Year 1 Measurement On Rex Ryan

Scott Dierking

Championship teams are created, they are not born.

The inherent want of fans, especially with a new coaching staff is to see immediate results. And that is a fair want, but needs to be tempered in terms of building.

In most cases, new staffs are replacing old staffs that have either failed, or time ran out. This means that a change of fortune must take place,and it is impossible to expect full results in a year's period of time.

So what is a good measuing stick for a coach in year one? What can be resonable expectations?

Everyone wants to see motivated players and synchronized units that are accountable. But that creates a hard measurement.

Rex is inheriting a 9 win team, but that is also a very difficult measurement and possibly unrealistic in terms of how the Jets got to that plateau, and it does not gauge the true temperature of the '08 Jets.

For me, year 1 measurement of Rex Ryan and staff will be very easy. And commend Ryan and his candor.

The measurement-Make the Jets a top 5 defense in terms of statistics in year 1 (the '09 season). Ryan stated it himself as a goal in the press conference, and said that the talent is on that side of the ball already to accomplish that goal.

Accomplish that, and I am confident that the rest will come:

-It will give the Jets a long time needed identity as a club.

-It will allow the other units to be catered to compliment the defense.

-And Ryan will have someting to build off of.

That is my simple yard stick for Ryan in year 1. Give me a top 5 defense, and I will take my chances. If he does that, he will have accomplished a lot.

I want to see a defense that punches the other team in the mouth from the first snap. If that happens, the team will be successful. Defense wins championships.

I have seen teams like that, but that give up big plays consistently also.

Just being physical isn't enough. Physicality needs to be paired with smartness and accountability.

When you see teams in the top 5 rankings (and the NFL bases it on yards), those are the teams you see there.

I just want to win...I don't care if the defense doesn't rank in the top10. I don't care if the offense can't pass the ball. I just want wins....by any means necessary.

I understand all of those things, but lket's be frank, making it deep into the playoffs may not be a realistic goal for the Jets in '09.

If that is not the case, we need something to judge Ryan off of. I think this may be the fairest criteria.

I will consider the season a success if the defense improves drastically, if not top 5 it has to be top 10 overall and top 5 in at least one category. Also a record equal to or better than last years, if we make the playoffs depends largely on how the other teams in the AFC perform in conjunction with our own record. Lastly no loosing at home to the Fins, Pats or Bills.

I want to see a defense that punches the other team in the mouth from the first snap. If that happens, the team will be successful. Defense wins championships.

you took the words right out of my mouth because we already know we can score points if schotty doesnt have tampon in on gameday day..all we need is our defense to get nasty and stomp on people every week

A top 5 defense would be nice. I want a defense that sacks the QB though. A defense that makes plays. I would rather have the 7th ranked defense based on yards and have them be aggressive and get some turnovers.

Ryan seems to be of that mind set. When they asked him about Chris Johnson having a good start I think he said -- yeah but he didn't finish the game. Goes to what DNA said, punch them in the mouth. Let them know you are there. Unlike what we saw from the team this year, no passion.

But if they build this defense and hand it to Kellen Clemens we may all wish Chad Pennington was still here.

Top 5 defense and 11 wins would be a nice season. Division title and at least one playoff win would be even nicer. I think the AFCE is going to be fun again finally, with some competition forming finally.

But really, just seeing a 5-man rush now and then and putting a warm body in the middle of the field to cover TEs would be enough to make me smile.

Hopefully he won't post the lunch orders on the defensive whiteboard like Mangini did:

ManginiD.png

I'm not going to judge Ryan by wins. The schedule this year is brutal.

What I'm looking for is to be aggressive, to play hard, and to improve as the year goes on. A few sacks would be nice, and I really don't want to see any more Tampa 2.

More interesting to me is how he handles the QB situation. Can he and he staff develop a young QB? That certainly is more up in the air than anything on the defensive side of the ball.

Archived