Woody: Jets O-line is ``best group'' ever been apart of

C-Mart28

Woody: Jets O-line is ``best group'' ever been apart of

by Dave Hutchinson Tuesday July 29, 2008, 1:19 PM

Spoke to right tackle Damien Woody this morning and he's not lacking confidence despite the fact he has started only five games at the position. In fact, after talking to him I was convinced he's headed to the Pro Bowl again.

More importantly, he's convinced the Jets have a big-time offensive line with the addition of he and Alan Faneca. The pair join veteran RG Brandon Moore, LT D'Brickashaw Ferguson and C Nick Mangold.

``I'm not going to make any predictions about our line but I will say this is the best group I've ever been apart of in my whole career,'' said Woody, who started at center on two New England Patriots Super Bowl teams. He got injured in the 2003 season in Week 15 and missed the postseason.

Woody, a 10th-year pro, was a Pro Bowl center in 2002 in New England and played with Detriot the past four seasons. He moved to guard midway through his final season with the Patriots and played guard there his first three-and-a-half seasons in Detroit before finishing last season at right tackle.

``I feel comfortable there,'' he said. ``I have a lot of confidence in my athletic ability, the things I can do. I've played a long time in this league. It (right tackle) isn't much different (than center or guard). You're just dealing with a different brand of player on the edge.

``As long as I know what to do, I have total confidence. That has never been an issue for me.''

After watching tape of him at right tackle, the Jets were convinced he could play the position as he more than held his own in games against the Chargers, Cowboys and the Packers, each of whom had good edge rushers. Coach Eric Mangini, who was in New England with Woody, said the 6-foot-3, 335-pounder has ``good feet'' and ``really good hands.''

Woody, an unrestricted free agent, signed a five-year, $25.5 million deal that included $11.2 million guaranteed.

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2008/07/woody_jets_oline_is_best_group.html

Let's hope he's right

when you hear a player talk like that you know it's not far from the truth. everyone of the offensive lineman i've heard interviewed are excited about how good this OL can be. barring injury i expect this OL to be one of the best in the league this year. which is good news for pennington. ;)

If he turns out to be right. Then our offense will be much, much better than I thought it would be this season. I think it will be a good line. Woody seems convinced that it could be a great one.

i would agree with that. I really want to see Woody in action since i have never even a picture of the guy, let alone footage of him at RT.

LOL!!!

You guys kill me!!!

Woody sucks. You'll see.

However, watched a pats pre-season camp show last nite (and I am of the firm belief that what you see in Camp means pretty much nothing) - and saw an interview with Dan Koppen - center. He was asked who he thought was the best center he's ever seen and know what he said? Nick Mangold. Said the guy is 'gonna be a star.

LOL!!!

You guys kill me!!!

Woody sucks. You'll see.

However, watched a pats pre-season camp show last nite (and I am of the firm belief that what you see in Camp means pretty much nothing) - and saw an interview with Dan Koppen - center. He was asked who he thought was the best center he's ever seen and know what he said? Nick Mangold. Said the guy is 'gonna be a star.

koppen really said that. that's interesting. and btw, you're comment about woody was insulting. woody doesn't suck. you should apologize, otherwise, we can't be responsible for woody's actions during the season.

I think D'Brick is primed to finally show his potential. He seems to have finally put on some weight, won the Jets award for off-season strength conditioning and has been unbeatable in drills so far from what I have seen and others have reported. Mangold was already good and should get better with another year's experience. You can debate exactly how good Woody is, but compared to Anthony Clement, he is Art Shell. Fanaca is an all pro. Brandon Moore is acceptable when he is your fifth best o-lineman and can hide at RG, the least important position in the line.

This o-line will be a huge upgrade over last year.

I think D'Brick is primed to finally show his potential. He seems to have finally put on some weight, won the Jets award for off-season strength conditioning and has been unbeatable in drills so far from what I have seen and others have reported. Mangold was already good and should get better with another year's experience. You can debate exactly how good Woody is, but compared to Anthony Clement, he is Art Shell. Fanaca is an all pro. Brandon Moore is acceptable when he is your fifth best o-lineman and can hide at RG, the least important position in the line.

This o-line will be a huge upgrade over last year.

that's what i like about this line...moore is the worst player on it and he isn't even that bad. Even if Woody is average to a little above average we still upgraded in a big way.

Faneca over a decent o-line with Kendall is big but lets face it, he's replacing a guard that should not even be on an NFL roster.

It's not that these guys need to be stars, they just need to not suck horrible gonads to be an improvement.

LOL!!!

You guys kill me!!!

Woody sucks. You'll see.

Well it could be argue that "sucks" is an upgrade over some of the line-play from last year :-P

If he turns out to be right. Then our offense will be much, much better than I thought it would be this season. I think it will be a good line. Woody seems convinced that it could be a great one.

If he feels good about it...that is good enough for me...so do I !

ya know everytime i see woody i think the owner is saying something. i keep forgetting that they signed damien

To be honest I thought the same thing when I first saw this, the thought didnt even cross my mind til I began to read it, just a force of habit I guess

It is? I thought it was a line of **** that overpriced players try to sell to seem confident. After four years on Detroit Damien Woody probably has no idea what a decent offensive line looks like.

you shouldn't be so hard on him. Detroit was a bad situation for him. i don't think he's just giving lip service. if anything he's raising the bar to have to perform better. it's obvious there's a lot of excitement amongst the OL that this is a special unit that can accomplish good things this year. when was the last year we had a really good OL?

LOL!!!

You guys kill me!!!

Woody sucks. You'll see.

Woody doesn't suck and your still peeved he`bailed..Illl take Woody over the drug addict..pill poppin...snitch that is Nick Kazur..WHAT!!

you shouldn't be so hard on him. Detroit was a bad situation for him. i don't think he's just giving lip service. if anything he's raising the bar to have to perform better. it's obvious there's a lot of excitement amongst the OL that this is a special unit that can accomplish good things this year. when was the last year we had a really good OL?

Eh, the guy went to Detroit for the money and the past two years he has started less than half the games. I prefer he says this than that they will suck, but lip service is exactly what I think it is.

The Jets had a pretty good offensive line for years. Curtis Martin wasn't getting all those yards because he's a magician. They had a good O-line in '04. '05 was a lost season due to injuries, age and the failure to replace McKenzie. In '06 they spent two first rounders and still haven't been good. I hope they are awesome, but frankly IMO Woody is the likely weak link, not Moore. Moore is serviceable. Woody is an uknown entity at tackle and an injury risk.

Archived