Pretty F'in Sad, or 'With the 3rd Pick in the 2008 NFL Draft...'

SouthernJet

No because like someone said he is too small to be a dominant 3-4 end.

If we draft another undersized defender in that front 4 I will lose it.

We need size on D, Long doesnt give us that!!!!!

He's big enough to play DE the only place where we need size is at NT. Sadly there are no good NTs in this years draft so we're kind of screwed.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
While you all have wet dreams about McFadden people like me and 124 will be praying we don't do the dumb thing you want and draft him. I don't know enough about him i'll be the first to admit it. But running back is not our biggest need. Nor are second biggest need.

you never draft a player by need, always take BAP unless you have Peyton manning and BAP is a QB,

3rd pick my ass, we will lose to MIA in florida, and St Louis will find at least 3 wins. We are probably going first overall come draft day. Oh well, at least going to the draft will be fun this year, and we won't have to sit through hours of other teams picks, lol.

I will love that, and we will be on ESPN a lot. LOL

We need someone that can get to the QB. We need to be able to get pressure, then we need an guard that can be a serious road grater for the ground game. We do not need another running back.

never ever draft a player on need

if both have same draft grade, then go with need

I have heard that but, we drafted o-line because of need, I believe we drafted revis because of need. We are not spending any money to fix the holes so how else do we acomplish filling the gaps?

I'm a BAP fan too, but your theory only holds for the earlier rounds. In the later rounds you need to get what you need to get. There is no reason to draft guys that project worse than your third string. Of course a big part of that is the fact that those late round guys all have draft grades that are very similar. By drafting BAP all the time you can't build through the draft, but you have to hit the FAs hard to fill your holes. It's not a bad idea, but this regime hasn't done much with the FA market.

FWIW, I think we do need another RB and offensive linemen, but I guess we're stuck with Jones.

you never draft a player by need, always take BAP unless you have Peyton manning and BAP is a QB,

I don't believe that at all. The draft is such a crapshoot, you don't actually know who is BAP at these positions, so at least go need so you can fill a hole rather than have someone on the bench that you won't be able to trade away anyway. If you can trade down and get good value and BAP is there for you, you could do that, but teams usually will not do that, you need a willing trade partner to trade down. The Texans projected Mario Williams over Bush, and probably wanted to trade down, but could not find anyone. At the time Williams was not considered BAP.

You will never have Peyton Manning and a definite BAP QB, because Peyton Manning will never allow you to get a top 5 pick in the draft. Perhaps if he was injured for the season but that is it, and one of the reasons he is one of the top QBs is he does not miss seasons.

I don't believe that at all. The draft is such a crapshoot, you don't actually know who is BAP at these positions, so at least go need so you can fill a hole rather than have someone on the bench that you won't be able to trade away anyway. If you can trade down and get good value and BAP is there for you, you could do that, but teams usually will not do that, you need a willing trade partner to trade down. The Texans projected Mario Williams over Bush, and probably wanted to trade down, but could not find anyone. At the time Williams was not considered BAP.

You will never have Peyton Manning and a definite BAP QB, because Peyton Manning will never allow you to get a top 5 pick in the draft. Perhaps if he was injured for the season but that is it, and one of the reasons he is one of the top QBs is he does not miss seasons.

If Jets have Run DMC with a grade of 9.7 and take Dorsey or Long and their

grade is 9.2, then the front office should be shot on the spot.

i agree with the later rounds you can gamble a bit on need , but the draft

grade still should be in ballpark..not like schlegal

If Jets have Run DMC with a grade of 9.7 and take Dorsey or Long and their

grade is 9.2, then the front office should be shot on the spot.

i agree with the later rounds you can gamble a bit on need , but the draft

grade still should be in ballpark..not like schlegal

You are right of course. I think maybe it also depends on who we have. TJ is not a 9.7 himself clearly. If we get #1 pick and pass on McFadden this FO needs to be shot.

You are right of course. I think maybe it also depends on who we have. TJ is not a 9.7 himself clearly. If we get #1 pick and pass on McFadden this FO needs to be shot.

Yay, another DMC fan.

I hope to God we get him, he could make the next 10 years very very special for us Jet fans!!!

I can't believe we would take a RB with a top-5 pick. Not after shelling out so much money for Jones. He simply makes too much & eats up too much of our cap to burn a top-5 pick and upwards of $40-50M on yet another RB.

Jones is simply too expensive to cut until after his 3rd year here. Such is the salary cap era. There is absolutely no way we are trading or cutting Thomas Jones and absorbing a $9M accelerated dead-space cap hit. NONE WHATSOEVER.

A solid OL with a mediocre RB like Jones is more reliable than a flashy RB who's going to get 10-15 touches per game in a McFadden-Jones-Leon tandem.

I'd rather trade down a handful of slots and take someone like Groves to move to OLB. If we do end up with a top-3 pick, dropping down to #10 (if there's a willing trade partner) would net a whole lot. From 3 to 6 would net that team's 2nd-rounder (~#38). Dropping down again to #10 nets that team's 3rd (#74) and 4th (#107) round picks. Plus a top-3 pick nowadays is going to get a contract in the $45M range. For someone who has never played in the NFL that is insanity.

So which is better?

#3 overall with a $45M contract

or

#10 overall with an $18M contract

#38 overall with a $5-6M contract

#74 overall with a $2-3M contract

#107 overall with a $1-2M contract

(total = about $27M-$28M)

Thomas Jones - who's shorter, heavier, and stronger - isn't big enough to do damage behind this OL. Now we're going to go with someone who's 5-10 lbs lighter despite being 4" taller? He'll need to put on some weight in the NFL and that could easily cause him to lose some of his explosiveness. That and the lack of mediocre NCAA type talent on opposing teams' starting front-seven.

I'd much rather go with a legit pass-rusher for less than half the price plus 3 more good draft picks & use that extra cap space in free agency on a stud FA like Faneca instead of another David Bowens equivalent FA. 5 players with potentially 3-4 studs or 2 players, 1 of them a potential stud & the other a piece of crap.

Now trading down twice may not be so easy - in fact, it's very difficult - but I wouldn't keep that pick at all. WAYYYY too much $ for someone who, no matter how great he looks at times right now, might even be an outright bust at the NFL level.

We'd have enough cap space to pick up Faneca and (gasp!) replace Anthony Clement and STILL not max out our cap.

Keep in mind there's a good chance there will be about $10M in dead cap space between Pennington & DRob alone if they're both cut/traded. No way we double that by cutting/trading Thomas Jones so we can draft a rookie HB.

I can't believe we would take a RB with a top-5 pick. Not after shelling out so much money for Jones. He simply makes too much & eats up too much of our cap to burn a top-5 pick and upwards of $40-50M on yet another RB.

Jones is simply too expensive to cut until after his 3rd year here. Such is the salary cap era. There is absolutely no way we are trading or cutting Thomas Jones and absorbing a $9M accelerated dead-space cap hit. NONE WHATSOEVER.

A solid OL with a mediocre RB like Jones is more reliable than a flashy RB who's going to get 10-15 touches per game in a McFadden-Jones-Leon tandem.

I'd rather trade down a handful of slots and take someone like Groves to move to OLB. If we do end up with a top-3 pick, dropping down to #10 (if there's a willing trade partner) would net a whole lot. From 3 to 6 would net that team's 2nd-rounder (~#38). Dropping down again to #10 nets that team's 3rd (#74) and 4th (#107) round picks. Plus a top-3 pick nowadays is going to get a contract in the $45M range. For someone who has never played in the NFL that is insanity.

So which is better?

#3 overall with a $45M contract

or

#10 overall with an $18M contract

#38 overall with a $5-6M contract

#74 overall with a $2-3M contract

#107 overall with a $1-2M contract

(total = about $27M-$28M)

Thomas Jones - who's shorter, heavier, and stronger - isn't big enough to do damage behind this OL. Now we're going to go with someone who's 5-10 lbs lighter despite being 4" taller? He'll need to put on some weight in the NFL and that could easily cause him to lose some of his explosiveness. That and the lack of mediocre NCAA type talent on opposing teams' starting front-seven.

I'd much rather go with a legit pass-rusher for less than half the price plus 3 more good draft picks & use that extra cap space in free agency on a stud FA like Faneca instead of another David Bowens equivalent FA. 5 players with potentially 3-4 studs or 2 players, 1 of them a potential stud & the other a piece of crap.

Now trading down twice may not be so easy - in fact, it's very difficult - but I wouldn't keep that pick at all. WAYYYY too much $ for someone who, no matter how great he looks at times right now, might even be an outright bust at the NFL level.

We'd have enough cap space to pick up Faneca and (gasp!) replace Anthony Clement and STILL not max out our cap.

Keep in mind there's a good chance there will be about $10M in dead cap space between Pennington & DRob alone if they're both cut/traded. No way we double that by cutting/trading Thomas Jones so we can draft a rookie HB.

Good post Sperm but who says we have to get rid of Thomas Jones.:confused0082:

The Vikings had a decent tandem in Taylor and Moore, The Saints had McCallister but the oppurtunity was there and they took it.

I think we could utilize a three headed monster with Jones,McFadden and Leon to great effect, also the long term benifits of drafting McFadden may be awesome.

Of Course he could be a bust, anyone can. I'd still take my chances with the potential superstar.

Good post Sperm but who says we have to get rid of Thomas Jones.:confused0082:

The Vikings had a decent tandem in Taylor and Moore, The Saints had McCallister but the oppurtunity was there and they took it.

I think we could utilize a three headed monster with Jones,McFadden and Leon to great effect, also the long term benifits of drafting McFadden may be awesome.

Of Course he could be a bust, anyone can. I'd still take my chances with the potential superstar.

Hey I hear that, and I agree 100% if we were talking about free agents.

But it's not merely like it's just one pick over 3-4 (which is considerable). You're also gambling the franchise on one draft pick b/c of his bloated salary. Further, who's to say he's that much better of a pro prospect than someone who will go off the board at ~#10 (at a position with a much bigger team hole to boot). Let alone a better stud at a position we've already put so much money into.

And it still leaves us without a short-yardage/goal-line power HB. That McFadden guy's legs look like pretzel sticks.

Regarding getting rid of Jones, I've read it about a dozen times from various people who clearly think we don't need to adhere to the salary cap.

I just hope the Jets don't draft another DBrick with the 3rd pick in the draft. He's a nice player, but DBrick looks like your avg OL. Not even close to being worth the 4th pick in the draft at this point. Yeah give him time, but unless he puts on more weight and muscle and learns how to run block, he's your avg OL. Nothing special. We'd be calling him a bust if he were a QB or RB at this point.

he doesn't need a great line

Do you watch the NFL? Besides Barry Sanders and maybe Jim Brown, very few RBs are great with a bad OL.

Mr. Smith in Dallas had one of the best OL in the NFL. The Jets had a decent OL when Curtis Martin was running.

A bad OL will not make a RB great. He might make a few decent runs, but for the most part, if the Jets do nothing about the OL, there is no RB in the current NFL or college who would make this team better.

Archived