thejetsblog | Jets, Broncos at table again

rick34125

blog updated....Foxworh could still be the player involved in a trade

This is the danger of writing on the web. The immediacy is great but so are the pitfalls.

A post or so ago we reported that Domonique Foxworth is working with the Broncos on a long-term extension, info we got from a source. Well, just got off the phone with someone with far greater knowledge of the situation who said: "Nope."

Turns out the Broncos and the cornerback aren't talking about an extension or a long-term deal.

The good news is that the part about the Jets and Broncos discussing D-Rob is on the mark, and for Jets fans, that's the most important part.

This is the danger of writing on the web. The immediacy is great but so are the pitfalls.

A post or so ago we reported that Domonique Foxworth is working with the Broncos on a long-term extension, info we got from a source. Well, just got off the phone with someone with far greater knowledge of the situation who said: "Nope."

Turns out the Broncos and the cornerback aren't talking about an extension or a long-term deal.

The good news is that the part about the Jets and Broncos discussing D-Rob is on the mark, and for Jets fans, that's the most important part.

Can i get an amen! (a non-dinominational amen of course)

Thanks for the update AFJ. ANYTHING we can get for D'Rob at this point would be a blessing. He is a serviceable DT , an area of need for a lot of teams. I'd hate to just cut him and get zippo in return.

Thanks for the update AFJ. ANYTHING we can get for D'Rob at this point would be a blessing. He is a serviceable DT , an area of need for a lot of teams. I'd hate to just cut him and get zippo in return.

Don't undersell DRob. He's more than just a serviceable DT. Besides he hasn't missed a game in the last 2 years, so the whole knee condition thing although real is a little overblown.

Don't undersell DRob. He's more than just a serviceable DT. Besides he hasn't missed a game in the last 2 years, so the whole knee condition thing although real is a little overblown.

I'm not underselling him. Right now with the Jets indicating that D'Rob will be released I'd take anything for him. Beats getting nothing. If I were hired instead of Mangini I would have stayed with the 4/3 and utilized the talents of Vilma and D'Rob. They both would still be my 08 starters. There's 2 of our recent #1 choices that we virtually will have nothing to show for.

I'm not underselling him. Right now with the Jets indicating that D'Rob will be released I'd take anything for him. Beats getting nothing. If I were hired instead of Mangini I would have stayed with the 4/3 and utilized the talents of Vilma and D'Rob. They both would still be my 08 starters. There's 2 of our recent #1 choices that we virtually will have nothing to show for.

There's no easy way to switch defensvie alignments. Some make an immediate overhaul others try to ease into it over a few years. It probably depends on the personnel and what's trying to be accomplished. Mangini was going to make the switch from the 43 to the 34 one way or another. He gave the existing talent a chance to adapt for 2 years. At that point what's the difference? New players are being added every year. Do you add them to a 43 or a 34? Unfortunately, the transition didn't go so smoothly, but at this point I don't think holding on to a couple of players who fit the old scheme has any advantage, even if they're talented.

As far as our 2 1st rounders losing value, that has more to do with their injuries then their not fitting the scheme. I wish them both well, but who knows their best years might be behind them anyway.

Everyone talks about some team trading up with us for a shot at picking up a player at #6. Which team is this? Who is going to break their draft bank on a player at #6, which would command at least 2 1st round picks if not another late rounder. And which player in this year's draft would be worth the reach? I don't even think Mcfadden would be worth it.

Of course everyone dreams of finding a sucker to do business with, but let's be realistic.

Normally I would agree with you. Few teams trade up into the top 10 anymore, just to expensive in draft picks.

This is a year the draft value chart just doesn't apply. The talent through out the first round is fairly level. Couple that withthe fact that a lot of the people that might be available at 6 just don't fit the Jets.

If Cincy wanted to trade up to get one of the DT's, if I were Tangini I would trade the pick for less then what the "draft value chart" indicates. It is obsolete in today's trading world, and I think for the Jets right now just getting out of 6 is a plus.

per PFT:

ROBERTSON’S KNEES CAUSE CONCERN

Posted by Mike Florio on March 14, 2008, 8:50 a.m.

As the New York Jets continue to try to unload trade (we love these new blog tools that our previous 18th Century production system didn’t allow) defensive tackle Dewayne Robertson, word is getting around that one of the big concerns with Robertson is the condition of his knees.

Adam Schefter of NFL Network reports that two teams think that Robertson would be undraftable in 2008 due to his knees. So who, then, would give up a draft pick or two for him?

There’s also a concern that Robertson might have only one year left, due to his knee problems.

Still, Schefter points out that Robertson has started every game for the past two years, and has played in every game in four of his five seasons in the league.

Thus, the Jets will continue to try to shop him. But a deal needs to be done fairly soon. On June 3, Robertson is due to receive a $3 million roster bonus. So if the Jets can’t trade him, they’ll most likely cut him.

The Denver Broncos remain in the hunt for Robertson. Given the team’s screwy moves regarding defensive linemen over the years, it really isn’t a surprise.

It amazes me that Bradway knew about DRob's knee when he was ripped off in the trade to get him. Boggles my *****in' mind, really.

Denver still wants D-Rob

Despite a report from the NFL Network this week that said Dewayne Robertson's knee issues would probably preclude him from being drafted if he were coming out this season and speculated that he could have only one or two years left in his career, the Broncos remain interested in acquiring the defensive tackle from the Jets. This according to our old buddy who you may know as A League Source.

Apparently the Jets and Broncs have been working on a deal that would send D-Rob to Denver and have the teams swap fourth-round picks this year. The Jets would also receive a conditional pick (probably a 3rd rounder in 2009 if Robertson hits certain playing time and performance requirements). The Broncos are also taking steps to get Robertson a new contract.

The talks have stopped for the weekend, but will probably pick up on Monday. That's the day the Jets players are expected to show up for their offseason program. List Robertson as "doubtful" for that.

Posted by Tom Rock on March 15, 2008 8:37 PM | Permalink

Denver still wants D-Rob

Despite a report from the NFL Network this week that said Dewayne Robertson's knee issues would probably preclude him from being drafted if he were coming out this season and speculated that he could have only one or two years left in his career, the Broncos remain interested in acquiring the defensive tackle from the Jets. This according to our old buddy who you may know as A League Source.

Apparently the Jets and Broncs have been working on a deal that would send D-Rob to Denver and have the teams swap fourth-round picks this year. The Jets would also receive a conditional pick (probably a 3rd rounder in 2009 if Robertson hits certain playing time and performance requirements). The Broncos are also taking steps to get Robertson a new contract.

The talks have stopped for the weekend, but will probably pick up on Monday. That's the day the Jets players are expected to show up for their offseason program. List Robertson as "doubtful" for that.

Posted by Tom Rock on March 15, 2008 8:37 PM | Permalink

LOL. Value of a mid-7th rounder is the only guaranteed compensation for this clown. Two firsts, a fourth, and tens of millions of dollars in much-needed cap space. And no one will give up more than a guaranteed mid-7th round pick while he's not injured & has started just about every game since he was drafted (including the past 33 in a row).

LOL. Value of a mid-7th rounder is the only guaranteed compensation for this clown. Two firsts, a fourth, and tens of millions of dollars in much-needed cap space. And no one will give up more than a guaranteed mid-7th round pick while he's not injured & has started just about every game since he was drafted (including the past 33 in a row).

According to Tom Rock's source this year the Jets are actually exchanging a better 4th round pick to unload DRob. :-s

Wait - we're using our HIGH 4th rounder & trading DOWN???

Are you forgetting that we have two 4th round picks? Perhaps the trade would be trading the lower 4th round pick (109th) with Denver's higher 4th round pick (104th I believe) . If my numbers are correct we get to move up 5 whole spots IN THE 4TH ROUND. Woopee !!! :roll:

No I meant it as a question. But aren't both our 4th rounders higher than Denver's?

Denver's pick is sandwiched between our two.

We pick 98th (or original pick) and 109th (from New Orleans).

Denver picks 104th.

Truth is, it makes little sense for either side to even be negotiating the "value" of a move of like 5-6 slots - in the 4th round no less - over a month before the draft.

Doubt it will affect either of our drafts, but it still seems weird that we would "give" anything for a team to take our player. If DRob doesn't meet incentives & we don't get a pick the following year, then technically we would have received more by releasing him to the FA pool than trading him to Denver.

Right now we have nothing for him. And we're potentially making a trade for LESS than nothing?

Denver's pick is sandwiched between our two.

We pick 98th (or original pick) and 109th (from New Orleans).

Denver picks 104th.

Truth is, it makes little sense for either side to even be negotiating the "value" of a move of like 5-6 slots - in the 4th round no less - over a month before the draft.

Doubt it will affect either of our drafts, but it still seems weird that we would "give" anything for a team to take our player. If DRob doesn't meet incentives & we don't get a pick the following year, then technically we would have received more by releasing him to the FA pool than trading him to Denver.

Right now we have nothing for him. And we're potentially making a trade for LESS than nothing?

I don't think we're going to do that at all. How/why would we trade our 98th AND D'ROB for Denver's 104th. We're still more than a month away from the draft but indeed if this rumour is true, like I said we might be discussing trading our 109th pick for Denver's 104th .

I don't think we're going to do that at all. How/why would we trade our 98th AND D'ROB for Denver's 104th. We're still more than a month away from the draft but indeed if this rumour is true, like I said we might be discussing trading our 109th pick for Denver's 104th .

This is a trade? Moving up 5 slots in round 4 like 5-6 weeks before the draft?

Seems pretty stupid given all the effort that went into it. Hardly seems worth our GM's time.

This is a trade? Moving up 5 slots in round 4 like 5-6 weeks before the draft?

Seems pretty stupid given all the effort that went into it. Hardly seems worth our GM's time.

That's what I said in an earlier post. Whoopee ! 5 whole spots IN THE 4TH ROUND. There's GOT to be more to it because you're right it's not worth all this time our GM has put into dealing D'Rob.

Anything could happen, but a swap of 4ths just makes so little sense. I'm hoping it's the Jets' 4th for Denver's 3rd, maybe? That's a little more palatable.

The 2009 draft is starting to shape up nicely with picks coming for Kendall, probably Vilma, and maybe DRob. Could be two off season championships in a row.

Anything could happen, but a swap of 4ths just makes so little sense. I'm hoping it's the Jets' 4th for Denver's 3rd, maybe? That's a little more palatable.

The 2009 draft is starting to shape up nicely with picks coming for Kendall, probably Vilma, and maybe DRob. Could be two off season championships in a row.

Actually it kind of does make sense.

this is purely speculative of course, but lets assume it goes like this.

The exchange of 4th's is just to give Denver exclusive rights to talk to D-Rob from now till June 1st. If they don't reach an agreement, he is released, and becomes a FA. If they reach an agreement the Jets are awarded Denver's 4th round pick next season, if they reach an agreement, and he starts X amount of games they receive Denver's 3rd next year. Just guessing of course, but that kind of deal seems to make sense for everyone involved.

3 weeks ago you were talking about getting a top 40 pick,,,,

Now we will be lucky to get an Easter basket for this POS

Maybe Shanahan will throw in some Green Peeps...Sold

Pretty F'n sad for a top 4 pick.

Actually it kind of does make sense.

this is purely speculative of course, but lets assume it goes like this.

The exchange of 4th's is just to give Denver exclusive rights to talk to D-Rob from now till June 1st.

I hear you, I just think it's a joke. A bad one.

we would obviously also receive a conditional pick next year. c'mon people.

I recognize that, but I'm not holding my breath at this point for anything of value in '09, either.

3 weeks ago you were talking about getting a top 40 pick,,,,

Now we will be lucky to get an Easter basket for this POS

Maybe Shanahan will throw in some Green Peeps...Sold

Pretty F'n sad for a top 4 pick.

Oh I never thought we'd get anything near that high. I responded to a rumor once, when someone posted that the Jets were seeking a low first or high second for DRob. I believe I said I would repeatedly wet myself if that happened. If I thought it likely to happen, I would have made a less disgusting promise.

;)

Oh I never thought we'd get anything near that high. I responded to a rumor once, when someone posted that the Jets were seeking a low first or high second for DRob. I believe I said I would repeatedly wet myself if that happened. If I thought it likely to happen, I would have made a less disgusting promise.

;)

Yes, but you still would have wet yourself. Promise or no.

Archived