Steelers undecided about OG Faneca

faba

By Mike Prisuta

TRIBUNE-REVIEW

Monday, January 7, 2008

Steelers director of football operations Kevin Colbert said no decision has been made regarding what to do about guard Alan Faneca's status as an unrestricted free agent.

"No, nothing," Colbert said after the Jacksonville Jaguars eliminated the Steelers, 31-29, on Saturday night at Heinz Field.

"We've just been working on the draft; none of that other stuff." Colbert also said it was too early to assess the state of the Steelers heading into the offseason.

story

By Mike Prisuta

TRIBUNE-REVIEW

Monday, January 7, 2008

Steelers director of football operations Kevin Colbert said no decision has been made regarding what to do about guard Alan Faneca's status as an unrestricted free agent.

"No, nothing," Colbert said after the Jacksonville Jaguars eliminated the Steelers, 31-29, on Saturday night at Heinz Field.

"We've just been working on the draft; none of that other stuff." Colbert also said it was too early to assess the state of the Steelers heading into the offseason.

story

the one thing that we do know, is that he isn't coming to the Jets.

boozer...have ya seen our LG? I don't care how bad he played, he is worlds better than the slime we have going through that spot.

No argument there at all, I'm just saying we could probably do better at a cheaper price in FA. Does anyone hav e the list of FA guards this year?

No argument there at all, I'm just saying we could probably do better at a cheaper price in FA. Does anyone hav e the list of FA guards this year?

someone posted a list of guards before, there is a pretty good player on the 49ers, and both guards on the Colts.

Personally, i'd take any Olinemen from the colts, they generally have a very nice unit, even after losing Glenn. The staple of their line is their center, much like ours, so it might be a smooth transition.

Those are the only ones i'm aware of. Of course, there is always the "Tangini Bargain Bin Days of Summer" store, so ya never know.

someone posted a list of guards before, there is a pretty good player on the 49ers, and both guards on the Colts.

Personally, i'd take any Olinemen from the colts, they generally have a very nice unit, even after losing Glenn. The staple of their line is their center, much like ours, so it might be a smooth transition.

Those are the only ones i'm aware of. Of course, there is always the "Tangini Bargain Bin Days of Summer" store, so ya never know.

I agree, that's a big no no. I want a quality guard, I just wouldn't call what I've seen of Faneca "quality" this season. He's also pretty small as well.

I dunno what happened to Faneca, he's been so good the past few years but he has been atrocious all year. His asking price is probably way too high for the risk he is right now. Faneca has got to be the only player I know that regresses in his contract year.

I dunno what happened to Faneca, he's been so good the past few years but he has been atrocious all year. His asking price is probably way too high for the risk he is right now. Faneca has got to be the only player I know that regresses in his contract year.

I would say Victor Hobson,but that would imply he had something to regress from

By Mike Prisuta

TRIBUNE-REVIEW

Monday, January 7, 2008

story

I do NOT want Faneca at all. He made the pro bowl on reputation this year, but his play has really tailed off and he was one of the reasons the Pitt line was bad this year. Hopefully we do not make any attempt to sign him.

Faneca didnt play his best games against the Jags, but hes still one of the best OG in the NFL. Last time I checked Parker was at or near the in rushing yards before he got hurt, and Rothlisberger stayed pretty clean throughout the season. A big part of the reason for that is Faneca. LG is a glaring weakness for us. My opinion is that he would be worth the money.

Faneca didnt play his best games against the Jags, but hes still one of the best OG in the NFL. Last time I checked Parker was at or near the in rushing yards before he got hurt, and Rothlisberger stayed pretty clean throughout the season. A big part of the reason for that is Faneca. LG is a glaring weakness for us. My opinion is that he would be worth the money.

Faneca or a guy who's 5 years younger, keeps the most prolific passer in the league upright, and opens holes for a top 5 RB? Ryan Lilja is the man to pursue and overpay if necessary, not Faneca.

Faneca or a guy who's 5 years younger, keeps the most prolific passer in the league upright, and opens holes for a top 5 RB? Ryan Lilja is the man to pursue and overpay if necessary, not Faneca.

Id be more than happy with Lilja too, but the Colts will have around 20 mil in cap money by the end of the playing season. Their other guard, Scott is also a FA and might be the one they let walk

I too do not want to overpay for faneca, but i think the point is moot because i'll bet good money he ends up in arizona. I do like lilja, but would rather have his partner on the oline in jake scott. I think the guy to really pursue would be stacy andrews; 6'7 342 lbs, extremely athletic and still learning the position, not to mention that he can play both the LG and RT position. THis allows us flexibility in the draft, where we coudl grab the best RT or LG depending on the value of the position we're picking at.

I too do not want to overpay for faneca, but i think the point is moot because i'll bet good money he ends up in arizona. I do like lilja, but would rather have his partner on the oline in jake scott. I think the guy to really pursue would be stacy andrews; 6'7 342 lbs, extremely athletic and still learning the position, not to mention that he can play both the LG and RT position. THis allows us flexibility in the draft, where we coudl grab the best RT or LG depending on the value of the position we're picking at.

I wrote a post awhiles back listing Gs I liked, and I actually had Andrews at the top of the list. I consider him the best Guard in the NFL right now actually. The thing about Guards is that most of the really good ones are really young and are drafted and do well immediately, so it is rare that they ever hit the market. I do not think we can get Andrews. I'll see if I can find my post if you are interested at all, since I get the feeling you are pretty big on O-line play, so it'd be interesting to see if you agree with the guys I mentioned or not.

EDIT- Here it is:

http://www.jetnation.com/forums/showpost.php?p=711758&postcount=12

Haha I actually listed Faneca as proven and good in that post, but obviously I clearly don't think so now. It's more a list of guys I've had my eyes on I guess than an actual ranking though I guess, but still, I think those guys I list are pretty much the top half of the crop or so.

Archived