Bret Ratliff IS OUR JETS FUTURE

00tonytone

Not only because of those 2 long TD's to Clowney, Bret Ratliff has looked like he's in comand in the huddle, with great poise and decision making. I think the JETS have KC as the 2 QB for trade bait. There is no way KC starts over Bret Ratliff, its all about who has had the better performance in preseason and we die hard jets fans know who it is, its no secret. Bret Ratliff's success is the reason the jets kept 4qb's. This is not a jets fan praising a player on his team. this is a realistic view not opinion on how Bret has progressed. Anybody dissagree ?

Yes. Lets hail the guy who has yet to take a real NFL snap as the saviour. He's clearly proven that he has what it takes.

:roll:

I'm not getting my hopes too high on some preaseason games.

Do you just sit there all day waiting for a Ratliff thread so that you can jump in and denounce him?

What did the OP say exactly that you disagree with? What exactly has Clemens done that you want to hand him the starting job and refuse to even look at Ratliff in the future? Clemens has taken real snaps and he sucks. How has he proven he is better and thus gets your respect over Ratliff?

i dont dissagree with you on that but its weird coming from you who thought penny mcnoodle-arm was our savior

"Penny McNoodle Arm", when healthy, has shown he is a quality starting QB. Kellen Clemens has not shown that yet. So if he can be beaten out in training camp and the preseason by a second year pro with no experience-well, no experience is only a little less experience than Clemens has.

"Penny McNoodle Arm", when healthy, has shown he is a quality starting QB. Kellen Clemens has not shown that yet. So if he can be beaten out in training camp and the preseason by a second year pro with no experience-well, no experience is only a little less experience than Clemens has.

Here's a cold hard fact for some of you...if Favre where to get hurt and miss a few games,yes "if"... Clemens would be the starter,not Ratliff,he has no meaningful experience with the first team in the regular season.

Not only because of those 2 long TD's to Clowney, Bret Ratliff has looked like he's in comand in the huddle, with great poise and decision making. I think the JETS have KC as the 2 QB for trade bait. There is no way KC starts over Bret Ratliff, its all about who has had the better performance in preseason and we die hard jets fans know who it is, its no secret. Bret Ratliff's success is the reason the jets kept 4qb's. This is not a jets fan praising a player on his team. this is a realistic view not opinion on how Bret has progressed. Anybody dissagree ?

Okay, this will be my last time making a comment about this subject for a bit given that I know a few fellow JetNationers are kinda wanting to read something different. This is my overall feeling on this situation.

Kellen Clemens has shown "so far" that he is not poised in the pocket. This in my opinion is what causes his happy feet and not so accurate passes. Its not that he cant play, its that he's not fluent in the pocket.

Brat Ratliff has been able to get into a rhythm where he can show consistency and production. He's poised in the pocket. even if he isnt as good a QB as Clemens he'll always succeed as long as he's able to be able to "feel" the pocket and the bodies around him.

Now, we both know Clemens can throw the football and make big time plays. But know one can argue the fact that he isnt "feeling" his sounding in almost an unconcious way. Every time that pocket begins to close clemens if you will "buckles" alittle bit. which he'll begin to think instead of fluently going with the flow of the pocket. this is where his slight happy feet comes in. The problem with that is soon after, maybe a second later he has to get that pass off. what happens is that he gets good velocity under the ball but the accuracy is off because he's not in the proper stance. This is also why the WR's cant handle the football.

With Ratliff, the reason why everyone is in awe, isnt because of his numbers, its how he dances within the pocket. Please, if anyone has these games Tivo'd just look at the way Ratliff flows within the pocket. Its almost like a boxer, you see his feet and his form remains in a passing position and he lets his bounce menuver him. This is why his passes are so accurate, but most of all him being consistent. He seems to understand what guys are open or covered on the field, in a situation like that he only has to find the open receiver, once he does then his presence in the pocket and the way he can feel the pocket mentally allows him to maintain his throwing position which in return shows that he can throw accurate, fast, SMART passes which now the D has to play honest and that allows for the run to open up even more.

This isnt about bashing Clemens, this is about seening what Ratliff is doing out there.

Okay, this will be my last time making a comment about this subject for a bit given that I know a few fellow JetNationers are kinda wanting to read something different. This is my overall feeling on this situation.

Kellen Clemens has shown "so far" that he is not poised in the pocket. This in my opinion is what causes his happy feet and not so accurate passes. Its not that he cant play, its that he's not fluent in the pocket.

Brat Ratliff has been able to get into a rhythm where he can show consistency and production. He's poised in the pocket. even if he isnt as good a QB as Clemens he'll always succeed as long as he's able to be able to "feel" the pocket and the bodies around him.

Now, we both know Clemens can throw the football and make big time plays. But know one can argue the fact that he isnt "feeling" his sounding in almost an unconcious way. Every time that pocket begins to close clemens if you will "buckles" alittle bit. which he'll begin to think instead of fluently going with the flow of the pocket. this is where his slight happy feet comes in. The problem with that is soon after, maybe a second later he has to get that pass off. what happens is that he gets good velocity under the ball but the accuracy is off because he's not in the proper stance. This is also why the WR's cant handle the football.

With Ratliff, the reason why everyone is in awe, isnt because of his numbers, its how he dances within the pocket. Please, if anyone has these games Tivo'd just look at the way Ratliff flows within the pocket. Its almost like a boxer, you see his feet and his form remains in a passing position and he lets his bounce menuver him. This is why his passes are so accurate, but most of all him being consistent. He seems to understand what guys are open or covered on the field, in a situation like that he only has to find the open receiver, once he does then his presence in the pocket and the way he can feel the pocket mentally allows him to maintain his throwing position which in return shows that he can throw accurate, fast, SMART passes which now the D has to play honest and that allows for the run to open up even more.

This isnt about bashing Clemens, this is about seening what Ratliff is doing out there.

Excellent post. And yes, you can't go too crazy over somebody just from pre-season games, but, you can see certain things (such as what you have pointed out) that indicate someone may have real potential.

Here's a cold hard fact for some of you...if Favre where to get hurt and miss a few games,yes "if"... Clemens would be the starter,not Ratliff,he has no meaningful experience with the first team in the regular season.

As Clemens is listed as the Number 2 QB, then it would normally be assumed he is the one who would come in. However, he was far outplayed in the preseason by a man who has only one year less experience than he, there was speculation that he was being demoted to Number 3 behind this guy, and four quarterbacks on the roster is fairly unheard of. All of this seems to point in the direction that the Jets are keeping Clemens in the extra roster spot created by Chatman's suspension in the hopes of dealing him.

So yes, for now, if Favre went down I would expect Clemens to come in. But an awful lot of people think the Jets are just listing him as Number 2 so they can get something for him and that Ratliff will shortly move into the Number 2 slot.

I know it was preseason, but its the way he looks in the pocket that shows alot of promise and he was playing alot of times with WR's that arent to talented. Ratliff is going to take over after Favre retires, KC is going on 3 rd season and all he has is " A lot of dropped passes".

Ratliff has the potential to be a great Qb. How many more years do jetsfans want to give KC for him to show he can run an offense efficiantly

JETSfans have gone out on a limb for players that have showed nothing. This kid can get the ball in the end zone and thats what is about.

To be honest I'm looking forward not just to see Favre play, but also to see Ratliff play after Favre retires. Ratliff is going to learn under Favre and IMO it will be very interesting to watch.

When was the last time Jets fans had reason to be this optomistic about a current QB and the QB of the future??? :cheers:

There U go V the Foe, The reason Bratliff is going to be a good QB, is The way he looks in the pocket. He feels the preasure of the defender and creates things with his legs, that cant be coached, either you have it or you dont. I'm telling you Bret Ratliff is the ONE

Do you just sit there all day waiting for a Ratliff thread so that you can jump in and denounce him?

What did the OP say exactly that you disagree with? What exactly has Clemens done that you want to hand him the starting job and refuse to even look at Ratliff in the future? Clemens has taken real snaps and he sucks. How has he proven he is better and thus gets your respect over Ratliff?

I never said that I have much respect for Clemens. In fact I'd probably put Ratliff over him right now. This is the part I disagreed with:

"Bret Ratliff IS OUR JETS FUTURE"

No, I'm not looking to "denounce" him at every oppurtunity, just point out that he hasn't proven anything yet. Sure he may have great command of the huddle with the 2nd/3rd stringers and when he's playing against scrubs operating vanilla defenses. How do you know he'll be in such command with the starters, going against elite defense, with complex blitz packages coming at him left, right and centre.

Again I'm not writing him off at all, I'm not saying that at all. I'd love more than anything for Ratliff to turn out to be a stud. I'm just not convinced with him yet and don't see any reason to be too excited.

when he was healthy last time he threw an interception in the playoffs against the patriots. and lost the game for us. nice quality pick 6

I never said that I have much respect for Clemens. In fact I'd probably put Ratliff over him right now. This is the part I disagreed with:

"Bret Ratliff IS OUR JETS FUTURE"

No, I'm not looking to "denounce" him at every oppurtunity, just point out that he hasn't proven anything yet. Sure he may have great command of the huddle with the 2nd/3rd stringers and when he's playing against scrubs operating vanilla defenses. How do you know he'll be in such command with the starters, going against elite defense, with complex blitz packages coming at him left, right and centre.

Again I'm not writing him off at all, I'm not saying that at all. I'd love more than anything for Ratliff to turn out to be a stud. I'm just not convinced with him yet and don't see any reason to be too excited.

What is wrong here? We're not saying to make Ratliff the starter. We're saying he has skills and talents that the Jets really need to take a look at. I doubt that Ratliff will be lights out all of a sudden, but he shows through his play that its a possibility. Clemens has shown nothing this preseason and its not like his stats and record from last season saves him from falling down the string of QB's any further. You talk about these complex blitz packages and such, yet how would Ratliff get a taste of that action as a 3rd string? Its like people damn us for feeling that he should have a shot. Look at Clemens, he had his shot and what he did with it is what he did with it. Ratliff knew that once Ainge was drafted that he was on egg shells. What did he do??? Ratliff went out there and played the games of his ****ing life. HE RESPONDS TO PRESSURE. This is a great thing people! Why are so many people taking this out of context?

when he was healthy last time he threw an interception in the playoffs against the patriots. and lost the game for us. nice quality pick 6

And without him or a quality quarterback like him, we don't get anywhere NEAR the playoffs.

When Kendall left the front line was exposed, and we realized in that 2006 that Chad got us to the playoffs with only three out of five linemen being NFL quality. And a defense which consisted of giving up massive yardage while waiting for Rhodes to make the big play. With no running game at all, Chad gave us 3 minutes TOP per game more than the opponent, which kept our porous defense off the field.

Playing ball control with no running game is the mark of an extremely competent quarterback, which Chad is. No Favre, but a quality QB.

I agree 100%. We should all be excited about Ratliff as the future at QB

• 4 weeks later...

Archived