Did Gholsten play yesterday?

Jetfan13

I never saw his # on the screen, whtas up with him? Not giving up on him yet but I think its time he starts catching on

Briefly. He ran on the field in the 4th quarter after the D lined up, ran around in cirlces for a few seconds and then got flagged for being the 12th man on the field. There is room for improvement.

I really want to start seeing something from him too. So far they just have him rushing the qb on 3rd down pass plays, but i really think he needs alot more time to adjust. I think the speed is overwelming to him, he's on some speacial teams like kickoff and he just looks lost running down there now, hopefully that will change in the near future. Im a supporter of the guy and know he has the ability, its jus a matter of time until we see him raise hell.

Who really cares about this guy right now. Thomas and Pace are doing great which gives Gholston time to understand what is going on. Give him to about week 9 or 10 then start worrying. But not now we have other things to worry about. We might have the worst special teams in the league.

Who really cares about this guy right now. Thomas and Pace are doing great which gives Gholston time to understand what is going on. Give him to about week 9 or 10 then start worrying. But not now we have other things to worry about. We might have the worst special teams in the league.

You don't draft someone at #6 unless he's a QB and give him until week 9 or 10 to start to figure out how to play.

You don't draft someone at #6 unless he's a QB and give him until week 9 or 10 to start to figure out how to play.

Do you really think every position other than QB comes in as a rookie and plays well from the beginning? No matter where he was picked he's still a rookie. Some players come right in from college without missing a beat but most take time to adjust. If there's no significant progression by the end of the season, or at least deeper into the season, then there's cause for worry. As of now he's had one mediocore game and one poor game. Its hard to make a judgement off of that.

Do you really think every position other than QB comes in as a rookie and plays well from the beginning? No matter where he was picked he's still a rookie. Some players come right in from college without missing a beat but most take time to adjust. If there's no significant progression by the end of the season, or at least deeper into the season, then there's cause for worry. As of now he's had one mediocore game and one poor game. Its hard to make a judgement off of that.

I think they should know how to line up on the field and participate at a fairly high level, yes.

I can judge by the way he looked LOST out there... and how he didn't do much in the preseason either. Our 4th round CB can somehow figure out how to play, why can't our #6 pick? They're just asking him to rush the passer and he can't do it.

Briefly. He ran on the field in the 4th quarter after the D lined up, ran around in cirlces for a few seconds and then got flagged for being the 12th man on the field. There is room for improvement.

yeah I couldn't believe that. he showed great lateral movement skills on the play though.

I think they should know how to line up on the field and participate at a fairly high level, yes.

I can judge by the way he looked LOST out there... and how he didn't do much in the preseason either. Our 4th round CB can somehow figure out how to play, why can't our #6 pick? They're just asking him to rush the passer and he can't do it.

I agree with you to the extent that he's been some what disappointing so far. My point is that its not fair to write him off after two games. To me he seems to be confirming his supposed strengths and weaknesses. For the most part he looks ok when asked to rush the QB but when it comes to the other LB responsibilities he looks lost. Wasn't one of the main knocks on him that he's very talented and can get to the QB but he's raw in most other aspects?

From what I've seen from him preseason/regular season he seems to look best when he can put his hand in the ground and rush the passer in a traditional DE role which is more remeniscent of his college play. Maybe I'm being too optimistic but I take from that, that once he gets comfortable as a LB he'll at least be a dangerous pass rusher.

Also, the fact that Lowry came in and played well from the beginning has no bearing on Gholston. Everybody's different. Just because one guy picks up his position fast doesn't mean that another guy will do the same. There's also the fact that Lowry isn't learning a completely different position. I don't like making excuses for the guy but its to early to start giving up on him.

I agree with you to the extent that he's been some what disappointing so far. My point is that its not fair to write him off after two games. To me he seems to be confirming his supposed strengths and weaknesses. For the most part he looks ok when asked to rush the QB but when it comes to the other LB responsibilities he looks lost. Wasn't one of the main knocks on him that he's very talented and can get to the QB but he's raw in most other aspects?

From what I've seen from him preseason/regular season he seems to look best when he can put his hand in the ground and rush the passer in a traditional DE role which is more remeniscent of his college play. Maybe I'm being too optimistic but I take from that, that once he gets comfortable as a LB he'll at least be a dangerous pass rusher.

Also, the fact that Lowry came in and played well from the beginning has no bearing on Gholston. Everybody's different. Just because one guy picks up his position fast doesn't mean that another guy will do the same. There's also the fact that Lowry isn't learning a completely different position. I don't like making excuses for the guy but its to early to start giving up on him.

I didn't want him drafted in MARCH so I'm being fairly consistent here.

My point on Lowery is to combat your point of "do you expect a rookie to come in and perform right away.." Answer = Yes, Proof = Lowery.

my expectations for him were to start maybe around week 8, and he is way behind that now

we did get some value out of him, apparently BT got the message he needs to produce every week or he's out of a job

I think that message was delivered with Pace.....

I didn't want him drafted in MARCH so I'm being fairly consistent here.

My point on Lowery is to combat your point of "do you expect a rookie to come in and perform right away.." Answer = Yes, Proof = Lowery.

That's fine if you didn't want us to draft him, at least you're not having these knee-jerk reactions like many on this board. But I still don't think you can confirm him a bust or not 2 games into the regular season of his rookie year.

I also disagree that your point on Lowrey is a fair counter-point. There's just as many players, if not more, that don't do great right away which is my point. Off the top of my head, Calvin Johnson had a mediocore rookie year which is disappointing considering the massive hype he got as a prospect. Yet, if I were to make a judgement based on this season, so far, I'd say he's a monster. Not every player comes in and dominates from the start, nor do they progress at the same rate.

bad comparison....Lowery was t=in camp from the start. Gholston missed all OTA's and a bunch of camp

if he doesn't catch on soon I will be worried. He does need to get a grasp of things soon

That's fine if you didn't want us to draft him, at least you're not having these knee-jerk reactions like many on this board. But I still don't think you can confirm him a bust or not 2 games into the regular season of his rookie year.

I also disagree that your point on Lowrey is a fair counter-point. There's just as many players, if not more, that don't do great right away which is my point. Off the top of my head, Calvin Johnson had a mediocore rookie year which is disappointing considering the massive hype he got as a prospect. Yet, if I were to make a judgement based on this season, so far, I'd say he's a monster. Not every player comes in and dominates from the start, nor do they progress at the same rate.

Calvin Johnson was injured.. That's a major difference.

Calvin Johnson was injured.. That's a major difference.

I believe I remember reading from Lions fans that he also had some inconsistancy problems in terms of dropping catchable balls and his injury wouldn't really explain that. But anyway, I don't like bashing him since he's one of my favorite players lol. So if you want a better example I'll give you Roddy White. As you know he was pretty terrible his first couple years and he significantly improved last year and actually looked like a pretty good receiver.

The point remains the same that different players progress at different rates and not everyone is going to show you greatness right off the bat. 2 games and 1 preseason is way to small of a sample size. Talk to me after maybe 8-10 regular season games of him showing nothing.

I believe I remember reading from Lions fans that he also had some inconsistancy problems in terms of dropping catchable balls and his injury wouldn't really explain that. But anyway, I don't like bashing him since he's one of my favorite players lol. So if you want a better example I'll give you Roddy White. As you know he was pretty terrible his first couple years and he significantly improved last year and actually looked like a pretty good receiver.

The point remains the same that different players progress at different rates and not everyone is going to show you greatness right off the bat. 2 games and 1 preseason is way to small of a sample size. Talk to me after maybe 8-10 regular season games of him showing nothing.

I can explain Roddy White too.

The explanation can be done in 2 words... "Michael Vick".. As soon as he went away, the passing game, even with their horrible QBs, opened up.

I agree, different players progress differently, but when I'm drafting #6, I better be sure this player is going to progress quickly.

I can explain Roddy White too.

The explanation can be done in 2 words... "Michael Vick".. As soon as he went away, the passing game, even with their horrible QBs, opened up.

I agree, different players progress differently, but when I'm drafting #6, I better be sure this player is going to progress quickly.

We'll just have to agree to disagree on this one. I'll be right there with you if I don't see more flashes from him by the end of the season but I'm not there yet.

However, I saw the Vick excuse coming and I can't let that one slide. Michael Vick was not a good passer and we all know this, but I don't care who was throwing him the ball there were no excuses for White his first few years. The few times I did watch Falcons games he dropped plenty of catchable balls from Vick. He by no means hit him in the numbers everytime but I'm of the belief that if the ball is reasonably thrown (not at the feet or a rocket above your head) and it hits you in the hands, it should be caught no questions asked. Otherwise you're not a NFL WR. I think if you ask any objective Falcons fan they will tell you that White was just as much at fault for his struggles as Vick. Catching balls from Joey Harrington, Chris Redman, and Byron Leftwich is not a significant enough improvement over Vick, if its an improvment at all, to explain why he couldn't just catch the damn ball.

We'll just have to agree to disagree on this one. I'll be right there with you if I don't see more flashes from him by the end of the season but I'm not there yet.

However, I saw the Vick excuse coming and I can't let that one slide. Michael Vick was not a good passer and we all know this, but I don't care who was throwing him the ball there were no excuses for White his first few years. The few times I did watch Falcons games he dropped plenty of catchable balls from Vick. He by no means hit him in the numbers everytime but I'm of the belief that if the ball is reasonably thrown (not at the feet or a rocket above your head) and it hits you in the hands, it should be caught no questions asked. Otherwise you're not a NFL WR. I think if you ask any objective Falcons fan they will tell you that White was just as much at fault for his struggles as Vick. Catching balls from Joey Harrington, Chris Redman, and Byron Leftwich is not a significant enough improvement over Vick, if its an improvment at all, to explain why he couldn't just catch the damn ball.

White did suck, I agree.

However, with Vick, I'm willing to give him a little bit of a pass... now if he doesn't reproduce that again this year, the pass is gone. If he does, then I know the reason why he sucked early on.

look at Chris long in St. Louis. He was the number 2 pick overall and he looking like a boy playing with men. Do we think he is a bust too? I dont think so, and i dont think its fair for us talking and comparing gholston w mike mamula and the word bust or workout warrior, UNTIL the end of the season, not 2 games into the season.

look at Chris long in St. Louis. He was the number 2 pick overall and he looking like a boy playing with men. Do we think he is a bust too? I dont think so, and i dont think its fair for us talking and comparing gholston w mike mamula and the word bust or workout warrior, UNTIL the end of the season, not 2 games into the season.

But Chris Long was rated high his entire senior season. I'm talking top 10 high. Gholston was a 20-30 pick until he ran well in shorts ...

We could have went running back...Stewart and Jones both look like studs. And I think Mendenhall will be very good as well.

At #6? You crazy? They would have been huge reaches at that stage.

It seems as though it was a very strong class for RB's, and I'm starting to get annoyed we didn't make a move to get one.

So far:

McFadden

Stewart

Johnson

Jones

Forte

Have all been VERY impressive. Sure it's early, but Thomas ****ing Jones is not the future at RB, he needs to be replaced soon and to be honest I wish he would have been replaced before this season.

I knew long would come into the gholston conversation

long was a 4-3 end at virginia right ? playing 4-3 end now, right ?

gholston only started playing football in HS, I bet howies kid was in oaklands locker room as a kid and played pop warner

gholston then left OSU early

then he switched positions

then he switched defenses

lil' different, 'eh ?

lol at me, I totally misunderstood your post duuuuuuh

But Chris Long was rated high his entire senior season. I'm talking top 10 high. Gholston was a 20-30 pick until he ran well in shorts ...

He was rated high, but that doesnt matter now. All im saying is he is looking just as lost on the Rams, and is in the same boat as gholston getting accostumed to the game speed and figuring out their niche in the league.

Two f'ing games into his rookie season. Enough already, just enough. My god you people are f'ing crazy bastards. I'm as pissed off as anyone after yesterdays loss (ask the people who were there) but my god I'm not ready to throw in the towel on certain players or the season because of a Week 2 contest against a very good team even without their All Pro QB.

Yes Gholston was not on the field as much as he was against Miami but maybe, just maybe it was because he was not ready to face New England and all of their schemes. Mangini by sitting Gholston, for the most part of the game, made a solid move and yesterday that might've been his only one.

he looked faster when he was playing at OSU...he needs to work on his technique, he can't just run into and around people in the NFL...the coaching staff needs to show him some tape of Micheal Strahan and LT...they knew how to use technique to get to the QB...rip, swim, pull, spin etc etc!!!!

Im going to requote myself here. I won't be surprised if we dont see much from him this year at all. Does that mean hes a bust or hes not any good? NO! He has been playing catch up from day 1 and the transition to college to the NFL is huge and the transistion from playing DE to OLB is also huge. THis guy is a project that needs to be groomed. Hes going to take time, but he has tremedous upside and at the end of the day be worth the # 6 pick trust me. So even if he doesnt do much this year, its ok bc we have Thomas and Pace who look like they are playing at a high level right now and it gives Gholston the time to adjust to the speed and intensity of the nFL. Enough said!

Archived