Why Did Leon Washington Only Have 76 Carries?

SoFlaJets

that's less than 5 a game...he had 76 carries for 448 yards a 5.8 avg. 3 TDs

47 catches for 355 and 2 TDs. I think that if TJ gets hurt he can step in and like a Tiki Barber did, get better and better. The kid has always shown an admirable work ethic ever since he arrived. I remember him asking Curtis to help him with his blocking in his first TC. Leon should be getting 10 carries every game and with Leonhard in the fold now as a punt returner I'm hoping he will.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=9703

that's less than 5 a game...he had 76 carries for 448 yards a 5.8 avg. 3 TDs

47 catches for 355 and 2 TDs. I think that if TJ gets hurt he can step in and like a Tiki Barber did, get better and better. The kid has always shown an admirable work ethic ever since he arrived. I remember him asking Curtis to help him with his blocking in his first TC. Leon should be getting 10 carries every game and with Leonhard in the fold now as a punt returner I'm hoping he will.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=9703

mangini.jpg

And a good amount of those came when the game/season was over. It's not like he was getting 5 every game.

12 carries vs StL

10 carries vs Miami (week 17 after we were eliminated)

8 carries vs Ten

7 carries vs Ari

So that's 37 of his 76 carries right there. Also 15 of his 47 catches came in those 4 games. So that's...52 of his 123 touches on offense (42%) came in 4 games. Three were blowouts and one was after we were eliminated.

Infuriating.

And a good amount of those came when the game/season was over. It's not like he was getting 5 every game.

12 carries vs StL

8 carries vs Ten

7 carries vs Ari

So that's 37 of his 76 carries right there. Also 15 of his 47 catches came in those 4 games. So that's...52 of his 123 touches on offense (42%) came in 4 games. Three were blowouts and one was after we were eliminated.

Infuriating.

I agree, Leon should get more touches. I do think 10-15 touches max a game is right though, except, I'm talking 10-15 MEANINGFUL touches (when the game is in doubt).

If Im Rex Ryan, and I want to eval my offense, I look at it from a D Coordinator's point of view. I study it and determine who I would be scared of. Those players I use more. Leon is one of them.

12 carries vs StL

8 carries vs Ten

7 carries vs Ari

Infuriating.

so will having a new HC determine (as he said in today's papers) that since we now have Leonhard on board to return punts, will Ryan be able to affect the offensive gameplanning of Brian Schott? I mean this is still the guy who only called #29's number that many times. So what I'm asking is will Ryan MAKE BS change his play calling?

so will having a new HC determine (as he said in today's papers) that since we now have Leonhard on board to return punts, will Ryan be able to affect the offensive gameplanning of Brian Schott? I mean this is still the guy who only called #29's number that many times. So what I'm asking is will Ryan MAKE BS change his play calling?

Every HC has the ability to tell his OC what he wants. It's called authority. Don't think for a second that Mangini didn't influence the offensive playcalling (for that matter, most HCs influence playcalling on both sides)

Every HC has the ability to tell his OC what he wants. It's called authority. Don't think for a second that Mangini didn't influence the offensive playcalling (for that matter, most HCs influence playcalling on both sides)

yea like all those wasted trick plays (that fooled nobody) that were run with Brad Smith-I'd like to see them gone forever...Smith along with them

Anybody who Watched Live Access last night heard them say Rex is having Leonhard returning punts also this season,So Leon Wasington can get more time on Offense this upcomming season........ great news.

I hope so JJ but recent history has shown that any statements like that in March mean absolutely nothing. "Kareem McKenzie is in our plans" poof gone to the Giants. "Lamont Jordan WILL get more carries this year"...poof gone to Oakland. Hopefully this kind of stuff goes away with Rex Ryan at the helm. I'm so tired of all the secrecy crap that we have had to endure over the past few years and then the absolute idiocy we went through with Herm before that. It will be nice to see a competent (and NFL-ready) guy coaching this team again.

We should be such a good screening team (athletic line that is able to get out in space), I am surprised we don't run that play more often.

As well, it could help open intermediate routes, just by its threat.

yup, they worked last year the few times we ran them..

not really..control freak eric i guarantee put stranglehold on schotty,,i bet rex gives a little more freedon to schotty

Not buying it. A good Cord. calls the game he wants to call. If he couldnt stand up for himself and make it happen, then shame on him and he shouldnt be in his position.

And it had been said by Favre that Mangini didnt even know the plays half of the time.

remember the kind of ball San Diego played with Baby Schott calling the plays JMJ? Big difference from Jets ball under Mangini ya know?

He never called the plays in San Diego, that would be Cam Cameron. He was the QB coach.

Not buying it. A good Cord. calls the game he wants to call. If he couldnt stand up for himself and make it happen, then shame on him and he shouldnt be in his position.

no way...

thats just not true,,a HC will impose his 'game' philosophy which dictates the calls the OC may call on his own...

no way...

thats just not true,,a HC will impose his 'game' philosophy which dictates the calls the OC may call on his own...

What do mean its not true?

Obviously the HC has a lot to do with the overall philosphy of the game. But when you are in the game and play needs to be called, did you ever see Mangini with a playbook in hand looking for the right play?

Nope. Not once. Never.

He had very little to do with what plays were called and Favre even said it himself. Mangini would describe plays by saying "you know that one play where Cotch goes here and L.C. goes there with Leon in the backfield. We should run that next time."

That doesnt sound like a coach that knew his OC's playbook.

Obviously the HC has a lot to do with the overall philosphy of the game. But when you are in the game and play needs to be called, did you ever see Mangini with a playbook in hand looking for the right play?

Nope. Not once. Never.

He had very little to do with what plays were called and Favre even said it himself. Mangini would describe plays by saying "you know that one play where Cotch goes here and L.C. goes there with Leon in the backfield. We should run that next time."

again, philosophy and game[plan he mandates during week dictates play call selection..

and he has aheadset, he hears plays,, you dont thknk sometimes he said RUN tec etc..its mangini,,but mainly its philosophy imposed,,i think rex will be alittle looser but may say 'when we are beyond this yard line do this and that to insure field posiution for D if drive fails'

Nope. Not once. Never.

It was probably too complex.

again, philosophy and game[plan he mandates during week dictates play call selection..

and he has aheadset, he hears plays,, you dont thknk sometimes he said RUN tec etc..its mangini,,but mainly its philosophy imposed,,i think rex will be alittle looser but may say 'when we are beyond this yard line do this and that to insure field posiution for D if drive fails'

I agree SJ-and we have also seen a Jets' HC once take away the offensive play calling duties from his OC...Fat Charlie was traumatized by The Tuna and had to leave town

Nope. Not once. Never.

I don't know much about this but that just seems like coaching 101, even if you take an interest on one side of the ball over the other shouldn't every HC know all the plays in his playbook?

I don't know much about this but that just seems like coaching 101, even if you take an interest on one side of the ball over the other shouldn't every HC know all the plays in his playbook?

Especially a coach who wanted "smart" players and who didn't let a physical beast play until he learned the entire playbook... you would think he would know all the plays on O, D and ST.

touches or carries?? if carries, how many pass receptions u see?

Carries.

I think TJ should be getting 250-275 while Leon should receive 125-135.

Pass receptions? Who knows. You can put him in on "x" number amount of plays, but the Quarterback isn't always going to go to Leon or else the defense won't be focusing on anything else but him.

I can also remember quite a few being blown up for losses. I thought they'd be good at the screen too, but IMO they weren't.

Whaa?

Screens IMO were one of the most effective aspects of our offense last season when we ran them. It became much more difficult to run them though when teams started to cop on that we couldn't run pass plays where the ball travels more than 15 yards. I think we were pretty good at screens all things considered.

I always figured it was just because he's not really built like an every down back and would be much more effective being used in certain situations much like a Darren Sproles or Kevin Faulk. Just my two cents although ThaiJet won't want to hear it.

I always figured it was just because he's not really built like an every down back and would be much more effective being used in certain situations much like a Darren Sproles or Kevin Faulk. Just my two cents although ThaiJet won't want to hear it.

No one's advocating him to be an every-down back. What I want is have him go from 8 touches a game to 12-15 at least. He's our best offensive weapon and it's inexcusable to flat out ignore him like we did at the end of last year.

Thomas Jones: AFC's leading rusher. Pro Bowl RB.

But yes, Leon should be getting about 125 carries a season, IMO.

I know of a crazy idea where TJ and Leon can both get carries. It is a revolutionary idea called passing less. Should have passed less with Brett and when we have clemens/ratliff we should pass less.

Trust me, Im not saying that he wasnt influenced. My point is simple, Schotty was calling the plays from HIS play book. I find it hard to believe that Mangini would overturn the opportunity to get Leon the ball more and put the game into the hands of Favre. Especially when you could see his level of frustration with Favre toward the end of the year.

Bottom line, its Schotty job as the OC to get the ball to his playmakers and to incorporate plays that Leon could capatalize on throughout the game/year. That failed to happen and I dont think its all on Mangini.

You would think so. The only thing I can think of is that the playbook changed with Favre and maybe Mangini didnt have the time to dedicate to learning it.

Archived