At what point do you stop going to the Giant Stadium?

drago

As a few of you know, I have never been to a Jets' home game. It seems apparant to me that a lot of you go to either every game, every home game, or to about half of the games in general.

With the Jets not putting as much effort into the franchise as i feel most of you are, at what point do you say enough is enough? I remember the Steeler game where a lot of you were calling out other fans for selling their tickets to the Steelers. Why is that a problem?

The Jets are making no attempt to become an upper-echelon team, and some don

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Gosh, if I didn't know any better, I'd say you are all exhibiting "bandwagon" behavior. ;)

I agree.

When i was in high school i used to think the worst type of fan was the 'bandwagon' fan. Things change. Sport profits are going through the roof, the owners know they don't need to do anything but sit on their hands.

Fans need to make a stand at some point, otherwise we could be the next franchise that does nothing for 15 years.

Still pretty confused as to how the "Jets aren't trying to win".

Okay, though.

Signing two consecutive coaches with zero head coaching experience, never making a spalsh with serious free agents, having a stadium with the wrong team name on it, being called New York and being from New Jersey...

Signing two consecutive coaches with zero head coaching experience <everyone wanted Mangini here and RAILED about not hiring "retreads">, never making a spalsh with serious free agents <we signed ty law a year ago and we'll make big signings this offseason with the room we have. also, not necessarily indicative of a team ''not caring''. before this season, when did the patriots make ''splashes''?, having a stadium with the wrong team name on it <won't be the case in 2 years>, being called New York and being from New Jersey <irrelevant>

Signing two consecutive coaches with zero head coaching experience <everyone wanted Mangini here and RAILED about not hiring "retreads">, never making a spalsh with serious free agents <we signed ty law a year ago and we'll make big signings this offseason with the room we have. also, not necessarily indicative of a team ''not caring''. before this season, when did the patriots make ''splashes''?, having a stadium with the wrong team name on it <won't be the case in 2 years>, being called New York and being from New Jersey <irrelevant>

you call ty law a big splash? ty law was coming off a major injury to his foot, he was 30 years old and well past his prime.

Hiring Mangini may have been the best choice at the time, i like him to a point, all i'm saying is that he had a years worth of coordinating experience, which made him the cheapest coach available.

Don't get me wrong, i can't stand Daniel Snyder and his buying ways...but at least give us a glimmer of hope. I just don't feel it with this organization, there's nothing i can do about it, so i'll keep chearing for the jets. My only point is, if i had been dumping money into an organization that gives me no ROI, i might reconsider in the near future.

As a few of you know, I have never been to a Jets' home game. It seems apparant to me that a lot of you go to either every game, every home game, or to about half of the games in general.

With the Jets not putting as much effort into the franchise as i feel most of you are, at what point do you say enough is enough? I remember the Steeler game where a lot of you were calling out other fans for selling their tickets to the Steelers. Why is that a problem?

With the Jets not putting as much effort into the franchise as i feel most of you are, at what point do you say enough is enough?

I dont think the Jets arent putting in the effort in to try and build a winner. Its not as easy as people think it is to build a winner. The team is trying their best to put a winner on the field. And maybe we disagree on how they are doing it. But at no point do I think they arent trying. For me, I will stop going when the price exceeds what I can afford to pay. That will probably be around the time the new stadium opens.

I remember the Steeler game where a lot of you were calling out other fans for selling their tickets to the Steelers. Why is that a problem?

It is all based on your point of view. I am a die-hard fan. I will go win or lose as long as I can afford the tickets. Others arent so dedicated and only want to support the team when they are successful. The problem is that die-hards feel all season ticket holders should be die-hard fans, and suffer like the rest of us. But that isnt realistic. Most people want to be associated with winners. They dont like being around losers.

But if someone spend time on a jets messageboard, I would think they are a die-hard fan, who goes through the ups and downs of a franchise. You understand the love and dedication for your team. Why would you abandon them when they suck? If you love your team, you support them win or lose. If you're a casual fan, you stop going and tune the team out until they are successful.

Signing two consecutive coaches with zero head coaching experience, never making a spalsh with serious free agents, having a stadium with the wrong team name on it, being called New York and being from New Jersey...

Signing two consecutive coaches with zero head coaching experience

Its not like we hired Smizzy to coach the team. We hired 1 guy who was a coach on a very successful defensive team. It turns out he was a lousy head coach. We hired another guy from a franchise everyone is trying to copy, with no success.

never making a spalsh with serious free agents

I never realized you were there during the organizational meetings to see where the team felt our issues were and the available players and how they fit into our team. You can have your opinion on whether or not a certain player would have been good for us, but you never know. Look at Adailus Thomas. He declined in every category this year. But he was the biggest name available last year.

having a stadium with the wrong team name on it,

why does it matter where the games are played? Do you have such low self esteem that you let it bother you that we play in a place called Giants Stadium?? I'll give you some free advice: Stop caring about what other people think. It doesnt matter where we play our *****ing games. Enough of this bullsh!t. Christ. If you cant handle Giants fans who make fun of you because we play in Giants stadium maybe you need professional help. and fast.

being called New York and being from New Jersey

And why the hell do you think they are called the New York Jets? Because the name NEW YORK SELLS. Would it change ANYTHING if they were called the New Jersey Jets? No. It wouldnt.

Still pretty confused as to how the "Jets aren't trying to win".

Okay, though.

Do you think the organization (ownership) is trying to win? I've been a fan of this team a long time...long time I repeat. What is it about this team that prevents it from being one of the elite teams in the NFL...players, coaches, ownership, etc...you get my drift? Are we just destined to be a bottom feeder team that's caught bad breaks since '69 or is it more than that?

Understand, the Jets don't go out there with the intention of losing (I would hope not anyway), but are they (the organization) as committed to winning as some of the other teams? The Steelers, Cowboys, Pats, Colts, etc....just to name several...what's different about those teams through the years...it's got to be more than luck. And you would think after all these years, we would finally get it...but, we haven't.

Do you think the organization (ownership) is trying to win? I've been a fan of this team a long time...long time I repeat. What is it about this team that prevents it from being one of the elite teams in the NFL...players, coaches, ownership, etc...you get my drift? Are we just destined to be a bottom feeder team that's caught bad breaks since '69 or is it more than that?

Understand, the Jets don't go out there with the intention of losing (I would hope not anyway), but are they (the organization) as committed to winning as some of the other teams? The Steelers, Cowboys, Pats, Colts, etc....just to name several...what's different about those teams through the years...it's got to be more than luck. And you would think after all these years, we would finally get it...but, we haven't.

Umm. Yes. Yes I do.

PS - "Organization" does not mean "ownership", which for the Jets is one man.

I disagree with your opinion they aren't making an attempt to be an upper echelon team. I like a lot of what they are trying to do. If it was so easy to build a winner, everyone would be doing it. You think the 24 teams that didn't make the playoffs aren't trying to be in the upper echelon either? Sure you and others disagree with the decisions this team makes, but you aren't a professional working in this business every single day. You don't understand the inner workings of the NFL. You might think you do, but you don't. My father taught me a great lesson long ago: No matter how smart you think you are about sports, you don't know squat. I will never pretend to know more than a GM or coach.

-lil bit special-

This is one of the best posts I have ever seen! Most of us would come out of a day in an NFL office and realize how little we really understand how it works..Everything involved ties into each other so decisions are made on many factors,..Trade this guy to get that guy.etc..etc..That crap works in FANTASY FOOTBALL not in the real NFL..Case in point even if Tanny wants to trade Chad he can't say it..you kill Chad's trade value so you've got to say he's not going anywhere but are willing to listen to all calls of interest..Its a complex business this NFL and I think these two guys are doing everything they can do to succeed..We really need to watch these guys build a Jets Team we can be really proud of and I firmly believe they are going about it the correct way.

Umm. Yes. Yes I do.

PS - "Organization" does not mean "ownership", which for the Jets is one man.

Wise guy, the answer is more in depth then a simpleton "yes I do". I'm asking you what separates this team from the teams that have been successful through the years?

Signing two consecutive coaches with zero head coaching experience

Its not like we hired Smizzy to coach the team. We hired 1 guy who was a coach on a very successful defensive team. It turns out he was a lousy head coach. We hired another guy from a franchise everyone is trying to copy, with no success.

never making a spalsh with serious free agents

I never realized you were there during the organizational meetings to see where the team felt our issues were and the available players and how they fit into our team. You can have your opinion on whether or not a certain player would have been good for us, but you never know. Look at Adailus Thomas. He declined in every category this year. But he was the biggest name available last year.

having a stadium with the wrong team name on it,

why does it matter where the games are played? Do you have such low self esteem that you let it bother you that we play in a place called Giants Stadium?? I'll give you some free advice: Stop caring about what other people think. It doesnt matter where we play our *****ing games. Enough of this bullsh!t. Christ. If you cant handle Giants fans who make fun of you because we play in Giants stadium maybe you need professional help. and fast.

being called New York and being from New Jersey

And why the hell do you think they are called the New York Jets? Because the name NEW YORK SELLS. Would it change ANYTHING if they were called the New Jersey Jets? No. It wouldnt.

i like how you assume i have taken any of this personally. As for the name of the stadium, it's just laughable that we are the only franchise without our own field.

Why do you suppose players don't want to come here? Could it be New York? It's not the city, look no further than your Bronx bombers who real in MVP after MVP without any problem. Yet we can't seem to make a deal to Adalius Thomas? He's a good linebacker and all, but please...He's no Ray Lewis (in his prime), if we can't even land a good linebacker, what chance do we have at landing an elite QB, or RB?

There is a reason we never have a player that teams say they need to emulate. When was the last time we had a top 5 player his position? If you say Curtis Martin I'll fall over laughing.

Not enough talent. One would think in 40 years of futility, that we would have this so called "talent" to win another SB...who do you blame?

NOT MANGINI AND TANNENBAUM or WOODY for that matter

My point NS is give these two guys some time to get enough talent in here..I know the whole 40 years of frustration scenario but neither Eric or Mike were even born yet as were most of the people who post on this board. I think these guys will get us to were we need and want to go.. Some warm place in Early February.

NOT MANGINI AND TANNENBAUM or WOODY for that matter

My point NS is give these two guys some time to get enough talent in here..I know the whole 40 years of frustration scenario but neither Eric or Mike were even born yet as were most of the people who post on this board. I think these guys will get us to were we need and want to go.. Some warm place in Early February.

I understand what you're saying, but what I'm saying is, I have to put blame on the organization/ownership for not bringing the right football people in here that judge talent. We almost had it with Bill Parcells.

If the Tangini duo doesn't make a big impresson next season, Woody better open up his wallet and bring the best football minds in here. And if he doesn't, then Woody, Tannenbaum and Mangini become the new Three Stooges.

i like how you assume i have taken any of this personally. As for the name of the stadium, it's just laughable that we are the only franchise without our own field.

Why do you suppose players don't want to come here? Could it be New York? It's not the city, look no further than your Bronx bombers who real in MVP after MVP without any problem. Yet we can't seem to make a deal to Adalius Thomas? He's a good linebacker and all, but please...He's no Ray Lewis (in his prime), if we can't even land a good linebacker, what chance do we have at landing an elite QB, or RB?

There is a reason we never have a player that teams say they need to emulate. When was the last time we had a top 5 player his position? If you say Curtis Martin I'll fall over laughing.

Its not just for you, its for everyone who has ever complained that we play in New Jersey and in a stadium named for another team. Why is it laughable? We would have to pay more for our own stadium. Again, it doesnt matter where we play our games. It doesnt matter to players where we play our games. If a free agent wont sign with us because he has to drive to New Jersey 8 times a season then it might not be the type of player we need. Name of the stadium and the name of the team doesnt impact performance on the field.

Why dont players want to come here? I dont know. I am not there when free agents come to visit. I am not involved with the planning of the team. I dont remember reading anywhere that players refuse to play for the Jets because they are the Jets. Why didnt thomas come here? Maybe because we didnt offer what the Pats offered? Players will go where they feel they have the best chance of winning.

What impact free agent has gone to the Pats.. Colts.. Cowboys.. this season.....

another poster nailed it. mangini thought he could do what the pats have done for years: plug in anyone and have success. i hope the arrogance has been squeezed out of him now.

Not enough talent. One would think in 40 years of futility, that we would have this so called "talent" to win another SB...who do you blame?

If it is easy to win a Super Bowl, why have 15 teams not been able to win one. Failure is a lot easier than success. It takes a lot of luck to be in position to win a super bowl. Heck, if Peyton Manning comes out a year earlier he is a Jet and our history is very different. But things just havent worked out for us. But its not because of a lack of trying.

If it is easy to win a Super Bowl, why have 15 teams not been able to win one. Failure is a lot easier than success. It takes a lot of luck to be in position to win a super bowl. Heck, if Peyton Manning comes out a year earlier he is a Jet and our history is very different. But things just havent worked out for us. But its not because of a lack of trying.

I didn't say lack of trying...I'm saying lack of bringing in the right football people that judge talent and the ability to coach that talent.

Mr. Drago, you mention that you have never been to a Jets home game.

Your whole rant seems to be that those who do go should stop going because of

the quality of the product on the field.

Let me ask you this. Instead of living in Milwaukee, you lived in East Rutherford

and had season tickets would you now give up those tickets based on your rant???

I didn't say lack of trying...I'm saying lack of bringing in the right football people that judge talent and the ability to coach that talent.

we have had the coaches, but not the players.

and we have had the players, but not the coaches.

Its just been years and years of futility. Heck the Pats sucked for a long time. Then this guy Brady came along and made Belichick into a "genius."

Time to change our name and colors. Start over.

Mr. Drago, you mention that you have never been to a Jets home game.

Your whole rant seems to be that those who do go should stop going because of

the quality of the product on the field.

Let me ask you this. Instead of living in Milwaukee, you lived in East Rutherford

and had season tickets would you now give up those tickets based on your rant???

That's exactly why i posed the question. If i were a ticket owner, i would be getting close to not wanting to renew them. I'm sure i'm preaching to the chior here, but tickets are not cheap, and they are getting more and more expensive. If people don't make a decision on weather it is costing them 'too much', then prices will continue to rise.

Ask any business person, supply and demand, right now there is demand, they are trying to find the point where demand waivers and re-evaluate the situation.

people bash the Jets for not trying but that's BS

the 2007 team lost what? 8 games by a TD or less? and this was after getting whamboozled by a Patriots juggernaut in week 1, a team that was so good, no one has beaten them all year. They have two HOF locks on offense and a HOF lock at HC. anyone on the Jets with half a brain knew the division and probably conference were done deals after that game.

that's the x factor here, the Jets are in the division with the Pats. We have to get real.

What you are saying would be like a Red Sox fan complaining that the late 90's teams didn't "try hard enough" to beat the Yankees. Or the early 90's knicks didn't "try hard enough" to beat the Bulls.

They try, they just aren't as good. They came up close several times with wild card finishes - and while that "wasn't good enough either" for fans you gotta give the devil his due on this one.

Sometimes you are stuck in the divsion with a juggernaut. It doesn't mean you aren't trying but it does mean there is no amount of money you can give free agents to overcome that problem.

people bash the Jets for not trying but that's BS

the 2007 team lost what? 8 games by a TD or less? and this was after getting whamboozled by a Patriots juggernaut in week 1, a team that was so good, no one has beaten them all year. They have two HOF locks on offense and a HOF lock at HC. anyone on the Jets with half a brain knew the division and probably conference were done deals after that game.

that's the x factor here, the Jets are in the division with the Pats. We have to get real.

What you are saying would be like a Red Sox fan complaining that the late 90's teams didn't "try hard enough" to beat the Yankees. Or the early 90's knicks didn't "try hard enough" to beat the Bulls.

They try, they just aren't as good. They came up close several times with wild card finishes - and while that "wasn't good enough either" for fans you gotta give the devil his due on this one.

Sometimes you are stuck in the divsion with a juggernaut. It doesn't mean you aren't trying but it does mean there is no amount of money you can give free agents to overcome that problem.

yepperdoodles!!!

there's 32 teams in the NFL all vying for one thing. we have a 3% chance of winning every year. check any NFL team's fan messageboards at the beginning of the year, i guarantee everyone always expects to do well. its simply not in the cards, we arent special, our team isnt special. maybe some day they'll win it, but the fact is theres 32 teams going for the same thing. those arent good odds. and thems is the truth

and furthermore, its quite obvious the Jets are and always will be a second class franchise.

they play in somebody elses stadium. for 7 years, they didnt put color in the team's friggin endzones. when the Jets score a touchdown, occasionally they light off a firework or two. when the Steelers or Patriots win a Super Bowl, they rig the whole frigging city with fireworks. when we retire Curtis Martin's number, theres people running onto the field trying to take away Sprint signs as our greatest running back ever tries to speak. the Patriots owner has given his "fans of New England" championship speech like 7 times, our owner stutters. to bitch about our team's second class status is stupid, dont be a fan of the team if you can't handle it. thats part of the fun of being a Jets fan, the fact that our team is second class underdogs. if you've been a fan of them this long, whats the point of complaining now?

Archived