An option nobody is talking about

GIJet

Cincinatti and New Orleans are in two very similar situations.. Both are going to pick Sedrick Ellis if he is there, and they pick back to back..

As a result New Orleans may be a potential trading partner.

There is still good value at 10, and we could also squeeze them for their 3rd and 5th rounder(we own their 4th rounder for Vilma) according to the value chart.. If they dont want to hand us 3 draft picks we could always settle for a 3rd this year and a 3rd next year..

I know many will think i'm nuts with this selection, but I wouldn't mind picking Brandon Albert or Ryan Clady at 10..

I've never really been sold on Brandon Moore and definitely think he can be upgraded.

If we select Clady I would assume that Woody would move back to guard, and if we select Albert I would assume that Wood would remain at right tackle.. Right now I would lean towards Albert due to his versatility.

Would you guys be upset with a draft like this?

1. Brandon Albert

2. James Hardy- How is he not a top 10 pick? He was awesome in college, is 6'7, and ran a 4.4

3. Andre Woodson- developmental QB prospect... could be a bad idea, but the guy was a consensus top 5 pick preseason...

4. Kendall Langford-solid Dline prospect

4. Jonathan Goff- Solid ILB

5. Erza Butler- I think this guy would be perfect.. played 3-4 ILB in college...

5. Tashard Choice- Could be a good pro back

6. Kellen Davis- TE from MSU

7. Dorien Bryant- Another guy who I think should be a top pick

I'd love Hardy and Goff, but taking a guard top ten is just absurd to me.

Albert's a decent pick at 10 though I think he's valued at around 20. He'll play OT in the NFL and WILL excell at it. I'd love to have Albert at RT next year instead of Woody $$. Albert's gonna be a monster pro , mark it down.

Cincinatti and New Orleans are in two very similar situations.. Both are going to pick Sedrick Ellis if he is there, and they pick back to back..

There is still good value at 10, and we could also squeeze them for their 3rd and 5th rounder(we own their 4th rounder for Vilma) according to the value chart.. If they dont want to hand us 3 draft picks we could always settle for a 3rd this year and a 3rd next year..

I know many will think i'm nuts with this selection, but I wouldn't mind picking Brandon Albert or Ryan Clady at 10..

I've never really been sold on Brandon Moore and definitely think he can be upgraded.

If we select Clady I would assume that Woody would move back to guard, and if we select Albert I would assume that Wood would remain at right tackle.. Right now I would lean towards Albert due to his versatility.

1. Brandon Albert

2. James Hardy- How is he not a top 10 pick? He was awesome in college, is 6'7, and ran a 4.4

3. Andre Woodson- developmental QB prospect... could be a bad idea, but the guy was a consensus top 5 pick preseason...

5. Erza Butler- I think this guy would be perfect.. played 3-4 ILB in college...

Very nice post and a scenario that I can see happening very easily. The only thing that scares me is Woody at RG. From everything I've heard and read Woody absolutely sucked the giant one at RG for Detroit last year. The Jets FO was impressed with Woody at RT the last few games of the year when the Lions moved him. I hope to hell they're right as it cost us a lot of $$. I agree with you too that Brandon Albert would be a HUGE addition to the Jets OL .

1. Brandon Albert

I don't know anything about Albert. I like picking Hardy, and I like the Woodson pick too. Woodson is about the only QB I'd pick in this year's draft. He may fall further than the 3rd though.

I don't know anything about Albert. I like picking Hardy, and I like the Woodson pick too. Woodson is about the only QB I'd pick in this year's draft. He may fall further than the 3rd though.

I watched Woodsons Senior Bowl practices and he was dreadful. His accuracy was waaaay off which at the next level is a death sentence. I'm still working my way thu the actual Senior Bowl game tapes and haven't seen him perform yet.

Very nice post and a scenario that I can see happening very easily. The only thing that scares me is Woody at RG. From everything I've heard and read Woody absolutely sucked the giant one at RG for Detroit last year. The Jets FO was impressed with Woody at RT the last few games of the year when the Lions moved him. I hope to hell they're right as it cost us a lot of $$. I agree with you too that Brandon Albert would be a HUGE addition to the Jets OL .

I don't know that Woody had some magical skill at RT that was dormant at RG. RT I think is a harder position. More likely he just played better after he was benched.

1. Brandon Albert

Good post. But trading down to 9/10 is definitely NOT something that has NOT been talked about here :)

I love Kendall Langford - I think DE is an important need for the Jets - and would take him in the third round (if we can get a third round pick).

Hardy is not a top 10 pick because he will struggle to adjust to the physical life of an NFL WR.

1. Brandon Albert

I believe NO can not deal their 3rd next yr. They could owe it to us, conditional on Vilma. I believe that locks it in.

Hardy not in the top 10? Easy. He's a workout warrior. I'd like to get him but you have to do something on the football field FIRST.

1. Brandon Albert

I would like this draft very much. Albert would make a big impact on the right side. I'm not sold on Moore or Woody. Also, in a couple of years he could eventually replace Faneca. Overall, I like the rest of the picks especially Hardy, Langford and Goff. I'm not sure Butler fits. Thought he projects to OLB in NFL. Also, Butler and Davis had some character concerns and can't see Tangini straying too far from the Boy Scout theme yet. Still, its great value if they were there for us. Just don't see them making the picks. Great post!

1. Brandon Albert

If the jets draft Albert they will have the most expensive line in football history cluttered with round 1 picks. I like it but don't see it happening.

If the jets were to trade into the 9-10 slot i see them taking from 2 positions OLB, and CB. whether it be Derrick Harvey, Mike Jenkins, Dominique Rogers Cromartie, or Leodis McKelvin.

and well maybe a wild card in WR Devin Thomas

If the jets draft Albert they will have the most expensive line in football history cluttered with round 1 picks. I like it but don't see it happening.

If the jets were to trade into the 9-10 slot i see them taking from 2 positions OLB, and CB. whether it be Derrick Harvey, Mike Jenkins, Dominique Rogers Cromartie, or Leodis McKelvin.

and well maybe a wild card in WR Devin Thomas

Trade down. Take Harvey or Rivers.

Second round WR or DE. It would be nice to be talented and deep in the defensive front seven. Some combo of Miller, Barrett, Coleman, Poteat and a mid level draft choice ought to be able to handle CB opposite Revis.

I mean I think that Albert is actually going to be a very dominant player in the NFL. But at our position #6, and even the #10 sport that your scenario projects, to draft what is considered to be not even necesarily the top 2 Lineman in this year's Draft (Long, Clady most people think, and I agree) is just kinda crazy. Also you would have to pay an Offensive Lineman a #10 Pick Salary for a non-impact player that doesnt even touch the ball. I just don't think that at the moment with what we have done in the offseason that our 1st pick even if we did trade down to 20 or whatever would be an Offensive Lineman. One of three position combinations will be drafted this year, WR, CB and OLB/DE. If DMC is there at #6 Tangini will have to pull the trigger on him and I think they're even comfortable with his off the field problems, comfortable enough to play him on the field where it counts. In my estimation DMC will go to either the Atlanta Falcons or the Oakland Raiders, I can't see either of those GM/Presidents passing on this guy's talent. Therefore, the NY Jets will wind up selecting Vernon Gholston and then either Joe Flacco/Brandon Flowers/James Hardy with our Rd. 2 Pick. THen depending on that and any trades that we will make (ahem...Chad P. to Kansas City on Draft Day), we will then draft the remaining positions between CB/WR/QB(provided Chad is traded on Draft Day)

Personal Predictions:

Vernon Gholston - OLB/DE

Joe Flacco - QB*/James Hardy - WR* (whichever is available with our 2nd Pick)

(Possible 3rd Rounder for Possible Draft Day Trade - Antoine Cason - CB/S)

Cliff Avril - 4th Round (I'm not really sure, is this too low for Avril)

Noteable Players:

Shawn Crable - OLB

Jerod Mayo - ILB

Brandon Flowers

Barry Richardson - OT/OG (BEAST)

I don't know that Woody had some magical skill at RT that was dormant at RG. RT I think is a harder position. More likely he just played better after he was benched.

Good point that I haven't heard mentioned before. I remember reading when Woody left the Pats that he needs someone riding him to play well.

I mean I think that Albert is actually going to be a very dominant player in the NFL. But at our position #6, and even the #10 sport that your scenario projects, to draft what is considered to be not even necesarily the top 2 Lineman in this year's Draft (Long, Clady most people think, and I agree) is just kinda crazy. Also you would have to pay an Offensive Lineman a #10 Pick Salary for a non-impact player that doesnt even touch the ball. I just don't think that at the moment with what we have done in the offseason that our 1st pick even if we did trade down to 20 or whatever would be an Offensive Lineman. One of three position combinations will be drafted this year, WR, CB and OLB/DE. If DMC is there at #6 Tangini will have to pull the trigger on him and I think they're even comfortable with his off the field problems, comfortable enough to play him on the field where it counts. In my estimation DMC will go to either the Atlanta Falcons or the Oakland Raiders, I can't see either of those GM/Presidents passing on this guy's talent. Therefore, the NY Jets will wind up selecting Vernon Gholston and then either Joe Flacco/Brandon Flowers/James Hardy with our Rd. 2 Pick. THen depending on that and any trades that we will make (ahem...Chad P. to Kansas City on Draft Day), we will then draft the remaining positions between CB/WR/QB(provided Chad is traded on Draft Day)

Personal Predictions:

Vernon Gholston - OLB/DE

Noteable Players:

Shawn Crable - OLB

Jerod Mayo - ILB

Brandon Flowers

I don't know how anyone could possibly see Flacco as an option for us. Most scouts and analysts agree the guy has immense potential talent, but that he will need at least 3 years in the NFL before he's ready to take on a starting role. Assuming our current situation fails us, we would have to endure Pennington (completely impossible given that it would mean we live out his contract) or Clemens (who obviously wouldn't be much of an option if we are drafting a guy to replace him in 3 years) during Flacco's learning period. It just doesn't make an ounce of sense. Flacco would be better served in places like CAR (where he could backup Delhomme until Delhomme retires) or similar situations where the is a veteran who projects to retire in the next 3 years or so.

1. Brandon Albert

Those are the only pics of yours I like. I'd much rather do the the 'Boys trade.

Personal Predictions:

Vernon Gholston - OLB/DE

Noteable Players:

Shawn Crable - OLB

Jerod Mayo - ILB

Brandon Flowers

I agree that Albert would be a nice pickup, but top 10 is pretty early. I'm pretty sure that the Jets like Cason, but in the third? He might make it out of the first round, but does anybody really expect him to drop to the third? I wouldn't be surprised (or unhappy) if we took him in the second and would probably prefer him to Flowers

Hardy not in the top 10? Easy. He's a workout warrior. I'd like to get him but you have to do something on the football field FIRST.

You mean, like, catch 14 TDs last year?

Because he did that.

Guess he needs 20 to impress you.

Thai Jet

I watched Woodsons Senior Bowl practices and he was dreadful. His accuracy was waaaay off which at the next level is a death sentence. I'm still working my way thu the actual Senior Bowl game tapes and haven't seen him perform yet.

you should get a hobby and a chick man....

I believe NO can not deal their 3rd next yr. They could owe it to us, conditional on Vilma. I believe that locks it in.

Huh???

James Hardy has been the best WR in the big 10 since his freshman year...

Trust me.. I watch a lot of big 10 football, and James Hardy IS Plaxico Burress...(at least he was in college)

He is falling because he plays at Indiana which is a perennial bottom feeder.. Hardy still put up some pretty gaudy numbers playing with some below par QB's his first two years...

During his freshman year Blake Powers was the QB... Yea thats right.... who is Blake Powers?

During his 2nd year he had a sophomore Kellen Lewis starting whom is extremley talented but wasn't a great passer in his first year starting... more of a runner..

His 3rd year was the only year he played with a legit QB (Kellen Lewis) who improved upon his passing...

Again I don't understand how Devin Thomas is considered a better prospect than James Hardy....

I don't know how anyone could possibly see Flacco as an option for us. Most scouts and analysts agree the guy has immense potential talent, but that he will need at least 3 years in the NFL before he's ready to take on a starting role. Assuming our current situation fails us, we would have to endure Pennington (completely impossible given that it would mean we live out his contract) or Clemens (who obviously wouldn't be much of an option if we are drafting a guy to replace him in 3 years) during Flacco's learning period. It just doesn't make an ounce of sense. Flacco would be better served in places like CAR (where he could backup Delhomme until Delhomme retires) or similar situations where the is a veteran who projects to retire in the next 3 years or so.

Flacco would be better served???...I don't care how Flacco would be better served, I care about how the Jets will be better served and I believe that Joe Flacco will be a name you will here from this Draft Class that will win a Super Bowl one day. Now you'll bash me for even conjuring up this idea, but He has all the tools and the makings of a solid and even a franchise quarterback. 6'6" 230 lbs. He threw for 4,200 yds. this past year, (granted a knock against him is the level of competition he played in College...and How I can even debate this is irrelevant because I can't, no he did not play the Ohio States, the Floridas or LSUs...so basically this is the only knock, and a relatively significant one at that I admit) But the ceiling on this kid, from every scout there is that has and is covering this draft, is remarkably high. I think he will rival the QB from that team from New England someday. Honestly if you look at my first post, you'd see that i proposed Flacco as an option for our 2nd Rd. if you cannot see how anyone is an option in our 2nd Rd. than you are mistaken. Everyone is on the board, you nor I will ever know who is really on the Big Board til they are taken by the Jets.

I'd still let Kellen Clemens hand the ball to T.Jones 25-30 times a game (and even DMC if he is avail., but I don't think he will be) behind our new O-Line for the next year, while we trade Chad P. on Draft Day for a 3rd Rounder. I honestly can say that I would not be upset with the Jets if they drafted Joe Flacco with their #36 Pick, because I don't think anyone can say that our QB situation is safe, unless we legitimately (as I hope will happen) let Kellen just hand the ball to T.Jones and Screen it to Leon. If we have any ability to run the football, that opens so much in our passing game through play action (I don't care if Chad is better than Kellen at executing it, HE STILL HAS TO THROW THE BALL FURTHER THAN THE 8 YD. HOOK PATTERNS WE ALWAYS HAVE TO RUN WHEN HE IS IN THERE. I mean I don't see how no one else can see this, I would (I even remember one instance specifically, the play during the jets/giants game) be able to ACTUALLY PREDICT CHAD'S INTERCEPTIONS!!!!! My god, anyone who knows he can't go over the top with his lack of arm strength knows to sit on the Out Routes and Hook Routes and Zone up in the Crossing Routes. I mean to specifically have a gameplan not to stretch the field for fear of Interceptions is absolutely absurd, and with a 9 YEAR VETERAN!!!!??? is just ridiculous. I don't care if Kellen throws more interceptions, but let him at least try to play [Especially now with this O-Line] to see if in fact he really can produce with the right protection [because im suprised that with the atrocity that was our O-Line last year, Kellen isn't actually dead]. Let him Try, because you honestly don't know what he is capable of, I can honestly say I know what Chad has brought to the table over his 9 yr. career (30-32 Record, inconsistency, short-vanilla passing patterns for receivers that are #3's on any other team with the exception of Coles being a #2, TONS OF SHOULDER INJURIES and let's friggin face it, HE'S NOT GOING TO SUDDENLY WAKE UP AND THROW THE BALL HARDER THAN MY MOM...Tangini, HEAR THIS!! IT MUST BE KELLEN!!!

Huh???

James Hardy has been the best WR in the big 10 since his freshman year...

Trust me.. I watch a lot of big 10 football, and James Hardy IS Plaxico Burress...(at least he was in college)

He is falling because he plays at Indiana which is a perennial bottom feeder.. Hardy still put up some pretty gaudy numbers playing with some below par QB's his first two years...

During his freshman year Blake Powers was the QB... Yea thats right.... who is Blake Powers?

During his 2nd year he had a sophomore Kellen Lewis starting whom is extremley talented but wasn't a great passer in his first year starting... more of a runner..

His 3rd year was the only year he played with a legit QB (Kellen Lewis) who improved upon his passing...

Again I don't understand how Devin Thomas is considered a better prospect than James Hardy....

I saw a little film of him. He actually catches the ball with his hands, away from his body. I like that. Looks sure handed. Is he dumb? Is he intimidatable? The CS ought to know this stuff.

Archived