Skins trade for Dolphins' Taylor after Phillips goes down

BP

Skins trade for Dolphins Taylor after Phillips goes down

ESPN.com news services

After losing defensive end Phillip Daniels for the season, the Washington Redskins moved quickly to fill the void.

The Redskins acquired Jason Taylor from the Miami Dolphins.

The Dolphins will receive a second-round pick in 2009 and a sixth-rounder in 2010.

Daniels, a starter, was hurt on the initial play of 7-on-7 offense vs. defense drills on Sunday. He stayed down on the turf for several minutes before being taken away on a cart, a towel draped over his head. He's expected to have surgery Friday.

"Not a good way to start, at all," middle linebacker London Fletcher said. "It's a big blow to our defense. Phil was a tremendous leader, excellent at playing the run, and was going to be our third-down attack guy. With him going down, it's like we're replacing two guys."

ESPN.com's John Clayton first reported Daniels' season-ending injury and the fact that the Redskins were pursuing Taylor.

Washington executive vice president Vinny Cerrato said Taylor is expected to report to Redskins training camp on Monday.

The Redskins also lost another defensive end, reserve Alex Buzbee, to a season-ending injury during their afternoon practice. Buzbee ruptured his Achilles tendon.

"With Phillip gone, and now Buzbee gone, there's a hole there," head coach Jim Zorn said. "And Phillip has created a big hole."

Day 1 of Zorn's training camp debut as an NFL head coach also included this sight: Cornerback Fred Smoot threw off his left shoe and clearly was in pain after wideout Santana Moss landed on him during the afternoon practice. It turned out Smoot sprained his ankle and is expected to only miss a week or less.

"I love sprained ankles now, because we know that's just a few days' deal," Zorn said, cracking a smile.

He was more serious while speaking about the loss of Daniels, who has played 12 seasons in the NFL with Washington, Chicago and Seattle. His 59 career sacks rank 17th among active players.

"The hard part is he was so ready, and he did everything that he could possibly do to not just have a great training camp but an excellent football season," Zorn said. "And now he's got a new challenge before him, and of course we have a new challenge before us."

The Redskins began training camp with Erasmus James sidelined. He's a former first-round pick who has had serious knee injuries, and Zorn said he doesn't expect James to be able to begin practicing until next month.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

link

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I knew it was coming sooner or later. Could turn out to be a very good trade for the Skins who desperately needed a pass-rusher.

Edit: Looking at it again I see they gave up a 2nd rounder, that is far too much for a guy who will likely ony have one year left. Not sure if that is worth it in the long run.

True. So you are saying Gholston is going to be the G.O.A.T.?

What's G.O.A.T.?

I think Gholston is going to be very good. and he's going to give the Jets something they haven't had since Abraham, a legitimate pass rusher.

Taylor will disappear in DC, and the Phins will still have a crappy record this season, thanks in part to Parcell's ever-growing ego.

Nice knowing you, pretty-boy. His most cherished accomplishment will be as a runner-up in a dance competition, not as a Super Bowl champion.

What's G.O.A.T.?

I think Gholston is going to be very good. and he's going to give the Jets something they haven't had since Abraham, a legitimate pass rusher.

I am sorry. I forgot about the Jets' history of ineptitude. You probably have no experience in seeing a player in Kelley Green being a G.O.A.T. ;)

Greatest Of All-Time.

I am sorry. I forgot about the Jets' history of ineptitude. You probably have no experience in seeing a player in Kelley Green being a G.O.A.T. ;)

Greatest Of All-Time.

Did you give TX access to your account? :-$

So yeah, how about those 6 games we're hearing from Dolphins fans that Miami is supposed to win. That number just dropped to 2. :lol:
Bro I don't think you want that to happen again, because we will be getting another high draft pick. I said 7-9 with JT there, now I will say realistically 5-11. I think the trade works best for both teams right now.

I don't see why you guys are celebratory over this. Getting a 2nd and a 6th for a guy that is only going to play one more year is a hell of a deal. Besides, Taylor wasn't even that great last year. He racked up some sacks in garbage time but in the first half of the season our pass rush was completely non-existant.

Bro I don't think you want that to happen again, because we will be getting another high draft pick. I said 7-9 with JT there, now I will say realistically 5-11. I think the trade works best for both teams right now.

We were 1-15 WITH Taylor. He wasn't responsible for any wins last year, he wasn't going to be responsible for any wins this year.

We're going to miss Zach Thomas way more than Taylor.

I don't see why you guys are celebratory over this. Getting a 2nd and a 6th for a guy that is only going to play one more year is a hell of a deal. Besides, Taylor wasn't even that great last year. He racked up some sacks in garbage time but in the first half of the season our pass rush was completely non-existant.

It's more about being personal because of his big mouth and incessant whining about Jets fans in general.

It's more about being personal because of his big mouth and incessant whining about Jets fans in general.

I missed the JT that would talk trash to the Jets fans and loved playing the division rivals. I actually just watched the 2006 Christmas game the other day and you could tell JT desperatley wanted that win. I didn't see that passion out of him one single time last year.

I missed the JT that would talk trash to the Jets fans and loved playing the division rivals. I actually just watched the 2006 Christmas game the other day and you could tell JT desperatley wanted that win. I didn't see that passion out of him one single time last year.

His passion, I think , has turned to Hollywood. When he said, and I'm paraphrashing, " 10 years from now I want to be known as a great actor not a great football player" that was THE END in Parcells book.

His passion, I think , has turned to Hollywood. When he said, and I'm paraphrashing, " 10 years from now I want to be known as a great actor not a great football player" that was THE END in Parcells book.

While that left a bit of a sour taste in my mouth, I think you've taken it out of context a bit. When he says that, he's implying that he hopes his acting career takes off after football. If he's known as a football player 10 years from now, that means he didn't make in Hollywood.

I do agree that his mind and passion are out of football, though. And that's why it was a hell of a deal for us.

That was a crappy hand of poker that the Tuna played. He could have had more before the draft, but now everyone knows that JT only wants to play one more year.

Glad hew won't be lining up against the D-Brick.

BZ

We tried to spur a 2nd rounder away from both Tampa Bay and Jacksonville prior the draft, they weren't biting. They played this hand beautifully by waiting for a key player to get hurt rather than settling for lesser value before a team became desperate.

Archived