Coles, Dolphins a natural fit - ESPN.com

:Typotux:

Coles, Dolphins a natural fit

February 25, 2009 5:36 PM

Posted by ESPN.com's Tim Graham

An NFL source informs me the New York Jets have parted ways with receiver Laveranues Coles.

The most obvious landing pad is the Miami Dolphins.

Coles is close to Dolphins quarterback Chad Pennington, and I have a feeling they've already spoken on the phone.

Coles' dissatisfaction with the Jets' decision to bring in Brett Favre and cut Pennington was a major training camp story line in New York. The Dolphins snatched up Pennington, who guided them to the AFC East title with an 11-5 record, one of the most shocking single-season turnarounds in league history.

The Dolphins, though, need help at receiver. Their top three targets had 56, 55 and 54 catches. Ted Ginn led the way followed by Greg Camarillo (coming off knee surgery) and undrafted rookie Davone Bess.

Ernest Wilford, one of Miami's top free-agent acquisitions around this time last year, was a healthy scratch for all but four games. The Dolphins signed him to a four-year, $16 million contract with $6 million in guarantees. He had three catches for 35 yards.

Coles had 70 catches for 850 yards and a team-high seven touchdowns last season.

well anyway, The Jets are better off, maybe with the money they now save, they can keep moore, or go after a higher teir free agent. as far as receiver goes, i believe Cotch Stucky Clowney will be fine.

I am really hoping they add Hakeem Nicks, because he is much more physical and bigger than coles. that should allow him to beat the press coverage that coles could not

well anyway, The Jets are better off, maybe with the money they now save, they can keep moore, or go after a higher teir free agent. as far as receiver goes, i believe Cotch Stucky Clowney will be fine.

I am really hoping they add Hakeem Nicks, because he is much more physical and bigger than coles. that should allow him to beat the press coverage that coles could not

I usally agree with you, but I respectfully disagree. I think this season will be a failure if we don't address the WR possesion. We're going to have a young QB starting for us, it will hurt us badly if we don't bring in a WR. I'm sorry but I love Clowney more than the next guy, but as of now, we don't know what he can truly bring.

I'll take a huge risk with Plaxico Burress.

I usally agree with you, but I respectfully disagree. I think this season will be a failure if we don't address the WR possesion. We're going to have a young QB starting for us, it will hurt us badly if we don't bring in a WR. I'm sorry but I love Clowney more than the next guy, but as of now, we don't know what he can truly bring.

I'll take a huge risk with Plaxico Burress.

i'm sorry too, i meant the Jets would be fine after drafting another solid receiver, i just felt like adding a 2nd paragraph to say it

If he was healthy then I would agree, but with him being out 10 weeks or so I would say he'll slip out of the Top 10.

knowing Tanenbaum on draft day and the days leading up, he'll have a deal in place that if Crabtree starts to slide, then the deal will be made.

a lot of 1st round trades are made the day before, contingent on player position

knowing Tanenbaum on draft day and the days leading up, he'll have a deal in place that if Crabtree starts to slide, then the deal will be made.

a lot of 1st round trades are made the day before, contingent on player position

I sure hope he has something up his sleeve for either Sanchez or Crabtree.

Cotch Stuckey Clowney will be fine? I admire your optimism but that is a disaster in the making, especially with 2 highly inexperienced QB's. The Jets need another starting-level wide receiver whether Coles goes or not, but if he goes then we will REALLY need someone else.

Cotch Stuckey Clowney will be fine? I admire your optimism but that is a disaster in the making, especially with 2 highly inexperienced QB's. The Jets need another starting-level wide receiver whether Coles goes or not, but if he goes then we will REALLY need someone else.

With Coles gone I think for certain that WR vaults to the top of our wish list.

Come on, CJ. You know those are yards after the catch. The only way Chad gets the ball 60 yards downfield is if he put it into a cab.

They do tend to float a bit, but Chad really did have some long comletions this year. The TD to Ginn during the final game of the regular season was a good 40 yards. Anything longer than that though, requires a reciver with quick feet.

Archived