Jets sign Howard Green

BroadwayJ667

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/03/12/jets-sign-howard-green/

The New York Jets struck a deal with Seattle Seahawks free agent defensive tackle Howard Green, according to Albert Breer of SportingNews.com.

Green agreed to a one-year contract. No other terms were immediately disclosed.

Green has played nose guard in the past and could help fill the void created by defensive lineman C.J. Mosley leaving New York to join the Cleveland Browns. According to the article, there

Could be interesting.

Jets agree to terms with DT Howard Green

Thursday, March 12, 2009

Posted By Albert Breer 12:38 PM

The Jets have agreed to terms on a one-year contract with Seattle free-agent defensive tackle Howard Green.He helps replace C.J. Mosley, who signed with Cleveland. And with Green's experience at nose tackle, it could allow Jets coaches to move NT Kris Jenkins around, including playing him at the playmaking 3-technique spot.

Green and new Jets coach Rex Ryan were together in Baltimore in 2002, when Ryan was the Ravens defensive line coach.

http://www.sportingnews.com/blog/real_scouts/entry/view/18061/jets_agree_to_terms_with_dt_howard_green

I still hope that we are able to bring in Marques Douglas who has a bit more experience and better numbers. Green seems to be a back-up NT for Jenkins while Douglas would be the top reserve to Ellis and Coleman. At least I hope that this is the case.

Good signing though, I like it. One year deal, probably for the veteran minimum.

If this means no Douglas I am going to ****ing kill someone.

Douglas is a 3-4 DE. The Jets need depth at both NT & DE. I don't think 1 signing interferes with agreeing to terms with the other.

Douglas is more of a DE and Green a NT in a 3-4, no? Its not like we couldn't use help at both positions. One of the Jets biggest problems is depth, the more they can add the better.

Douglas is a 3-4 DE. The Jets need depth at both NT & DE. I don't think 1 signing interferes with agreeing to terms with the other.

I'm really not sure how either of you could possibly be under the impression that I don't already know these things. The Green signing implicates Douglas even though they play different positions and we need help at both because barring a trade for Jay Cutler there's going to be a rookie in the mix too.

I'm really not sure how either of you could possibly be under the impression that I don't already know these things. The Green signing implicates Douglas even though they play different positions and we need help at both because barring a trade for Jay Cutler there's going to be a rookie in the mix too.

Because it's fun implicitly questioning your football knowledge or intelligence.

But who knows who on the roster from last year is even going to stick around or if even these new guys will stick. This time of the year between second wave FA signings, late round draft picks and UDFA you're going to overload on players at every position. Granted not everyone is going to make the cut in the end, but the fact that the Jets signed someone at a different position on the DL and may or may not draft someone else at the position should have very little implications on whether or not they sign Douglas. Not to say he'll definitely sign, but if he doesn't I seriously question the impact the Green signing had. After all, if the Jets wanted him so badly, then why isn't Douglas already a Jet?

After all, if the Jets wanted him so badly, then why isn't Douglas already a Jet?

Douglas hasn't signed with the Jets, or with anybody else for that matter, because of one of Rumsfeld's famous 'known unknowns.' Last year he got no interest in free agency, signed a backup deal with Tampa, was traded to Baltimore for a song, and didn't start even when Ngata slid over to replace Gregg (though to be fair Bannan was randomly amazing). None of this makes any sense given his play in San Francisco which was, without exaggeration, dominant. Fans don't know him because he played for the 49ers, but obviously teams' disinterest can't be explained away with such facility. It's possible that there's an undisclosed medical thing, but at this point I'm guessing that Douglas is simply one of those guys who just fell off a cliff with no real decline period to speak of.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/03/12/jets-sign-howard-green/

The New York Jets struck a deal with Seattle Seahawks free agent defensive tackle Howard Green, according to Albert Breer of SportingNews.com.

Green agreed to a one-year contract. No other terms were immediately disclosed.

Green has played nose guard in the past and could help fill the void created by defensive lineman C.J. Mosley leaving New York to join the Cleveland Browns. According to the article, there

Call me crazy, but I wouldn't mind actually having more than just one backup player at a position. :P

You're not crazy. Anyone who thinks the Green signing means the end of Pouha is simply not paying attention.

The Jets lost their 3rd string NT (Mosley) and they just signed his replacement.

Jenkins has shown that he wears down as the season goes on. The Jets need to rest him throughout the season. Having 3 and maybe 4 guys in the NT rotation is a good thing.

You're not crazy. Anyone who thinks the Green signing means the end of Pouha is simply not paying attention.

The Jets lost their 3rd string NT (Mosley) and they just signed his replacement.

Jenkins has shown that he wears down as the season goes on. The Jets need to rest him throughout the season. Having 3 and maybe 4 guys in the NT rotation is a good thing.

Bingo. Especially considering that you should expect to see a lot more changes in the Jets fronts this year, which will mean more opportunities for 4 man fronts and other multiple DT sets. Between that and seeing the clear need for a better rotation that became obvious at the end of last year, there's no reason to get rid of anyone at this point.

Archived