Patriots vs. Giants to be shown on NBC and CBS along with NFL Network merged X2

Gainzo

Giants-Pats available nationwide

NEW YORK (AP) -- The New England Patriots' shot at history Saturday night will be available for every household in the country with a television after months of wrangling.

The game against the New York Giants, in which the Patriots could become the first NFL team to go 16-0 in the regular season, was originally scheduled to be shown only on the NFL Network, which is available in fewer than 40 percent of the nation's homes with TVs.

But the league announced Wednesday that the NFL Network feed will be simulcast on NBC and CBS. It's a major concession by league officials, who repeatedly said they would not show the game anywhere but the NFL Network. The NFL had faced mounting pressure from politicians in recent weeks to make the game available to more viewers.

This will be the first three-network simulcast in NFL history and the first simulcast of any kind of an NFL game since the first Super Bowl in 1967, when CBS and NBC both televised the first meeting of the champions of the newly merged National Football League and American Football League.

Are you going to watch the game on Channel 4, 5, 7 or the NFL Network?

This game is going to be on 4 stations up here! Thats crazy. WCVB must be pissed.

That's a bit silly. Every major station will air the game....it's like a presidential state of union address. As much as I love my Pats - this is just ridiculous.

That's a bit silly. Every major station will air the game....it's like a presidential state of union address. As much as I love my Pats - this is just ridiculous.

alot of people want to see them lose

maybe Strahan will do a LT-Joe Theismann move to Brady

I had the same exact thought. But it's good for fans outside of the NY/NJ & Boston tv markets.

alot of people want to see them lose

maybe Strahan will do a LT-Joe Theismann move to Brady

I think a lot of people want to see "history." But really now - it's football. Sports history....so very cool....but it's not like the Berlin Wall falling, or 9/11, or whatever. This is a little over the top, I say. Plus, not for nothing, but say the Patriots pull out a victory this Saturday nite and lose in the playoff's. It means nothing then.

Speaking of which, did anyone catch the NFL Newtork commercial this w/e? the sound of a radio annoucer saying "so, with the win over Miami, the Patriots go for perfection against the Giants..." (paraphrasing here). They aired this during the one o'clock games. Hello???

Speaking of which, did anyone catch the NFL Newtork commercial this w/e? the sound of a radio annoucer saying "so, with the win over Miami, the Patriots go for perfection against the Giants..." (paraphrasing here). They aired this during the one o'clock games. Hello???

I hear ya garb. They were going out on a very thin limb assuming that the Patriots would handle the Dolphins. :lol:

This is crazy, could they suck the Pats D**K any harder? Can the nfl be any bigger of a whore? It makes me sick, I hope the Giants kick the living sh*t out of them, I really do.:pooh::pooh: :pooh::pooh: :pooh::pooh: :pooh::pooh: :pooh::pooh:

Semper fi

Please, it would be no different if it were any of the other 31 teams. If it were the Jets you would be soaking it up with a slice of bread.

Please, it would be no different if it were any of the other 31 teams. If it were the Jets you would be soaking it up with a slice of bread.

i dont know

if the arizona cardinals were 15-0 i think we'd be spending our saturday night grilling the pigs that fly around the sky.

No If it was the Jets it would not change my feelings about the Pats er I mean the NFL whore stuff. There is no reason for a regular season game to have this much hype even if they may break records. On the espn poll over half of the country is rooting against the Pats. Isnt there a limit in prime time games a team can have? I am pretty sure the Pats are at that limit, but the nfl will air it on every channel just to get the same effect - Whores-.

Semper fi

Hopefully this is going to be a good game to watch and not a bs blowout. I think I'm rooting for a tie.

btw, I plan on tuning into channel 9 to keep it old school.;)

3 choices to watch the game now- 2, 4 and 9. I wonder who is doing the game for these channels. That will decide which one I watch.

3 choices to watch the game now- 2, 4 and 9. I wonder who is doing the game for these channels. That will decide which one I watch.

The way I understood it it will be a simulcast where you see the exact same thing on all channels. So no matter where you turn you'll get to hear the soothing voice of Gumbel. :cussing:

The way I understood it it will be a simulcast where you see the exact same thing on all channels. So no matter where you turn you'll get to hear the soothing voice of Gumbel. :cussing:

I think this is correct, unfortunately.

Still, something about watching prime time football on channel 9 just seems right.

Of course it is a simulcast. You are not going to have 3 different production crews produce the game.

Since this was an NFL contracted game, you could not have the NFL Network show prefernce to either of its primary broadcast partners (although this would have been a normal CBS game broadcast).

The Super Bowl used to be simulcast over both networks in its infancy.

In stare-down with Big Cable over Pats-Giants, the NFL blinked

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By John Helyar

ESPN.com

Faster than a Tom Brady-to-Randy Moss slant, Saturday night's Patriots-Giants game has gone from widely unavailable on TV to practically inescapable.

Until Wednesday, it looked as if the Patriots' quest for regular-season perfection would be televised on only the NFL Network (43 million homes) and in the two teams' local markets (10 million homes).

Then NFL commissioner Roger Goodell stepped in. Upon further review, he declared, the game would also be carried on both CBS and NBC, saying the action is "in the best interest of our fans." And he certainly redefined the 2007 holiday season.

The fifth day of Christmas, on Saturday, usually brings the same old five golden rings. This year, it brings a multiplex of Patriots games.

But it's less a gift from the NFL than a punt. As they've tried to make the NFL Network into a TV superpower, league officials have repeatedly miscalculated and faltered. As a result, they've been unable to budge the major cable operators off their position: that the NFL doesn't belong on basic cable systems. The cable companies have either marginalized the NFL Network on a premium sports tier (as Comcast has done), or refused to carry it at all (as Time Warner has done).

Roger Goodell and Jerry Jones made their case for the NFL Network in the Texas statehouse earlier this month, but it hasn't helped.

If the league was ever to enjoy any negotiating leverage in this standoff, it was seemingly with the much-anticipated Pats-Giants game. The thinking was that Big Cable would take heat from fans eager to see whether New England could complete a perfect 16-0 regular season, and perhaps have to come off its long-held position that too few of its customers give a hoot about the NFL Network to give in to the NFL's demands: a place on their systems' "extended basic" plans and a hefty fee of 70 cents per subscriber.

Turns out it was the NFL owners, not the cable guys, who wound up taking most of the heat for the game's limited TV availability. With the pocket caving in around him, Goodell was reduced to trotting out a goodwill public relations gimmick. He ordered up the first three-network simulcast in league history and the first simulcast of any game since Super Bowl I in 1967.

The Comcasts and Time Warners of the cable world are laughing up their sleeves. They still haven't budged off their positions, and it looks as if they might never have to. Meanwhile, the John Kerrys and Patrick Leahys of the Washington world are congratulating themselves. Those two senators, along with other Capitol Hill pols, exerted political muscle on the league until Roger Goodell said "uncle."

The NFL Network remains mired in as frustrating a run as the Miami Dolphins (the 2007 -- not the 1972 -- version). You might call this the business equivalent of "three-and-out": a series of no-gainers that led to this week's punt.

Let's grab the Telestrator and break down the broken plays:

1. The NFL overvalued its product and its leverage. The four-year-old network's problems started in 2006, when it launched a package of eight Thursday and Saturday night games. The NFL hiked the network's asking price from 20 cents to 70 cents a subscriber, and the battle was joined.

"The NFL has a great belief about its importance in the world of sports," says one veteran broadcast executive. "It was overreaching on price and underestimating its opponents. The big cable companies decided this was where they were going to pitch their tents and fight the rise of sports programming costs."

The league hurt its cause by putting no "must see" game on the NFL Network's 2006 schedule. Compared to the Packers-Cowboys game on Nov. 29 this year, and the Patriots-Giants game this coming Saturday, there were no matchups to stir a public outcry. The network's Web site had an "I want my NFL Network" page, telling fans how to pressure their cable systems to carry the channel. But there wasn't enough of a fan uprising to make the cable operators cave.

2. The NFL, which is accustomed to being in the driver's seat on TV matters, mistakenly believed it could control this one, too. It commands top dollar for its prize content -- a 53 percent rise in the latest round of broadcast deals -- which delivers $3.7 billion a year to the league.

But in the case of the NFL Network, it has only eight games a year to sell. The vast majority of the network's hours are filled with league news, game highlights and analyst chatter. The big cable operators weren't buying the value of that, but some serious horse-swapping might have brought them around.

Consider the situation last spring with Major League Baseball. It, too, was at swords' points with the major cable operators after MLB sold exclusive rights to its "Extra Innings" package of out-of-market games to DirecTV, a satellite-only service that left cable subscribers out of the picture. But MLB made peace -- and got itself broad cable carriage -- by selling a piece of its forthcoming MLB Network to Comcast, Time Warner and Cox.

The NFL refused to give the cable operators a stake in the NFL Network. Nor has it been willing to cut the cable guys in on the Sunday Ticket package, now exclusively seen on DirecTV.

League officials maintain the other side is the intransigent one. In the simulcast announcement, NFL Network CEO Steve Bornstein said, "A few of the biggest cable operators have refused to negotiate." Alex Dudley, a Time Warner Cable spokesman, rejected that as "fairly absurd. We've offered the NFL several different options, none of which they found appealing."

3. The NFL incorrectly counted on the government to aid its cause. Starting last month, league officials, owners and lobbyists have been working the case on multiple fronts. The league has backed a proposal by FCC chairman Kevin Martin that would give independent programmers such as the NFL Network a better shot at cracking the major cable TV systems.

The Dallas Cowboys' Jerry Jones, who heads the owners' NFL Network Committee, has been flitting around to various state legislatures, urging them to help the NFL Network's cause by rewriting cable TV regulations. Goodell even appeared with Jones at a hearing on the subject conducted by Texas legislators.

Given its strategy of government intervention, the NFL at first seemed to embrace Sen. Kerry's proposal, in a Dec. 6 letter, urging the league and the major cable operators to negotiate. Otherwise, Kerry wrote, millions of fans would be unable to watch the potentially momentous Dec. 29 game featuring his home state Patriots.

Responded NFL spokesman Greg Aiello: "Commissioner Goodell welcomes the senator's comments because we, too, want broad distribution for NFL Network."

But Kerry's letter failed to jump-start negotiations. Comcast maintained it is in the middle of a multiyear contract to carry the NFL Network on its sports tier. There was nothing to negotiate. Time Warner rejected Goodell's offer of "baseball style" arbitration: letting a neutral party decide what the cable giant should pay for the NFL Network.

As the date of the Patriots-Giants game approached, more of Washington's political heat was being directed at the NFL. Senate Judiciary Committee members Leahy, D-Vt., and Arlen Specter, R-Pa., threatened hearings on the antitrust exemption that the NFL enjoys for broadcast purposes. On Monday, Kerry wrote Goodell a letter strongly suggesting that the game be put on NBC. Otherwise, he said he'd seek Senate hearings on "how the emergence of premium sports channels are impacting the consumer."

Two days later, Goodell put the game on two broadcast networks. All of which still leaves the NFL at fourth-and-longer-than-ever. The commissioner maintained, in his announcement, that "our commitment to the NFL Network is stronger than ever." Spokesman Aiello believes Saturday's simulcast will boost the network by exposing millions more fans to "the quality of the production."

But, to lapse into coachspeak, the network's game plan seems desperately in need of adjustments. Would Bill Belichick ever stand for "3 yards and a cloud of futility"? How much longer will NFL owners?

John Helyar is a senior writer for ESPN.com and ESPN The Magazine. He is the author of "Lords of the Realm: The Real History of Baseball."

Archived