McFadden believes he will be drafted by Jets

Smizzy

http://www.newsday.com/sports/football/jets/ny-spjets255663483apr25,0,3913939.story

McFadden believes he will be drafted by Jets

BY ERIK BOLAND | erik.boland@newsday.com

April 25, 2008

Darren McFadden had nothing concrete to offer into evidence, just a feeling.

"I feel like if I'm still up there when they're picking, they're probably going to try to take me," the Arkansas running back said of the Jets yesterday at the Lighthouse at Chelsea Piers.

McFadden and other projected top draft choices Glenn Dorsey (LSU), Vernon Gholston (Ohio State), Chris Long (Virginia) and Matt Ryan (Boston College) were at the Lighthouse for the 2008 NFL draft luncheon. Michigan's Jake Long also attended, though the mystery surrounding his draft day disappeared earlier this week when he agreed to terms with the Dolphins, who have the No. 1 overall pick.

The Jets are sitting in the sixth spot, and the scenario that has their fans most excited is the possibility of McFadden, the Heisman Trophy runner-up the last two seasons, falling into their lap.

The Jets have done considerable vetting of the running back and went all out last week when he came to town for his official interview. They took him out to dinner and even a boxing event at the Hammerstein Ballroom in Manhattan. There was no-key-to-the-city ceremony presided over by Mayor Bloomberg, but there was a meeting with boxing analyst Teddy Atlas, a Jets special assistant.

That entire evening and other conversations he has had with the Jets have McFadden almost convinced he could be holding up a green-and-white jersey on draft day.

"Just being around them, getting that vibe from them," McFadden said. "Talking to them, I get that vibe."

Told that most teams probably try to give positive vibes to the players they invite for interviews, McFadden grinned.

"I felt it more with the Jets," he said.

There has been some conjecture that the Jets might trade up in order to secure McFadden - the Raiders, who pick fourth, also are looking hard at him - but that appears unlikely given their other glaring needs, particularly a pass rusher. There also is a lack of unanimity on McFadden's prospects for NFL success.

He put up huge numbers at Arkansas, including a program-record 1,830 yards with 16 touchdowns last season, and ranks second in SEC history with 5,881 all-purpose yards.

His last regular-season game was among the most memorable of the 2007 college football season; he rushed for 206 yards and three touchdowns in a 50-48 victory at LSU, then the top-ranked team in the country. McFadden, a sometimes quarterback in Arkansas' "Wildcat" formation, also threw a touchdown pass in that game.

McFadden's 4.33 40-yard dash time at the combine wowed scouts, but others see a "bust" factor, citing McFadden's supposedly skinny legs and 23 fumbles in three years. McFadden, though, has projected nothing but confidence in past interviews and did so again yesterday.

Asked what kind of offense he is best suited for, McFadden smiled again.

"I feel I'd fit in good with any offense," he said.

And two days before the draft, McFadden's overriding feeling is that the offense he'll be learning just might be the Jets'.

McFadden's numbers

Doak Walker Award wins (given to nation's top RB) in 2006 and 2007. Both years he was Heisman runner-up.

collegiate games played

rushing touchdowns

100-yard games

career rushing yards

yards per carry

It's not entirely accurate, he doesn't say he thinks he'll be drafted by the Jets but that "if available" he will be. There's little doubt in anyone's minds at this point that they would take him if available, especially since Long and Gholston may both be off the board. The question mark is Oakland and whether we'll even get a shot..

It's not entirely accurate, he doesn't say he thinks he'll be drafted by the Jets but that "if available" he will be. There's little doubt in anyone's minds at this point that they would take him if available, especially since Long and Gholston may both be off the board. The question mark is Oakland and whether we'll even get a shot..

The only reason that Oakland is a possible destination for DMC is because of Al Davis's insanity. Any sane person running the show in Oakland would NOT consider a running back in the 1st round. :P

The only reason that Oakland is a possible destination for DMC is because of Al Davis's insanity. Any sane person running the show in Oakland would NOT consider a running back in the 1st round. :P

If Chris Long (AKA Howie Jr.) is available there is no chance in Hell that Davis passes on him.

Chris long will not be drafted by OAk, there is bad blood between Howie and

Senile AL

will be DMC or S Ellis

Or Gholston.

But it could also be Chris Long. What can Howie do but force a trade? In that case I dont think Al Davis would back down. Anway, I dont think Chris would allow Howie to jeopardize his rookie season in Oakland. Finallly, money heals all wounds.

Chris long will not be drafted by OAk, there is bad blood between Howie and

Senile AL

will be DMC or S Ellis

How does anyone actually know that Al and Howie don't like each other. Couldn't it just be another internet rumor, passed around so much it's misconstrued as fact.

Besides if Long is available at 4 and Al really doesn't like howie. Al would draft Chris to spite howie and be all " HA who's got who, i'm smart, PUNK"

I think that is such an internet rumor its not even funny..

Howie Jr son of Raider great... play for the same team as his dad..wearing the same jersey number... The raiders need another DE... It just makes too much sense.. its almost a no brainer..

You have 4 running backs AL!!!! Ok three after you cut Lamont... but cmon on now... Fargus ran almost as fast as mcfadden at his combine... you drafted a stud rookie rb that was hurt... (bush) a couple of the team members are so excited about bush.. read a story saying hes there secret weapon..

You dont need a RB AL!!! LOL Its almost bordering on ridiculous....

From the raiders Board..

With the 4th selection in the NFL Draft, the Oakland Raiders select…

Howie Long’s son.

Ok – if commissioner Roger Goodell does announce that particular selection, he may not do it in that fashion, but many within the Raider Nation will feel very giddy knowing that the offspring of a Silver & Black legend will try to follow his dad’s footsteps.

I for one will be.

Heck, I want it to happen.

If there, the Raiders MUST select Chris Long on Saturday and continue the reshaping of what was a disappointing defense in 2007.

All the extra hoopla aside, Long is what the Raiders need. He is an athletic playmaker. He terrorizes quarterbacks, makes plays in the backfield and will lessen the pressure of Derrick Burgess at the other end spot. Yes, Long played within a 3-4 scheme in college, but his size and speed are adequate enough to drive NFL tackles nuts while being stout enough on the edge against the run.

You can never have enough defensive ends that can consistently get to the passer. Just look at last year’s Super Bowl champs. Talents at end are worth their weight in gold, as evidenced by the copious contracts handed to those that hit the free agent waters and the lack of dynamic players at that position around the league.

One player with great rushing ability can change the complexity of a defense. Add a second one, and with the moves Oakland has done this off-season to sure up their secondary, you’re now talking about a team that will have the ability to bring the heat and cover at the back end.

This is what Long could potentially bring to the field.

Another will be the iconic image of seeing #75 gracing the field once again. No, not Brad Lekkerkkerker (2005), Chris Cooper (2001-03) or David Daniels (1966). But another Long, who will play on the defensive line and that will understand the importance of donning the Silver & Black.

The bloodlines are there. The father I’m sure has talked to the son about what it was to be a Raider. The son has already talked about what it would be like to be a Raider. And so far, you have to like the sound of it all…

“I'm not afraid of any situation or any burden with the name. I've been dealing with this stuff my whole life”, said Chris.

All we need now is for Goodell to make the announcement, for Chris to embrace #75 and for the Virginia star to work on his scowl and flattop haircut to complete the cycle.

Oh, and let Mario Henderson know what his other options are for his new jersey number.

There is doubt in my mind we draft McFadden if he's there. We dont need him.

We would be better off trading down than getting either DMC or Ryan.

I just don't like this guy. Too ****y, a smile that just makes me want to punch him right in the mouth and just a bunch of other things. Some people jsut rub you the wrong way from Day 1 and he is one of them. I can't take him.

I just don't like this guy. Too ****y, a smile that just makes me want to punch him right in the mouth and just a bunch of other things. Some people jsut rub you the wrong way from Day 1 and he is one of them. I can't take him.

LOL, you are going to have a very hard time if you have to cheer him on. How will you react if the Jets draft him??

my thoughts

DMC is rated as best playa in the draft by 75% of experts,

Tom Jones is a scrub, a Journeyman RB that cannot sniff the goalline, Leon

is very good but is better suited to play K Faulk role

This team needs playmakers,

1st DMC then a WR

I think Davis will take DMC thus we will get Ellis or Gholston not bad either

still need a WR in 2nd round

I will bet someone ten dollars. You heard it right, ten dollars, that DMC (even if he is on the board) will not be drafted by the Jets.

i will take that bet!!!

So bet is on, the jets have to still be in 6th slot and DMC must be available.

I have come to terms with the Jets drafting him if he's there at #6. But under no circumstances should we trade up for this guy.

BTW I want no part of Gholston either. I feel like we're getting set up to take a bust in the first. This sucks.

Tangini, please do the right thing and find a trade down partner.

i will take that bet!!!

So bet is on, the jets have to still be in 6th slot and DMC must be available.

There is no way that they won't take him if he's there at #6. It's been built up too much now. You could already hear the boo's from Radio City if that happened.

i agree i say if McFadden is off the board at 6 (which he will be because Al Davis is going to take him at 4), then we should trade down. I heard today on the FAN that Dorsey may be left at 6 and since he does not fit our system we would be better off trading down to the Saints (who are at 7 or 8) because they want him. We would still have a top 10 pick plus some other form of compensaiton!

i agree i say if McFadden is off the board at 6 (which he will be because Al Davis is going to take him at 4), then we should trade down. I heard today on the FAN that Dorsey may be left at 6 and since he does not fit our system we would be better off trading down to the Saints (who are at 7 or 8) because they want him. We would still have a top 10 pick plus some other form of compensaiton!

No offense, but i'm really tired of the 'not fitting our system' argument. Dorsey would not be a NT for the 34 but could be a great hybrid d-end. Mangini has shown more than a few times that he will change up who is playing where on the 34 front. shaun ellis played OLBer for more than a few plays, pouha played RDE as did Robertson.

It's not always a good thing to draft a player and play them out of position (sort of), but it is a good thing to take BPA. Maybe we will get lucky and the Saints will really covet Dorsey, i just don't see too many teams willing to forefit their draft for one player in this particular year.

I would rather we take Ellis but think Dorsey could be equally effective as a defensive end. It would be the first time the Jets had some serious size up front since I've been watching them.

And what would you have us do with D'Brick (don't even think of saying RT because he isn't close to big enough, nor is he a very good run blocker). Shall we just cut him and eat the massive cap hit?

I have to know.. the guy in your signature..what the hell is he doing? it looks like a dance but not completely... theres a woman in the background and she looks like she try and do a lil dance too.. do u know anything abou that photo?

Archived