Gammons says Tigers get Cabrera and Willis

GimmeShelter

That's alot to give up for those 2 guys

I think Willis is great, but he'll take a hit coming over to the AL....and your really don;t know what you get wiht the gu...good and bad

Also, Cabrera with a long term deal could possibly eat himself out of the league

That's alot to give up for those 2 guys

I think Willis is great, but he'll take a hit coming over to the AL....and your really don;t know what you get wiht the gu...good and bad

Also, Cabrera with a long term deal could possibly eat himself out of the league

Bad news/good news. Willis in the AL is a disaster in the making, but Ordonez and Cabrera is one hell of a 3/4 in any lineup.

One of my friend's called and told me about the deal while I was driving on the highway, and I thought he was bulls***ing me. Wow. I don't know what to make of this yet. We gave up a lot of talent for these guys. A LOT. Our minor league cupboard is pretty much bare right now due to the trades we've been making lately. Maybin and Miller are going to be stars. No doubt about it. Maybin has got some great talent and is a 5 tool guy. Struggled a little bit when he got called up last year, but he's also only 20. I was more pissed off that he was leaving than I was Miller, but with Granderson solidifyed at CF, it was gonna be hard finding a spot for him.

Illitch recently has been adament in his desire for a WS ring before he croaks. This team looks like a "win now" team. If they bring a WS title to detroit, I won't mind that. But DD better be working on building back up that system, and fast.

That said, I'm looking at this lineup and giggling like a 5 year old boy.

Lineup

1. CF Curtis Granderson

2. 2B Placido Polanco

3. 3B/LF Miguel Cabrera

4. RF Magglio Ordonez

5. DH Gary Sheffield

6. 1B Carlos Guillen

7. SS Edgar Renteria

8. C Pudge Rodriguez

9. LF Jacque Jones

That my friends is a sick lineup.

One of my friend's called and told me about the deal while I was driving on the highway, and I thought he was bulls***ing me. Wow. I don't know what to make of this yet. We gave up a lot of talent for these guys. A LOT. Our minor league cupboard is pretty much bare right now due to the trades we've been making lately. Maybin and Miller are going to be stars. No doubt about it. Maybin has got some great talent and is a 5 tool guy. Struggled a little bit when he got called up last year, but he's also only 20. I was more pissed off that he was leaving than I was Miller, but with Granderson solidifyed at CF, it was gonna be hard finding a spot for him.

Illitch recently has been adament in his desire for a WS ring before he croaks. This team looks like a "win now" team. If they bring a WS title to detroit, I won't mind that. But DD better be working on building back up that system, and fast.

That said, I'm looking at this lineup and giggling like a 5 year old boy.

Lineup

1. CF Curtis Granderson

2. 2B Placido Polanco

3. 3B/LF Miguel Cabrera

4. RF Magglio Ordonez

5. DH Gary Sheffield

6. 1B Carlos Guillen

7. SS Edgar Renteria

8. C Pudge Rodriguez

9. LF Jacque Jones

That my friends is a sick lineup.

other than Jones, its not a bad lineup. if he finds his power he could round out this lineup.

i'm just saying he sucks. :)

the lineup could always be better....

Jacque Jones does suck, but you'll be hard pressed to find a better hitter for the 9 hole. It's not like he's Neifi Perez. He's a useful player, just not hitting everyday in an NL lineup.

Great trade for the Tigers, for the present. I agree with the previous poster that the Tigers Farm System is a joke now. The cupboard is really bare.

But, this Tiger team, with the age in the lineup, is a "win-now" team. There are still questions in the pen, especially with Zumya out for a while. But they have solid overall pitching, and a great lineup.

Only issues I see are if Sheff gets hurt again, and Pudge continues his decline. But even then, it is still a strong lineup. Pitching-wise, Rogers seems to never pitch like his age, and Verlander is a stud, one of the best there is. The rest of the starters are solid. Willis will get rocked in the AL, but he should do enough as a #5, to be OK.

Great trade for the Tigers, for the present. I agree with the previous poster that the Tigers Farm System is a joke now. The cupboard is really bare.

But, this Tiger team, with the age in the lineup, is a "win-now" team. There are still questions in the pen, especially with Zumya out for a while. But they have solid overall pitching, and a great lineup.

Only issues I see are if Sheff gets hurt again, and Pudge continues his decline. But even then, it is still a strong lineup. Pitching-wise, Rogers seems to never pitch like his age, and Verlander is a stud, one of the best there is. The rest of the starters are solid. Willis will get rocked in the AL, but he should do enough as a #5, to be OK.

What is that based on? The guy has had one bad year and you say he "should do enough" to be a ok #5. Taking Willis at age 26 is a no brainer. Detroits line-up age is not much different than the Yanks or Boston.

Great trade for Detroit as when you trade prospects and still get VERY YOUNG established stars in return you did just fine.

What is that based on? The guy has had one bad year and you say he "should do enough" to be a ok #5. Taking Willis at age 26 is a no brainer. Detroits line-up age is not much different than the Yanks or Boston.

Great trade for Detroit as when you trade prospects and still get VERY YOUNG established stars in return you did just fine.

Read all the scouting reports on Willis lately, and from last season. Many think that there is something not right with his delivery, and it is hurting his command (not control). And he is getting hit hard because of it.

IMO, if a pitcher gets hit in the NL, he will struggle in the AL. Aside from the Phils, and to a lesser extent, the Cubbies and Mets, who in the NL can compete with a lineup like the Bosox, Yankees, Jays, Indians, et al.

Read all the scouting reports on Willis lately, and from last season. Many think that there is something not right with his delivery, and it is hurting his command (not control). And he is getting hit hard because of it.

IMO, if a pitcher gets hit in the NL, he will struggle in the AL. Aside from the Phils, and to a lesser extent, the Cubbies and Mets, who in the NL can compete with a lineup like the Bosox, Yankees, Jays, Indians, et al.

I wouldn't write him off based on one year. It's not like he has struggled his entire career either and again he's 26.

He's pitched well against Boston-Yanks and Indians already in 06. The Jays line-up is nothing special at all while the NL also has the Rockies and Braves line-ups that can hit.

He may need a season but he'll be fine.... good pitching is good pitching. We heard the same crap with Beckett.

He did have a drop off last year, as I think more and more people picked up on his delivery. But this is also something the Detroit pitching staff can work on. I'm not convinced he's going to absolutely tank like some people are predicting. He was expected to be the #1 in Florida and with playing on a s*** team like that your expected to handle most of the workload. With Detroit, he's going to be a #4 guy and have a chance to relax and work on his mechanics.

Our cupboard is bare, but you've got to make bold moves to win championships. Tigers just made one here. The Indians, White Sox, and Twins just s*** their pants hearing what our lineup is going to look like.

Our cupboard is bare, but you've got to make bold moves to win championships. Tigers just made one here. The Indians, White Sox, and Twins just s*** their pants hearing what our lineup is going to look like.

Agree with the "bold moves" issue. Tigers need to go for it all now, as who knows how much longer Sheff and Pudge stay at this level.

Are you inferring that the Royals are not worried about this move? Must be that Guillen signing.;)

The Tigers lineup may set records for runs scored this year. No easy out all through the line-up.

lol hahahaha lets not get ahead of ourselves

it might not even better than NY and Boston's lineups

Magglio and Granderson are gonig to come back down to earth I think, hard to top last year's outputs. Sheffield is only getting older and doesn't have roids anymore. Pudge is out of roids too.

Agree with the "bold moves" issue. Tigers need to go for it all now, as who knows how much longer Sheff and Pudge stay at this level.

Are you inferring that the Royals are not worried about this move? Must be that Guillen signing.;)

I think the Royals expect to win no less than 105 games this year. :lol:

Wow, just wow. Why could the Yankees not give the Marlins six nobody's? This blows big time. The Tigers are now the #1 contender to the Red Sox.

It isn't 6 nobodies. It's two of the top prospects in the game and a few other players who have a better chance of contributing at the major league level than not. I do agree with your final thought though.

Wow, just wow. Why could the Yankees not give the Marlins six nobody's? This blows big time. The Tigers are now the #1 contender to the Red Sox.

I also disagree big time with your opinion. I have followed the Minors for decades, and consider myself well informed. True, I know a lot more about the Yankee's prospect then any other team's. However, I have a working knowledge about most AAA and AA players, especially those who are highly ranked.

The Marlins gave up a lot in talent with Miggy and the D-Train. Almost 1/2 their payroll, in fact. But they got back the cream of the Tiger's Farm. Go check out the stats of these guys. Really good. Miller may be a stud as soon as this season, especially in that Ballpark. And Maybin is about a year away, but has all he tools. He and H. Ramirez will be 2 very exciting players in the Marlins lineup by 2009, the latest.

Solid trade for Florida, although the full benefits will not be apparent until 3-4 years down the road.

Maybin and Miller are going to be stars. They've got great talent, and I can't say that I wasn't a little peeved to see them getting sent off. I was more pissed about Maybin because this is a guy who is goin to be lights out. Can hit the living piss out of the ball.

This wasn't the Tigers giving up garbage players. They gave away the cream of their crop. Eulogio de la Cruz is a future closer who's hit 100 on the gun, and Trahern will be a starter someday.

Archived