Gholston NOT going to STL????

NOExcusesNYJ

Peter King says one thing he "knows to be true" is that the Rams don't want Vernon Gholston.

Gholston seems unlikely to go the Falcons, so that would likely leave the Raiders with a choice of Gholston, Chris Long, and/or or Darren McFadden with the fourth overall pick.

per rotoworld

Miami is having contract talks with Gholston and Ireland already slipped in saying the #1 pick would be a cornerstone of the DEFENSE for years to come. My bet is Miami pulls the trigger on Gholston.

"Here's the problem with mock drafts: I had my top 13 done Sunday morning. I was pretty happy with it. (The way I look at it is after the top 10 or 12, predicting the draft is fruitless anyway, like picking the Trifecta at a dog track, so I concentrate on trying to be remotely competent at the top.) But after talking to two teams' final-deciders in a 20-minute span, I decided that everything I knew was blown to smithereens. If Jake Long signs with Miami, every one of the smart guys on the planet is screwed.

This is the most fluid draft at the top since 2004, when the Manning-Rivers stuff was swirling. So before I give you my first-round picks, understand the following things that I know to be true this morning make this draft hard to predict:

• Miami has a real chance of getting Jake Long signed as the No. 1 pick.

• St. Louis doesn't want Vernon Gholston; so if Long does go to Miami, Gholston could slide.

• This one really surprises me, and at first I didn't think it was true, but New Orleans is serious about trading into the top four -- preferably for LSU defensive tackle Glenn Dorsey but not only for Dorsey. Wish I could tell you the other apple of their eye, but I don't know who he is.

• I have been saying Dorsey to Atlanta for a month. I heard two things this weekend that are shifting me northward, to Matt Ryan.

The Jets love Matt Ryan. If I were Kellen Clemens, that would be a worrisome thing.

• If Ryan is sitting there at six or seven, I expect Detroit, Carolina and Chicago to inquire about trading up.

• The hot name as we enter the final five pre-draft days? Michigan quarterback Chad Henne. Two scouts I trust told me over the weekend they like him better than they like Ryan. There's a team somewhere between 8 and 17 -- and I can't figure out which one -- interested in trading down a few slots and drafting Henne with a first-round pick.

• The Saints and Jeremy Shockey's rookie-year offensive coordinator, Sean Payton, are still hot for the tight end. It won't get done if the Giants insist on receiving in-his-prime, 25-year-old safety Roman Harper (a 2006 second-round pick), plus the 40th pick in the draft. Harper's the best player in New Orleans' secondary, and to trade him and a second-round pick for an injury-plagued tight end who will be 28 on opening day is not an equitable deal. If the Giants want, say, Harper and a sixth-round pick for Shockey, or a second- and sixth-rounder for him, then I could see the trade getting done.

What follows is my best guess about the how the first round will go. Operative words here: "best guess."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/peter_king/04/20/mmqb/index.html?eref=T1

Peter King's mock is so ridiculous and was only done to suggest his Pats could get Gholston. I think Gholston is going number 1 to the Dolphins. If they do select Jake Long at number 1, there is a chance that Chris Long or Gholston could slide to us. Expect the Pats to make a strong run at number 5 in order to jump over us and take one of them in front.

The Jets have been talking with McFadden and Branden Albert as decoys to keep the Chiefs from moving and from having the Pats thinking that they have to move up.

Well if the Rams aren't interested in Gholston then the raiders won't get a shot at long, because that means they are likely to take either Long

I think Dorsey is definitely a possibility to go To St. Louis

1.Jake Long/Glen Dorsey

2.Glen Dorsey/Chris Long

3.Matt Ryan/DMC

4.DMC/Chris Long

5.Trade Down/Chris Long/Branden Albert

6.Chris Long/Vernon Gholston/Trade Down

7. Trade Up/Vernon Gholston/Leodis McKelvin/Trade Down

Those I think are the scenarios, of course it's all dependent on Jake Long being taken first, but I think that's where the Tuna see his foundation beginning...the Quarterback's Blind-side or the 3-4 Defensive Tackle he covets. 2nd names after slashes are other possibilities.

Miami is having contract talks with Gholston and Ireland already slipped in saying the #1 pick would be a cornerstone of the DEFENSE for years to come. My bet is Miami pulls the trigger on Gholston.

And you'd have lost money. Tuna knows how to build smokescreens better than anyone in the league. Gholston I don't think is even a possibility til Pick No. 5, and only on the condition that the Pats try and trade with K.C. to move in and swap him away from the Jets.

St. Louis is going to go Glen Dorsey or Chris Long

Atlanta has to go Matt Ryan or whoever is not picked at #2 (Dorsey will be gone, IMO)

Oakland will pick either DMC or Chris Long

K.C. will pick either Branden Albert/Ryan Clady/Trade

N.Y. [iMO] will be able to have a shot at Chris Long, Vernon Gholston or DMC

Personally, I did not expect to have a shot at Chris Long while the experts believed he would be chosen first by the Tuna. If the N.Y. Jets were to have a choice between 2 of the 3 players I listed above, I'd be ecstatic and not know which direction I want the FO and Mangenius to go in, b/c there's such good arguments for both additions on both sides of the ball. I honestly would be happy with any of those 3 choices. For my personal preference if Chris Long is there, I think he'd look great off the edge as our R-DE, I'd honestly love to see Gholston run all over the field as an OLB with a young ILB in David Harris, opposite newly-acquired Calvin Pace. But, I know this for a fact, if the Jets select Darren McFadden, I feel that he has the highest bust rating out of the 3. His illegitimate children, his fights at clubs are just something that the Jets do not take exceptions to when making a choice in any draft, especially at one so high as #6. That's why I really pray to god that Oakland picks DMC at #4 and gets him out of the way for us, that way we really would have a legit shot at Dorsey/Long/Gholston.

I've asked this before and basically got responses that indicated he would not be there at #6. But I really am not so certain that St. Louis won't pick Chris Long. So...what do the Jets do if Dorsey is there at #6??? Trade to Baltimore?? Trade to Cincinnatti?

And you'd have lost money. Tuna knows how to build smokescreens better than anyone in the league. Gholston I don't think is even a possibility til Pick No. 5, and only on the condition that the Pats try and trade with K.C. to move in and swap him away from the Jets.

St. Louis is going to go Glen Dorsey or Chris Long

Atlanta has to go Matt Ryan or whoever is not picked at #2 (Dorsey will be gone, IMO)

Oakland will pick either DMC or Chris Long

K.C. will pick either Branden Albert/Ryan Clady/Trade

N.Y. [iMO] will be able to have a shot at Chris Long, Vernon Gholston or DMC

Personally, I did not expect to have a shot at Chris Long while the experts believed he would be chosen first by the Tuna. If the N.Y. Jets were to have a choice between 2 of the 3 players I listed above, I'd be ecstatic and not know which direction I want the FO and Mangenius to go in, b/c there's such good arguments for both additions on both sides of the ball. I honestly would be happy with any of those 3 choices. For my personal preference if Chris Long is there, I think he'd look great off the edge as our R-DE, I'd honestly love to see Gholston run all over the field as an OLB with a young ILB in David Harris, opposite newly-acquired Calvin Pace. But, I know this for a fact, if the Jets select Darren McFadden, I feel that he has the highest bust rating out of the 3. His illegitimate children, his fights at clubs are just something that the Jets do not take exceptions to when making a choice in any draft, especially at one so high as #6. That's why I really pray to god that Oakland picks DMC at #4 and gets him out of the way for us, that way we really would have a legit shot at Dorsey/Long/Gholston.

I've asked this before and basically got responses that indicated he would not be there at #6. But I really am not so certain that St. Louis won't pick Chris Long. So...what do the Jets do if Dorsey is there at #6??? Trade to Baltimore?? Trade to Cincinnatti?

Your mock sounds like mine with the Rams taking Dorsey, Atlanta - Ryan, Oakland will NOT take Chris Long under any circumstances. So let's pencil in DMC there. KC will go O line. That leaves the Jets with the chance for Chris Long or Gholston.

Your mock sounds like mine with the Rams taking Dorsey, Atlanta - Ryan, Oakland will NOT take Chris Long under any circumstances. So let's pencil in DMC there. KC will go O line. That leaves the Jets with the chance for Chris Long or Gholston.

My friend, I thought I was the only one that would see how it could break down, but obviously not. I must admit that is not how I thought it would have been able to play out with Chris Long being in the conversation. I really honestly, can say I'd rather take Chris Long who might feel he has to live up to something than a guy who is speculated to have taken off plays at Ohio State. I really like Gholston, but I am honestly shaky on whether or not he could be a bust. Now that I know he'll be going to N.E. I pray that the Football Gods mark him as biggest Bust of all time, but let's face he's still a top 7 talented player in this year's Draft. I hope we get a player that the fans will finally be satisfied with and two days of wondrous smart, sometimes bold and Clutch picks this year.

GOOOOOO J-E-T-S JETS JETS JETS!!!!!

My friend, I thought I was the only one that would see how it could break down, but obviously not. I must admit that is not how I thought it would have been able to play out with Chris Long being in the conversation. I really honestly, can say I'd rather take Chris Long who might feel he has to live up to something than a guy who is speculated to have taken off plays at Ohio State. I really like Gholston, but I am honestly shaky on whether or not he could be a bust. Now that I know he'll be going to N.E. I pray that the Football Gods mark him as biggest Bust of all time, but let's face he's still a top 7 talented player in this year's Draft. I hope we get a player that the fans will finally be satisfied with and two days of wondrous smart, sometimes bold and Clutch picks this year.

GOOOOOO J-E-T-S JETS JETS JETS!!!!!

with Allen gone, KC is gonna go d-end if one is there

Agreed Dom. There is simply no chance that both Gholston & Long are there at six. No chance at all. Oakland does not let Long slip by at 4 knowing that both Kansas City and the Jets, two teams Al Davis hates, would be chomping at the bit for Long.

Most likely the Jets will be deciding between either one of them and McFadden or Ryan and McFadden or Ryan and one of them.

Agreed Dom. There is simply no chance that both Gholston & Long are there at six. No chance at all. Oakland does not let Long slip by at 4 knowing that both Kansas City and the Jets, two teams Al Davis hates, would be chomping at the bit for Long.

Most likely the Jets will be deciding between either one of them and McFadden or Ryan and McFadden or Ryan and one of them.

I mean doesnt ever team between 5-8 comp at the bit for a player originally projected to go #1 or #2.

I also don't understand, not from your Post, but maybe Dom's, how you can't see ANY chance that Long and Gholston are there. You'd be suprised how much teams get scared of the word(s) "bust" or "takes plays off". Gholston undoubtedly will be there, anything otherwise that you have heard, is a definite smoke screen. No one is interested in Gholston before us, I CAN GUARANTEE THAT...I mean look at the teams for God's SAKES, and what they've gone through...

#2. St. Louis - One of the weakest Defensive and Offensive Lines in the NFL, and they drafted Adam Carriker Last year!!! They need a DT....So what does that mean folks....GLEN DORSEY.

#3. Atlanta - Were you awake during Vick's Ordeal, they need a franchise and yes I'm gonna say it....a WHITE HERALDED ALL-AMERICAN QB...So what does that mean folks....MATT RYAN. [P.S. I am not a racist lol, i think its the best FRANCHISE decision they can make.

#4. Oakland - If you are really going to sit there and believe that if DMC is on the board, and Al Davis won't go ahead and supercede, publicly this time, his head coach to PICK YOUNG DMC.

#5. (So we come down to it) - Basically I believe that drafting a franchise OL is more a pressing need b/c of who their QB is a younggg Brody Croyle, than DE with Chris Long. Mainly because Philip Merling will be available at the 17th Pick as the 2nd/3rd Top DE. SO WHAT DOES THAT MEAN....Branden Albert

#6. Gholston or Chris Long.

There ya go. consider it broken down for you. This is what will take place. If not, then you can so I am an idiot and I don't know a single thing about any of this. But hey, everyone has their picture of how it plays out.

Thoughts???

I mean doesnt ever team between 5-8 comp at the bit for a player originally projected to go #1 or #2.

I also don't understand, not from your Post, but maybe Dom's, how you can't see ANY chance that Long and Gholston are there. You'd be suprised how much teams get scared of the word(s) "bust" or "takes plays off". Gholston undoubtedly will be there, anything otherwise that you have heard, is a definite smoke screen. No one is interested in Gholston before us, I CAN GUARANTEE THAT...I mean look at the teams for God's SAKES, and what they've gone through...

#2. St. Louis - One of the weakest Defensive and Offensive Lines in the NFL, and they drafted Adam Carriker Last year!!! They need a DT....So what does that mean folks....GLEN DORSEY.

#3. Atlanta - Were you awake during Vick's Ordeal, they need a franchise and yes I'm gonna say it....a WHITE HERALDED ALL-AMERICAN QB...So what does that mean folks....MATT RYAN. [P.S. I am not a racist lol, i think its the best FRANCHISE decision they can make.

#4. Oakland - If you are really going to sit there and believe that if DMC is on the board, and Al Davis won't go ahead and supercede, publicly this time, his head coach to PICK YOUNG DMC.

#5. (So we come down to it) - Basically I believe that drafting a franchise OL is more a pressing need b/c of who their QB is a younggg Brody Croyle, than DE with Chris Long. Mainly because Philip Merling will be available at the 17th Pick as the 2nd/3rd Top DE. SO WHAT DOES THAT MEAN....Branden Albert

#6. Gholston or Chris Long.

There ya go. consider it broken down for you. This is what will take place. If not, then you can so I am an idiot and I don't know a single thing about any of this. But hey, everyone has their picture of how it plays out.

Thoughts???

I guess I wasn't clear. I see a chance Long or Gholston will be there. I see no chance Long and Gholston will be there.

The Rams need a DT because they drafted Carricker last year? Maybe you don't know this, but Carricker played DT for them. All season. They were apparently very happy with him there. They may pick Dorsey and move Carricker back outside, but I think they'd prefer Chris Long.

Don't agree with your assessment of KC either.Merling is great, but has some serious injury concerns. His "private pro day" was today. I'm going to try to check the results now. He has not worked out for teams. No combine, no pro day. He had a sports hernia operation. That can turn out to be nothing or it may be a lingering problem that scares teams off. Way off. I can almost guarantee he won't be the #2 DE taken. Or #2.Albert? At five? That sounds like a hell of a stretch. I still think Clady will go before Albert. I'd say the depth at O line for 17 is probably as good as D line.

Maybe if the Rams go Chris Long, the Falcons will take Dorsey leaving Ryan for KC, but like Clemens, they may not be convinced Croyle is not the answer.

I don't know if you're an idiot, but I do know that you don't know that is how it will play out. I gave my reasons why I disagree, but I don't know how it will play out either. There certainly a ton of people convinced that the Rams will take Dorsey, Raiders DMC and that Albert is suddenly in the top 5.

I guess I wasn't clear. I see a chance Long or Gholston will be there. I see no chance Long and Gholston will be there.

The Rams need a DT because they drafted Carricker last year? Maybe you don't know this, but Carricker played DT for them. All season. They were apparently very happy with him there. They may pick Dorsey and move Carricker back outside, but I think they'd prefer Chris Long.

Don't agree with your assessment of KC either.Merling is great, but has some serious injury concerns. His "private pro day" was today. I'm going to try to check the results now. He has not worked out for teams. No combine, no pro day. He had a sports hernia operation. That can turn out to be nothing or it may be a lingering problem that scares teams off. Way off. I can almost guarantee he won't be the #2 DE taken. Or #2.Albert? At five? That sounds like a hell of a stretch. I still think Clady will go before Albert. I'd say the depth at O line for 17 is probably as good as D line.

Maybe if the Rams go Chris Long, the Falcons will take Dorsey leaving Ryan for KC, but like Clemens, they may not be convinced Croyle is not the answer.

I don't know if you're an idiot, but I do know that you don't know that is how it will play out. I gave my reasons why I disagree, but I don't know how it will play out either. There certainly a ton of people convinced that the Rams will take Dorsey, Raiders DMC and that Albert is suddenly in the top 5.

Honestly, you were clear, I read that "and" very cleary. But i just wanted to play Devil's Advocate for a bit. BTW very good points, you're right, I guess I didn't follow the Rams, close enough, for some reason, I just think that everyone runs A 3-4 Defense and that he played outside. But I apparently have found out that your right about him playing inside. I am not gonna change my pick, b/c I pray to god that Chris Long is available at #6, but I guess I just really want a choice between

GHOLSTON/McFADDEN/CHRIS LONG

Honestly, lol, as long as they pick or get a shot at one of those 3 players, I will be the happiest JET FAN that ever existed.

Archived