Top 25 Free Agents-Make Your Picks

SoFlaJets

1. Asante Samuel, CB, Patriots. In addition to being tough and disciplined in coverage, he's the game-changing ballhawk who can reverse the fortunes of an entire secondary.

2. Albert Haynesworth, DT, Titans. The chance for big money motivated him to have his best NFL season. The fact that there are so few young, space-eating, run-stuffing defensive tackles increases his value even more.

3. Alan Faneca, G, Steelers. It will be weird to see Pittsburgh's offensive line without his mean, nasty and mighty presence on the interior. He's 31, but he still has much to contribute as dominant run blocker.

4. Dallas Clark, TE, Colts. The only question was his health, and he answered that with his most durable and productive season (58 catches, 616 yards, 11 TDs). Indy will do everything it can (franchise tag if needed) to lock up this versatile, athletic cog for its offense.

5. Jared Allen, DE, Chiefs. Like Haynesworth and Clark, you can expect Allen's current team to ensure he returns. The NFL's new sack champ (15 1/2) has put his off-field issues behind him to become a premier end.

6. Randy Moss, WR, Patriots. Moss might have found so much career bliss in New England that he just might stay, even if he's offered bigger bucks to go elsewhere.

7. Marion Barber, RB, Cowboys. Expect this young, bruising back to go from restricted to re-upped for the long term, especially with the team unlikely to re-sign backfield mate Julius Jones.

8. Corey Williams, DT, Packers. He's what oft-injured Falcon Rod Coleman used to be three years ago -- a talented interior pass rusher in his prime.

9. Derek Anderson, QB, Browns. He's restricted, so Cleveland can keep him through 2008 by tendering him, which would require other teams to give up first-round and third-round picks to sign him away. The Browns should realize they've found their franchise quarterback and give him the long-term deal he wants.

10. Nnamdi Asomugha, CB, Raiders. Not many know the name or can pronounce it, but he's a solid young cover corner with rare size (6-2, 210) for the position.

11. Michael Boley, OLB, Falcons. He had a breakout season, and Atlanta should reward him so he can be an integral part of new coach Mike Smith's defense, which featured good linebacker play in Jacksonville.

12. Terrell Suggs, OLB/DE, Ravens. Suggs, along with Baltimore's entire defense, had a bit of a down season, but he still will be highly coveted as a versatile edge rusher.

13. Michael Turner, RB, Chargers. It still isn't known whether the Burner can be successful handling a full load after being a first-rate backup to LT. It would be fun, however, to see him get the chance.

14. Marcus Trufant, CB, Seahawks. In his fifth season, Trufant delivered on the promise he showed as a second-year player, which might prompt Seattle to put the franchise tag on its ace defensive back.

15. Lance Briggs, OLB, Bears. He finally will get his wish to break the bank away from the Bears, but it's buyer beware since his play dropped off in '07.

16. Ken Hamlin, S, Cowboys. Dallas finally found the playmaking coverage safety to complement the hard-hitting, run-supporting Roy Williams. But it will be hard for the Cowboys to keep Hamlin.

17. Bernard Berrian, WR, Bears. Shaky quarterback play has limited his potential as a big-play threat. On the right team with a top passer, he has superstar ability.

18. Julius Jones, RB, Cowboys. It's clear Big D's backfield belongs to Barber, so Jones will hope he ran well enough as a part-timer to get a look as a feature back elsewhere.

19. Ryan Lilja, G, Colts. He's an outstanding all-around blocker in a prolific offense.

20. Clark Haggans, OLB, Steelers. James Harrison emerged as Pittsburgh's latest edge-rushing ace after the departure of Joey Porter; now Haggans will need to move on with LaMarr Woodley ready and waiting.

21. Jordan Gross, OT, Panthers. Carolina struggled offensively in '07, but Gross held up well as the ideal right tackle.

22. Jake Scott, G, Colts. Just like Lilja, he's a strong presence who has flanked center Jeff Saturday.

23. D.J. Hackett, WR, Seahawks. He has shown explosive potential when healthy. The key is how he checks out after having some time to rehab his injured ankle.

24. Justin Smith, DE, Bengals. Just like his team, Smith didn't deliver as much on the pass rush this season. At this point, his size (6-4, 275) and savvy make him a good complementary end to an established sack artist.

25. Max Starks, OT, Steelers. Although he will need to come back from a left knee injury, the left tackle's talent, size (336) and age (26) make him more attractive than older tackles such as the Cowboys' Flozell Adams.

I would go strongly after one of the Colts' guards. The Colts O-line has been one of the best in the game for their playoff run and both of those guys are young and solid all-around blockers and IMO will be a much better and more cost effective option than Faneca. And I doubt the Colts will be able to keep both, if even one, of them. After that I would make a play for Asomugha to put alongside Revis and then go after another offensive lineman, preferably a RT like Gross or Stacey Andrews from Cincinnati.

the jets can seriously improve their team with a couple of signings from this list. if i were tanny i would go after:

1. gross or starks

2. asomugha - w/revis on the other side this may be the best young cb tandem in the nfl

3. suggs - doubt there is any $ left over if they can get the 2 from above but suggs is an elite pass rusher.

if the jets can get 1+2 from above, they could get a pass rusher in the draft and really have a decent team next year.

1. Asante Samuel, CB, Patriots. In addition to being tough and disciplined in coverage, he's the game-changing ballhawk who can reverse the fortunes of an entire secondary.

2. Albert Haynesworth, DT, Titans. The chance for big money motivated him to have his best NFL season. The fact that there are so few young, space-eating, run-stuffing defensive tackles increases his value even more.

3. Alan Faneca, G, Steelers. It will be weird to see Pittsburgh's offensive line without his mean, nasty and mighty presence on the interior. He's 31, but he still has much to contribute as dominant run blocker.

4. Dallas Clark, TE, Colts. The only question was his health, and he answered that with his most durable and productive season (58 catches, 616 yards, 11 TDs). Indy will do everything it can (franchise tag if needed) to lock up this versatile, athletic cog for its offense.

5. Jared Allen, DE, Chiefs. Like Haynesworth and Clark, you can expect Allen's current team to ensure he returns. The NFL's new sack champ (15 1/2) has put his off-field issues behind him to become a premier end.

6. Randy Moss, WR, Patriots. Moss might have found so much career bliss in New England that he just might stay, even if he's offered bigger bucks to go elsewhere.

7. Marion Barber, RB, Cowboys. Expect this young, bruising back to go from restricted to re-upped for the long term, especially with the team unlikely to re-sign backfield mate Julius Jones.

8. Corey Williams, DT, Packers. He's what oft-injured Falcon Rod Coleman used to be three years ago -- a talented interior pass rusher in his prime.

9. Derek Anderson, QB, Browns. He's restricted, so Cleveland can keep him through 2008 by tendering him, which would require other teams to give up first-round and third-round picks to sign him away. The Browns should realize they've found their franchise quarterback and give him the long-term deal he wants.

10. Nnamdi Asomugha, CB, Raiders. Not many know the name or can pronounce it, but he's a solid young cover corner with rare size (6-2, 210) for the position.

11. Michael Boley, OLB, Falcons. He had a breakout season, and Atlanta should reward him so he can be an integral part of new coach Mike Smith's defense, which featured good linebacker play in Jacksonville.

12. Terrell Suggs, OLB/DE, Ravens. Suggs, along with Baltimore's entire defense, had a bit of a down season, but he still will be highly coveted as a versatile edge rusher.

13. Michael Turner, RB, Chargers. It still isn't known whether the Burner can be successful handling a full load after being a first-rate backup to LT. It would be fun, however, to see him get the chance.

14. Marcus Trufant, CB, Seahawks. In his fifth season, Trufant delivered on the promise he showed as a second-year player, which might prompt Seattle to put the franchise tag on its ace defensive back.

15. Lance Briggs, OLB, Bears. He finally will get his wish to break the bank away from the Bears, but it's buyer beware since his play dropped off in '07.

16. Ken Hamlin, S, Cowboys. Dallas finally found the playmaking coverage safety to complement the hard-hitting, run-supporting Roy Williams. But it will be hard for the Cowboys to keep Hamlin.

17. Bernard Berrian, WR, Bears. Shaky quarterback play has limited his potential as a big-play threat. On the right team with a top passer, he has superstar ability.

18. Julius Jones, RB, Cowboys. It's clear Big D's backfield belongs to Barber, so Jones will hope he ran well enough as a part-timer to get a look as a feature back elsewhere.

19. Ryan Lilja, G, Colts. He's an outstanding all-around blocker in a prolific offense.

20. Clark Haggans, OLB, Steelers. James Harrison emerged as Pittsburgh's latest edge-rushing ace after the departure of Joey Porter; now Haggans will need to move on with LaMarr Woodley ready and waiting.

21. Jordan Gross, OT, Panthers. Carolina struggled offensively in '07, but Gross held up well as the ideal right tackle.

22. Jake Scott, G, Colts. Just like Lilja, he's a strong presence who has flanked center Jeff Saturday.

23. D.J. Hackett, WR, Seahawks. He has shown explosive potential when healthy. The key is how he checks out after having some time to rehab his injured ankle.

24. Justin Smith, DE, Bengals. Just like his team, Smith didn't deliver as much on the pass rush this season. At this point, his size (6-4, 275) and savvy make him a good complementary end to an established sack artist.

25. Max Starks, OT, Steelers. Although he will need to come back from a left knee injury, the left tackle's talent, size (336) and age (26) make him more attractive than older tackles such as the Cowboys' Flozell Adams.

Realistically I could see us going after and getting Gross and Scott and DE Allen.

the jets can seriously improve their team with a couple of signings from this list. if i were tanny i would go after:

1. gross or starks

2. asomugha - w/revis on the other side this may be the best young cb tandem in the nfl

3. suggs - doubt there is any $ left over if they can get the 2 from above but suggs is an elite pass rusher.

if the jets can get 1+2 from above, they could get a pass rusher in the draft and really have a decent team next year.

I like this list. Offensive line is the team's greatest weakness that I think should be at least partly remedied with a veteran (or two). SO, GROSS or STARKS makes alot of sense to me. ASOMUGHA is my favorite FA of all, regardless of position. SUGGS is my second favorite FA.

I also like Rex HADNOT, from Miami, but we cant have everything. Anyway, Parcells isnt gonna trade for Barber only to lose a proven run blocker.

I like this list. Offensive line is the team's greatest weakness that I think should be at least partly remedied with a veteran (or two). SO, GROSS or STARKS makes alot of sense to me. ASOMUGHA is my favorite FA of all, regardless of position. SUGGS is my second favorite FA.

I also like Rex HADNOT, from Miami, but we cant have everything. Anyway, Parcells isnt gonna trade for Barber only to lose a proven run blocker.

"Asomugha was selected as the Oakland Raiders Team Captain for the 2007 season. The 2007 season was a lonely existence for Asomugha, who paid for his eight-interception breakout season of 2006. Even established star quarterbacks such as Brett Favre and Peyton Manning, neither short on confidence or receivers, would not challenge him. Opposing quarterbacks tested him only 31 times with a mere 10 completions the entire season. One NFL scout told Pro Football Weekly that Asomugha was thrown at "less than any defender in the last 10 years" in 2007 *[2]. He finished the 2007 season with 34 tackles, 1 interception and 7 breakups. Asomugha was selected as an AFC alternate for the 2008 Pro Bowl in Honolulu, Hawaii."

All of the above!!! :)

The CB whose name I am unable to pronounce would be nice, but not if we have the break the bank for him, we do have a lot of other needs. I'd like us to pick up at least 2 olineman, it really doesn't matter who because they'll be better than the crap that we currently have. I'd rather it not be faneca because he's old and probably too expensive. Anyone who can help out defense would be a great pick, if it a d-lineman or a backer I don't care. It would be awesome if we could get at least 3 guys from this list, but is that realistic cap-wise?

i am not sold on faneca.

he is 31 and wants a load of cash. this team isn't going to be great until at least 09 so why not go a little younger. gross and starks are still both well under 30 and will still be in their prime when the jets are ready to make a run. the jets are very young and actually have a decent group of core talent.

if the jets can add 3 marquis players all under 30 - asomugha, gross/starks, suggs, #6 overall - that is a ton of talent for the next 3-5 years.

i am not sold on faneca.

he is 31 and wants a load of cash. this team isn't going to be great until at least 09 so why not go a little younger. gross and starks are still both well under 30 and will still be in their prime when the jets are ready to make a run. the jets are very young and actually have a decent group of core talent.

if the jets can add 3 marquis players all under 30 - asomugha, gross/starks, suggs, #6 overall - that is a ton of talent for the next 3-5 years.

I agree, get it done tangini!

I'll take a #3, a #10, a #12 and a #17 to go please. Thank you.

124's picks;

pretty good ones too but I would forego Berrian in favor of trading Vilma to Cincy for Ocho Cinco

i am not sold on faneca.

You are aware that at 30 a guard of Faneca's ability could easily maintain a high level of play for the next 3-5 years?

30 is not that old for a guard.

Nice find SFJ.

Realistically if we could get Gross, Asomugha or Suggs, and then some lower tier free agents to bring in for competition, then I would be very happy. Clark Haggans would be a good pick up as well as maybe one of the two Colts guards.

You are aware that at 30 a guard of Faneca's ability could easily maintain a high level of play for the next 3-5 years?

30 is not that old for a guard.

he isn't 30, he's 31. that means 33/34 by the time this team is competitive. at $15-20M signing bonus you would like to get a long term deal to ammortize against the cap. if it's faneca or nothing i would go w/faneca. i am just saying i think there may be younger options available. if i was going to shell out $20M in a signing bonus i would want to exclusively target players under 30, i.e. gross, suggs, asomugha

If we sign Hayneworth I'd make him a 3-4 End. I seriously feel he would dominate from there.

Rumors are that Faneca is most likely going to end up in arizona, but who knows. I agree that normally pitts oline is very dominant, but this year wasn't that great. I personally saw a decline in his play over the last couple years and i don't think he'll be worth the money he'll command (i also wouldn't be surprised to see him take a pay cut to play for his beloved cardinals). I think one of the ways we could go if we can't land lilja or scott would be Floyd Womack; he had a pretty healthy season this past year, but because he isn't the the most reliable player he could potentially be had for less (he'll be 30 this year and has great size..6'4 330) and allow us to groom a guard behind him. Just one of the options.

I know i've said this numerous times and probably is getting old, but I personally think the number one free agent for us is Stacy Andrews. He has the same size as max starks but better athleticism. Max starks is a good run blocker but pretty mediocre as a pass blocker. Stacey's athleticism allows him to be able to pull as an offensive guard and also play RT. Because Andrews can play both LG and RT he gives us tremendous flexibility entering the draft; we could go for the top RT or top LG based on value at our position. And i know there are those people who feel adding a veteran between mangold and dbrick would be the best thing, but if we decide to keep Stacy or Starks at RT and draft a guard i don't have a problem putting a rook in between mangold and brick as long as he is more than solid. Dbrick and mangold are gonna be third year players and I personally beleive its not a veteran presence that they need in between them but just a flat out presence.

I know we weren't talking about the draft here, but it leads into my next guy. I really like Dre Moore and Red Bryant as 34 DEs, but if we were to adress this via Free agency, which i don't think we will, I would take a strong look at Corey Williams. Tremendous size at 6'4 313 lbs (not sure of the reach) and has played every position on the defensive line. Feel free to correct me if im wrong becuase my viewing of him is limited, but i've noticed that he is strong enough to take on two blockers and hold his ground and at the sime time athletic enough to get to the qb. Ideally we just want a guy to be able to occupy two blockers and push the pocket, but he has taken many snaps as a 3-technique tackle and has shown the ability to 1 gap very well for his size.

I also would not be surprised to see randal gay persued; i don't feel mangini would have wasted his time bringing him and andrews in for a little red carpet treatment without having them in mind for the following year.

THe last two years i havn't criticized mangini and tannenbaum for not getting any impact free agents, becuase the truth is that there weren't many to have. I've made a few posts saying the same thing, but guys like adalius thomas signed early and for less money, clements demanded huge money and same thing with steinbach and leonard davis (all three i feel were overpaid, due to the lack of depth in the free agent market and the increased cap due to the cba). A lot of people criticize him for bringing in the wadsworths, haynes etc. but i actually commend him for it. He did the best he could by bringing in andrews and gay even though they were RFA and made the best of all the "leftover" players and found a pretty good on in elam. No i don't think these players will put us over the top, however i don't feel he does either. I'm pretty sure he is jsut doing whatever he can do improve the team and i commend him for that.

I will say that this year there are significant options available and a lot of money to land an impact player or two; i would personally be happy just getting Stacy Andrews. If a player or two isn't landed this offseason and isn't made up for it in the draft than i will be official pissed!!!

i am not sold on faneca.

Ryan Lilja, by far, is the best OG on that list. Faneca is old and played lkike a turnstile last year.

Archived