Can The Jets be a real contender in 2008?

YJF

Didn't you get the jist of the post? Who cares? I'm not saying Chad won the game by himself. I'm saying. He was the satrting QB and, if not for a missed FG, they would have won.

If a QB's team can win ONE game with him starting, they can win any game.

To say a guy can only go so far is erroneous.

Now, If Clemens is better suited than the geniuses running this team will know it and I back the coaching staff. They've done enough this offseason for me to believe they want to win now, so I'm behind Clemens or Chad 100%.

Now, if you'll show me where I said Chad won any game alone, I'll revise the statement.

Just because a team can win in spite of someone doesn't mean they are the best person for the job, and the teams wouldn't win more without them. Drew Bledsoe is the perfect illustration of this, both Romo and Brady took the teams a lot further after replacing him. Trent Dilfer is another example sort of, the Ravens thought so little of him they got rid of him. Grossman will be another victim soon, he fluked his way to being QB of a winning team one year, but at this point they realize they need someone better.

The Jets need a good QB, bottom line. Even if we build a great team around Chad, the Pats and Colts have arguably better teams and then the QB on top of that. That's one of the reasons why the Ravens just won one and can't even make the playoffs consistently, the best year they had was before McNair fell apart, and since then they've been awful.

As we have seen with the Steelers and Giants, you don't have to be the best team in the regular season to win the Super Bowl.

The road to the Super Bowl is easy.

1. Win enough games to get into playoffs.

2. Win playoff games.

3. Win Super Bowl.

All though it is early, I think this team is as talented and has enough to get into the playoffs on the wild card and from there, anything is possible.

10-6 gets us a wild card berth, but we need to play well on the road, not let all the East Coast/ West Coast crap get to us and split with the Pats & Bills and sweep the Dolphins.

BZ

Gotta disagree here. With the improved "D" and new direction the "O" is taking towards a power running team all the QB has to do is manage the game. Chad excels in that. Us the run to set up the occasional pass. Personally I could care less who the QB is. Chad ? KC? . I'll leave it to the CS to decide. They'll pick the QB that gives us the best chance of winning. That's all that counts...the "W's "

reality-check.jpg

What improved D? The 08 squad hasnt played a down yet and youre already counting your wins. FOOL.

What improved D? The 08 squad hasnt played a down yet and youre already counting your wins. FOOL.

just like you and your other fair weather fans did about aquiring thomas and moss a year ago. It's called an offseason and a football message board...fans tend to think about what their teams will do in the future. I'm sorry to offend you, but i believe the addition of Pace and Jenkins will improve our run defense. I guess i'm a fool for speculating.

Honestly, SoFlJets, you and I have been talking Jets since the Keyshawn trade, bro. Chad's arm is not close to 100%, I admit, but don't you agree that he threw some VERY nice passes last year. He STILL has a nice touch, he still got Cloes/Cotch a bunch of yard, He DOES throw downfield. He has a connection with coles, especially around the endzone.

He doesn't suck like he did that year when he played hurt. He couldn't throw ten yards that year, but he still manages a game, reads defenses, runs that no-huddle all day and threads the needle when he has too.

WITH ALL that said, if Chad has improved and wins that job, GREAT! I support the move 1000%, a QB with a nice zip, awesome, but with all the changes, are you not comfotable with Chad being able to win an NFL game, with another season of full recovery under his belt?

He's not that bad, and if he is, the tangini gang will know it and he'll be a great backup. I have a feeling they are playing to win now.

For 8 seasons he's been my guy LM-I ALWAYS liked Chad Pennington. What I have seen happen though is the rest of the league has him figured out-maybe it's the system I don't know, all I know is he plays within 10 yards of the LOS now and it ain't good enough anymore. I thought (Max said it too last year) that '07 was going to be a good year for him not having to rehab again finally, and that he would get his arm strength back-it didn't happen and now I'm with the rest of the guys who have been saying that IT'S TIME TO MOVE ON

For 8 seasons he's been my guy LM-I ALWAYS liked Chad Pennington. What I have seen happen though is the rest of the league has him figured out-maybe it's the system I don't know, all I know is he plays within 10 yards of the LOS now and it ain't good enough anymore. I thought (Max said it too last year) that '07 was going to be a good year for him not having to rehab again finally, and that he would get his arm strength back-it didn't happen and now I'm with the rest of the guys who have been saying that IT'S TIME TO MOVE ON

Let's see what Mangini thinks.

Just because a team can win in spite of someone doesn't mean they are the best person for the job, and the teams wouldn't win more without them. Drew Bledsoe is the perfect illustration of this, both Romo and Brady took the teams a lot further after replacing him. Trent Dilfer is another example sort of, the Ravens thought so little of him they got rid of him. Grossman will be another victim soon, he fluked his way to being QB of a winning team one year, but at this point they realize they need someone better.

The Jets need a good QB, bottom line. Even if we build a great team around Chad, the Pats and Colts have arguably better teams and then the QB on top of that. That's one of the reasons why the Ravens just won one and can't even make the playoffs consistently, the best year they had was before McNair fell apart, and since then they've been awful.

This is what kills me.

No matter how many wins we got with Chad as the QB - 6 wins, 9, 10, whatever - Chadophiles assume that is the most that we could have won because that's how good the team was & no more than that.

How many Bledsoephiles thought staying with Brady was (initially) a stupid move? LOTS. Hey - Bledsoe was the #1 overall pick. He'd "taken them" to a superbowl. They just gave him a $100M contract. He'd "been there" before. Brady was a (very late) 6th round prospect who's scouting report said he had trouble throwing spirals.

Bledsoe was the safe pick; if NE had only won 9 or 10 games & then quickly bowed out of the playoffs, it would have been considered a success. Even an 8-8 season would have been seen as an improvement over the prior year, particularly when their franchise QB had a punctured lung in September. Cameras & other cheating notwithstanding, BB had his sights set higher than merely making the playoffs.

The AFC East certainly is dominated by one team, but I am not sure if you are being fair to the NFC.

In inter-conference games the NFC last year the NFC won 34 games the AFC won 32. In the regular season each conference won 32 of the 64 games, but the NFC won both intra-conference post season games, the SB and pro-bowl.

Last year the AFC had two 13+ win teams (Pats and Colts) but so did the NFC (GB and Cowboys). Both the Pats and Colts swept their non-conference games, but so did the cheese heads.

The SB Champion Giants would not have made the playoffs in the AFC last year. Period.

The SB Champion Giants would not have made the playoffs in the AFC last year. Period.

How you figure? They had the same record 10-6, as the Steelers and Titans, both who made it.

Fact of the matter is they were the only team to beat the Patriots. And if you look at the 18 games the Pats did win, the week 17 Giants was their toughest opponent of the games they did win.

Archived