Just curious...How did you become a Jets fan?

InstantClassic

I remember it like it was yesterday.

I grew up a 49ers fan because I LOVED Jerry Rice, and as a kid I guess my philosophy was "Whatever team my favorite player plays for is my favorite team". My father is a Dolphins fan, so at least I didn't go that route.

But September 20th, 1997, my father came home from work and said his friend couldn't go to the Jets game the next day, and asked if I liked the Jets. I had never been to a game before in my life, so I said "yeah." The next day, September 21st, 1997, the Jets hosted the Raiders. It was the most exciting game I have ever been to, probably to this day, where the Jets won 23-22 on a blocked punt I think.

From that day forward, I was hooked. And I have bled Jets green for 11 years now since the age of 11.

What's your story?

I remember it like it was yesterday.

I grew up a 49ers fan because I LOVED Jerry Rice, and as a kid I guess my philosophy was "Whatever team my favorite player plays for is my favorite team". My father is a Dolphins fan, so at least I didn't go that route.

But September 20th, 1997, my father came home from work and said his friend couldn't go to the Jets game the next day, and asked if I liked the Jets. I had never been to a game before in my life, so I said "yeah." The next day, September 21st, 1997, the Jets hosted the Raiders. It was the most exciting game I have ever been to, probably to this day, where the Jets won 23-22 on a blocked punt I think.

From that day forward, I was hooked. And I have bled Jets green for 11 years now since the age of 11.

What's your story?

i was wrapped in a JETS blanket when i came out of the womb. (true story) my dad did not give me a choice.

i too also grew up a Jerry rice fan

kinda lame, but here goes. i think i mighta been three or four, and a game was on, some green team was playing (jets) i asked my dad he said those are the jets. i said they are my favorite team because they wear my favorite color.

now life is often difficult because my dad is a diehard Pats fan

When I was born, my Mother had a doctor who had, for a few years, cured her of cancer. His name was Joe. My Dad was a Jets and an Eagles fan and wanted to name me Joe after Joe Namath, his favorite player on either team at that point. My Uncle who was a Giants fan after hearing this decided, with my Dad, they would buy me all kinds of Jets stuff, including a bib and a Namath figureine. When I was seven, my Dad got season tickets and I've been going ever since.

Ever since, I've been hooked.

Jets all the way.

When I was born, my Mother had a doctor who had, for a few years, cured her of cancer. His name was Joe. My Dad was a Jets and an Eagles fan and wanted to name me Joe after Joe Namath, his favorite player on either team at that point. My Uncle who was a Giants fan after hearing this decided, with my Dad, they would buy me all kinds of Jets stuff, including a bib and a Namath figureine. When I was seven, my Dad got season tickets and I've been going ever since.

Jets all the way.

How about in 98 i did my "confirmation" and my parents let me pick any confirmation name i wanted. It was 1998 and I thought the JETS were headed to the super bowl and the i took the leaders name and chose VINNY. Til this day I think that that was the day my dad knew he raised me right haha.

Jets all the way.

no kidding, joe. i think it also was fate that i became a Jets fan. My mom is a huge jets fan, one day she told me that she has always had a crush on Joe Namath. that's why she named me Joe

in 1996 i was about 7 my dad took me to a jets bills game... my dad was a bills fan his whole life but when they lost to the giants(hates them more then he likes any team) in the super bowl he just started hating them so like he didnt have a favorite team till 96 and he started liking the jets.i was 7 and my dad was rooting for jets so i went with him. The jets lost that game but since then i called my self a jets fan but i reaLLy started watching in 98.

Like many I was born into it, my grandfather had been a season ticket holder since the sixties, he and my dad would go all the time (my dad still ha the program from the afl championship game in 68) so when I came of age I was dragged to games, my first was actually the Dennis Byrd game though I dont remember it save for the stories of my mom fraking out in the stands thinking we just saw a guy die.

I'll say I didnt become a die hard until the late 90's when they got Curtis and started to actuall win games (its difficult for a 7 to 9 year old to really love a team coached by the likes of Rich Kotite).

So long story short it's my dad's fault I am in this predicament and procede to blame him every season for sticking me with this damn team, knowing it'll make it all the sweeter when we finally do hoist the Lombardi trophy (sooner than later hopefully)

When I fell in love with the game of football as a kid, I read everything about football and the history of the NFL that I came across. I don't know exactly, but I think it was the Namath guarantee that made me a Jets fan. The way he, the leader of the underdog team, had the balls to go out and promise a win and then deliver on it, just blew me away.

I also always liked the look of the Jets and the Logo. Simple and classic.

two reasons:

1. Dad was a Jets fan

2. It always seemed the Jets played the early game every week, so after watching 3 hours of football, my little add head needed to go do something else. Plus the Giants were boring as hell.

what sealed it for me was when my father's friend gave us his 50yd line seats.

My brother was a Jets fan in the late 80's and early to mid 90's then he switched up for whatever reason and became a Steelers fan. Being as he was someone I looked up to, that's why I started liking the Jets. I still to this day try and try to convert him back......no luck.

i was wrapped in a JETS blanket when i came out of the womb. (true story) my dad did not give me a choice.

aside from the jets blanket, that was me as well. It was chear for the yanks and the jets or find a new roof to sleep under. :)

I have since stopped liking the yankees but always stuck with the Jets. I guess they were the loveable losers and i always liked their team make up, it just seemed like they were inches from putting it all together and going to the big dance. Still waiting on that one...

Being from Long Island my Dad has been a huge Jets fan all his life and had me wearing a Jets beanie as soon as I popped out of my Mom's womb, needless to say I've been a hardcore Jets fan ever since. Here is a picture of my sister and I as early Jets:

l_e31f6e1500d245ecdcaa7be97ae5da2b.jpg

Being from Long Island my Dad has been a huge Jets fan all his life and had me wearing a Jets beanie as soon as I popped out of my Mom's womb, needless to say I've been a hardcore Jets fan ever since. Here is a picture of my sister and I as early Jets:

l_e31f6e1500d245ecdcaa7be97ae5da2b.jpg

Topless pics ftw!

My folks were jint fans, but my best friend's parents had season tix to the Jets. I was going to a game or two a year by the time I was 7 or 8 years old. I was definitely sold on Gang Green early on. Always had a bit of a rebellious streak. I'm not sure if the masochism was innate, or came about after years of Jet fan conditioning.

I was Packer fan growing up in the 70's . An older neighbor/friend approached me in the early 80's, about splitting a pair of season seats as Jets tickets were available. I soon became a avid Jets fan and have been attending every game since we first got them (2 years at shea). My three kids grew up @ the stadium as we got an extra set with the move. And with them being so bad it was never a problem to get extra tickets. They just dont get it when Jets are good and extra seats are a premium. (i long for those games). I never sent in playoff money in 02 (like 50,000 other fans) but wound up with 8 seats on the rail of the mezzazine @ a ticket master. Wife three kids partner and 2 jets fan had a great seat for colt romp!

My dad was a huge Jet fan his whole life mostly because of Joe Nameth so when i was little and could realize what was what.. and mind i grew my in south florida i became a Jets fan just because the Dolphins were are rivals and I absolutly hate Dan Marino..

so Gang Green for me all the way.. i still have a Boomer jersey hangin in the closet..lol

My dad is a huge Bears fan, and in 86 he was randomly offered Jets season tix. We held onto them until the '99 season. I just fell in love with the team. I developed Ray Finkle syndrome spending most of my life HATING Dan Marino. I still hate the Dolphins more than any team in the world, and I think I will forever.

I was Packer fan growing up in the 70's . An older neighbor/friend approached me in the early 80's, about splitting a pair of season seats as Jets tickets were available. I soon became a avid Jets fan and have been attending every game since we first got them (2 years at shea). My three kids grew up @ the stadium as we got an extra set with the move. And with them being so bad it was never a problem to get extra tickets. They just dont get it when Jets are good and extra seats are a premium. (i long for those games). I never sent in playoff money in 02 (like 50,000 other fans) but wound up with 8 seats on the rail of the mezzazine @ a ticket master. Wife three kids partner and 2 jets fan had a great seat for colt romp!

Why wasn't anyone sending in playoff money?

Why wasn't anyone sending in playoff money?

ah... 2002. a frustrating season for jets fans... finished 9-7. coming off a 10-6 record the year before, we were expecting a great season.

but since we were a herm edwards team, we struggled early on... got off to a 1-4 record heading into the bye week. Then the call came: put chad behind center.

and they were off! winning 5 of 6 the jets were in contention at 6-5, then lost to Oak and then beat Denver to be 7-6.

Then it was time to play Chicago. At this time the Pats were 8-5, the dolphins were 8-5. We were 7-6. Playoff money was due. We had split with Miami and were down 0-1 to the Pats. Whoever won the division would be the only team into the playoffs. We still had 3 games left: Chicago (3-10), Pats (8-6) and Green Bay (12-3). We figured we could beat the Bears and maybe the Pats, but not Green Bay.

Then the Jets lost to the lowly Bears. Miami beat oakland, and the Pats lost to Tenn. Dolphins were 9-5. We were 7-7. We had to win both games and get help. Fans were pissed off with the effort and didnt send in their money.

The rest is history... we beat the Pats, Dolphins lose to a lowly Minnesota team. Dolphins still have a one game lead. However, if the Pats could beat the Dolphins and the jets win, we win the division...

Sunday afternoon. Jets play Packers at 4. Miami/Pats on 66 WFAN. Everyone is listening. Miami has 14 point lead. Our season is fading. Pats score... then Dolphins score. 21-7. Then Vinatieri hits a FG at the buzzer to make it 21-10 at the half.

Vinatieri hits a FG in the 3rd quarter. 21-13 end 3. 8:06 remaining Brady is intercepted. 5:02 Mare kicks a FG to make it 24-13. Season is over for us. Fans settling in their seats for a meaningless game. then the magic happened...

Pats march down the field for a TD and 2 pt conversion! 24-21 2:46 left.

they set up for the onside kick but instead kick it deep catching Miami off guard. Miami forced to start from their own 4 yard line. all miami needs is a 1st down and they win the division. But it wasnt meant to be... Instead of running the ball and forcing the Pats to waste their timeouts, Miami passes on 2 straight plays... both incomplete. On 3rd down Fiedler scrambles but short. Timeout Pats. Miami punts to the 34 of MIAMI! 23 yard punt! Pats move the ball 9 yards and kick the tying field goal.

Now the meadowlands erupts into joyus cheers... Off to OT.

Mare kicking off for Miami KICKS THE BALL OUT OF BOUNDS! Pats ball at the 40 yard line... Pats move the ball to the 17 and kick the winning field goal. Giants stadium let out such a roar.. only problem, the players on the field had no clue what was happening. A penalty was called on the Jets just prior to the stadium erupting. The players and refs couldnt understand why we were cheering so loud... then they knew.

Then they kicked the crap out of Green Bay leading us to the division title.

The team we gave up on in week 15 somehow came back to win 2 tough games and make the playoffs. What a terrible car ride home knowing we wouldnt be there for the game against the Colts.

when I came out of the womb the Dr. dropped me on my head, and green blood trickled down my face!

but seriously, In all my little kid pics I'm in Jets gear. Plus I was born in 1969, my older bother is named Joe (who is a fish fan) or my mom would have called me Joe! My dad was a Skins fan in the 80's but I think he liked the Jets in 69. Who didn't?

My dad said to me when I was a small child, "Son, you can root for any teams you want. But if you root for any team other than the Jets. Mets and Rangers I will sell you to the circus :)

Actually my dad was then and still is a big fan of all three All of his buddies were Giants fans and he hated the Giants. He had Giants season tickets at Yankee Stadium and he would go there to root against the Giants. He had them until a year or two before the Giants moved to the Meadowlands. His favorite team was anyone playing the Giants. Seeing him give the Giants fans a load of sh!t was a kick. But, he always wanted a local team to root for. When the Titans came in he jumped on board. He has been a fan of them ever since. It was bred into me I guess. Also, when I was about 7 or 8 Randy Rasmussen did an autograph session at the Sears NFL Pro Shop (in E Brunswick I think). My dad and I talked to him for a few minutes. I was in complete awe of him. He was a great guy. Very nice. That solidified my feelings towards the Jets. I still have the little booklet he autographed somewhere in my collectibles.

Archived