I said it before, I'll say it again -- Jags will beat Pats

BP

Green_Jeremy_55.jpg

By Jeremy Green

Scouts Inc.

(Archive)

Nearly a month ago, I wrote a blog that said if they met in the playoffs, the Jacksonville Jaguars would beat the New England Patriots. Apparently, not everyone agreed. My inbox was flooded with hate mail and questions about my sanity. Some people wanted to know whether I had a recent concussion that went untreated. Eventually, the e-mails softened and users told me it was moot because the Jaguars would not even advance out of the first round to meet the Patriots.

Well, thanks to San Diego and Jacksonville winning their wild-card playoff games, my predicted matchup is here: Jags against the Patriots. So am I ready to take it back? Absolutely not. Despite the mild forecast (I was hoping for some snow and wind), I'm still picking the Jaguars.

First of all, it all starts with a little R-E-S-P-E-C-T. Aretha Franklin sang about it and the Jaguars are looking for some of it. The Jaguars went 11-5 in the toughest division in the NFL -- the AFC South -- and would have gone 12-4 had they played their starters in Week 17. The Patriots played in the dismal AFC East. After going 16-0, I will call them the best regular-season team of all time, but six of those wins came against the Bills, Dolphins and Jets, who were a combined 12-36. Still, despite that, the Patriots have eight Pro Bowlers while the Jaguars had zero. OK, Fred Taylor got in this week due to an injury to Willie Parker, but that's not exactly a rousing show of respect. I know Jacksonville coach Jack Del Rio will be reminding his players all week that they had no Pro Bowl players voted in by their peers, opposing coaches or fans. He will be telling his team the Patriots' coaches, players and fans don't respect them since those are the people who make up the voting process. The Jaguars will be motivated.

Secondly, I don't really care what the Patriots' defense is ranked -- it is overrated. Yes, they were fourth overall, 10th against the run and fourth in scoring defense. Those are great stats, but they are misleading. The Patriots' run defense was not very good against Dallas, which averaged 6.2 yards per carry. Or Indianapolis, as Joseph Addai ran for 112 yards. Or Baltimore (Willis McGahee had 138 yards) or the New York Giants, who averaged over four yards a carry. The common denominator is those last three games were close. The Patriots' run defense ranking looks good, but it's a mirage. It's that high because the Patriots blow people out and force them to throw. You know what I love about the Jags? They don't get blown out. Teams that don't commit penalties don't get blown out. Teams that take care of the ball don't get blown out. Teams that can run the ball don't get blown out.

Speaking of that run game, the Jaguars have big-time running backs in Taylor and Maurice Jones-Drew. They also have a ticked-off offensive line that gets overlooked despite its success. Taylor and Jones-Drew don't make miracles happen every week on their own. Vince Manuwai, one of the most physical guards in the NFL, should have been a Pro Bowler. He is an excellent athlete who can get to the second level, and his ability to reach veteran ILBs Tedy Bruschi and Junior Seau will open up the Jacksonville run game. The Patriots have an excellent defensive line and it gets much more hype than the Jaguars' offensive line. But the Jaguars won't back down from anyone. They look at this Patriots defensive line and believe it's just another opportunity to prove they are tougher and more physical.

And in a twist, what the Jaguars do best on offense is also their best defense against the amazing Patriots offense. There really is not a defensive scheme yet devised to stop the Patriots' offense. It is the most explosive attack we have seen in a long time, but know this: New England won't be able to run on Jacksonville. Pittsburgh ran it 26 times for a 1.7 average Saturday night, so the Patriots will throw the ball. The Jaguars' weak link is the back end of the defense. How do you protect your pass defense if you are the Jags? You run the ball. Then you run the ball again. Then you run the ball some more. The best way to beat the Patriots' offense is to leave it standing on the sideline. Tom Brady, Randy Moss, Wes Welker and Co. can't beat you if they are not on the field.

Now that sounds simple and there's much more Jacksonville will need to do to pull of this historic upset. And undoubtedly, Del Rio will have a great game plan because he is one of the best coaches in the NFL. There is only so much he can do though. To beat the best, you have to play your best. For Jacksonville, that means running the ball, establishing a good short-to-intermediate, high-percentage passing game, winning the turnover battle and having the advantage in the special teams. The Patriots have dominated teams with their talent and because they're intimidating. But Del Rio isn't easily intimidated and neither are the Jags.

So, yes, I guess I will continue to be unfazed by the Patriots' 16-0 record. And no, I am not a fan of the Jaguars or hater of the Patriots. A fan never thinks his team can lose, but no team is invincible. In the playoffs, it's one-and-done and anything can happen. Even Jacksonville beating New England.

link

I can see jax giving them a game... doubt they win, Delrio makes too many

mental errors

Their only chance is to pound the run with MJD, and have 6 to 8 minute

drives. Use play action to mecedes lewis their TE.

Pound Brady, hit em all night, take a couple penalties if you have to.

Smack Moss in the mouth early in the game

IMO next week is the SB Ponies vs Cheatahs

Anything is POSSIBLE, but I do have to say I would be extremely surprised if the Jags could win that matchup. Garrard isn't good enough to carry the offense, and the Pats front 7 has been traditionally good against the run in the playoffs. On defense, this team gave up about 30 to the Steelers offense, which isn't nearly as talented as the Pats O. Brady won't be throwing 3 INTs either, most likely. This could be a blowout to the tune of 63-0.

Even if the Jags keep it close, in the end, one of the refs will need to blow his nose on a critical 4th down play, drop his yellow hankie and then make up a bogus call to give the Pats a 1st down to cover up him needing to wipe his nose.

I'm seriously thinking about not even watching the playoffs. The bull**** that has happened with the Pats this year really has sucked the life out of me as far as football goes.

no, that's not what you said, but the article...that's what I was referring to.

Oh right, fair enough.

He's one of the best motivators and is great at building a team/recognising talent but his horrible game management really lets him down. Unlike Herm though he is aggresive so IMO he has what it takes to be succesful in the playoffs.

JAX keys to win:

1. Time of Possession: Establish the running game early, and sustain long drives. Keep Brady off the field for as long as possible.

2. Fight fire with fire: Use the offense aggressively and ditch the conservative crap.

3. Stay Clean: No more than 4 penalties in the entire game; and this goes without saying, but NO TURNOVERS.

NE keys to win:

1. Brady to Moss

2. Brady to Stallworth

3. Brady to Welker

My keys to the game:

Jacksonville-

Establish the run. IMO they should really target those old LB's. The Pats D-line can sometimes hide the weakness that is there, the key to running on the Pats isto wear them down. They are Tough to run on early when they are fresh but after getting a huge dose of either Freddy or Mojo expect the other to come in and take advantage. Which brings me to my next point. They better take advantage of their great RB tandem.

Keep it close!!! - They can't let the Pats get a big lead early. The Pats will probably go to the air early and come out firing,the Jags secondary will really need to step up as IMO it may take the Jags offence some time to get going.

Blitz, Blitz and Blitz - The Jags don't blitz often simply because they can normally get enough pressure with their front 4, well the Pats aren't normal and with Stroud out and Henderson hurting it will be incredibly difficult for the Jags to be as dominant up front as usual.

Play smart - If Garrard plays like they did last week they're done, he needs to make better desicions and make more accurate throws. Hopefully last week (being his first playoff start) was just nerves and he'll get back to his regular season form this week. The Jags can't afford to hurt themselves in this game, The Pats are tough enough without having to put up with penalties and turnovers too. Del Rio has to coach smart too.

New England-

Who cares as long as they F'ing lose!!!

Oh right, fair enough.

He's one of the best motivators and is great at building a team/recognising talent but his horrible game management really lets him down. Unlike Herm though he is aggresive so IMO he has what it takes to be succesful in the playoffs.

Yah! Remember when he brought a big hunk of wood into the lockerroom and had everyone take a strike at it with an Ax. Yah, Remember when the Kicker ended up out for the season after his turn?! That is some motivating team building right there, I tell yah!

BTW - blitzing Brady all night long will be detrimental to Jax. That much I know. Beat Brady and his Pats? Keep his arse on the sideline. Have l-o-n-g drives that result in TD's, not FG's. Get a turn-over or two. Win the special teams battle.

Yah! Remember when he brought a big hunk of wood into the lockerroom and had everyone take a strike at it with an Ax. Yah, Remember when the Kicker ended up out for the season after his turn?! That is some motivating team building right there, I tell yah!

BTW - blitzing Brady all night long will be detrimental to Jax. That much I know. Beat Brady and his Pats? Keep his arse on the sideline. Have l-o-n-g drives that result in TD's, not FG's. Get a turn-over or two. Win the special teams battle.

Actually, I don't' think that was as bad of a gimmick to motivate players as the media made it out to be and it was working until the kicker got injured....however, I never hear anyone blaming the damn kicker for getting hurt....seriously!

Maybe you would like them to gather round and sing kum bah ya

Actually, I don't' think that was as bad of a gimmick to motivate players as the media made it out to be and it was working until the kicker got injured....however, I never hear anyone blaming the damn kicker for getting hurt....seriously!

Maybe you would like them to gather round and sing kum bah ya

Gimme a break.

I tell you one thing, the main reason Jax beat Pitt is because Tomlin ended up being dumber than DelRio.

I explained why they should blitz. Look at the teams that really played the Pats close and troubled Brady. Baltimore and Philly done it by getting to him early and often. That kind of stuff throws him off rythym, Indy didn't need to blitz because they had Freeney. Pressuring Brady is the only way he will make mistakes, one of those WR's will get open eventually. Unfortunately for the Jags, with all those injuries on the line I doubt they will generate any pressure with the front 4 so IMO they'll have to take chances and blitz him.

As for Del Rio, yes that incident with the axe was pretty funny and very embarrasing from his point of view but you can't possibly use that as your reason for him being a bad coach. He is built up one hell of a team whether you like to admit it or not, and anyone who watches the Jags can tell they're a very physical, aggresive and motivated football team and I credit a lot of that to Del Rio.

Gimme a break.

I tell you one thing, the main reason Jax beat Pitt is because Tomlin ended up being dumber than DelRio.

:)

True dat.

God, this thread is reminding me so much of the Herm era.....thank god he is gone. And I was one of the dumb asses that defended him in the beginning.

Archived