Mangini: best coaching hire in NFL over the last 3yrs

docdhc

It's time to give Mangini some props. Of all the coaches coming to new teams in the last 3 years, who was a better hire? Linehan, Rams was a disaster. Childress not much better in Minn. McCarthy did well last year with Favre, now the team is mediocre. The Jets killed them in both coach's first year. Cameron in Miami was Kotite like. Kiffen is gone in Oakland. Kubiak has been mediocre in Houston. Petrino in Atlanta was worse than Herm, and Herm of course has destroyed KC. Wade Phillips and Norv Turner are in the process of destroying potential championship teams. I know there are many factors involved in team success but I can't think of a coaching hire in the last 3 years that in retrospect I would rather have than Mangini. Anyone disagree?

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's hard to discount McCarthy by saying "He did well with Favre, now they're mediocre". Ddn't Mangini do the exact opposite? We were horrible without Favre, and now with Favre (and a lot of others) we're pretty good?

I'm just saying. I'm happy with Mangini, but you can't use the Favre carried McCarthy argument when now we have Favre and our record is considerably better.

when he wins a superbowl then he will be the best coaching hire. Until then, he is a good young coach that doesn't always understand how to utilize his players and when to change game plans. As I've said before, he is going to be a great coach, I just hope it's not at the expense of practicing on us. I think everyone is starting to feel comfortable and that is the big reason that the Jets are kicking a$$. GO JETS!!!!!

It's hard to discount McCarthy by saying "He did well with Favre, now they're mediocre". Ddn't Mangini do the exact opposite? We were horrible without Favre, and now with Favre (and a lot of others) we're pretty good?

I'm just saying. I'm happy with Mangini, but you can't use the Favre carried McCarthy argument when now we have Favre and our record is considerably better.

Actually, Mangini went 10-6 with Pennington at QB his first year.

In fact, Mangini's first year was more impressive than this year in a few ways.

Pennington at QB

No number 1 RB

Two rookies on the o-line

DRob at NT

Vilma at ILB in the 3-4

No legit starting CB

I'm still trying to figure out how that team went 10-6.

That was an absolutely amazing coaching job.

Pennington at QB

No number 1 RB

DRob at NT

Vilma at ILB in the 3-4

No legit starting CB

Probably the same way the fins are finding success this year.

Pennington at QB

No number 1 RB

DRob at NT

Vilma at ILB in the 3-4

No legit starting CB

2006 results can be attributed to two big reasons very easy schedule and no major injuries (not counting C-Mart)

The Fins have more talent this year than we had in '06.

We didn't have running backs like Ricky Williams and Ronnie Brown.

Except for one game where Brown lit it up against the Pats, I wouldn't exactly say they've been tearing up the leauge.

Edit: I had to look this up for my own curiousity. There are five games left in the regular season. Dolphins have to average 100 rushing yards a game to tie the 2006 Jets running game that year...so, I wouldn't say the fins running game is better at this point.

the skins are 7-4 in a brutal division with an average QB. Jim Zorn should get some love

atlanta is 7-4 with a rookie QB and a rookie HC. Mike Smith should get some love

baltimore is 7-4 with a rookie QB and rookie HC. John harbaugh should get some love

Mangini is getting better, but let's face it, tanny has a lot more to do with this teams position than mangini

the skins are 7-4 in a brutal division with an average QB. Jim Zorn should get some love

atlanta is 7-4 with a rookie QB and a rookie HC. Mike Smith should get some love

baltimore is 7-4 with a rookie QB and rookie HC. John harbaugh should get some love

Mangini is getting better, but let's face it, tanny has a lot more to do with this teams position than mangini

Let's see if those teams can carry it over next year.

smith and ryan could be together for 10 years

jmho

They could be, that doesn't mean they will.

Four years from now they could still be together but mired in mediocrity.

A year like this will get them a pass if they fall apart next year. Not saying it's going to happen, but we've seen hot starts to careers turn to **** many, many times over the years.

After his rookie year in Seattle when he won Rookie of the Year, everybody thought Rick Mirer was the next Joe Montana, just sayin'.

Pennington at QB

No number 1 RB

DRob at NT

Vilma at ILB in the 3-4

No legit starting CB

Mediocre team, easy schedule...

Pennington at QB

No number 1 RB

DRob at NT

Vilma at ILB in the 3-4

No legit starting CB

But McCarthy isn't going 4-12 without Favre either, so this can be his "Pennington" year.

A #1 RB is overrated in my opinion. The rooks on the OL is a good point though. Vilma at ILB in the 3-4 was drastically overrated too, but then again DROB at NT was terrible.

But McCarthy isn't going 4-12 without Favre either, so this can be his "Pennington" year.

A #1 RB is overrated in my opinion. The rooks on the OL is a good point though. Vilma at ILB in the 3-4 was drastically overrated too, but then again DROB at NT was terrible.

McCarthy still has a boatload more talent now than Mangini had in '06.

They could be, that doesn't mean they will.

Four years from now they could still be together but mired in mediocrity.

A year like this will get them a pass if they fall apart next year. Not saying it's going to happen, but we've seen hot starts to careers turn to **** many, many times over the years.

After his rookie year in Seattle when he won Rookie of the Year, everybody thought Rick Mirer was the next Joe Montana, just sayin'.

?

I just pointed out 3 new HC's doing well the OP forgot ;) to put in the thread

I'm not saying I would take Smith over mangini, just that you can't forget to mention him in this thread

?

I just pointed out 3 new HC's doing well the OP forgot ;) to put in the thread

I'm not saying I would take Smith over mangini, just that you can't forget to mention him in this thread

I think it's too early to include first year coaches. Linehan seemed ok at first, and so did Kiffen. Norv Turner even had a decent first year with the Chargers and he is akin to Kotite IMO. I think you need at least 3years to judge.

I think it's too early to include first year coaches. Linehan seemed ok at first, and so did Kiffen. Norv Turner even had a decent first year with the Chargers and he is akin to Kotite IMO. I think you need at least 3years to judge.

tell that to the OP who brought up kiffen and petrino

Mangini just has an incredibly talented team. I'm not saying he's a bad coach but you can't say he's better than other coaches due to results when he quite simply has a much better team.

The three rookie HC's that came in this season all look good so far. I think Smith and Harbough are especially in for good careers. But as Klecko pointed out it's WAY to early to come to any conclusion with them. Peyton in New Orleans is a bit overrated IMO, that is a VERY talented team in its own right which I think has underachieved.

Mangini just has an incredibly talented team. I'm not saying he's a bad coach but you can't say he's better than other coaches due to results when he quite simply has a much better team.

The three rookie HC's that came in this season all look good so far. I think Smith and Harbough are especially in for good careers. But as Klecko pointed out it's WAY to early to come to any conclusion with them. Peyton in New Orleans is a bit overrated IMO, that is a VERY talented team in its own right which I think has underachieved.

Yes, Mangini has a lot of talent to work with, but so does Norv Turner.

This team could have gone in two directions after the Oakland and KC games. Mangini deserves a lot of credit for turning this thing around. A lot of coaches would have gone into panic mode after those performances and changed everything up trying to find a winning combo. Mangini kept his cool and kept that consistent approach and let this team gel and we are seeing the results.

One can only imagine how good this team would be right now had Favre been in camp from day one.

Yes, you're right as usual Chan. Mangini never deserves any credit whatsoever.

Never mind the fact that Bills and Dolphins played pretty much the same schedule, arguably with the same level of talent or even better, and didn't do nearly as well.

If you think the Bills and Dolphins have the same level of talent as the Jets this year you are completely clueless.

Be careful throwing rocks in that glass house of yours.

Yes, aec. you're always right. always! who am I to question you about anything?

:rl:

Nice job adding to this thread as usual. You bring NOTHING to the table.

I thought that was the line for Thor and Dierking?

Archived