Coles Might Want Out...

SoFlaJets

I just heard an interview with him in the LR-I think he was sort of saying if Chad goes then he wants out too-perhaps giving some credence to the KC-deal. Schein also mentioned that Jacksonville is hot for him and with him having that home there...

I figured this a long time ago. He's not that enthralled with Mangini or the coaching staff and I'm sure he isn't that sold on being a Jet considering they already let him go once.

And if he's buds with Chad, why would he want to stay? The team will either be 3-13 or 4-12 and if they don't bring in any FA OL on top of the way KC has played so far, what WR would want to play on this team?

Coles would be perfect for Jacksonville. They would be scary good if they added a receiver of his caliber.

Jacksonville have decent enough WR's. They just don't get used too often. They have a nice mix of size and speed and together they make a pretty strong core. I doubt that's a position they will look to address.

he made it sound like he wants to still play with Chad Pennington out of loyalty-like it's some package deal. If the Jets don't want Chad then I don't want the Jets. It was as I said a locker room interview and there were beat writers asking him the questions so it'll definitely be in the papers tomorrow-look for KJ's news thread

Saw it on Post Game live. He very clearly, in my view, attached his star to CHad. If CHad is gone he wants to be too. WIth his injury record and especially concussions I think it is time to say goodbye to both.

The Jets are trying to make that happen.

The Jets are trying to make that happen.

and to hear Chad's comments too...I think they all know something's up Max-I can see this maybe happening-we'll get a better sense after next weeks game in the post game comments-both interviews were very revealing in subtle way-if you read between the words

Dump this motha fu*ka!!!

The problem with this team is if they don't replace him. I hope they don't wind up with a bunch of late first day or second day draft picks and once again pick a few project players. And that's after taking Jake Long.

Yeah Jake Long might improve the Line, but TJ still ain't going to score that many TD's and who will KC or whoever throw to? Cotchery, Justin Mac and Smith? That would put fear into the opposition. The problem with this team isn't just the OL, it's the fact that the WR's never get open and dumping Coles and not replacing him would just make the WR this team has even worse. We see it already when Coles doesn't play. They don't score.

pjam76.

If the Jets select Long, they will still have Coles and Cotchery in which to throw too. Also, they will have another six selections in which to take receiver or they could go the free agent route and sign Bernard Berrian, D.J. Hackett or Bryant Johnson. The Long selection would be a solid move, helping build the line, and the line is just as important as the Quarterback in terms of the offense succeeding.

Also, Jones will be just fine if he has a line that could run block. This line is probably the worst run blocking Jets line I've ever seen. It would also help if they gave the ball to Washington more than 1-5 carries a game.

pjam76.

If the Jets select Long, they will still have Coles and Cotchery in which to throw too. Also, they will have another six selections in which to take receiver or they could go the free agent route and sign Bernard Berrian, D.J. Hackett or Bryant Johnson. The Long selection would be a solid move, helping build the line, and the line is just as important as the Quarterback in terms of the offense succeeding.

Also, Jones will be just fine if he has a line that could run block. This line is probably the worst run blocking Jets line I've ever seen. It would also help if they gave the ball to Washington more than 1-5 carries a game.

I'm sick and tired of that, we need a ****ing playmaker. Who can that be ? Darren McFadden.

DRAFT DARREN MCFADDEN!!!

I just heard an interview with him in the LR-I think he was sort of saying if Chad goes then he wants out too-perhaps giving some credence to the KC-deal. Schein also mentioned that Jacksonville is hot for him and with him having that home there...

as much as i like coles, if he wants a ticket out of town i say good riddance. this defense is a player or 2 (suggs?) away from being a top 10 defense. the offense is pathetic with or w/o coles. if the jets can get anything in return for vilma, coles, and chadwick then they can hopefully rebuild the offense in 1 year.

as much as i like coles, if he wants a ticket out of town i say good riddance. this defense is a player or 2 (suggs?) away from being a top 10 defense. the offense is pathetic with or w/o coles. if the jets can get anything in return for vilma, coles, and chadwick then they can hopefully rebuild the offense in 1 year.

Great post!

I agree 100%

pjam76.

Huh? This thread is about Coles wanting to leave.. So if Coles does demand a trade or is released, how does a guy like Berrian improve this team?

Jake Long is another DBrick in the waiting in my opinion. I could be wrong, but I watch Michigan, I root for Michigan, I donate to Michigan, I like it when the Jets sign or draft Michigan players, but I don't get what people see in Jake Long. He is not a top 10 draft pick in my opinion.

As far as an OL, yeah I guess the Vikings really don't need a QB considering they have a decent defense, and a killer running game and great OL. Yet there QB sucks. No teams don't really need a QB to win. At this point we have to hope KC is good, but how do you help KC improve if next season the starting WR's are Cotchery, Smith, and Justin Mac?

And the players you mentioned are ok, but once again, when have the Jets really ever had a real playmaker on offense or defense? How many super bowls have they been to?

The defense needs a strong, fat NT, two other defensive linemen, a pass-rusher, another ILB, and another corner opposite Revis before it can truly be considered great. There are a LOT of needs on defense.

The defense needs a strong, fat NT, two other defensive linemen, a pass-rusher, another ILB, and another corner opposite Revis before it can truly be considered great. There are a LOT of needs on defense.

There are a lot of needs on this team, but the problem is, you never have a great everything. Great teams find ways to surround their great players with good enough talent. The Pats and Colts haven't had 22 pro bowl players every year. ANd they sure haven't had the same starting players year in and year out.

Great teams find ways to revamp and replenish year in and year out. Bad teams find ways to make excuses why they finish 3-13 or 4-12. I got tired of the Herm excuses and I'm starting to become tired of the Mangini crap. There is no reason this team should be 3-13. It would be disappointing if they finished 6-10, but it would be more reasonable Finishing 3-13 just means your GM sucked and your coaching staff sucked. I'm disappointed that going into 2008 they are worse than when they went into 2006.

i honestly don't know what team you have been watching the past few weeks. other than the short week against the cowboys this defense has been very good and played well enough to win each of the past 4 games. that is you can ask for with a defense - 6 points to the pats? that is one of the most prolific offenses in nfl history and the jets gave up 6 points on d. 10 to the titans and some of that is on chadwick. yes, they could improve at ng and are in dire need of a true pass rusher but this defense is playing better than a few defenses that are going to the playoffs.

i honestly don't know what team you have been watching the past few weeks. other than the short week against the cowboys this defense has been very good and played well enough to win each of the past 4 games. that is you can ask for with a defense - 6 points to the pats? that is one of the most prolific offenses in nfl history and the jets gave up 6 points on d. 10 to the titans and some of that is on chadwick. yes, they could improve at ng and are in dire need of a true pass rusher but this defense is playing better than a few defenses that are going to the playoffs.

The problem is we don't know. Is it because teams have started taking the Jets lightly or is it because of colder weather or is it because of the team playing better? It's probably a combination of both, but if they start out slow again next year, it suddenly becomes an issue where you just can't overcome that. Some teams have the talent and playmakers to overcome slow starts, but most teams can't do that.

The Jets defense needs another CB, a NT, and a DE and maybe another S and they could be well improved.

As far as the offense, where do we even start. We're all hoping KC is the answer, but what happens if he's not? Suddenly we're looking at a rebuilding project into 2011. And you sure don't help a young kid if you dump your best WR and don't bring in anybody else that can replace him. Do we really expect KC to become good with WR's Cotchery, Justin and Smith?

Talk about a kid who would want to quit.

Like it or not, they also had the conditions helping them out in New England. Yes, it goes both ways, and maybe the Jets would have scored more points too, but the defense was helped a lot by the conditions last week. David Barrett/Andre Dyson don't cut it as second corners, and this team is in dire need of a NT and a pass-rushing OLB, along with another corner, at the very least.

Todays NYPOST begs to differ.

Yesterday, Coles watched his teammates lose for the 12th time in 15 games and afterward he revealed that he already has had some conversations with the Jets about renegotiating his contract into a long-term deal that'll keep him a Jet for the rest of his career.

"It's in the preliminary (stage)," Coles said. "I sat down and talked to coach (Eric Mangini) the other day and he expressed to me that I was very important to this team, that he was happy that I'm here and that he wanted me to be there with him.

"That was something that meant a lot to me as a player, because coach don't really step out of his circle too much to let you know that he's in your corner. That meant a lot to me."

Coles is signed through 2009 to a deal that is scheduled to pay him $5 million per year. According to someone close to him, he approached the Jets before this season with hopes of renegotiating, but was rebuffed.

That stance by the team has changed.

"I'm sure that everything (Mangini) can do within his power to make things happen and work for me to finish my career here he will, but there is a business side to it," Coles said. "Hopefully we can just reach something."

I think we should stop with all the Eric has lost the vets stuff.

I Tivo-ed Jets Extra Point last night and I'm watching it now. Ray Lucas is saying again that the Jaguars WANT Laveraneus Coles badly-they have him high on their list. It makes sense, Coles has that mansion he built up there. The question is this; what would they have to give us to get him? Any ideas?

I Tivo-ed Jets Extra Point last night and I'm watching it now. Ray Lucas is saying again that the Jaguars WANT Laveraneus Coles badly-they have him high on their list. It makes sense, Coles has that mansion he built up there. The question is this; what would they have to give us to get him? Any ideas?

David Garrard and Rashean Mathis.

;)

You would hope for, at least, a 2nd round selection in April's draft.

Todays NYPOST begs to differ.

Yesterday, Coles watched his teammates lose for the 12th time in 15 games and afterward he revealed that he already has had some conversations with the Jets about renegotiating his contract into a long-term deal that'll keep him a Jet for the rest of his career.

"It's in the preliminary (stage)," Coles said. "I sat down and talked to coach (Eric Mangini) the other day and he expressed to me that I was very important to this team, that he was happy that I'm here and that he wanted me to be there with him.

"That was something that meant a lot to me as a player, because coach don't really step out of his circle too much to let you know that he's in your corner. That meant a lot to me."

Coles is signed through 2009 to a deal that is scheduled to pay him $5 million per year. According to someone close to him, he approached the Jets before this season with hopes of renegotiating, but was rebuffed.

That stance by the team has changed.

"I'm sure that everything (Mangini) can do within his power to make things happen and work for me to finish my career here he will, but there is a business side to it," Coles said. "Hopefully we can just reach something."

I think we should stop with all the Eric has lost the vets stuff.

Good post. He clearly hasn't lost the vets. This team is playing hard. I think he handled the Chad thing in a way that will make sure Eric has the respect of this team long after Chad is gone.

If they bring Coles back next year, they should extend him. You do not want a situation that has you coming off a 3 or 4 win season, heading into another hard camp with Coles being vocal and unhappy on your hands.

Archived