comes back." I never said that I wasn't going to root for Kellen.

And I hope to God that Kellen is never treated the way Chad has been treated because Chad's been treated like a POS. He's far from it. He's been a playoff QB.

Then maybe you should start treating Clemens the way you think Chad should be treated, instead of railing against the guy and then claiming you're rooting for him. Give me a break, we're not that stupid. It's like an arsonist claiming to be a firefighter wtf.

Will you have 1 oz of bitterness if Kellen comes out and throws for 667 yards and 11 TD's agaisnt the Ravens? Will ya,Will ya?

Then maybe you should start treating Clemens the way you think Chad should be treated, instead of railing against the guy and then claiming you're rooting for him. Give me a break, we're not that stupid. It's like an arsonist claiming to be a firefighter wtf.

:Nuts:

By doing what saying that Chad is the man till I see how Kellen plays?! What the hell is wrong with that? There is nothing wrong with the way I see it. I support Chad, I support Kellen. I happen to LIKE the job Chad has done, and I am not running him out of town. I am excited for his return, the same as y'all are for Kellen to play. There isn't anything wrong with it. I never said anything nasty about Kellen, I said I haven't seen anything that fascinates me about him thus far. That's all. Nothing wrong with that. Sunday I shall see if it changes my mind. I don't think he should be babied. He's in the NFL.

By doing what saying that Chad is the man till I see how Kellen plays?! What the hell is wrong with that? There is nothing wrong with the way I see it. I support Chad, I support Kellen. I happen to LIKE the job Chad has done, and I am not running him out of town. I am excited for his return, the same as y'all are for Kellen to play. There isn't anything wrong with it. I never said anything nasty about Kellen, I said I haven't seen anything that fascinates me about him thus far. That's all. Nothing wrong with that. Sunday I shall see if it changes my mind. I don't think he should be babied. He's in the NFL.

So why do you baby Pennington and make it seem like he played amazingly when he's remarkably average.

I'm gonna do this, I'm not gonna say a word about Kellen or Chad (except about Chad's injury, un-Kellen related) till Sunday night, after I watch the game. Fair enough. I'll base my opinion on what I see. All this back and forth is pointless till then.

I'm going to make a wild guess and say you'll be disappointed no matter what.

Anything short of a 300 yds 4 TD and a 2 minute game winning drive and nobody's talking QB controversy.

We're watching that Marshmellow defense.

So then you must think if Cincy acquired Chad this past off-season in a trade that, after throwing for under 200 yards against Baltimore, there'd be no controversy: Carson Palmer would have to be benched in favor of Chad Pennington since - at home - he threw for under 200 yards & only 2 TD's despite weapons like Chad Johnson & TJ Housh, a far better OL & ground game.

I just want to get this straight. In his first NFL start, on the road, without taking nearly as many first-team snaps in pre-season, Kellen Clemens should be held to a higher standard than veteran, top 3-5 QB Carson Palmer, who has a better supporting cast around him at every position except possibly OC, who was playing in front of his home crowd, and whose coaches had more than 1 week to gameplan.

Do I have that right?

It has begun

I have been a football fan for 30 years, and in a game like this anything can happen, I like the Jets in a shocking upset ,in a turn over plagued game by a field goal in the 4th quarter that barely makes it. The Ravens are beat up and dont look as good as I thought they were plus they are on the road. the Jets took a terrible beating last week and have to be very very hungry.

Jets 20

Ravens 17

LC

I have been a football fan for 30 years, and in a game like this anything can happen, I like the Jets in a shocking upset ,in a turn over plagued game by a field goal in the 4th quarter that barely makes it. The Ravens are beat up and dont look as good as I thought they were plus they are on the road. the Jets took a terrible beating last week and have to be very very hungry.

Jets 20

Ravens 17

LC

Or you could look at it this way

Ravens home opener

Ravens angry after lost to Bengals

Jets can't protect QB

Jets can't get pressure on QB

Jets can't run ball

Ravens have Willis McGahee.

I really don't like the matchup, so I am not expecting much this weekend.

I want to Clemens play. I want to see him play well. It is though going to take some time.

See I knew this was going to happen. The Pennington camp wants to see what Clemens can do NOW. The thing is very few QB's come in right off the bat and tear things up. Nagle did in his first start and then regressed to the point where he was gone the following season. (I do though think he got a raw deal from Coslet, but that is another story for another time).

Give Clemens a 7-8 game stretch and we should start seeing if the he is the real deal. I honestly hope he is.

Give Clemens a 7-8 game stretch and we should start seeing if the he is the real deal. I honestly hope he is.

The question is though will he have that kind of opportunity? As I said yesterday, this is a bad thing for Kellen if he is only getting one start out of it. I want to see him start at least this week and next week against Miami. In all honestey I hope he isn't sat down for the rest of the season, but that will probably not happen because it appears Chad will be back soon.

The question is though will he have that kind of opportunity? As I said yesterday, this is a bad thing for Kellen if he is only getting one start out of it. I want to see him start at least this week and next week against Miami. In all honestey I hope he isn't sat down for the rest of the season, but that will probably not happen because it appears Chad will be back soon.

That is what we need to find out.

We have no idea how bad the ankle is. We can speculate all we want but if we learned anything from Curtis Martin's ankle issues in 2002 they don't go away in a week. So my guess is that not only will we see Clemens this week against the Ravens but most likely next week against the Dolphins as well.

I could be wrong but I believe enough in Mangini that he will put the QB in there that will give the Jets the best chance to win that given week.

We are going to find out though real soon.

Here's the bottom line:

He's not the next Brett Favre if he has a great game sunday, and he's not the next Tim Couch if he doesnt.

Does he need to show glimpses of excellence this year, assuming he starts the rest of the season? OF COURSE. But he will also need a solid 2 seasons of play under his belt before we completely write him off OR annoint him as our next franchise QB.

That pretty much sums it up right there. Maybe people who are "pro-Chad" are always on the defensive but its pretty irrational to expect a kid in his FIRST EVER CAREER START to play great against a top 3 defense that is argueably the most talented in the league.

What you should expect for him is to play smart and try to show some poise out there and show flashes of being a good QB. THAT'S ALL YOU CAN EXPECT. Anything more than that and you should be very impressed considering the situation he's been thrown into. Great veteran QB's don't light up this defense. If he plays poorly, he still needs more time since it takes almost all young QBs a while to get the hang of things.

The reason he cannot be held to the same standard as Chad is because he has been in the league 7 less seasons!

Can we please try to use common sense here people.

So then you must think if Cincy acquired Chad this past off-season in a trade that, after throwing for under 200 yards against Baltimore, there'd be no controversy: Carson Palmer would have to be benched in favor of Chad Pennington since - at home - he threw for under 200 yards & only 2 TD's despite weapons like Chad Johnson & TJ Housh, a far better OL & ground game.

I just want to get this straight. In his first NFL start, on the road, without taking nearly as many first-team snaps in pre-season, Kellen Clemens should be held to a higher standard than veteran, top 3-5 QB Carson Palmer, who has a better supporting cast around him at every position except possibly OC, who was playing in front of his home crowd, and whose coaches had more than 1 week to gameplan.

Do I have that right?

Sperm, I always respect when you disagree with me and i find you a very knowledable fan with whom I enjoy talking Jets football with,

but,man,

I read that post 3 times and I have no f---ing idea what you are saying!Sorry.

Carson Palmer is the Bengals starter.period. He has proved himself. If his backup(whoever that is) had to start for a game and played lights out I wouldn't expect Palmer to be benched.

Palmer and Chad had very similar games against great defenses last week. The difference was Chad scored a TD drive one one foot and left the game early because it was over..........

WHICH SEGWAYS INTO MY ORIGINAL POINT:

It's the defense that is the problem right now, not the starting QB!!!!

No matter what KC does, he will do it as the backup QB!

Archived