Numerous Quality TEs Available for This Year's Draft

Ryno the Jet

I don't want to go blocking TE in round 3. I'd prefer if we just got a somewhat athletic backup tackle to block on goalline with Franks in 2 TE sets--we're going to be running most of the time anyways. A solid blocking TE doesn't merit a third rounder when we have so many other holes to fill first.

we got keller and Franks why do we need another?

Keller is not a blocker. Franks is a FA if I am not mistaken, but regardless, he has one foot in the grave and was not impressive last year. The Jets need a guy that can serve as a third tackle, but still athletic enough to get open and catch a pass. Baker would be fine, but he will be more expensive than a rookie like Quinn. Quinn can be signed to a lengthy deal for a lot less coin. The trade off is that you know what you are getting with Baker, while Quinn is unproven. Having a capable inline TE allows Keller to excel at what he does best, which is abuse the poor unfortunate souls that are assigned the task of covering him. IMO, this draft has enough TE depth that the Jets do not need to resign Baker. They will not have to use an early pick or spend a fortune to replace him.

I don't want to go blocking TE in round 3. I'd prefer if we just got a somewhat athletic backup tackle to block on goalline with Franks in 2 TE sets--we're going to be running most of the time anyways. A solid blocking TE doesn't merit a third rounder when we have so many other holes to fill first.

Perhaps round 3 is too early, but that will depend on what happens with FA acquisitions.

ROUND 5 maybe.

but we got another needs

We got 27 mil worth of cap room to address those needs as well. There is a ton of TE depth in this year's draft, so I would prefer not to spend more than we would have to at the position.

Why bother when you can sign someone like Jim Kleinsasser to do the exact same job?

The upside of some of these TEs make the gamble worth the risk.

team needs (before FA this is kinda silly, but here I go anyway)

QB

CB

WR

ILB

DE

RB

OG

S

TE

According to Rex, QB is not a need. There are decent CBs in FA and a few in the draft. The Jets could go WR at #1 and they may add another via FA or a late round project. ILB will likely be Lewis or Scott. DE is not a necessity, but Haynesworth would be awesome as a 34 DE (IMO 124, and I know it is a pipe dream). OG will be in the draft I would think, unless Moore is resigned. Safety is rumored to be Leohnard. That leaves plenty of room to draft a TE. :lol:

According to Rex, QB is not a need. There are decent CBs in FA and a few in the draft. The Jets could go WR at #1 and they may add another via FA or a late round project. ILB will likely be Lewis or Scott. DE is not a necessity, but Haynesworth would be awesome as a 34 DE (IMO 124, and I know it is a pipe dream). OG will be in the draft I would think, unless Moore is resigned. Safety is rumored to be Leohnard. That leaves plenty of room to draft a TE. :lol:

hoping they draft or sign a QB for insurance mostly, and FA will obviously effect the list

ellis is getting old, and the other guy just is a JAG, so DE is def on my list

agree on OG and S, but TE for me is a low level need unless franks leaves, of course, then it shoots way up to a "must" fill, unless they sign a guy......lol you get the point

hoping they draft or sign a QB for insurance mostly, and FA will obviously effect the list

ellis is getting old, and the other guy just is a JAG, so DE is def on my list

agree on OG and S, but TE for me is a low level need unless franks leaves, of course, then it shoots way up to a "must" fill, unless they sign a guy......lol you get the point

See above, Franks is a FA, so they would have to resign him. Why resign Franks after last year's performance, especially since Favre is out.

See above, Franks is a FA, so they would have to resign him. Why resign Franks after last year's performance, especially since Favre is out.

to do the dirty work

keller is the glory guy, franks is the lunch pail guy

works out fairly well

not a dynamic duo, but if you sign franks, you have more flexibility to draft BPA

• 2 weeks later...
http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80edcba5

Quinn from NC doing better than expected in regards to his athleticism. Known as a blocking TE, this guy could be available for the Jets as a replacement for Baker. Maybe round 3 or so?

Any of you Tarheads have the scoop on this kid?

Jets | Quinn to visit

Mon, 09 Mar 2009 15:14:11 -0700

NFL Draft prospect TE Richard Quinn (North Carolina) has a personal visit scheduled with the New York Jets Friday, March. 13.

Damn, i'm good!

Sign a FA, don't use a draft pick. And if we do, choose a TE in the later rounds.

I'd love for the Jets to find a TE they like well enough to draft in the middle rounds. They need a real player there. A blocker who's a threat to catch a pass. Whoever our inexperienced QB is, he'll benefit from the extra blocker/big body to throw to. This is an important position, not one to wait on undrafted FA's. That's where you get kickers.

I'd love for the Jets to find a TE they like well enough to draft in the middle rounds. They need a real player there. A blocker who's a threat to catch a pass. Whoever our inexperienced QB is, he'll benefit from the extra blocker/big body to throw to. This is an important position, not one to wait on undrafted FA's. That's where you get kickers.

exactly :cheer:

Agree, wholeheartedly!

Archived