JETS INTERESTED IN MOSS (?)

gangreenman

TANNENBAUM EVASIVE ON MOSS INTEREST

We've been fascinated of late by the possibility that the New York Jets might make a play for Patriots receiver Randy Moss.

The net impact could be huge; the Pats would lose a field-stretching difference-maker who helped fuel the greatest offense ever, and the Jets would pair him with college teammate Chad Pennington.

On Friday, Jets G.M. Mike Tannenbaum was asked whether the team is interested in Moss. Here's what Tannenbaum said: "Obviously he did a lot of great things up in New England, [a record] 23 touchdowns. We are going to just keep working our plan here, so let's just see what happens. Right now, we're proceeding with the plan that we have and we'll see what happens."

Hmmm. It's not a yes, it's not a no, and it's not a maybe. It's simply not an answer at all.

Then again, it could be that the Jets simply aren't interested but that they want to make the Pats nervous.

-PFT

-------

Probably just BS to force his price up for the Patsies. But if we can land him, I think we should just hoist up Tanny and Mangini as gods.

Tanny's just playing it smart. He's using a page from the Cheaters book, keep em guessing.:biggrin:

Its actually called good business.

If you cant get something you want, you want to make it as hard as possible for your compettitors to get it. Thats what the Jets are doing with Moss IMO.

Its actually called good business.

If you cant get something you want, you want to make it as hard as possible for your compettitors to get it. Thats what the Jets are doing with Moss IMO.

exactly. Raise the cost of the guy, there is no chance he lands in green and white, but make it tough for the Cheaters to land him.

No worries randy, you always have a home in New York. :biggrin:

exactly. Raise the cost of the guy, there is no chance he lands in green and white, but make it tough for the Cheaters to land him.

I feel bad about your rep, is max going to be fixing it anytime soon? lol

That works for the Herm Edwards of the world. There are one of two possibilities here.

1. The Patriots had a deal in place for Moss before FA even hit.

2. Moss is gone.

I would almost bet that there are no negotiations going on between the two sides right now.

Pat's are definitely between a rock and a hard place..franchise him and you get ****ty attitude Randy..give him a contract he wants and your in "cap space hell" because while he love Brady...Its..SHOW ME THE MONEY. Its his last chance to make a "big score" and coming off the year he had he should get paid. The Pat's are in no mans land here. This is not counting Tommy boy will be unhappy if Randy walks. This is great.

Team, Moss not close to deal

By Mike Reiss and Christopher L. Gasper

Boston Globe Staff / March 1, 2008

Yesterday wasn't quite Black Friday for the Patriots, but it also wasn't an ideal start to free agency. First, the team lost cornerback Asante Samuel to the Eagles, and now it could be poised to lose record-setting wide receiver Randy Moss. The Patriots and Moss still don't have a new deal. According to ESPN, the sides aren't close and Moss is starting to listen to offers from other teams. New England elected not to place the franchise tag on Moss, who in his first season with the Patriots caught 98 passes for a franchise-record 1,493 yards and broke Jerry Rice's NFL record for touchdown receptions in a season with 23.

The $7.84 million wide receiver franchise tag would have kept Moss from becoming a free agent while the sides tried to work out a long-term deal, but also may have alienated Moss, who made $5 million last season, which included $2 million in incentives, after agreeing to reduce his $9.75 million salary as part of the trade that brought him from Oakland.

The 31-year-old Moss said after the Patriots' loss in Super Bowl XLII Feb. 3 he hoped to remain with the team, but was prepared to move on. "If I am in a New England Patriot uniform next year I would love to be in one. If I am not, you know, the show must go on," he said. Yesterday, Moss's agent, Tim DiPiero, responded to an e-mail, writing, "I have no comments on or off the record until whatever happens happens."

Archived