1. 1. who's the best

• Josh Beckett
    • Jon Lester
    • James Shields
    • CC Sebathia
    • Roy Halladay
    • Joe Saunders
    • Mariano Rivera
    • Cliff Lee (hope he's not a one year wonder....)
    • Joe Nathan
    • Jon Papelbon

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I went with the most potential...as you can use best potential, best stats, best career, etc....James Shields is sneaky good.

**He's probably not worthy of "best pitcher" but I wanted to give him the nod, as he's dang good...just not against the Yanks, lol

And Rivera is still the best reliever, though Papelbon has closed the enormous gap there was a couple years ago.

**and Rivera I still don't think has lost a step, whatsoever. I honestly think he could go 3 more at a level at or better that Trevor Hoffman (stat compiler)

You're kidding right?

I'm not kidding.

2008 and 2009 AL stats for CC: 6-9 with an ERA of about 4.

He's not a top 5 AL pitcher and he's definitely not on the level of Halladay and Lee.

Did I mention that he chokes in the playoffs and that he's even more overweight than he was last year?

I'm not kidding.

2008 and 2009 AL stats for CC: 6-9 with an ERA of about 4.

He's not a top 5 AL pitcher and he's definitely not on the level of Halladay and Lee.

Did I mention that he chokes in the playoffs and that he's even more overweight than he was last year?

I don't even know where to start.

1. It's laughable to even look at ERA for 1 start, obviously it's bloated because because he only threw what 4 innings? You don't know a thing if you actually think using Monday's ERA is useful tool to evaluate a pitcher.

2. CC Sabathia pitched brilliantly both in the AL and NL in 2008. He obviously had a hard to getting it going last season, but after the first month he was as good as he was all season. April's ERA bloated his ERA for the year in the AL, so again, looking at that ERA is not a useful indicator.

Lets take a closer look at Sabathia's 2008 numbers:

March/April w/ CLE- 7.88 ERA

May w/ CLE- 2.44 ERA

June w/ CLE- 1.89 ERA

July w/ MIL- 2.27 ERA

Aug w/ MIL- 1.12 ERA

Sep/Oct w/ MIL- 2.11 ERA

3. CC Sabathia won 2006 Cy Young award, in THE AMERICAN LEAGUE.

3. Cliff Lee has been way to inconsistent in his career to be on the same level as Halladay or Sabathia.

1. It's laughable to even look at ERA for 1 start, obviously it's bloated because because he only threw what 4 innings? You don't know a thing if you actually think using Monday's ERA is useful tool to evaluate a pitcher.

What's laughable is you ignoring my post to spew your biased crap.

Did I base it off of Monday's start? No. I gave his AL stats for the last two seasons.

Did I mention his ERA from Monday? Learn how to read.

Fact: CC is 6-9 with an ERA of almost 4 in the AL in 2008 and 2009.

He's not a top 5 AL pitcher right now. Let him prove me wrong by having a dominant season. I wouldn't count on it. He's not on the level of Halladay.

Your great comeback? That he pitched well in 2006. Congratulations.

I posted relevant current facts and you start arguing that I'm basing it off Monday's start.

Monday's start is the best start to look at for a variety of reasons, but I didn't just say he's not a top 5 AL pitcher because of one bad start. I included his AL stats from last season as well.

I know you're a Yankees homer and you have to defend the $160 million, 300 pound man, but please. You're making a fool out of yourself. Let Sabathia prove that what he did in the AL in 2008 was an aberration. His first start sure didn't accomplish much toward that end.

What's laughable is you ignoring my post to spew your biased crap.

Did I base it off of Monday's start? No. I gave his AL stats for the last two seasons.

Did I mention his ERA from Monday? Learn how to read.

Fact: CC is 6-9 with an ERA of almost 4 in the AL in 2008 and 2009.

He's not a top 5 AL pitcher right now. Let him prove me wrong by having a dominant season. I wouldn't count on it. He's not on the level of Halladay.

Your great comeback? That he pitched well in 2006. Congratulations.

I posted relevant current facts and you start arguing that I'm basing it off Monday's start.

Monday's start is the best start to look at for a variety of reasons, but I didn't just say he's not a top 5 AL pitcher because of one bad start. I included his AL stats from last season as well.

I know you're a Yankees homer and you have to defend the $160 million, 300 pound man, but please. You're making a fool out of yourself. Let Sabathia prove that what he did in the AL in 2008 was an aberration. His first start sure didn't accomplish much toward that end.

Usually when you resort to name calling, that means you lost, but I'm bored, so I'll entertain you...

First of all you obviously have no idea how to read baseball statistics, the idea that it's credible to add 2009 statistics to 2008's is ridiculous. His ERA is above 12 and he's only thrown 4 innings. You actually think thats legit statistic to debate with?

Secondly, outside of April (Obviously an ERA above 7 is abnormal for Sabathia) how did Sabathia pitch poorly in the AL in 2008? I just listed for you what his numbers where for every month in the season, obviously if you take the time to look at the numbers, CC pitched exceptional during his last 2 months in the American League. Here I'll post them again, this time, actually look at them.

April w/ CLE- 7.88 ERA

May w/ CLE- 2.44 ERA

June w/ CLE- 1.89 ERA

July w/ MIL- 2.27 ERA

Aug w/ MIL- 1.12 ERA

Sep/Oct w/ MIL- 2.11 ERA

After looking at those numbers, the only thing that comes to mind is, CC had a rough first month, but was dominant the rest of the season.

Here are more statistics (or FACTS as you like to call them) for you to chew on, CC Sabathia hasn't had an ERA over 3.25 since 2005.

2006- 3.22 ERA (192.2 IP) *CYA winner

2007- 3.21 ERA (241.0 IP)

2008- 2.70 ERA (253.0)

These are legitimate statistics, and a sample size that expands 3 seasons of Sabathia's prime years. You on the other hand are basing your arguments on VERY small sample sizes, if you understood statistics, you would know that.

Finally, notice above all the innings he has been able to put up, if he's not a work horse, than I don't know who is, and in regards to his weight, obviously it has never kept him off the field, he may just look bigger because of the planeness of the Yankee uniforms, but you probably just think he gained weight because you're paying attention to him more, since he's a Yankee and all, you Yankee haters love to obsess over the Yankees. LiKe OMG HEz FaT LoLz :rolleyes:

Went with Halladay.

With Johan gone he assumed the mantel of the best in the AL.

He is a horse. A .665 winning percentage is great, but he does it in Toronto. F'ing Toronto!!!

Now, if we are talking Playoffs. I go with Beckett.

In your own words, resorting to name calling means you lost. You lost the argument because you could not deal with the actual facts and needed to start with insults.

Halladay easily. Mariano easily the best reliever.

And anyone who thinks Sabathia isn't top 5 is a clear cut biased Yankee hater. Or is trolling. Or is completely brain dead.

According to that JI troll, you already lost the argument because you need name calling.

I posted the facts. 6-9 with almost a 4 ERA is not a top 5 AL pitcher. He'd be top 5 in the NL if he was still in the NL, but the AL is not the NL.

If he goes out and has a dominant season, I will post that he's top 5 in the AL.

Plus, I'm not even the only one who says he's not top 5.

I don't think Shields belongs here yet.

Out of all the guys on the list, you pick Shields?

He's infinitely better than Joe Saunders, whose peripherals last year suggest that his success was due in large part to luck. He has a terrible K/BB ratio and if/when his BABIP regresses to the mean, he'll be hard-pressed to keep his ERA under 4.00.

Wins is the most overrated statistic to use in measuring a pitcher's relative worth.

Archived