Gholston so important

lancemehl

Can Rex make Gholston be what he was brought here to be?

In Rex's hybrid system, he can rush from the DE in 4-3 or OLB 3-4 (LT training start?)

SERIOUSLY, If Gholston can be a #6 beast like we thought. We can either go Pace/Gholston and be nuts or Go Gholston/BT and get a badasz in return for Pace, BT would get us draft picks, or he could rotate in, if he joins the "violence".

HOW great would A monster GHOLSTON be??

i hope gholston can play but really i want to see is someone from the jets getting to the QB on a consistent basis. the secondary looks good on paper, the middle off the defense looks great, but there is a huge question mark on pass rush. i don't care if it's an udfa, but someone needs to hit the qb for this defense to be dominant.

i hope gholston can play but really i want to see is someone from the jets getting to the QB on a consistent basis. the secondary looks good on paper, the middle off the defense looks great, but there is a huge question mark on pass rush. i don't care if it's an udfa, but someone needs to hit the qb for this defense to be dominant.

Ellis and Pace will get pressure... heck whenever Mangini let Pace rush he seemed to get there...

Ellis and Pace will get pressure... heck whenever Mangini let Pace rush he seemed to get there...

Dont you get it....its the coaching.... Look at the patsies... they always making players out of somone... jerrod mayo? and we took a better college player in gholsten... and we made the wrong choice?

With rex ryan theres going to be a much more aggressive attack...it wil be no suprise if gholten starts playing better.. theres gotta be a time were ya have to start looking at the coaching.. instead of the players..

Parcells took over and almost got us to the superbowl... I believe in players abilities but coaching and schemes have alot to do with success..

For all you fools that will draft Matt Cassell high in this upcoming fantasy season.. Dont be suprised to see him struggle...

Dont you get it....its the coaching.... Look at the patsies... they always making players out of somone... jerrod mayo? and we took a better college player in gholsten... and we made the wrong choice?

With rex ryan theres going to be a much more aggressive attack...it wil be no suprise if gholten starts playing better.. theres gotta be a time were ya have to start looking at the coaching.. instead of the players..

Parcells took over and almost got us to the superbowl... I believe in players abilities but coaching and schemes have alot to do with success..

For all you fools that will draft Matt Cassell high in this upcoming fantasy season.. Dont be suprised to see him struggle...

Im assuming you were not referring to me... lol... Im pretty sure I got it and was trying to make that point...

i fear he has no football heart

fear not mr sparkling popcorn..........rex ryan will reach in & rip the heart out of some unsuspecting baboon in put it in gholstons heart.

we'll sure find out soon if he's got what it takes for the nfl. if ever a staff can get 100% from a player, i'd say ryan & co can.

I know sorry.

Good post though... Mangini brought this team BELOW its level... and they played well sometimes in spite of his abd coaching... imagine if Rex can make them play above their level...

In Rex's hybrid system, he can rush from the DE in 4-3 or OLB 3-4 (LT training start?)

SERIOUSLY, If Gholston can be a #6 beast like we thought. We can either go Pace/Gholston and be nuts or Go Gholston/BT and get a badasz in return for Pace, BT would get us draft picks, or he could rotate in, if he joins the "violence".

if you are in any way suggesting the Jets trade pace if gholston works out, you are a fool, he's their best linebacker. he was ideal as the 3-4 pass rush line backer, do you know how hard that is to find.

maybe i stupidly defend Bryan Thomas, but i think he's better than people give him credit for, he started the season well, and then what happened, Mangini became a scared child and no one was getting sacks.

Thomas can't cover well, fine, don't make him do it, he rushes well, so send him on blitzes and teach him to cover the run better.

linebackers drive this defense, you can't have enough of them. look at NE, they are struggling because they don't have enough and the ones they had are getting old. why else did they resign Seau and Colvin midseason. They are going to adress that this offseason, i believe.

I would give Gholston a pass for last year. I think he ended up so messed up in the head that by the end of the year he probably didn't know his left from his right anymore.

If he can't play for Ryan then they should just cut him and move on.

Pace is impossible to trade. He's received $20M in bonus money from the Jets in the past year. Of that $20M, the total amount that has come off the cap so far is $1.83M.

Gholston cannot be moved for a few more years for similar reasons.

Thomas has little trade value, if any, right now. He is of the most value to the Jets this season on the roster. We don't save much cap room to move him now. If he's gone it's because Ryan wants him off the premises.

I doubt it, but I suppose it's possible that he's just another player who is better bull-rushing than playing read & react.

In the end, it's unlikely we'll be able to trade Thomas either. If he starts every game again - and plays well all season somehow - we're not moving him to slip Gholston in there. If Gholston takes his job away, no one's going to be offering us anything for him with 2 years left on his contract.

In other words, barring injury:

2009 Jets = Pace + Thomas/Gholston (unless or until Thomas gets cut)

2010 Jets = Pace + Thomas/Gholston (unless or until Thomas gets cut)

2011 Jets = Pace + Thomas/Gholston (unless or until Thomas gets cut)

I still like Gholston, I just think he was a bad mix with Eric Mangini's Defense, which tried to overload him on information. The NFL isn't always as complicated as Mangini makes it out to be though, someone like Gholston you point him in a direction and tell him to go hunt down a QB. Rex Ryan will understand that I think.

I still like Gholston, I just think he was a bad mix with Eric Mangini's Defense, which tried to overload him on information. The NFL isn't always as complicated as Mangini makes it out to be though, someone like Gholston you point him in a direction and tell him to go hunt down a QB. Rex Ryan will understand that I think.

This is what I think as well. Some guys thrive in a read & react system. Some do not. Gholston does not (and neither does Thomas while we're on the subject). What they have is a freakish combination of size & speed. USE it. You don't throw that out the window with guys like that & tell them to constantly think-think-think really fast and then get in on the play when they're done thinking.

It won't work all the time, to be sure, but this past year with those two hardly anything worked at all. I don't want a Vernon Gholston (or a Bryan Thomas) standing in place waiting to see if a TE or FB is going to cross into his area. I want him pressuring QB's.

I hope Ryan can do something with him (them). I'd be more optimistic if Gholston wasn't SO bad last year. We'll see in due time.

I never thought Gholston was going to be a "monster"..

Gholston will either get 20 sacks or 0 sacks.

There is no in-between.

If Football is played in the weight room or track, he'll get 20.

Unfortunately, it's played on a 100 yd field, so he'll get 0.

That's the key to any defense. Pressure the QB. Sack him, pressure him, get in his face. Make him look for the rushers instaed of his receivers. Any QB will look great if he's got all day to pass.

Archived