Can The Jets be a real contender in 2008?

YJF

There's no denying the fact that the Jets are a much more talented football team on paper right now than they were when the 2007 season ended. Despite a 4 and 12 record in 2007. The Jets were a competitive team. They were good enough to compete in games but ultimately not good enough to win. They just didn't have enough talent.

The Jets have upgraded their team in the trenches significantly. The o-line and d-lines should be better in 08. The Jets in 07 were soft upfront. You can't win games in the NFL if you can't win at the line of scrimmage.

The offense's running game should be much better than it was in 2007. Bill Callahan is running the o-line and ground game and these are strong areas of expertise for him. The Jets have the talent now to control the line of scrimmage and play power football. The additions of Faneca, Woody, Richardson and Franks will help the Jets in short yardage and in the red zone. Thomas Jones and Leon Washington should benefit from those additions. The continued development and progression of players like Ferguson and Mangold is a key to how good the Jets o-line can be next season.

The Jets run defense should be better in 08 as well, Provided that Kris Jenkins stays healthy. He's the key to the entire defense. Jenkins has to hold up his end of the bargain. The Jets had no pass rush in 07. Vernon Gholston and Calvin Pace should help in this area. Gholston has an immense upside and if he picks up things quickly, He can be a dominant force as a pass rusher on the outside. The tools are there for him to be a consistent double digit sack man. Pace will provide a pop at rushing the passer but he can also stand up against the run. He's been compared by the Jets defensive staff to Mo Lewis. Mo Lewis was never spectacular in one area but he was very good in every area. A complete linebacker with toughness. An improved pass rush will benefit the Jets young and talented secondary. Revis and Rhodes are excellent players. The key to the secondary will be the development of Justin Miller and Abram Elam. Their progression will be the key to how good the Jets secondary can be in 08.

Barring bad luck and injuries. The Jets will be a better team in 2008. How much better?.. That remains to be seen.

While, The Jets are better upfront on offense and defense. I don't know what level of play they are going to get from the QB position. Mediocre play from QB will not be enough to make this team a playoff contender next season. I still think that the Jets do not have enough playmakers on offense and defense. The Jets still have question marks and are still a few players away from making a serious run. One more good offseason and draft could put this team in the direction for a strong run. Until the QB situation gets settled. The team is going to be limited in how far it can go.

I don't think that the Jets will be a playoff contender in 2008. The window that I see for them is from 7 to 9 wins. The AFC is ultra competitive. There are too many teams that are far ahead of the Jets in the talent category. The Pats, Colts, Jags, Chargers, Steelers seem to be prime playoff contenders. There's an opening for the final seed in the conference. Can the Jets be good enough in 08 to contend for that final spot with the likes of teams like Cleveland and Tennessee etc. Buffalo could finally rise up in 08, They are getting closer. There are other AFC teams that are on the same level as the Jets right now looking to rise up and contend.

At this point, As a Jets fan. I am happy with what the front office did following last season's disaster. I just don't think that the Jets are in a position yet to be a real contender in 2008. They are probably a year away. Time will tell.

I honestly believe if we played in the NFC (Junior Varsity) we would be a legit contender.

But the AFC is so stacked and I dont think we have the QB to take use DEEP into the playoffs. (unless Clemens has a big time breakout). Love Chad, he could lead us to 10 regular season wins, maybe a playoff win, but not much more.

I really like the direction; very curious as to how this year will go.

10 months from now are we gonna be one of those teams in need of a legit QB? Hope not.

There's no denying the fact that the Jets are a much more talented football team on paper right now than they were when the 2007 season ended. Despite a 4 and 12 record in 2007. The Jets were a competitive team. They were good enough to compete in games but ultimately not good enough to win. They just didn't have enough talent.

The Jets have upgraded their team in the trenches significantly. The o-line and d-lines should be better in 08. The Jets in 07 were soft upfront. You can't win games in the NFL if you can't win at the line of scrimmage.

The offense's running game should be much better than it was in 2007. Bill Callahan is running the o-line and ground game and these are strong areas of expertise for him. The Jets have the talent now to control the line of scrimmage and play power football. The additions of Faneca, Woody, Richardson and Franks will help the Jets in short yardage and in the red zone. Thomas Jones and Leon Washington should benefit from those additions. The continued development and progression of players like Ferguson and Mangold is a key to how good the Jets o-line can be next season.

The Jets run defense should be better in 08 as well, Provided that Kris Jenkins stays healthy. He's the key to the entire defense. Jenkins has to hold up his end of the bargain. The Jets had no pass rush in 07. Vernon Gholston and Calvin Pace should help in this area. Gholston has an immense upside and if he picks up things quickly, He can be a dominant force as a pass rusher on the outside. The tools are there for him to be a consistent double digit sack man. Pace will provide a pop at rushing the passer but he can also stand up against the run. He's been compared by the Jets defensive staff to Mo Lewis. Mo Lewis was never spectacular in one area but he was very good in every area. A complete linebacker with toughness. An improved pass rush will benefit the Jets young and talented secondary. Revis and Rhodes are excellent players. The key to the secondary will be the development of Justin Miller and Abram Elam. Their progression will be the key to how good the Jets secondary can be in 08.

Barring bad luck and injuries. The Jets will be a better team in 2008. How much better?.. That remains to be seen.

While, The Jets are better upfront on offense and defense. I don't know what level of play they are going to get from the QB position. Mediocre play from QB will not be enough to make this team a playoff contender next season. I still think that the Jets do not have enough playmakers on offense and defense. The Jets still have question marks and are still a few players away from making a serious run. One more good offseason and draft could put this team in the direction for a strong run. Until the QB situation gets settled. The team is going to be limited in how far it can go.

I don't think that the Jets will be a playoff contender in 2008. The window that I see for them is from 7 to 9 wins. The AFC is ultra competitive. There are too many teams that are far ahead of the Jets in the talent category. The Pats, Colts, Jags, Chargers, Steelers seem to be prime playoff contenders. There's an opening for the final seed in the conference. Can the Jets be good enough in 08 to contend for that final spot with the likes of teams like Cleveland and Tennessee etc. Buffalo could finally rise up in 08, They are getting closer. There are other AFC teams that are on the same level as the Jets right now looking to rise up and contend.

At this point, As a Jets fan. I am happy with what the front office did following last season's disaster. I just don't think that the Jets are in a position yet to be a real contender in 2008. They are probably a year away. Time will tell.

Is this the famous YJF??????

You should post here more....

I think jets will go 8-8 or 9-7

we still need a real RB and a deep threat at WR and we do not know how

good KC is ..we do know how bad CP is?

maybe Bears will take Jones back

Most teams are capable of contention each year depending on how the stars align themselves. The Jets have made enough moves to make a run at the end, if Clemens can play minor-mistake football.

Chad is done. Teams do not have to respect him whatsoever.

KC made some improvement last year, with a terrible supporting cast. The Jets FO shored up the O-line so Clemens will have time to learn progression. They grabbed a nice pass threat in Keller and a red zone option in Franks. If Leon continues to improve and Jones finds the holes bigger behind the new O-line, Kellen will simply need to not f-up.

The defense must be the key. No excuses. There are solid to decent players in every unit. The front seven have real potential to be spectacular.

One thing I know ... the Jets now have a left guard. I watched a 2007 Steelers/Bengals game today on NFL Replay and watched Fananca on every Steeler offensive play. My Lord. The Jets have never had a guard like this. Dave Herman and Randy Rasmussan were good, but ...

I honestly believe if we played in the NFC (Junior Varsity) we would be a legit contender.

But the AFC is so stacked and I dont think we have the QB to take use DEEP into the playoffs. (unless Clemens has a big time breakout). Love Chad, he could lead us to 10 regular season wins, maybe a playoff win, but not much more.

10 months from now are we gonna be one of those teams in need of a legit QB? Hope not.

I really think you're underestimating our counter conference (NFC). Its not cool to call them "junior varsity".

Atleast they can say that dont have a single team (Patriots) dominating their entire conference for almost a decade.

The AFC is so good that "one team" can just dominate it huh?....yeah, we should be proud.

P.S. Please dont get me wrong, Fcuk the Pats.....but I have to show respect for those other teams in the NFC. They work hard and have fans that shouldnt be disrespected like that. Say anything you want, but never say that they're not Pros.

I hate Tom Brady because he's a pro, and a fine one at that. If he or the Patriots werent then they'd be nothing to hate. I would never boast for the Jets beating a team that they were obviously better than. How do you get respect that way? Just ask Eli Manning (NFL Superbowl Champion and NFC Player), he's the f-ing man right now. Be beat the literally "unbeatable" and he almost did it twice in once season. Something that his older brother, in the AFC can even say.

As Rick Flair has said many times. "TO BE THE MAN, YOU HAVE TO BEAT THE MAN".

Is this the famous YJF??????

You should post here more....

I think jets will go 8-8 or 9-7

we still need a real RB and a deep threat at WR and we do not know how

good KC is ..we do know how bad CP is?

maybe Bears will take Jones back

This is a good site and forum. It's just hard to dedicate so much time to each message board.

Anything less than 8 and 8 could lead to more changes.

Ultimately, I think that Mike Tannenbaum and Eric Mangini are safe through 2008 and 2009. If the team falls flat on it's face in 2008. Then 2009 will the make or break year for this regime. The owner loves Tangini so I think they have some rope to play with here.

It's a big decision year at QB and the coordinator spots. If Clemens/Pennington don't get it done. The Jets have to start all over at QB. If the defense does not take the next step, Bob Sutton will be gone. Brian Schottenheimer with a good year in 08 could get more head coaching consideration. If the offense has a bad year, Eric might have to make a tough decision as to who runs the offense moving forward.

Part of Schottenheimer's responsibilities have to be slightly altered. Callahan is the running game coordinator and former Pats assistant, Brian Daboll is the QB coach and his voice is respected by the coach. It's a big year for Brian Schottenheimer and Bob Sutton.

One thing I know ... the Jets now have a left guard. I watched a 2007 Steelers/Bengals game today on NFL Replay and watched Fananca on every Steeler offensive play. My Lord. The Jets have never had a guard like this. Dave and Randy Rasmussan were good, but ...

you're right. He's been to the probowl like 100 times and if he decided to just quit he'll be an instant hall of famer. I heard of faneca but really didnt do my homework on him until he got here. this dude lets nothing past him, and he's just a good on run blocking as well.

One thing I know ... the Jets now have a left guard. I watched a 2007 Steelers/Bengals game today on NFL Replay and watched Fananca on every Steeler offensive play. My Lord. The Jets have never had a guard like this. Dave and Randy Rasmussan were good, but ...

I hope you're right. I know some Steeler fans and they generally seem to think Faneca is still good, but well past his prime. They also generally felt he was very light. That may be sour grapes because he wanted a new deal and they knew he wasn't coming back. I know other guys that watched him were impressed (Irish for one). Wish it weren't the Bengal game you watched, they do not have a stout D. I think Chad dropped 30 on them last year and Schlegel got playing time at LB.

I really think you're underestimating our counter conference (NFC). Its not cool to call them "junior varsity".

Atleast they can say that dont have a single team (Patriots) dominating their entire conference for almost a decade.

The AFC is so good that "one team" can just dominate it huh?....yeah, we should be proud.

P.S. Please dont get me wrong, Fcuk the Pats.....but I have to show respect for those other teams in the NFC. They work hard and have fans that shouldnt be disrespected like that. Say anything you want, but never say that they're not Pros.

I hate Tom Brady because he's a pro, and a fine one at that. If he or the Patriots werent then they'd be nothing to hate. I would never boast for the Jets beating a team that they were obviously better than. How do you get respect that way? Just ask Eli Manning (NFL Superbowl Champion and NFC Player), he's the f-ing man right now. Be beat the literally "unbeatable" and he almost did it twice in once season. Something that his older brother, in the AFC can even say.

As Rick Flair has said many times. "TO BE THE MAN, YOU HAVE TO BEAT THE MAN".

You don't want us to disrespect the NFC, but you are willing to disrespect the AFC by saying it was dominated by the Pats? In the last decade the AFC has sent 7 teams to the super bowl. The Pats made it three times, but I think the Colts have been at least as dominant during the regular season. Oh, and the AFC is up 7-3 over the JV in the big one.

and what Buttle was saying yesterday on Jets Nation was how much better it will make D'Brick playing next to a player of his caliber

Depends on the QB. If the QB performs well, then we will be contenders. If he doesn't, then we won't make the playoffs.

and if Chad is that QB I put our chances at around 10% unless his arm miraculously regenerates itself

I think we WILL make the playoffs next year. We did what we had to do in plugging the obvious hole we had at NT, with the pass rush and on the O line. Of course other teams, like the Bills, did too. Good coaching , staying healthy, and winning the games we SHOULD win on our schedule will go a long ways. As Barton pointed out, the play at QB will be huge. It usually is with every team.

SoFla... Chad will earn your respect once again this season.

He's already got my respect,but I'd rather respect him on another team.

Any team can win if all the pieces fall into place. We would need all or most of our rookies to come in and make a difference. The moves we made on D would have to pay dividends, but most important would be seeing a huge improvement in Clemens(Sorry to break your heart Ecurb but we will never again be contenders with Chad). I don't really think we are, but I didn't think the Giants where last year either.

He's already got my respect,but I'd rather respect him on another team.

Any team can win if all the pieces fall into place. We would need all or most of our rookies to come in and make a difference. The moves we made on D would have to pay dividends, but most important would be seeing a huge improvement in Clemens(Sorry to break your heart Ecurb but we will never again be contenders with Chad). I don't really think we are, but I didn't think the Giants where last year either.

Gotta disagree here. With the improved "D" and new direction the "O" is taking towards a power running team all the QB has to do is manage the game. Chad excels in that. Us the run to set up the occasional pass. Personally I could care less who the QB is. Chad ? KC? . I'll leave it to the CS to decide. They'll pick the QB that gives us the best chance of winning. That's all that counts...the "W's "

HE ALREADY DONE IT!!!!!! Doug Bryan makes a kick and we're in the AFC title game.

This is outright ridiculous!

Look, it's simple, whoever wins the starting job is our QB. If it's Clemens, great. Chad, great. Let's just kill this whole thing.

There's three sides:

1. Chad is the QB

2. Clemens is the QB

3. The coaching staff is STUPID. They made vast improvements in EVERY area but forgot QB.

4. Oh, 4, Ainge.

And that's it, everyone take their stand and put a moratorium on QB talk, because these arguments are idiotic.

If you can win one game in this league you can win it all! Period.

To say a QB can win the first two games of the playoffs, but isn't good enough to go further is ....false.

I'm not even gonna waste my time looking it up, but tell me how Doug Williams beat John Elway in the SB or Mark Rypien beat Jim Kelly or how Hostetler beat Jim Kelly or how Trent Dilfer beat whoever and on and on and on.

I'd say our O-line is pretty dam goo, better be after two first rounders and a Big time free agent, and the guy running the ball just went to the superbowl with Rex Friggin Grossman.

HE ALREADY DONE IT!!!!!! Doug Bryan makes a kick and we're in the AFC title game.

Look, it's simple, whoever wins the starting job is our QB. If it's Clemens, great. Chad, great. Let's just kill this whole thing.

There's three sides:

1. Chad is the QB

2. Clemens is the QB

3. The coaching staff is STUPID. They made vast improvements in EVERY area but forgot QB.

4. Oh, 4, Ainge.

And that's it, everyone take their stand and put a moratorium on QB talk, because these arguments are idiotic.

To say a QB can win the first two games of the playoffs, but isn't good enough to go further is ....false.

How many points did the offense score in that game? Refresh my memory please. Maybe it's a little hazy about how Chad "won" that game since it was so long ago.

There's three sides:

1. Chad is the QB

2. Clemens is the QB

4. Oh, 4, Ainge.

I'm not even gonna waste my time looking it up, but tell me how Doug Williams beat John Elway in the SB or Mark Rypien beat Jim Kelly or how Hostetler beat Jim Kelly or how Trent Dilfer beat whoever and on and on and on.

I'd say our O-line is pretty dam goo, better be after two first rounders and a Big time free agent, and the guy running the ball just went to the superbowl with Rex Friggin Grossman.

I don't think he coaching staff is stupid, but that doesn't mean the QB situation is all peaches and cream. They didn't do anything to upgrade because there was no simple, cost effective way to upgrade. I can tell you right now that I don't believe if Clemens wins the job great, if Pennington wins the job great. They both sucked last year and there is a good chance they will both suck this year.

PS: Our O line sucked balls last year with those same two first rounders. Faneca and Woody should be better, but that doesn't mean they will. In fact, if Faneca gets hurt they might be worse off than in '07.

The Jets can be a real contender for the playoffs as a Wild Card seed, but thats about it. There is a major hole at Quarterback and they still have to see if Kris Jenkins can adapt to playing the 34 Nose role and if they wasted $49 million on a potential one year wonder in Calvin Pace. Once these questions are answered, or somewhat answered, we'll have a better idea of where this team is going.

As for 2008, the best this team can do is 10-6, IMO. New England is still a much better team, Buffalo has improved slightly from a 7-9 '07 campagin, Miami has improved somewhat, although their QB situation is still awful and with trips to San Diego & Seattle looming, the Jets don't exactly have an easy schedule to take advantage of. Its going to take time to gel .. regular season games. Teams don't gel over night in the Preseason and Training Camp. By November we'll see the real 2008 New York Jets, at least on Defense.

I see the Jets ability to contend hinging on the melding of the new OL personel along with Franks, Richardson, and whoever else is protecting the play development. But mostly it's on Clemens ability to produce. If he's so so - or even worse if he totally craps the bed - we will remain a crappy football team. If Pennington is QBing this team we will have a different surprise every Sunday - most or all of them bad as we relive the same Groundhog Day nightmare as last season.

The component of this thats real hard to determine is Shottenheimers part and what kind of infighting with Callahan will take place if things aren't working well. I doubt we'll see those 2 involved with the Jets offense next year unless real positive things happen.

The D has to gel too - and you cant underscore the importance of that - but I see that task happening with less pain than resolving our inability to score points.

Gotta disagree here. With the improved "D" and new direction the "O" is taking towards a power running team all the QB has to do is manage the game. Chad excels in that. Us the run to set up the occasional pass. Personally I could care less who the QB is. Chad ? KC? . I'll leave it to the CS to decide. They'll pick the QB that gives us the best chance of winning. That's all that counts...the "W's "

VERY WELL SAID!

and if Chad is that QB I put our chances at around 10% unless his arm miraculously regenerates itself

Honestly, SoFlJets, you and I have been talking Jets since the Keyshawn trade, bro. Chad's arm is not close to 100%, I admit, but don't you agree that he threw some VERY nice passes last year. He STILL has a nice touch, he still got Cloes/Cotch a bunch of yard, He DOES throw downfield. He has a connection with coles, especially around the endzone.

He doesn't suck like he did that year when he played hurt. He couldn't throw ten yards that year, but he still manages a game, reads defenses, runs that no-huddle all day and threads the needle when he has too.

WITH ALL that said, if Chad has improved and wins that job, GREAT! I support the move 1000%, a QB with a nice zip, awesome, but with all the changes, are you not comfotable with Chad being able to win an NFL game, with another season of full recovery under his belt?

He's not that bad, and if he is, the tangini gang will know it and he'll be a great backup. I have a feeling they are playing to win now.

How many points did the offense score in that game? Refresh my memory please. Maybe it's a little hazy about how Chad "won" that game since it was so long ago.

Didn't you get the jist of the post? Who cares? I'm not saying Chad won the game by himself. I'm saying. He was the satrting QB and, if not for a missed FG, they would have won.

If a QB's team can win ONE game with him starting, they can win any game.

To say a guy can only go so far is erroneous.

Now, If Clemens is better suited than the geniuses running this team will know it and I back the coaching staff. They've done enough this offseason for me to believe they want to win now, so I'm behind Clemens or Chad 100%.

Now, if you'll show me where I said Chad won any game alone, I'll revise the statement.

But the AFC is so stacked

The AFC East certainly is dominated by one team, but I am not sure if you are being fair to the NFC.

In inter-conference games the NFC last year the NFC won 34 games the AFC won 32. In the regular season each conference won 32 of the 64 games, but the NFC won both intra-conference post season games, the SB and pro-bowl.

Last year the AFC had two 13+ win teams (Pats and Colts) but so did the NFC (GB and Cowboys). Both the Pats and Colts swept their non-conference games, but so did the cheese heads.

Archived