Falcons | Team offering vice president position to Parcells

Smizzy

Falcons | Team offering vice president position to Parcells

Tue, 18 Dec 2007 19:47:57 -0800

Chris Mortensen, of ESPN.com, reports the Atlanta Falcons have offered former Dallas Cowboys head coach Bill Parcells the role of vice president of football operations, according to multiple sources. Sources said he is giving the offer serious consideration and could make a decision as early as Wednesday, Dec. 19. Parcells would not be the team's next coach, but he would be authorized to hire the Falcons' next head coach, according to sources.

:character0255:

I think this is bad news for us. Not because I think he'll have any success or stick to the job, but because it'll just be another team running that damn 3-4. More competition for a limited number of players. A big part of the advantage of the 3-4 is that 2 gap d-linemen and big LBs are easier to find and/or less expensive because less teams are using them.

I think this is bad news for us. Not because I think he'll have any success or stick to the job, but because it'll just be another team running that damn 3-4. More competition for a limited number of players. A big part of the advantage of the 3-4 is that 2 gap d-linemen and big LBs are easier to find and/or less expensive because less teams are using them.

No necessarily Dom. I'd like to think that Parcells will let the HC dictate what D the HC wants to run . Then again we ARE talking about Parcells here. ;)

Parcells is on the verge of accepting this and its nothing but bad news for the Jets. I was hoping there was some truth to the rumors that they could bring Parcells back to do exactly what Atlanta is about to hire him to do.

Mike Singletary (whom Arthur Blank wanted last year to begin with, over Petrino), Russ Grimm and Maurice Carthon will be getting calls soon if Parcells is hired. Those guys, IMO, would be the top candidates for the job.

Report says Parcells 'probably' joining Falcons

Associated Press,

ATLANTA (AP) - Bill Parcells could become the Atlanta Falcons' vice president of football operations, a role that would put him in charge of finding the team's next coach.

Parcells is considering an offer to join the team's front office, a person familiar with the negotiations said on condition of anonymity because talks were ongoing.

The New York Daily News reported Wednesday that Parcells is on the verge of accepting the job, with only a few minor details to be worked out. In a story on its Web site, the paper said a deal could be completed later in the day with Falcons owner Arthur Blank.

"I think I probably will do it," Parcells said. "The job description is to be the football operations overseer. We still have a little work to do, but I don't think it's anything major. I don't expect any real deal-breaker. I don't think there will be any major hangups."

Parcells said he would not be the Falcons' head coach. He told the newspaper he would plan to hire a general manager and then work with that person to hire a new coach to replace Bobby Petrino, who quit last week 13 games into his first season to coach at Arkansas.

Rich McKay, the team's president and general manager since December 2003, did not immediately return a phone message on Tuesday night. Blank declined comment when asked about Parcells late Tuesday night.

Parcells' agent, Jimmy Sexton, did not immediately return an e-mail seeking comment.

Emmitt Thomas is 0-1 as Atlanta's interim head coach, a job he inherited when Bobby Petrino resigned suddenly a week ago. Petrino went 3-10 with the Falcons before taking the Arkansas job.

Parcells resigned in January after four years as the Dallas coach. During a 19-year career that also included coaching the New York Giants, New England Patriots and New York Jets, Parcells made it to three Super Bowls, winning twice with the Giants.

Known best for a gruff demeanor and colorful quotes, Parcells left coaching with the ninth-most wins in NFL history and a career record of 183-138-1. He was 34-32 in Dallas, including 0-2 in the postseason.

McKay's future with the Falcons is uncertain. He came to Atlanta with impressive credentials, mentioned as a potential candidate to replace former NFL commissioner Paul Tagliabue and considered a successful GM who helped the Tampa Bay Buccaneers win their only Super Bowl in 2003.

Report says Parcells 'probably' joining Falcons

Associated Press,

ATLANTA (AP) - Bill Parcells could become the Atlanta Falcons' vice president of football operations, a role that would put him in charge of finding the team's next coach.

Parcells is considering an offer to join the team's front office, a person familiar with the negotiations said on condition of anonymity because talks were ongoing.

The New York Daily News reported Wednesday that Parcells is on the verge of accepting the job, with only a few minor details to be worked out. In a story on its Web site, the paper said a deal could be completed later in the day with Falcons owner Arthur Blank.

"I think I probably will do it," Parcells said. "The job description is to be the football operations overseer. We still have a little work to do, but I don't think it's anything major. I don't expect any real deal-breaker. I don't think there will be any major hangups."

Parcells said he would not be the Falcons' head coach. He told the newspaper he would plan to hire a general manager and then work with that person to hire a new coach to replace Bobby Petrino, who quit last week 13 games into his first season to coach at Arkansas.

Rich McKay, the team's president and general manager since December 2003, did not immediately return a phone message on Tuesday night. Blank declined comment when asked about Parcells late Tuesday night.

Parcells' agent, Jimmy Sexton, did not immediately return an e-mail seeking comment.

Emmitt Thomas is 0-1 as Atlanta's interim head coach, a job he inherited when Bobby Petrino resigned suddenly a week ago. Petrino went 3-10 with the Falcons before taking the Arkansas job.

Parcells resigned in January after four years as the Dallas coach. During a 19-year career that also included coaching the New York Giants, New England Patriots and New York Jets, Parcells made it to three Super Bowls, winning twice with the Giants.

Known best for a gruff demeanor and colorful quotes, Parcells left coaching with the ninth-most wins in NFL history and a career record of 183-138-1. He was 34-32 in Dallas, including 0-2 in the postseason.

McKay's future with the Falcons is uncertain. He came to Atlanta with impressive credentials, mentioned as a potential candidate to replace former NFL commissioner Paul Tagliabue and considered a successful GM who helped the Tampa Bay Buccaneers win their only Super Bowl in 2003.

Smizzy beat you to it.

Smizzy beat you to it.

I looked all down page one and didn't see anything NS...oh well so much for THAT plan of maybe having him return to the Jets in some talent evaluating role-I hoped he'd do it....one good thing though is Parcells has always shown a willingnesds to help the Jets out in deals-especially on draft day

Same Ol' Jets. Letting the Big Fish slip away.

yea Mickey-so starts the long line of guys who we will be talking to over the next 9 months who we'll talk to and never sign-players and executives-while our competitors WILL bring them in AND sign them-SOS is right

Regarding the position of General Manager, the most intriguing possibility is Patriots' vice president of player personnel Scott Pioli, who also happens to be Parcells' son-in-law. Under

league rules, however, Pioli most likely would not be able to exit his current contract with the Patriots unless he were in possession of final say over the composition of the roster and/or the coaching staff.

Another interesting possibility would be Jets General Manager Mike Tannenbaum. In 2002, when Parcells was poised to become the coach of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Tannenbaum arrived in Tampa to begin working as the Tuna's G.M. Although the Falcons would not be able to acquire Tannenbaum without the Jets being willing to let him walk, possible evidence of growing friction between Tannenbaum and coach Eric Mangini could make the Jets more inclined to let him go.

The other question relates to the identity of the next Falcons coach. There already has been considerable discussion regarding "Parcells guys" who might be available and/or interested in taking over the Falcons. Several of them, such as Sean Payton, Charlie Weis, and Bill Belichick, already have big-time jobs. Former Parcells assistants in Dallas who currently are not employed as head coaches include Cowboys assistant head coach/offensive line coach Tony Sparano, Cardinals offensive coordinator Todd Haley, and current Falcons defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer.

As Chris Mortensen pointed out on ESPN's first take on Wednesday, the identity of the head coach will be largely influenced by the person whom Parcells hires to be the next G.M. If it were Pioli, for example, any of the various current New England assistant coaches would instantly be in play, such as offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels. Likewise, those lingering rumors of Iowa's Kirk Ferentz waiting for Pioli to depart the Pats would likely be dusted off. (Given, however, the Falcons' most recent experiences with a college coach, it's highly unlikely that anyone from that level would be considered for the Falcons' job, even if by some Festivus miracle Knute Rockne pulled a Lazarus.)

Regarding the position of General Manager, the most intriguing possibility is Patriots' vice president of player personnel Scott Pioli, who also happens to be Parcells' son-in-law. Under

league rules, however, Pioli most likely would not be able to exit his current contract with the Patriots unless he were in possession of final say over the composition of the roster and/or the coaching staff.

I don't see how this would be anymore of an issue than it was when Parcell coached Dallas.

I can see why Mike Tannenbaum might want to bolt the Jets for an opportunity to be part of a Parcell rebuilding project, but Pioli has had a relatively successful experience with his current franchise.

if that ever DID happened I don't think there'd be a lot of tears shed from Jets fans' eyes after this year's debacle

You are right. Woody will just go hire another media friendly coach and spend bare minimum on him and the pro personel department.

Edit: and everything else.

You are right. Woody will just go hire another media friendly coach and spend bare minimum on him and the pro personel department.

Edit: and everything else.

yea but according to Tannenbaum on that SNY show a few weeks ago Woody HAS been spending money-on a new training facility and the new stadium-unfortunately for Jets FANS NOT on say bringing in players who might help us actually win some football games-he'll spend $$$ on the Bryan Thomas' and Anthony Clements of the football world but not on guys like Adalius Thomas-wrong Thomas

yea but according to Tannenbaum on that SNY show a few weeks ago Woody HAS been spending money-on a new training facility and the new stadium-unfortunately for Jets FANS NOT on say bringing in players who might help us actually win some football games-he'll spend $$$ on the Bryan Thomas' and Anthony Clements of the football world but not on guys like Adalius Thomas-wrong Thomas

To say he is spending money on a new stadium that he is SPLITTING with the Giants, yet getting the same attendance as the Pats AND charging large PSL's for, is a joke. Spend some money on the team Woody.

To say he is spending money on a new stadium that he is SPLITTING with the Giants, yet getting the same attendance as the Pats AND charging large PSL's for, is a joke. Spend some money on the team Woody.

I can understand how you guys that go to the games would be pissed about the PSL's, parking, etc., but it's not fair to say he doesn't spend on the team. Based upon all the current information he did spend the cap for the season. All the money that could be moved to this year was, next year there will be the ability to spend it. He spent as much money as he could. Now as for picking the right players to spend it on....

Archived