Just curious...How did you become a Jets fan?

InstantClassic

ah... 2002. a frustrating season for jets fans... finished 9-7. coming off a 10-6 record the year before, we were expecting a great season.

but since we were a herm edwards team, we struggled early on... got off to a 1-4 record heading into the bye week. Then the call came: put chad behind center.

and they were off! winning 5 of 6 the jets were in contention at 6-5, then lost to Oak and then beat Denver to be 7-6.

Then it was time to play Chicago. At this time the Pats were 8-5, the dolphins were 8-5. We were 7-6. Playoff money was due. We had split with Miami and were down 0-1 to the Pats. Whoever won the division would be the only team into the playoffs. We still had 3 games left: Chicago (3-10), Pats (8-6) and Green Bay (12-3). We figured we could beat the Bears and maybe the Pats, but not Green Bay.

Then the Jets lost to the lowly Bears. Miami beat oakland, and the Pats lost to Tenn. Dolphins were 9-5. We were 7-7. We had to win both games and get help. Fans were pissed off with the effort and didnt send in their money.

The rest is history... we beat the Pats, Dolphins lose to a lowly Minnesota team. Dolphins still have a one game lead. However, if the Pats could beat the Dolphins and the jets win, we win the division...

Sunday afternoon. Jets play Packers at 4. Miami/Pats on 66 WFAN. Everyone is listening. Miami has 14 point lead. Our season is fading. Pats score... then Dolphins score. 21-7. Then Vinatieri hits a FG at the buzzer to make it 21-10 at the half.

Vinatieri hits a FG in the 3rd quarter. 21-13 end 3. 8:06 remaining Brady is intercepted. 5:02 Mare kicks a FG to make it 24-13. Season is over for us. Fans settling in their seats for a meaningless game. then the magic happened...

Pats march down the field for a TD and 2 pt conversion! 24-21 2:46 left.

they set up for the onside kick but instead kick it deep catching Miami off guard. Miami forced to start from their own 4 yard line. all miami needs is a 1st down and they win the division. But it wasnt meant to be... Instead of running the ball and forcing the Pats to waste their timeouts, Miami passes on 2 straight plays... both incomplete. On 3rd down Fiedler scrambles but short. Timeout Pats. Miami punts to the 34 of MIAMI! 23 yard punt! Pats move the ball 9 yards and kick the tying field goal.

Now the meadowlands erupts into joyus cheers... Off to OT.

Mare kicking off for Miami KICKS THE BALL OUT OF BOUNDS! Pats ball at the 40 yard line... Pats move the ball to the 17 and kick the winning field goal. Giants stadium let out such a roar.. only problem, the players on the field had no clue what was happening. A penalty was called on the Jets just prior to the stadium erupting. The players and refs couldnt understand why we were cheering so loud... then they knew.

Then they kicked the crap out of Green Bay leading us to the division title.

The team we gave up on in week 15 somehow came back to win 2 tough games and make the playoffs. What a terrible car ride home knowing we wouldnt be there for the game against the Colts.

Simply the best memory/game I have everr been to til this day. It was euphoria.

I have to assume that the aliens that kidnapped me in 1960 implanted some sort of Jets fever in my brain, before that I was a Giants fan.

Not only did I get sent back with a sore behind, but a insane devotion to the NY Jets. The cruelty of these creatures knows no bounds.

You didn't think I was going to willingly admit that I have been a Jets fan all these years, of my own choice? That would be insane.

ah... 2002. a frustrating season for jets fans... finished 9-7. coming off a 10-6 record the year before, we were expecting a great season.

but since we were a herm edwards team, we struggled early on... got off to a 1-4 record heading into the bye week. Then the call came: put chad behind center.

and they were off! winning 5 of 6 the jets were in contention at 6-5, then lost to Oak and then beat Denver to be 7-6.

Then it was time to play Chicago. At this time the Pats were 8-5, the dolphins were 8-5. We were 7-6. Playoff money was due. We had split with Miami and were down 0-1 to the Pats. Whoever won the division would be the only team into the playoffs. We still had 3 games left: Chicago (3-10), Pats (8-6) and Green Bay (12-3). We figured we could beat the Bears and maybe the Pats, but not Green Bay.

Then the Jets lost to the lowly Bears. Miami beat oakland, and the Pats lost to Tenn. Dolphins were 9-5. We were 7-7. We had to win both games and get help. Fans were pissed off with the effort and didnt send in their money.

The rest is history... we beat the Pats, Dolphins lose to a lowly Minnesota team. Dolphins still have a one game lead. However, if the Pats could beat the Dolphins and the jets win, we win the division...

Sunday afternoon. Jets play Packers at 4. Miami/Pats on 66 WFAN. Everyone is listening. Miami has 14 point lead. Our season is fading. Pats score... then Dolphins score. 21-7. Then Vinatieri hits a FG at the buzzer to make it 21-10 at the half.

Vinatieri hits a FG in the 3rd quarter. 21-13 end 3. 8:06 remaining Brady is intercepted. 5:02 Mare kicks a FG to make it 24-13. Season is over for us. Fans settling in their seats for a meaningless game. then the magic happened...

they set up for the onside kick but instead kick it deep catching Miami off guard. Miami forced to start from their own 4 yard line. all miami needs is a 1st down and they win the division. But it wasnt meant to be... Instead of running the ball and forcing the Pats to waste their timeouts, Miami passes on 2 straight plays... both incomplete. On 3rd down Fiedler scrambles but short. Timeout Pats. Miami punts to the 34 of MIAMI! 23 yard punt! Pats move the ball 9 yards and kick the tying field goal.

Mare kicking off for Miami KICKS THE BALL OUT OF BOUNDS! Pats ball at the 40 yard line... Pats move the ball to the 17 and kick the winning field goal. Giants stadium let out such a roar.. only problem, the players on the field had no clue what was happening. A penalty was called on the Jets just prior to the stadium erupting. The players and refs couldnt understand why we were cheering so loud... then they knew.

The team we gave up on in week 15 somehow came back to win 2 tough games and make the playoffs. What a terrible car ride home knowing we wouldnt be there for the game against the Colts.

I know how it went down!

Just wasn't sure why season ticket holders wouldn't get first dibs at tickets...

I know how it went down!

Just wasn't sure why season ticket holders wouldn't get first dibs at tickets...

we did, and after the lousy performance against the Bears and the little chance we had, nobody wanted to give up $150 per seat. Why send in 150 bucks per seat to a team that had no chance of making the playoffs? Well, we were wrong!:)

And the Jets didnt want to hear about it after the packer game. They just said too bad. call ticketmaster. what a nice sales team we have.

it actually worked out well for me. I was stuck up here in Mass. in a blizzard. If I would have gone, I wouldnt have made it back for work on monday.

we needed a few very strange events to occur. we wound up with a 3 way tie for !st with pats and fish. we won tiebreaker after blowing out Packers,

I remember that day well. I sang a drunken chorus of "We Are The Champions" with Fireman Ed and a few other guys at 16-H after the game. Kenny Schroy was there, too.

Earlier, we watched the Patsies-Phish game on a portable TV in the parking lot. The score was not in our favor when we went into the stadium for the game, but the Patsies won and the stadium went nuts when the score was posted.

A fun day.

I waited in parking lot and watched pats dolphin game. crazy game. Wannestadt was an idiot. we didnt send in playoff money because it was due right after that horrendous Bears game. We all said no way they make it and especially get a home game. Packer game was awesome. they didnt need game (except for home field) and we stepped it up. Great time had by all.

I waited in parking lot and watched pats dolphin game. crazy game. Wannestadt was an idiot. we didnt send in playoff money because it was due right after that horrendous Bears game. We all said no way they make it and especially get a home game. Packer game was awesome. they didnt need game (except for home field) and we stepped it up. Great time had by all.

it was an amazing game. Its memories like that I will miss once Im no longer going to games. Its just special when you're at a game like that.

i went to 3 jets game my whole life so far.. 96 jets/bills,06 jets giants preseason game and 2002 jets packers game.. my brother is a packer fan and my neighbor is also a packers fan.. so the car ride there we were all arguing and stuff whos better. what an amazing game im so lucky to go to that game. i had bragging rights over my brother and i still bring it up when we compare teams.

i was 3 or 4 and my grandmother gave me a picture of some white guy with writing on it. turned out to be a personalized autograph from greg buttle. after that, every time they played my folks would point to the television and say, "see 51? he's the one that gave you that picture." i thought it was cool that someone from tv land acknowledged me; especially considering i had been waiting for that broad on romper room to say my name at the end of that damn show just once... c**t

:rl:

u ppl sound like bunch of old ladys talking about how u fell in looove with your hubbies. its priceless :rl:

i moved to staten island for 2 years when i was like 15 or something. and most of my friends were italians who loved hair-jels, jets and yankees.

i dont like hair jels so i just stayed with jets and yankees

Not really sure, I liked them in 2002 and I started playing with them in Madden a lot. Over time they just became my team. I really became passionate about the Jets and the NFL in 2004 after the emotional playoff games, before then I wasn't incredibly bothered with either.

I should have just hopped onto the Pats bandwagon like most of the other NFL 'fans' over here.

I remember that day well. I sang a drunken chorus of "We Are The Champions" with Fireman Ed and a few other guys at 16-H after the game. Kenny Schroy was there, too.

Earlier, we watched the Patsies-Phish game on a portable TV in the parking lot. The score was not in our favor when we went into the stadium for the game, but the Patsies won and the stadium went nuts when the score was posted.

A fun day.

wow - that's um.....okay....wow.....:shutit:

that was my first year in my new house here in the Poconos. I had NFL sunday ticket and was clicking back and forth between the 3 games (i couldn't figure out how to work pip yet) awesome feeling!!

I remember it like it was yesterday.

I grew up a 49ers fan because I LOVED Jerry Rice, and as a kid I guess my philosophy was "Whatever team my favorite player plays for is my favorite team". My father is a Dolphins fan, so at least I didn't go that route.

But September 20th, 1997, my father came home from work and said his friend couldn't go to the Jets game the next day, and asked if I liked the Jets. I had never been to a game before in my life, so I said "yeah." The next day, September 21st, 1997, the Jets hosted the Raiders. It was the most exciting game I have ever been to, probably to this day, where the Jets won 23-22 on a blocked punt I think.

From that day forward, I was hooked. And I have bled Jets green for 11 years now since the age of 11.

What's your story?

Good thread IC ! I followed Joe Willie when he left Alabama. I was mostly a college fan then but the started to follow the jets when they signed him. It didn't hurt either that my dad was a lifelong Giants fan ;) .

I remember it like it was yesterday.

I grew up a 49ers fan because I LOVED Jerry Rice, and as a kid I guess my philosophy was "Whatever team my favorite player plays for is my favorite team". My father is a Dolphins fan, so at least I didn't go that route.

But September 20th, 1997, my father came home from work and said his friend couldn't go to the Jets game the next day, and asked if I liked the Jets. I had never been to a game before in my life, so I said "yeah." The next day, September 21st, 1997, the Jets hosted the Raiders. It was the most exciting game I have ever been to, probably to this day, where the Jets won 23-22 on a blocked punt I think.

From that day forward, I was hooked. And I have bled Jets green for 11 years now since the age of 11.

What's your story?

Used to be a Patriots fan cause I lived in Massachusetts and I loved Curtis Martin, so I followed him when he went to the Jets. I just wish he could've won a ring in '96 with the Pats when they went and lost in the Superbowl.

Archived