Richest contract in Jets history on the horizon? Also..CONFIRMED Rhodes contract talk

InstantClassic

Steelers' Faneca is on Jets' radar

By RICH CIMINI

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Thursday, February 28th 2008, 4:00 AM

The Jets are known for their conservative approach to free agency, but with money to burn and plenty of holes to fill, they appear willing to spend big when the signing period opens after midnight Thursday. But will they spend crazily for one of the coveted prizes?

They figure to be suitors for two of the biggest names on the market, Steelers left guard Alan Faneca and Patriots cornerback Asante Samuel, but it probably will take the richest contract in Jets history to land either one.

In terms of need, Faneca should be the No. 1 priority for the Jets. After waiving one-year bust Adrien Clarke Tuesday, they have a gaping hole at left guard. Faneca, 31, who has appeared in seven straight Pro Bowls, will command at least $19 million in guarantees (last year's market for free-agent guards), and there are indications the Jets are one of the favorites to sign Faneca.

That would be a stunning reversal for the Jets, who refused to give $1 million last year to keep Pete Kendall happy. But the offensive line was a mess in '07, and desperation sometimes controls the checkbook. They also could strike early by signing Raiders defensive end Tommy Kelly, 27, a second-tier player coming off knee surgery. Cards linebacker Calvin Pace, an emerging pass rusher, also is on their wish list, as is Lions guard Damien Woody.

Samuel, 27, coming off his first Pro Bowl season, is believed to be seeking a 10-year, $100 million deal, with $30 million guaranteed. The Jets would love to take a player from the rival Patriots, one already familiar with Eric Mangini (they spent three years together in New England), but it's probably dreamland.

"We can sign seven players or not sign any," GM Mike Tannenbaum said last week in a radio interview. "You just never know the vagaries of free agency, but we're prepared and we'll see what happens. We're working hard to put ourselves in a position to react to the market."

The Jets have an estimated $20 million in salary-cap space, and they could gain another $8.4 million by trading nose tackle Dewayne Robertson, who is being shopped. Linebacker Jonathan Vilma also is on the trading block, and he was in Detroit yesterday taking a physical for the Lions, a possible precursor to a trade. Lions nose tackle Shaun Rogers has been mentioned in those trade talks.

The Jets will need money to satisfy wide receiver Laveranues Coles, who wants a long-term deal, and they'd also like to lock up safety Kerry Rhodes (a restricted free agent in 2009). Talks are ongoing in both cases.

[-o<

Remember the last time we tossed lots of money at a FA from the Steelers. Why couldn't we just give the extra million to Kendall and saved the hassle? Faneca is already 31. I'm not too enthralled with this news.

31 years old is in the prime for offensive linemen Carl

Pennington's - 4 seasons ago - was still richer than this one for Faneca. $18M guaranteed, but another $3M roster bonus due at the start of year 3 and yet another $2M roster bonus at the start of year 4. This, of course, is in addition to his base salary.

The only thing richer would be the amt paid in year one.

Remember the last time we tossed lots of money at a FA from the Steelers. Why couldn't we just give the extra million to Kendall and saved the hassle? Faneca is already 31. I'm not too enthralled with this news.

Faneca>Kendall IMO. Plus we got a 3rd round pick for Kendall, if i'm not mistaken.

Pennington's - 4 seasons ago - was still richer than this one for Faneca. $18M guaranteed, but another $3M roster bonus due at the start of year 3 and yet another $2M roster bonus at the start of year 4. This, of course, is in addition to his base salary.

The only thing richer would be the amt paid in year one.

so SE-you're on board with this possible Faneca signing?

so SE-you're on board with this possible Faneca signing?

I guess. I'm not crazy about it. But if this is what a FA guard with his resume costs, then that's what it costs.

This is also the price for failing to address either of two OL positions last year. Can't draft two in the same year & expect them to both start from day one again. So we've kind of painted ourselves into a corner.

Still some concerns I don't know answers to. Like is it true he drops down to 275 lbs during the season? If so, no way. If he maintains a legit 300-310, and last year was just a result of having such weak guys to his right & left, then his experience as much as his skill might make it worth it.

Is he worth it? No. But after being so overly-frugal for 2 years, It makes little sense to pass on him b/c we "truly" feel that he should only get $12-15M guaranteed at his age.

We won't run out of cap room b/c of him alone & it's Woody's money not mine.

I guess. I'm not crazy about it. But if this is what a FA guard with his resume costs, then that's what it costs.

This is also the price for failing to address either of two OL positions last year. Can't draft two in the same year & expect them to both start from day one again. So we've kind of painted ourselves into a corner.

Still some concerns I don't know answers to. Like is it true he drops down to 275 lbs during the season? If so, no way. If he maintains a legit 300-310, and last year was just a result of having such weak guys to his right & left, then his experience as much as his skill might make it worth it.

Is he worth it? No. But after being so overly-frugal for 2 years, It makes little sense to pass on him b/c we "truly" feel that he should only get $12-15M guaranteed at his age.

I don't know I still hold Bradway and Edwards responsible for 5 years of not addressing the OL-Marko, Adrien Jones and Goodwin all late picks in 5 years hurt this franchise tremendously-they TRIED and IMO did a good job with Mangold and Brick-Bender last year is still a mystery-and we only had 4 picks last year too. And you're right it IS Woody's money that you guys up there who pay for games help him get-so yea I want to see every penny of cap room spent on NEW players and I don't care if Kerry Rhodes has to play a year franchised either-no urgency for current Jets-even Coles and Rhodes

I'm not really trilled about signing Faneca myself...but we need (vet) help on the Oline, and the pickings are really slim out there so we'll have to over pay. That said, upgrading this Oline is a must this offseason, we have the cap so lets spend it.

I'm not really trilled about signing Faneca myself...but we need (vet) help on the Oline, and the pickings are really slim out there so we'll have to over pay. That said, upgrading this Oline is a must this offseason, we have the cap so lets spend it.

Lets just hope its not Kimo round 2.

So apparently the Jets could tender Rhodes at a high value (1st and 3rd round pick) and still have him for 2009. So really, the Jets have two years to get his contract done. Still, you don't want to risk it and would really like to see him signed to a 5-7 year deal this offseason.

Faneca>Kendall IMO. Plus we got a 3rd round pick for Kendall, if i'm not mistaken.

No, we got a 2008 5th rounder which became a 2009 4th rounder when Kendall started all the games for the Redskins.

Cheap pickup for the skins in return for a guy who startted every game for a team in a year that they made the playoffs.

I have been a fan of this team since 06 then they went 1-15. I know how it fells like to be a fan of this club and go through the good and bad times. Our mangement and business has changed over the years and the Jets are making up for their free agent mistakes.

If you want to cry and moan about how things were done here in NY for the past 40 years go ahead. I know this oready about my team i dont need you telling me that information man.

Maybe you should try thinking high of your team. You'll fell much better about yourself when you actally watch games. I watched ALL Jets games since 96 and i'll die a Jets fan.

Im not stuck in the past im over it, Im worried about now and the Jets are doing their best it seems like it.

In terms of need, Faneca should be the No. 1 priority for the Jets. After waiving one-year bust Adrien Clarke Tuesday, they have a gaping hole at left guard. Faneca, 31, who has appeared in seven straight Pro Bowls, will command at least $19 million in guarantees (last year's market for free-agent guards), and there are indications the Jets are one of the favorites to sign Faneca.

That would be a stunning reversal for the Jets, who refused to give $1 million last year to keep Pete Kendall happy. But the offensive line was a mess in '07, and desperation sometimes controls the checkbook. They also could strike early by signing Raiders defensive end Tommy Kelly, 27, a second-tier player coming off knee surgery. Cards linebacker Calvin Pace, an emerging pass rusher, also is on their wish list, as is Lions guard Damien Woody.

is there a 18 million dollar difference between faneca and kendall????

I'd much much rather have Faneca over Samuel. Samuel is good but not worth anywhere near $100 million and I think Revis is clearly a #1 CB. We could use another starting CB but signing Samuel for that much money would be a mistake IMO.

And they damn well better get Rhodes locked up.

Archived