Yankees - Sign Billy Crystal- Ugh

Lil Bit Special

http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080310&content_id=2418084&vkey=spt2008news&fext=.jsp&c_id=nyy

Commissioner Selig approves lifelong fan's one-day contract

By Bryan Hoch / MLB.com

TAMPA, Fla. -- The Yankees are ready to add a touch of Hollywood to their roster, announcing their plans to sign actor and comedian Billy Crystal to a one-day contract during Spring Training.

Crystal will sign the contract and work out with the Yankees at Legends Field on Wednesday, before playing in the club's game on against the Pirates on Thursday.

Commissioner Bud Selig approved the Yankees' extension of a contract to Crystal.

"I've been waiting 50 years for this call," Crystal said. "I'm overwhelmed by the generosity of the Yankees and Commissioner Selig. I know this'll be tougher than the Broadway Softball League, but I'm looking forward to helping the younger players -- by the way, which is all of them."

Crystal, who turns 60 on Friday, will wear uniform No. 60 in the game.

"The Yankees are excited to welcome the newest member of our team, known for his humor and wit, as well as his undying love for the Yankees," said Yankees COO Lonn Trost. "The Yankees are very grateful to the Commissioner's Office for allowing us to extend this special invitation to Mr. Crystal."

Yankees manager Joe Girardi said that he was in favor of the gesture.

"It's kind of exciting," Girardi said. "Billy Crystal has done a lot for this organization. He's always been a big part of it. It's ownership's and our way of rewarding him and saying, 'Thanks for everything that you've done.'"

But it's not all fun and games. If Crystal really wants to suit up and be a member of the team, Girardi said he'll have to do the grunt work, too.

"He's going to have to run after practice, because I don't think Thursday is a scheduled off-day for running," Girardi said.

Crystal, a star of movies, television and Broadway has been a regular presence in the Bronx over the years, enjoying a close friendship with former manager Joe Torre. Crystal has often said in interviews that he has carried one of Mickey Mantle's baseball cards in his wallet for his entire life.

In 2001, Crystal directed and produced the film 61*, which chronicled the historic seasons of Yankees greats Roger Maris and Mantle as they sought to break Babe Ruth's single-season home run record.

The film garnered 12 Emmy nominations, including nods for "Best Director" and "Best Made for Television Movie." It also earned Crystal a prestigious Director's Guild nomination.

Crystal has starred in movies such as Running Scared, Throw Momma from the Train, The Princess Bride, When Harry Met Sally, City Slickers, Mr. Saturday Night, Forget Paris, Hamlet, Deconstructing Harry, Analyze This, Monster's Inc. and America's Sweethearts.

He will not be the first celebrity to don a Major League uniform during Spring Training play. Country music artist Garth Brooks worked out with three big league clubs -- the Padres, Mets and Royals -- beginning in 1998 to raise funds for his Teammates For Kids foundation.

And I thought the Yankee organization had class and didnt resort to hacky gimmicks.

Well, except for John Sterling and the Ground Crew YMCA of course...

He should get beaning for wearing a Mets hat in City Slickers.

What a joke.

So what its a movie a FICTION movie. Whats the big deal about him wearing different caps and jerseys someone as a kid have done it in there life time. I done it wearing a Rams Faulk Jersey a friend let me borrow and a Dan Marino jersey on a bet i lost so its not a big deal.

Billy goes to every yankee game so i dont have to be convice he is a mets fan.

The story behind him wearing the Mets cap in Ciy Slickers was he was getting ready to do that Comic Relief thing with Robin Williams & Whoopie. He had asked the Yankees for a donation, and it was either not as big as he hoped or given with alot of hesitation. Then when he asked the Mets for one they couldn't have been more accomodating, so he decided to "take a jab" at the Yankees and wear the Mets cap.

That is the story I remember reading about the situation a number of years ago. It came up when he was talking about doing the movie *61 I believe.

Either way, what's next? Ben Afleck playing for the Red Sox? Jerry Seinfeld lacing them up in Port St. Lucie? Stay in movies Billy, you don't need the publicity and neither do the Yankees.

So what its a movie a FICTION movie. Whats the big deal about him wearing different caps and jerseys someone as a kid have done it in there life time. I done it wearing a Rams Faulk Jersey a friend let me borrow and a Dan Marino jersey on a bet i lost so its not a big deal.

Billy goes to every yankee game so i dont have to be convice he is a mets fan.

he is a part owner of the Arizona Diamonbacks....shouldn't he be a fan of them now???:dohslap:

As much as I am disgusted by the Crystal "signing"... its still not as bad as the Mets and Garth Brooks.

Or Captain Jet taking the field during Hermies training camp.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I remember Garth Brooks was doing that for charity and I would have no problem with that.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I remember Garth Brooks was doing that for charity and I would have no problem with that.

yes he was, but there are better ways of raising money. Playing in a spring training game is not the best way. Its not allowed in hockey, basketball, football... but baseball somehow its ok.

Maybe a celebrity should be a FG kicker during a preseason game... for charity of course.

He's going to lead off in the DH spot. Johnny Damon will take over later in the game.

This is SO lame. As a Yankees fan, I hate it.

I'm willing to think that if they were going to do this there are yankee fans bigger or more deserving than Billy Crystal.

More proof that Football is FAR SUPERIOR TO BASEBALL. Baseball has become so gimmicky and it's not necessary. Is this an entertainment rebuttal to the steriod scandle? And seriously, is steriods going to stop people from attending games - especially in Yankee Stadiums last year? And do they need to conjur up interest in Tampa? Don't snow birds flock there - pun intended - much like like they migrate to Ft. Myers? And, if Crystal loved and respected the game as much as he claims to, why the mockery? What's next? Spike Lee dresses for a Knicks game? Ben Affleck picthes some relief for the Sox? Billy Crystal parlays his baseball career into a gig on Dancing With The Stars?

:rolleyes:

yes he was, but there are better ways of raising money. Playing in a spring training game is not the best way. Its not allowed in hockey, basketball, football... but baseball somehow its ok.

Maybe a celebrity should be a FG kicker during a preseason game... for charity of course.

I tend to agree. As a Met fan, I don't love the fact Garth Brooks was fooling around in Spring Training games, but I can accept it as it was for charity. Billy Crystal is obviously doing it for self promotion and I am just surprised the great Yankee organization would go along with it.

More proof that Football is FAR SUPERIOR TO BASEBALL. Baseball has become so gimmicky and it's not necessary. Is this an entertainment rebuttal to the steriod scandle? And seriously, is steriods going to stop people from attending games - especially in Yankee Stadiums last year? And do they need to conjur up interest in Tampa? Don't snow birds flock there - pun intended - much like like they migrate to Ft. Myers? And, if Crystal loved and respected the game as much as he claims to, why the mockery? What's next? Spike Lee dresses for a Knicks game? Ben Affleck picthes some relief for the Sox? Billy Crystal parlays his baseball career into a gig on Dancing With The Stars?

football's cheating apparently is far superior to baseball's as well.

Never heard of George Plimpton, huh?

Troy Brown resigns with NE.;)

i got to love the bullsh!t slung around here... all of you whining about billy getting this chance.. like all you diehard yankee fans wouldnt take the chance if you had it. LOL.

i was his at bat, and for a man who was a day short of 60, he took some good swings, and the pitches were clocked at 89 mph.. not exactly softballs.. and it wasnt like this was a playoff game...

this is the same kind of crap that guys say on message boards when someone brings up a beautiful actress and they say "well i wouldnt "hit" it" because she is just isnt very pretty"

yeah right.

:lol:

OY!

Archived