Versatile Keller Impresses Early

NOExcusesNYJ

Dustin Keller earned a degree in organizational leadership from Purdue University.

Starting with the rookie minicamp in early May and continuing Monday with the onset of OTA practices that rookies can attend, Keller began his pursuit of additional higher learning.

"I'm studying more in this playbook than I ever was in school," Keller said after yesterday morning's workout. "It's like I'm getting a degree in football now."

The Jets moved back into the first round to take the 6-2, 248-pound tight end, who flummoxed Big Ten defenses much of last season but did so acting more as a vertical receiving threat than a traditional tight end. The Jets saw Keller as a multi-dimensional playmaker, and there he was yesterday, lining up in several positions, including the slot.

"It's something I find to be a lot of fun, being able to be all over the field and kind of confusing the defense," Keller said. "You [the defense] see there's a tight end in the game but you don't know where he's going to line up. You have no clue. It makes me really excited that I can run out of different spots, run pass plays from all over the field."

Coach Eric Mangini has been impressed.

"He's got excellent vertical speed," Mangini said. "He's able to put a lot of pressure on the defense very quickly. Zone or man, his ability to pressure you and get on you so quickly, it's a tempo-changer."

With Chris Baker skipping OTAs in the hope of forcing the Jets to redo his contract, Keller could benefit, though veteran Bubba Franks, a more traditional tight end, would be the more realistic beneficiary. Regardless, Keller is smart enough to avoid speculating.

"I'm just trying to soak in the offense and whatever the coaches are asking of me," Keller said. "I'm looking forward to when Chris does get here so I can learn from him, learn a few things from him along with Bubba and Jason [Pociask]. I'm looking forward to all that."

Looks as if he's learned plenty already.

Notes & quotes: NT Kris Jenkins inflated to nearly 400 pounds last season with Carolina but confirmed what Mangini said last week: that he has shed significant weight and is about 360. "I feel great," Jenkins said. "Doing what I have done now, I would not go back the other way." ... Besides Baker, two players missed practice: LB Vernon Gholston because Ohio State's academic session hasn't ended, and P Jeremy Kapinos for personal reasons ... In the quarterback battle, Chad Pennington and Kellen Clemens have been alternating working with the first team. Yesterday was Clemens' turn and he had the best pass of the day, a 40-yarder down the right sideline to Laveranues Coles that beat the tight coverage of Darrelle Revis.

love this kid already....

Bu Bu But!!! Many 'experts' on Jetnation told me that he is a sure fire 'bust' even though he had not had his first nfl practice yet.

I am confused about this conflicting report!

dude, it's practice. Don't be a smart arse. No one wishes that we wasted a pick on a te. Most people that didn't like the pick felt that he would have been there in the second. And those that didn't like the pick at all felt there were greater needs.

Most people that didn't like the pick felt that he would have been there in the second. And those that didn't like the pick at all felt there were greater needs.

The Jets needed an offensive playmaker. After all of their offseason moves, and their pick at #6, it stood out as a glaring need.

If they strongly felt that the jints were going to take him (a likely possibility), then they made the right move. Obviously they loved the guy. I have no problem with them making the move to get him. A lot of people didn't like when they traded up to get Kerry Rhodes, either, but that worked out.

I remember a long time ago when the Jets wanted a QB named Brett Favre in the second round, but couldn't get a deal done to move up. Wound up with Browning Nagle instead.

If this is the guy they felt they had to have, I'm glad they did.

I think I am really going to like this kid.

One of the best plays in football is the TE seam route that Mark Bavaro ran all the time.

Now Keller may not be as big as Bavaro but if he can run those kind of routes it will open up this offense alot more.

I think I am really going to like this kid.

One of the best plays in football is the TE seam route that Mark Bavaro ran all the time.

Now Keller may not be as big as Bavaro but if he can run those kind of routes it will open up this offense alot more.

Maybe the best team i ever saw play played the double TE set and ran seem routes at least 3 times per game. Favre had either Chmura or Jackson for a few 25 yarders per game. It opened everything up for Brooks and company, coupled with a good ground game, it was very difficult to slow down.

Bu Bu But!!! Many 'experts' on Jetnation told me that he is a sure fire 'bust' even though he had not had his first nfl practice yet.

you have to avoid that, many of us Jet fans have been serverly injured mentally by the jets, especially when it came to draft day. Keller's going to turn out fine. Many say that they didnt like the pick because we didnt need him, my opinion is that they're only looking at his position (TE) and not his ability on the field. But then again, this is all on paper you know. i guess all we can do is hope.

A sure fire bust is picking Ted Ginn over about 3 dozen players who would help your team out more. The only player I would have taken over Keller at that spot is James Hardy.

A sure fire bust is picking Ted Ginn over about 3 dozen players who would help your team out more. The only player I would have taken over Keller at that spot is James Hardy.

I wanted Hardy there as well, but now I rly like the Keller pick, and also we got a WR who is like the same size as hardy, so it's all good.

Here's a question for you guys. Let's assume Baker does play with us. How much will it open the playbook, by having Franks, keller, and Baker as TE's?

I wanted Hardy there as well, but now I rly like the Keller pick, and also we got a WR who is like the same size as hardy, so it's all good.

Here's a question for you guys. Let's assume Baker does play with us. How much will it open the playbook, by having Franks, keller, and Baker as TE's?

Hardy is 4 inches taller than Keller so they're not exactly the same size. Hardy is going to get a lot of jump balls in the endzone.

I still like the Keller pick for the reason you said with the playbook. We can run double-TE sets (which will help the O-line) and have Keller lining up at the slot or at wideout. I'd love to see a 190 lb DB try to tackle 240 lb Keller.

Hardy is 4 inches taller than Keller so they're not exactly the same size. Hardy is going to get a lot of jump balls in the endzone.

I still like the Keller pick for the reason you said with the playbook. We can run double-TE sets (which will help the O-line) and have Keller lining up at the slot or at wideout. I'd love to see a 190 lb DB try to tackle 240 lb Keller.

He was taking about Henry, he said WR, Keller is listed as a TE.

Hardy is 6'6 with a 37" vertical....

Keller is 6'3 with a 41" vertical....

Excluding the difference in arm length, the advantage goes to Keller. He can get up (one inch) higher... and without all of the gun-pulling daddy-crap.

I say we made a great deal.

The only player I would have taken over Keller at that spot is James Hardy.

I would have taken CB brandon flowers. He was a first round talent and the last of the elite CBs still on the board. He ended up going to KC at #35.

I can't complain about the Keller pick even though it surprised me. It's another example of this FO wanting to win now. If they had picked a WR like Hardy I doubt he would have made much of an impact this year, since he wouldn't be seeing much playing time. There's no way he would play over Coles or Cotchery.

He might play for red zone situations, but that just shows how much better a pick Keller is since he'll play a lot more then just the red zone situations. On top of that the Keller pick helps the FO cover their butts with the Baker situation.

I'll also like this pick a lot more if Dwight Lowery is the real deal at CB.

The Jets needed an offensive playmaker. After all of their offseason moves, and their pick at #6, it stood out as a glaring need.

If they strongly felt that the jints were going to take him (a likely possibility), then they made the right move. Obviously they loved the guy. I have no problem with them making the move to get him. A lot of people didn't like when they traded up to get Kerry Rhodes, either, but that worked out.

I remember a long time ago when the Jets wanted a QB named Brett Favre in the second round, but couldn't get a deal done to move up. Wound up with Browning Nagle instead.

If this is the guy they felt they had to have, I'm glad they did.

Wow! I haven't posted on this site for a loooong time (I have been lurking pretty much every day) and I just had to login and respond to this. One of the reasons I stopped posting on this site is because there were so many condescending folks that liked to bash Chad Pennington and his fans, Kellen Clemens and his fans or the front office....it just started to get old....but here I find a logical person that posts something that makes so much sense it's almost ridiculous. A little faith in the team, there's not really a lot of that going on around here. So, sorry for the rant but I wanted to thank you for your excellent post and a reason for my 100th!

:cheers:

Hardy is 6'6 with a 37" vertical....

Keller is 6'3 with a 41" vertical....

Excluding the difference in arm length, the advantage goes to Keller. He can get up (one inch) higher... and without all of the gun-pulling daddy-crap.

I say we made a great deal.

Vertical is probably one of the most overrated combine statistics. Yes, in perfect conditions Keller may have a higher vertical but in the middle of a game with pads and helmet getting hit and running a route your vertical is going to change completely.

I still like the Keller pick. I think he'll be good but as far as an endzone threat I think Hardy has the edge.

Vertical is probably one of the most overrated combine statistics. Yes, in perfect conditions Keller may have a higher vertical but in the middle of a game with pads and helmet getting hit and running a route your vertical is going to change completely.

I still like the Keller pick. I think he'll be good but as far as an endzone threat I think Hardy has the edge.

The conditions you suggest, (that alter a vertical) would apply to both players, wouldn't it?

Hardy's arm length: 33 1/8-inch

Keller's arm length: 32 1/8-inch

that's 5/8-inch difference. I give the edge to the player that can pluck the ball out of the air from the highest point possible.... sorry, but that is Keller.

:character0293:

The conditions you suggest, (that alter a vertical) would apply to both players, wouldn't it?

Hardy's arm length: 33 1/8-inch

Keller's arm length: 32 1/8-inch

that's 5/8-inch difference. I give the edge to the player that can pluck the ball out of the air from the highest point possible.... sorry, but that is Keller.

:character0293:

Here's the difference, one guy is 6'6, the other is 6'2.

I'm not bashing the Keller pick, I like him, just think Hardy would have been better at that spot.

Can we see him play in an actual meaningful game before we put him in either the boom or bust catagory? Please? Maybe this might be possible? Either way, you can't fault Jets fans for not being too optimistic about a Tight End that was taken by the organization in the 1st round. We don't exactly have a past history of successes when that happens. Infact, it has been down right putrid.

Archived