Jets renegotiate TE Chris Baker

Scott Dierking

Hmmmm. More money pushed to this year too. This club is setting iteslf up for a FA spending spree. Whether they can accomplish it, I don't know. There is lots of money out there.

As far the thought that Woody is frugal, I don't see it. Where he has had to, he has pushed more money earlier and made it with more guarantees.

From Star ledger:

TE Chris Baker, who was thought to be in Mangini's doghouse after criticizing the play-calling following a controversial loss to the Eagles in Week 6, quietly had his contract renegotiated last month, The Star-Ledger has learned.

Baker, in his sixth season, signed a new three-year contract worth $5.4 million. The complicated deal didn't include a signing bonus, but Baker received roughly $800,000 in new money. His base salary went from $850,000 this season to $2.37 million.

As with his previous contract, signed in March 2006, the new deal runs through 2009.

We should do all we can to pursue Faneca and Samuels. Faneca looks like he will give Pitt the home-town discount, but money talks. Samuels will want Clements type money, but maybe playing with Mangini and some insentives thrown at him we could lore him in. We also need a #3 WR, not mant big FA's out there, maybe we can aquire that through trade or draft.

We should do all we can to pursue Faneca and Samuels. Faneca looks like he will give Pitt the home-town discount, but money talks. Samuels will want Clements type money, but maybe playing with Mangini and some insentives thrown at him we could lore him in. We also need a #3 WR, not mant big FA's out there, maybe we can aquire that through trade or draft.

Faneca I could see...but not Samuels. We should try and make a run for Roy Williams from Detroit I hear he wants out. Totally agree that we have to make a splash in the FA market. This offseason is huge for this regime/organization IMO.

I don't think anyone wants to play for mangini after this season. Besides, Asante might turn in a bryan thomas type season...

Asante strikes me as a guy that just wants to get paid, not to play football. I'd pass, hope for Dyson's, and Miller's return. I still have faith in both.

it's no secret here that i'm a huge chris baker fan. this comes as great news to me.

It also helps quash jetcanes "everyone is in mangini's doghouse myth" :)

It's no myth. you just dont want to see his screwups.

Some players get out of the doghouse after a period of time. it doesnt mean they were never there.

This was a smart move by the Jets. Baker is an underrated TE. Hopefully we can get another TE in here to compliment him in two TE sets or maybe one of the other guys will develop.

As far as the offseason goes this may be the busiest offseason in Jets history.

This was a smart move by the Jets. Baker is an underrated TE. Hopefully we can get another TE in here to compliment him in two TE sets or maybe one of the other guys will develop.

As far as the offseason goes this may be the busiest offseason in Jets history.

or Tangni will be comfortable going into year 3 thinking that Clement, Ellis, D-rob, Barton, Barrett, Moore, no left guard, and hobson.

Again...

or Tangni will be comfortable going into year 3 thinking that Clement, Ellis, D-rob, Barton, Barrett, Moore, no left guard, and hobson.

Again...

I'm sure most of them will be replaced only if the replacements make sense. But armed with a full slate of draft picks, a lot of cap room and a couple of players to trade will give Tangini a lot of flexibity. But they will not overpay or mortgage the future for JAGS coming off a career year.

It's no myth. you just dont want to see his screwups.

Some players get out of the doghouse after a period of time. it doesnt mean they were never there.

you're right. I don't wanna see his screw ups.I don't care who's in his doghouse. I don't want him referred to as a moron. I wanna see him succeed with this franchise. I hate the pats too much these days to wish for anything but an Eric Mangini led jets team to win the 2008 afce crown. I don't wanna see a bill cowher led team beat the pats.

I'll take a real hard look at the guy & what he does in the offseason but right now i'm behind him & the jets 100%

I like the baker signing a lot. I hated how herm & co used baker

you're right. I don't wanna see his screw ups.I don't care who's in his doghouse. I don't want him referred to as a moron. I wanna see him succeed with this franchise. I hate the pats too much these days to wish for anything but an Eric Mangini led jets team to win the 2008 afce crown. I don't wanna see a bill cowher led team beat the pats.

I'll take a real hard look at the guy & what he does in the offseason but right now i'm behind him & the jets 100%

Okeedokee. To each his own.

lime_green.jpg

Hmmmm. More money pushed to this year too. This club is setting iteslf up for a FA spending spree. Whether they can accomplish it, I don't know. There is lots of money out there.

As far the thought that Woody is frugal, I don't see it. Where he has had to, he has pushed more money earlier and made it with more guarantees.

From Star ledger:

TE Chris Baker, who was thought to be in Mangini's doghouse after criticizing the play-calling following a controversial loss to the Eagles in Week 6, quietly had his contract renegotiated last month, The Star-Ledger has learned.

Baker, in his sixth season, signed a new three-year contract worth $5.4 million. The complicated deal didn't include a signing bonus, but Baker received roughly $800,000 in new money. His base salary went from $850,000 this season to $2.37 million.

As with his previous contract, signed in March 2006, the new deal runs through 2009.

great move,,GreenBeans was begging for this at bar Sunday,,Beans,,you have ESP

if i go 3-10 in cases i get canned. our criticism is appropriate and doesn't make us less of fans. i value wins over any one member of the organization-- even mangini. that being said, give him another year but i don't buy the whole "true fans shaddup with their gripes during the season."

if i go 3-10 in cases i get canned. our criticism is appropriate and doesn't make us less of fans. i value wins over any one member of the organization-- even mangini. that being said, give him another year but i don't buy the whole "true fans shaddup with their gripes during the season."

...or maybe his back was really hurt. Who has been in the "doghouse"? JMac? Doesn't everybody think he sucks? Barnes? He was a JAG to begin with.

At least you're conceding that he does in fact have a doghouse.

You know that the type of coach who makes a player run laps, and constantly singles players out in his pressers (yes, he did it again this week with Leon) does indeed have a doghouse.

McC for sure, Barnes for sure, Eric Smith for sure, Dyson for sure, have all been there this season to name a few. Maybe Barton currently. I'm sure there are others that may not be as obvious.

Kendall had it all to himself this summer. i think making him play third string center in the preseason was noticed by other players. He has ways of punishing guys- play them on the third string out of position, leaving them off the active roster, keeping them on the bench, etc.

It will be curious to see some FAs not racing over here to play for him next year.

So you're saying that if you go 3-10 on cases, you get canned?

How is this an extention if the contract still goes till 2009 same as the first one, seems all they did was move cash away from next year so we`d have more FA money avail.

That's right

Or maybe they are making his contract more tradeable if he is in the doghouse.

Just saying

You can say that again.

At least you're conceding that he does in fact have a doghouse.

You know that the type of coach who makes a player run laps, and constantly singles players out in his pressers (yes, he did it again this week with Leon) does indeed have a doghouse.

McC for sure, Barnes for sure, Eric Smith for sure, Dyson for sure, have all been there this season to name a few. Maybe Barton currently. I'm sure there are others that may not be as obvious.

Kendall had it all to himself this summer. i think making him play third string center in the preseason was noticed by other players. He has ways of punishing guys- play them on the third string out of position, leaving them off the active roster, keeping them on the bench, etc.

It will be curious to see some FAs not racing over here to play for him next year.

I left out Kendall. That one was obvious. Not sure about Smith. I think E. Coleman might have made it last year. As for Dyson, his play on the field has been bad enough that like JMac he may deserve to be in there. Both had been quality players in the past.

I left out Kendall. That one was obvious. Not sure about Smith. I think E. Coleman might have made it last year. As for Dyson, his play on the field has been bad enough that like JMac he may deserve to be in there. Both had been quality players in the past.

Dyson's story is the biggest enigma of the season imho, going all the way back to TC. i'm not sure who gave up on whom first- him on Mangini or the other way around. There is definitely more there than what meets the eye.

I am pretty sure about E Smith, and agree with you about E Coleman being in there last year.

Archived