I'm really sick of the media playing it up like the Jets are the bad guy...

NIGHT STALKER

Revenge, run up the score, getting even, rat...you get the drift here. Are we supposed to condone cheating? What kind of message are we sending each other...especially the kids? That it's okay to ****ing cheat?

The league imposed its punishment on the Pats for a reason...they didn't punish the Jets and yet the Jets are portrayed as the bad guys...the attached article really put me over the edge with this game tomorrow.

Run it up, Bill ... and run that weasel Mangini right outta town

Dec. 12, 2007

By Gregg Doyel

CBSSports.com National Columnist

Tell Gregg your opinion!

God is not cooperating. God or Jon Kitna or Al Gore or whoever controls the weather is going to make it difficult for the New England Patriots to do what they have every right to do this weekend -- beat the hell out of the Jets.

The forecast for Sunday in Foxborough, Mass., calls for heavy wind and snow, which isn't conducive to the kind of Biblical beatdown that gamblers had anticipated and I, frankly, have been hoping to see.

Even non-Bill Belichick fans are rooting for the man in this one.

You read that right. I'm rooting for New England and its cold fish of a coach, Bill Belichick, to name the score Sunday against the Jets. Gamblers have already named the final margin, installing the Patriots as an NFL-record 27-point favorite, but for me that won't be enough. And I'm guessing it won't be enough for Belichick either.

The Patriots were the team found guilty by the NFL of cheating against the Jets earlier this season, but New York coach Eric Mangini emerged from that fiasco as the biggest jerk of all. And if you don't know where I stand on the size of Belichick's jerkiness, please read what I wrote at the time. Bill Belichick fan? Not me. Except for this weekend.

This weekend needs to be a payback to Mangini for his duplicity. If there's anything I hate more than Belichick a cheater, it's a two-faced cheater -- someone who cheats yet turns in someone else. College basketball coaches do this all the time, including a handful of Big 12 snakes who turned in Kelvin Sampson when he was breaking NCAA rules at Oklahoma. Cheaters make me sick, but cheaters who turn in other cheaters? They should be publicly humiliated.

That is Mangini's fate Sunday. He's the guy who triggered the NFL's investigation into New England's illegal videotaping habits. The Patriots were guilty, and they got caught, and that's the way it ought to be. But for Mangini to be the one to make it happen ... that's brutal. Mangini learned pretty much everything he knows about coaching from Belichick, and while you can believe Belichick never told his prot

Revenge, run up the score, getting even, rat...you get the drift here. Are we supposed to condone cheating? What kind of message are we sending each other...especially the kids? That it's okay to ****ing cheat?

The league imposed its punishment on the Pats for a reason...they didn't punish the Jets and yet the Jets are portrayed as the bad guys...the attached article really put me over the edge with this game tomorrow.

Run it up, Bill ... and run that weasel Mangini right outta town

Dec. 12, 2007

By Gregg Doyel

CBSSports.com National Columnist

Tell Gregg your opinion!

God is not cooperating. God or Jon Kitna or Al Gore or whoever controls the weather is going to make it difficult for the New England Patriots to do what they have every right to do this weekend -- beat the hell out of the Jets.

The forecast for Sunday in Foxborough, Mass., calls for heavy wind and snow, which isn't conducive to the kind of Biblical beatdown that gamblers had anticipated and I, frankly, have been hoping to see.

Even non-Bill Belichick fans are rooting for the man in this one.

You read that right. I'm rooting for New England and its cold fish of a coach, Bill Belichick, to name the score Sunday against the Jets. Gamblers have already named the final margin, installing the Patriots as an NFL-record 27-point favorite, but for me that won't be enough. And I'm guessing it won't be enough for Belichick either.

The Patriots were the team found guilty by the NFL of cheating against the Jets earlier this season, but New York coach Eric Mangini emerged from that fiasco as the biggest jerk of all. And if you don't know where I stand on the size of Belichick's jerkiness, please read what I wrote at the time. Bill Belichick fan? Not me. Except for this weekend.

This weekend needs to be a payback to Mangini for his duplicity. If there's anything I hate more than Belichick a cheater, it's a two-faced cheater -- someone who cheats yet turns in someone else. College basketball coaches do this all the time, including a handful of Big 12 snakes who turned in Kelvin Sampson when he was breaking NCAA rules at Oklahoma. Cheaters make me sick, but cheaters who turn in other cheaters? They should be publicly humiliated.

That is Mangini's fate Sunday. He's the guy who triggered the NFL's investigation into New England's illegal videotaping habits. The Patriots were guilty, and they got caught, and that's the way it ought to be. But for Mangini to be the one to make it happen ... that's brutal. Mangini learned pretty much everything he knows about coaching from Belichick, and while you can believe Belichick never told his prot

Well, get use to it. For 12 weeks the Pats have been the bad guys for doing the exact same thing the Jets did. Only difference is when the Jets did it BB told the guy to leave, when the Pats did it, EM made a federal case out of it.

Federal case? Where has Mangini ever made a comment on it? When did the Jets have a camera man on the sideline? Where are the allegations that the Jets tampered with the radio signals? I think that every team tapes the game. That's how they have film to review. They just don't all "review" the other teams signals like the Patriots.

Well, get use to it. For 12 weeks the Pats have been the bad guys for doing the exact same thing the Jets did. Only difference is when the Jets did it BB told the guy to leave, when the Pats did it, EM made a federal case out of it.

It wasn't the same thing, The Patsies were taping the SIGNALS!! The Jets were just taping from an area that they are not suppose to, they asked permission and The Pats say they didn't. It's he say, she say. If you want to say it's the same then go and enjoy your daytime soaps!

As for the article, the guy's a Ja&%#ss, although he's entitled to his own opinion.

I hope WE crush the Patsies!!

It wasn't the same thing, The Patsies were taping the SIGNALS!! The Jets were just taping from an area that they are not suppose to, they asked permission and The Pats say they didn't. It's he say, she say. If you want to say it's the same then go and enjoy your daytime soaps!

As for the article, the guy's a Ja&%#ss, although he's entitled to his own opinion.

I hope WE crush the Patsies!!

Which one is she?

Wow. Just STFU!!

Mangini did not comment on the incident at all. As for last season, it wasn't even close to the same thing. You guys were stealing signals, we were not.

The whole "rat" thing makes me laugh. Who started the whole don't ever snitch on someone who commits a crime or significant wrongdoing against others, the Mafia? It's one thing when a kid doesn't tattle on someone who took the last cookie and telling on someone that has cheated, especially against you. This is the same mentality that thugs try to sell with the "Stop Snitchin" campaign that stops any murder investigation cold in it's tracks because everyone is afraid to speak and be a rat. Who does that benefit? Only the bad guys. The whole don't rat or snitch mentality is a ridiculous concept. If you do the crime, then be prepared to accept the consequences. If you can't accept the consequences then live by everybody elses rules, it's as simple as that.

The whole "rat" thing makes me laugh. Who started the whole don't ever snitch on someone who commits a crime or significant wrongdoing against others, the Mafia? It's one thing when a kid doesn't tattle on someone who took the last cookie and telling on someone that has cheated, especially against you. This is the same mentality that thugs try to sell with the "Stop Snitchin" campaign that stops any murder investigation cold in it's tracks because everyone is afraid to speak and be a rat. Who does that benefit? Only the bad guys. The whole don't rat or snitch mentality is a ridiculous concept. If you do the crime, then be prepared to accept the consequences. If you can't accept the consequences then live by everybody elses rules, it's as simple as that.

IMO it's even lamer than that. It's one thing to expect "honor among thieves" and not to "rat" on your criminal cohorts. That's the whole LCN thing, but this would be like expecting the victim to not call the police to come and stop the people robbing them. Mangini wasn't supposed to be a rat? What was he supposed to do, kill the camera guy? Mangini and the Jets have basically not commented on the matter.

LMAO. From Don Banks:

The Jets are the team that spawned this all. They were the spark that ignited the Patriots' Sherman-esque march through the NFL this season, with everyone in the New England organization believing that New York ratted them out to the league regarding their video-taping practices in the first half of their season-opening meeting in the Meadowlands.

The loss of a first-round draft pick, the $750,000 in league-issued fines, the taint to their three-time Super Bowl-winning legacy, the embarrassment of being labeled "cheaters'' and having Don Shula hold forth on the possible need for an asterisk being applied to whatever history they make -- it's all directly traceable to the trouble-making Jets in the eyes of the Patriots.

No, Don, it's all directly traceable to the trouble-making PATRIOTS who started the whole damn thing.

I could not agree more.

It was the Patriots who cheated. Period.

I respect Mangini for not genuflecting to Belichick - and wish Goodell had the balls to step up.

The only commentary on this issue should be centered around getting to the bottom of why the league destroyed the evidence, on why Bellichick felt compelled to ignore the league office and continue breaking the rules and to truly determine if the Patriots gained an unfair advantage by doing what they were doing. Since when does Belichick do things that don't give him an advantage?

In my mind sports fans can't have it both ways: we can't criticize major league baseball for turning a blind eye all those years to steroids and the resulting damage done to the integrity of the game...and then give Goodell a pass for not pursuing this issue to its conclusion.

My genuine feelings: The Pats were doing something that gave them an unfair advantage versus their opponents (cheating) and if it were to come out the NFL, Vegas, etc. would have a major issue on its hands that would jeopardize public perception to the point that the NFL's stranglehold as Americas Pastime would be in trouble.

NFL brass wants this thing to go away...

Yeah it's not like Mangini would have gotten fired or anything if he spoke up about the videotaping while he was in Foxboro.

that's why it's retarded. Mangini couldn't have spoken up. I don't see him as a hypocrite because when he was in New England he wasn't in a position where he could report it.

If Belicheat found out that one of his staff told the league, he'd torture them all until someone admitted who did it, and then he'd probably have that person lynched.

LMAO. From Don Banks:

No, Don, it's all directly traceable to the trouble-making PATRIOTS who started the whole damn thing.

That's awesome. So, before they were caught cheating the Pats planned to lose a few games? They weren't going to try hard to win each game before their cheating ways were exposed? I love how the Jets were supposed to be worried that the Pats would "get even". **** them. Those guys are trying to kill each other on every play. What are they going to do, try harder?

snitches get stitches was started by criminals who didn't want to get caught.

low lives started that whole campaign and it should be treated as such

The more this crap goes on, the more I don't like Mangini. I already don't like BB for the "jump ship after one day crap" and then the whole Pats bs, but in all honesty, if Mangini was a coach for any other team, Jets fans would be killing him at this point.

The excuse that he wasn't in position to do anything when he was a coach in New England is kind of lame. You either rat somebody out or you don't. He ran away from home and then ratted out the big bad Pats after it seemed he wouldn't get into any trouble cause of it. That's not being a guy doing the right thing, it' s a guy acting like a spoiled brat trying to get back at his 'parents.'

Who knows what the whole second camera in the end zone crap is about, but being that the Ravens already accused Mangini and the Jets of cheating this year and then the whole the NFL and ESPN and Media loves the Pats, I wouldn't put it pass the NFL to fine the Jets, maybe even take one of their picks.

The reality is, they should have just kept their mouths shut. It's one thing to tell somebody to get out of my house with that camera, it's another to go running to the media and NFL.. And that's what the Jets did. You are fooling yourself to think the NFL or the Pats ran to the media with this crap. The Jets made a big public spectacle about it and it really backfired. They are 3-11 at this point and about as big a laughing stock as the Dolphins while the Pats are "evil empire who could go 16-0." Go figure it really looks like the Jets made the wrong decision to go public with the mess. Why make a big deal out of it? Kick them out, tell the NFL and keep it in house. We kill players for going public yet when teams, coaches, and owners do it, we praise them.

I mean considering the NFL burnt the tapes a few days later and the Pats really didn't get fairly punished for cheating, we know the NFL sure didn't want this crap to go public like it did..

I just have a bad feeling that Roger and the NFL are going to come down hard on the Jets just to shut this whole matter up. And then not only do we have a coach who has had a terrible season, but we might have a coach who screwed over the Jets future just because he wanted to get back at his big bad 'father' figure.

We know if Herm did something like this in KC, people would be bashing him all over the board. But since it's Mangini he seems to get pass after pass even though the reality is he looks like a guy who is as hateable as BB is, except not as good a coach at this point.

And why do people hate snitches and rats? It's not because they are doing the right thing, it's usually because the people doing the ratting out are normally people who did the same damn cheating and stealing. A criminal who rats out a criminal isn't exactly something to brag about. And if the Pats were cheating for years, how is Mangini any better at this point than a criminal who rats out other criminals?

The more this crap goes on, the more I don't like Mangini. I already don't like BB for the "jump ship after one day crap" and then the whole Pats bs, but in all honesty, if Mangini was a coach for any other team, Jets fans would be killing him at this point.

The excuse that he wasn't in position to do anything when he was a coach in New England is kind of lame. You either rat somebody out or you don't. He ran away from home and then ratted out the big bad Pats after it seemed he wouldn't get into any trouble cause of it. That's not being a guy doing the right thing, it' s a guy acting like a spoiled brat trying to get back at his 'parents.'

Who knows what the whole second camera in the end zone crap is about, but being that the Ravens already accused Mangini and the Jets of cheating this year and then the whole the NFL and ESPN and Media loves the Pats, I wouldn't put it pass the NFL to fine the Jets, maybe even take one of their picks.

The reality is, they should have just kept their mouths shut. It's one thing to tell somebody to get out of my house with that camera, it's another to go running to the media and NFL.. And that's what the Jets did. You are fooling yourself to think the NFL or the Pats ran to the media with this crap. The Jets made a big public spectacle about it and it really backfired. They are 3-11 at this point, so really, why make a big deal out of it. I mean considering the NFL burnt the tapes a few days later and the Pats really didn't get fairly punished for cheating, we know the NFL sure didn't want this crap to go public like it did..

I just have a bad feeling that Roger and the NFL are going to come down hard on the Jets just to shut this whole matter up. And then not only do we have a coach who has had a terrible season, but we might have a coach who screwed over the Jets future just because he wanted to get back at his big bad 'father' figure.

We know if Herm did something like this in KC, people would be bashing him all over the board. But since it's Mangini he seems to get pass after pass even though the reality is he looks like a guy who is as hateable as BB is, except not as good a coach at this point.

Do you have any idea about this story? I don't even think it's from this season. The Jets haven't played in Foxboro in '07. The NFL isn't even involved. There is no way or reason for them to "come down hard" on the Jets. There isn't even a complaint filed by the Pats. The Pats made them remove a camera. Period. In the Jets case, that douchebag filming signs had his tape confiscated. There is no matter for the NFL to "shut up" it is strictly a matter of the press drumming up some old bull**** story. What the **** was Mangini supposed to do? I guess he should just let that scumbag film his signals because he used to work for Belichick. What does any of this have to do with the Jets future? Mangini may be a problem because he may not be such a great coach, but I don't see what this bull**** has to do with anything besides ESPN trying to drum up some interest for a game predicted to be a rout.

The excuse that he wasn't in position to do anything when he was a coach in New England is kind of lame. You either rat somebody out or you don't.

You are very wrong. If a team like the patriots cheated and a team like the jets actually had balls to actually do soemthing about it I'd be pisssed that the latter was taking the most **** for it.

Come on man, this is the nfl.. and if mangini is a HC of another team and is taking **** imagine if he was just an assistant coach of that team. Plus that would be like selling out your own family, but he's not part of NE anymore.

totally disagree. I think someone with knowledge of cheating should report it, especially if it affects him. Why should Mangini allow the Pats an advantage?

So he should have reported it. But he couldn't while with the Pats, otherwise he'd get fired and who knows if he'd get another job. The only way I would've reported it if I were him was if I had a deal with another team that if I was fired, I had a guarantee from them.

Federal case? Where has Mangini ever made a comment on it? When did the Jets have a camera man on the sideline? Where are the allegations that the Jets tampered with the radio signals? I think that every team tapes the game. That's how they have film to review. They just don't all "review" the other teams signals like the Patriots.

And why did the league destroy the evidence it had gathered on the patriot cheating? did it find far more extensive evidence of cheating than it wanted the public to know about. why destroy that material if not for the embarassment it would bring to the league if discovered. isn't it customary to hold on to evidence in cases like this?

Do you have any idea about this story? I don't even think it's from this season. The Jets haven't played in Foxboro in '07. The NFL isn't even involved. There is no way or reason for them to "come down hard" on the Jets. There isn't even a complaint filed by the Pats. The Pats made them remove a camera. Period. In the Jets case, that douchebag filming signs had his tape confiscated. There is no matter for the NFL to "shut up" it is strictly a matter of the press drumming up some old bull**** story. What the **** was Mangini supposed to do? I guess he should just let that scumbag film his signals because he used to work for Belichick. What does any of this have to do with the Jets future? Mangini may be a problem because he may not be such a great coach, but I don't see what this bull**** has to do with anything besides ESPN trying to drum up some interest for a game predicted to be a rout.

Keep it behind closed doors. You don't have to run to the media and the NFL with "Pats cheated" crap cause in all honesty, the crap backfired. The Jets are looked at as the villians, they suck, who knows if they are building anything good for the future, while the stupid Pats could go 16-0 and be thought of as "Best team Ever."

I'm sorry but just like players should keep their mouth shut sometimes and not go running to the media with stories, that's what the Jets should have done. Rat the Pats out, but do it more quietly.

People who run to the media to blast somebody else usually are people who aren't exactly kosher.

That's what Mangini should have done. He acted like a spoiled brat ratting out his older brother by telling the neighbors, the teachers, other siblings and the parents, but in the end, the older brother still gets the house and praise while little Eric is laughed at and looks like an idiot cause he was a part of the crap the brother got blasted for.

The Jets didn't need to go running to the media and make a big spectacle about it .. And who is to say the NFL doesn't come down hard on the Jets? We don't know the whole story and if the Pats say they didn't grant another camera, the Jets proclaim they did, and Roger, who already seems to be in the pants of the Pats, wants to shut this crap up, well I wouldn't be surprised if the Jets do get fined. And how is that doing anything for the future but making a 3-11 season even worse than it is.

Keep it behind closed doors. You don't have to run to the media and the NFL with "Pats cheated" crap cause in all honesty, the crap backfired. The Jets are looked at as the villians, they suck, who knows if they are building anything good for the future, while the stupid Pats could go 16-0 and be thought of as "Best team Ever."

I'm sorry but just like players should keep their mouth shut sometimes and not go running to the media with stories, that's what the Jets should have done. Rat the Pats out, but do it more quietly.

People who run to the media to blast somebody else usually are people who aren't exactly kosher.

That's what Mangini should have done. He acted like a spoiled brat ratting out his older brother by telling the neighbors, the teachers, other siblings and the parents, but in the end, the older brother still gets the house and praise while little Eric is laughed at and looks like an idiot cause he was a part of the crap the brother got blasted for.

The Jets didn't need to go running to the media and make a big spectacle about it .. And who is to say the NFL doesn't come down hard on the Jets? We don't know the whole story and if the Pats say they didn't grant another camera, the Jets proclaim they did, and Roger, who already seems to be in the pants of the Pats, wants to shut this crap up, well I wouldn't be surprised if the Jets do get fined. And how is that doing anything for the future but making a 3-11 season even worse than it is.

I don't think ive heard mangini talk about it once.

I don't think ive heard mangini talk about it once.

So who told the media then? We know it wasn't the NFL considering they did their best to destroy everything about the incident. And I doubt the Pats would rat themselves out to the media. So somebody on the Jets told the media and then the media ran with it.

That is running to the media. You never have to say anything, but if you give the media the story, it's just as bad as you giving a press conference about it.

The Pats were caught taping us last year. The Jets told them to stop and didnt report it. They come back and do it again to us this yeAR. Belly thought he was invinceable and he paid the piper. Yea, so he'll probably get his licks in tomorrow, but his legacy and those 3 super bowls will forever come into question. Beating us 300-0 tomorrow is not changing that.

So who told the media then? We know it wasn't the NFL considering they did their best to destroy everything about the incident. And I doubt the Pats would rat themselves out to the media. So somebody on the Jets told the media and then the media ran with it.

That is running to the media. You never have to say anything, but if you give the media the story, it's just as bad as you giving a press conference about it.

Where did you get your Jump To Conclusions Mat?

The NFL didn't tell the media because they ending up destroying the evidence?

It's entirely possible that a sideline full of reporters saw a Patriot employee getting escorted off the field did some digging.

The Pats were caught taping us last year. The Jets told them to stop and didnt report it. They come back and do it again to us this yeAR. Belly thought he was invinceable and he paid the piper. Yea, so he'll probably get his licks in tomorrow, but his legacy and those 3 super bowls will forever come into question. Beating us 300-0 tomorrow is not changing that.

If only that were true.

There have been plenty of cheats and killers and whatever else over the years, but it's always forgotten a few years later by the vast majority of people.

Who talks about the whole Derek Jeter didn't hit a HR but got credit for one against the Orioles? That's long forgotten, Yanks won , and nobody cares except for maybe Orioles fans.

Plenty of sports stars cheated over the years, nobody really cares unless his name is Barry Bonds. The "shot heard around the world" is now known as the shot of stolen signals around the world. Nobody cares.

The Black Sox scandal is remembered more than the actual winners of that WS.

The Lakers seemed to have fixed wins over the years, yet besides a few conspiracy buffs, nobody cares.

It's a big story now, but in the end, most people won't care. The Pats won't be thought of as anything more than a 16-0 team or whatever. Barry Bonds and Mark and everybody else will just be thought of as great juiced players during an era when everybody juiced.

I wish there was a thing like karma, but that's not reality. Bad people don't always get punished.

Where did you get your Jump To Conclusions Mat?

The NFL didn't tell the media because they ending up destroying the evidence?

It's entirely possible that a sideline full of reporters saw a Patriot employee getting escorted off the field did some digging.

The NFL doesn't want bad press about cheating. They are a business and for whatever reason, the NFL loves the Pats so no, the NFL didn't run to the press.

And was the kid even on the sideline? An intern could be escorted off a lot less noticeably compared to Tom Brady or BB.

The NFL doesn't want bad press about cheating. They are a business and for whatever reason, the NFL loves the Pats so no, the NFL didn't run to the press.

And was the kid even on the sideline? An intern could be escorted off a lot less noticeably compared to Tom Brady or BB.

Again, you're just jumping to conclusions based on absolutely nothing.

Again, you're just jumping to conclusions based on absolutely nothing.

And what are you doing? I mean we hear the Jets say they were allowed to tape while the Pats said they weren't. Who is telling the truth? We don't know unless you are jumping to conclusions.

And at this point, my assumptions are just as good as yours. Who knows what went down, but at this point, it sure looks like the Jets got the worse of it and not the Pats.

As I said a long time ago, it's like the mafia 'thug' who rats out his former Boss but in the end the former Boss gets fined while the snitch winds up swimming with fishes. If the Jets wind up losing 50+ - 10, how is that any different? The Pats are laughing and the Jets still aren't close to a contender.

And the reality is, does anybody really care that half the cities in the US and half the money wasn't exactly earned legitimately? I'm sure those people are hating life cause others call them "not real." I'd rather the Jets be 12-0 and known as big cheaters than be 3-11 and known as the rat.

I sure never cared that the Yankees were called the "Evil Empire" who spent millions.. They won. End of story.

And what are you doing? I mean we hear the Jets say they were allowed to tape while the Pats said they weren't. Who is telling the truth? We don't know unless you are jumping to conclusions.

And at this point, my assumptions are just as good as yours. Who knows what went down, but at this point, it sure looks like the Jets got the worse of it and not the Pats.

As I said a long time ago, it's like the mafia 'thug' who rats out his former Boss but in the end the former Boss gets fined while the snitch winds up swimming with fishes. If the Jets wind up losing 50+ - 10, how is that any different?

First of all, I didn't make any assumptions. You did. You're posting your opinions as though they are facts. Many people do this. You're not alone.

You're right, we have no idea how it all went down, and to tell you the truth, I don't really care. All I know is the Pats were caught taping the defensive signals sent in by the Jets. How the Jets ended up as the bad guy, I have no idea.

You want to equate this to the Mafia and snitches? People turn 'rat' when they are facing charges and want to reduce those charges. The Jets just wanted a level playing field. That's a bad analogy.

The Jets made a big public spectacle about it and it really backfired. They are 3-11 at this point and about as big a laughing stock as the Dolphins while the Pats are "evil empire who could go 16-0." Go figure it really looks like the Jets made the wrong decision to go public with the mess.

I am confused. So, if the Jets did not go public they would be going 16 - 0 and the Pats would be 3 - 11? Or it would have been OK for the Jets to go public if they did better this year and the Pats not quite as well as they have done?

Archived