NYJETS waive Ben Graham

JETSFAN5180

His net average on his four punts was 27 yards and all of his four punts landed in Jets territory. What did New England do in those four drives? Score 6 points. They scored another 7 on Favre's interception.

Ben Graham helped give New England 6 points, Feely took away 3 and Favre helped give 7.

The Jets were conservative inside the 20 and made too many mental and Special Teams mistakes, that is why they lost.

And please, don't kid yourself. Benny Graham punted well in 2005 and decent in 2006 but since then hasn't been anything special, one of the lower averages in the league via Net Yardage and just pure length.

C'mon, don't try and make sense. It will never work

Not to mention the fact that 5 of NE's drives began in the Jets side of the 50. The best field position the Jets started with was the 25.

Punting had a lot to do with that. I find it incredible the D only gave up 19 points. Better kicking game the Jets win.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

this bums me out. i know he has punted like crap this year.. but i like him

who is going to hold for nuge or feely or whoever?

graham.. always counted off when they went into their warm ups...

no more benny and the jets...

OY!

this bums me out. i know he has punted like crap this year.. but i like him

who is going to hold for nuge or feely or whoever?

graham.. always counted off when they went into their warm ups...

no more benny and the jets...

OY!

Interesting you brought this up, I said in another thread that it looked like Graham had a very odd hold on that Feely miss. Considering his poor punting and that he may've cost us 3 pts in addition probably combined to lead to the decision to let him go.

super bowl caliber teams dont have room for stragglers, stragglers are weak, and weakness equals failure. Bring back Tom Tupa and lets pin some teams back inside their own 5 as opposed to their own 45. this just in, the outback steakhouse has just signed ben graham, he will punt the steaks from the kitchen to the customers tables.

:biggrin:

from Dave Hutchinson:

Jets release punter Graham

by Dave Hutchinson

Tuesday September 16, 2008, 5:51 PM

The Jets have released veteran punter Ben Graham, according to a person with knowledge of the move. The person spoke on the condition of anonymity because he's not authorized to speak for the club.

Graham, in his fourth season with the Jets, averaged just 27.5 net yards on four kicks in a 19-10 loss to the Patriots. New England started five drives in Jets' territory that led to 13 points. Graham, a former Australian Rules League star, struggled last season as well.

The team worked out three punters today -- veteran Josh Miller, and youngsters Waylon Prather and Reggie Hodges. I'll get back to you on who they sign.

Never have heard of Waylon Prather but Josh Miller isn't the answer, thats for sure.

Interesting you brought this up, I said in another thread that it looked like Graham had a very odd hold on that Feely miss. Considering his poor punting and that he may've cost us 3 pts in addition probably combined to lead to the decision to let him go.

Good point.

This is the right move. He's had more than his share of shank punts here despite owning a big leg. I don't understand people thinking this was the first bad game he's had. He always seemed to be booming 60 yarders one after the other in practice but in the games we saw a different player.

Punter and kicker are not like other positions. You don't demote one to 2nd-string. He's first string or he's cut (unless he's temporarily injured like Nugent).

I think this falls into the "once you're a victim, twice you're a fool" category. If Mangini waits for the next loss that can be largely (even if not completely) blamed on this same punter, then he is that fool. And then the complaints would come from everywhere that he should have cut Graham after the NE game. And those complaints would be correct.

Because there are multiple areas that need improvement doesn't mean you don't make any personnel changes for fear of scapegoating one player. The fact is we don't keep 2 punters, no one keeps 2 punters, and if we ever did then Mangini would be a bigger jackass than his worst critics accuse him of being. The "he wasn't the only one to blame" reason is a dumb one for keeping him aboard.

I liked Graham a lot. Or at least liked his story. I liked these alleged helicopter kicks that were going to cause fumbles instead of punt returns. But we don't see that, and we aren't seeing booming punts every game that net 40+ yards even with the return. And so he had to go.

Really good point. Who held last year the game Graham was inactive (when they gave Kapinos an audition)?

Was it Kellen Clemens? That would be good. This way he could get in the games and all. :)

I don't understand why Mangini is doing this....Scapegoat possibly

And the heat put on Schotty is ridiculous

Plain and simple the Jets defense lost the game

Down 16-10....stop a Matt Cassel led offense

Couldn't do it..F-them

Sutton needs to go

Have you not watched any Jet games in about 2 years? Graham was awful last year and the through the first 2 games he's been a disgrace.

As far as the defense, they're the only unit that came to play actually. They gave up 19 points, but the Pats avg field position was about the 50 yard line and started drives in Jet territory numerous times. It was a field position game and Graham contributed mightily to the Jets being spanked.

Really good point. Who held last year the game Graham was inactive (when they gave Kapinos an audition)?

Was it Kellen Clemens? That would be good. This way he could get in the games and all. :)

Good point, Max. Here's another reason why it's a good thing that the Jets dumped Graham.....he cannot throw an "american" football! I watched him and Nugent at training camp last year throw the ball to each other and he could not throw even remotely close to a spiral. Nugent was having a hard time catching it, and you could tell that they were not goofing around. Given Mike Westhoff's ingenuity, don't you think that he would like to inject a fake FG in the playbook every once in a while? Also, having a back-up QB hold will be better for any botched snaps.

IMO it's an advantage to have the backup QB be your holder. He's used to handling the ball so that helps get good holds. There's the added advantage of having someone who can actually throw a decent pass if you want to run a fake.

Good point, Max. Here's another reason why it's a good thing that the Jets dumped Graham.....he cannot throw an "american" football! I watched him and Nugent at training camp last year throw the ball to each other and he could not throw even remotely close to a spiral. Nugent was having a hard time catching it, and you could tell that they were not goofing around. Given Mike Westhoff's ingenuity, don't you think that he would like to inject a fake FG in the playbook every once in a while? Also, having a back-up QB hold will be better for any botched snaps.

Since we have 4 QB's, Ainge should be holding the ball this year (assuming his finger is healed). He barely works out with the offense anyway. The likelihood that we'd be down to Ainge as the starter, and his play suffering because of his lack of reps being the holder, is remote at best. I'm sure he can throw a football better than any punter for fakes.

IMO it's an advantage to have the backup QB be your holder. He's used to handling the ball so that helps get good holds. There's the added advantage of having someone who can actually throw a decent pass if you want to run a fake.

Romo handled holds as a backup, and even continued to do so as a starter. Then he screwed up a hold in a playoff game and it was a big deal for a few days, and now apparently nobody even remembers.

KC is never gonna wind up starting for us in all likelihood, but he should hold nonetheless.

Romo handled holds as a backup, and even continued to do so as a starter. Then he screwed up a hold in a playoff game and it was a big deal for a few days, and now apparently nobody even remembers.

KC is never gonna wind up starting for us in all likelihood, but he should hold nonetheless.

The difference with Romo is he was also the starter. The #1 (and #2 a little bit) take snaps with the first team offense. They can't devote practice time every week to holding for the kicker the way a punter can. Or the way a 3rd/4th string QB can. That's why punters are frequently the holder in the first place nowadays.

Since we have 4 QB's, Ainge should be holding the ball this year (assuming his finger is healed). He barely works out with the offense anyway. The likelihood that we'd be down to Ainge as the starter, and his play suffering because of his lack of reps being the holder, is remote at best. I'm sure he can throw a football better than any punter for fakes.

The problem with that is that you would have to inactivate someone else in order to dress Ainge for the game (just to be a holder). Ratliff is listed as the #3QB and he can't play until the 4th quarter.

that would mean we would have to activate him for each game-what makes the most sense is your back-up QB as the holder...just like it's pretty much always been in the NFL. I'm glad they finally dumped Graham, who I thought was our team MVP his first year here. He got hurt somewhere along the line and has never fully recovered. I couldn't believe when they cut Kapinos so early and GAVE Graham the job after having sucked so badly for almost two full seasons now

The difference with Romo is he was also the starter. The #1 (and #2 a little bit) take snaps with the first team offense. They can't devote practice time every week to holding for the kicker the way a punter can. Or the way a 3rd/4th string QB can. That's why punters are frequently the holder in the first place nowadays.

The problem with that is that you would have to inactivate someone else in order to dress Ainge for the game (just to be a holder). Ratliff is listed as the #3QB and he can't play until the 4th quarter.

True. I forgot about that. It's still morning.

Slugo -- thanks for handling this one.

Sperm maybe they can bring back Curtis Martin to hold? He and Ainge have the same chance of seeing game action this year. I'm just saying.

:-P

miller born in Queens and went to high school in New Brunswick, NJ,,

he HAS to be da man :D

Miller attended East Brunswick High School in East Brunswick Township, New Jersey[1], where he was an All-State pick in football (playing wide receiver, in addition to handling the duties of punting where he still holds some career records)

miller born in Queens and went to high school in New Brunswick, NJ,,

he HAS to be da man :D

Miller attended East Brunswick High School in East Brunswick Township, New Jersey[1], where he was an All-State pick in football (playing wide receiver, in addition to handling the duties of punting where he still holds some career records)

guess not

Jets Sign 2

P Waylan Prather TO THE PRACTICE SQUAD

P Reggie Hodge TO THE ACTIVE ROSTER

mangini just said

brad smith or kellen will hold

I love the idea of Smith holding. The success rate on fakes goes up tremendously. Plus, on a bad snap, he can either run it or throw about a thousand times better than Kellen. Mangini--if you're listening--please make Smith the holder. Thank you, Burger Guy.

The Jets pull with in 16-10 and the momentum completely shifted.

All the defense had to do on the next series was to either create a turnover or force a 3 and out.

What happened however, was the Pats OLine physically dominated the Jets defense and Lamont Jordan ripped them to shreds.

A good defense performs in crucial situations.

or has a bad moment..

is NE a reflection of the shiiit super bowl they played, or had aoff day..

jet d and o will get better each week...

to be that close with a QB who has not learned fiull playbook yet or doesnt have much rapore with WRs is ok for now,,we wil lsee where we are in week 5 or 6..

The Jets pull with in 16-10 and the momentum completely shifted.

All the defense had to do on the next series was to either create a turnover or force a 3 and out.

What happened however, was the Pats OLine physically dominated the Jets defense and Lamont Jordan ripped them to shreds.

A good defense performs in crucial situations.

A fluke roughing the passer call helps move the ball up 15 yards as well.

Just sayin'.

Archived