What is the nicest thing anyone has ever done for you?

Maxman

Well, a young girl got pregnant in the 60's, carried the baby to term against her father's wishes, and put the child up for adoption because she was too young to take care of him.

Then a nice, childless couple adopted him, and gave him a wonderful life that he never would've other wise had.

I'm the child. Not only that, but today's my birthday. Bottomless gratitude goes out to that young girl.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well, a young girl got pregnant in the 60's, carried the baby to term against her father's wishes, and put the child up for adoption because she was too young to take care of him.

Then a nice, childless couple adopted him, and gave him a wonderful life that he never would've other wise had.

I'm the child. Not only that, but today's my birthday. Bottomless gratitude goes out to that young girl.

Wow, great story, slats. And Happy Birthday! :corn:

I have a couple of great stories...

My brother was recently diagnosed with autism (around the time i started college). He was about 3 at the time, and my mother had to stay home and take care of him. My dad was in a slump with work, he's in construction. Times aren't as great as they used to be. My Aunt (who is a 9-11 widow, she was married to my mother's brother.) received a ton of money on top of what she had before. She told my parents that she would pay for all of my brothers medical bills, told them not to worry about it, so that they could help me out too with my schooling expenses (I'm on an academic scholarship, but I have other expenses too). That's the nicest thing someone has ever done for me and my family.

Another one,

I had 2 uncles in the world trade center when 9-11 hit. One of them died. My other Uncle, running home, got stuck on the George Washington Bridge (he was trying to get to my Grandparent's house in Fort Lee) A complete stranger stopped him and gave him the keys to his car, and said that his wife was right behind him in her car. He gave him his business card and said, just give me a call whenever, and we will meet up for the car again. What an amazing act of unconditional kindness.

Both of these stories are amazing.

Happy Birthday, slats! From one adoptee to another, the truth of one's origins is the birthright of every man. Rock on.

Happy Birthday, slats! From one adoptee to another, the truth of one's origins is the birthright of every man. Rock on.

That's a bond right there, as I'm sure you know. Thanks!

Ugh. I tried to make a joke but now people are saying real things.

Well honestly,the nicest thing ever was my wife deciding to love me. Without her I'd be lost. Before her I was seriously a wreck, partied way too hard, got into too many fights, etc, etc. Long story short I'm a better person because of her and for her and she gave me the greatest gift of all my boy, Aiden.

thats pretty awesome viscous. sj, afo & I all know the amount of work that goes into a relationship if you've any chance of making it work for the long term.

Nice to see a guy who appreciates what he has.

slats, jetbabe & everyone else, awesome stories

Happy Bday dude! Great story

awesome slats & happy birthday :cheers:.

I think it's pretty cool that you were told about the situation. I'm curious as to what went into the decisionmaking to tell you & if you are interested in meeting your real mom

I think it's pretty cool that you were told about the situation. I'm curious as to what went into the decisionmaking to tell you & if you are interested in meeting your real mom

The Catholic adoption agency my parents went thru completely lied to them. Told them a story about a married couple, sick father, many kids, and unable to take care of the baby. I always knew I was adopted, and knew that story for as long as I can remember. I only found out the truth when I did meet my biological mother 7 or 8 years ago.

My brother was adopted thru the same agency and we were told his happily married parents died in a small plane crash. Turned out he was the child of a boss and his secretary. He was never as curious as me, but started digging to look up some medical info.

we were raised catholics us 9 kids. Dad was a drinker & a ladies man I guess. My mom who was a devout catholic tried her best but could take his womanizing ways no longer & divorced him knowing she would be excommunicated from the church. single mom with 9 kids. her brothers & sisters wanted to take some of us but mom refused to split us up. graduated valedictorion of her high school but no $$$ available for college.

minimum wage at the hospital cafeteria & somehow pulled it off as we are a close,loving family.

After the funeral late last year my brothers & sisters & I were going thru items she specially willed to each of us & picking out anything that gave us fond memories. It was amazing that we were all trying to give eachother stuff instead of for ourselves.

Well my sister found a box full of correspondance between mom & dad. love letters if you will. She forgave him many,many times & was truly in love with him.

rip mom & yes you are the nicest thing anyone's ever done for me

Wow JW alot of love in this story.. being a child of a mother who has 5 sisters and 2 brothers. i know how it is to have a big family that loves each other.. we might not always see eye to eye on things but at the end of the day we still love each other and thats all that matters

Shortly after my mom died, my dad, 4 year old brother and I went shopping at an outdoor mall. Needed new school clothes. My father - completely clueless, out of his element, out of sorts and worried about my brother - well, somehow he forgot about me - I was wandering off looking at clothes. Well, he and my brother leave and drive home while I'm perusing the ailes of clothes. An announcement came. Stores were closing. Time to leave! I panick. Where is my dad? Now I'm outside. Crying. Where is my DAD??? I walk - and walk- in the parking lot - out on the street - it's dark and scary. Why did my dad leave me? Like I wasn't fragile enough? Anyway, two boys and two girls - teenagers - come walking towards me - coming from a wooded area. "Hey kid" one says. "What's wrong? Are you lost?" Now I knew I wasn't supposed to talk to strangers - but under the circumstances I had no other choice. They were very comforting. One of the girls was holding my hand. A boy went to a payphone and called the cops. Another gave me his jacket to put over my shoulders and keep me warm. They were kind and gentle and did not leave my side. They did everything they could to help me. A cop comes - and as the cop gets out of his car to talk to me I see my dad's car speeding through the parking lot like a manical man who must have left his 8 year old daughter at an outdoor mall on a Saturday night.

And I would have gotten away with it too; if it weren't for those meddling kids.

My mother married the man I consider my father when I was 2 years old. He raised me as if I was his own son. In fact I didn't even know he wasn't my biological father until I was in high school.

People always ask me about my biological father, and I have never even asked who he is. I don't care. My dad is my dad, I don't need another. To me, it would be a slap in his face if I went looking for my "real" father.

My mom and dad told me Gypsies left me on the front porch. There was a picture of a little boy on our living room wall and one day I asked who it was. My dad told me "That's your brother, he didn't listen very well and we gave him back to the gypsies. And if you don't listen, we'll give you back to the gypsies."

Dead serious.

My mom and dad told me Gypsies left me on the front porch. There was a picture of a little boy on our living room wall and one day I asked who it was. My dad told me "That's your brother, he didn't listen very well and we gave him back to the gypsies. And if you don't listen, we'll give you back to the gypsies."

Dead serious.

THat's OK my brothers always told me I was found in a dumpster behind the bowling alley. :cheers:

The Catholic adoption agency my parents went thru completely lied to them. Told them a story about a married couple, sick father, many kids, and unable to take care of the baby. I always knew I was adopted, and knew that story for as long as I can remember. I only found out the truth when I did meet my biological mother 7 or 8 years ago.

My brother was adopted thru the same agency and we were told his happily married parents died in a small plane crash. Turned out he was the child of a boss and his secretary. He was never as curious as me, but started digging to look up some medical info.

You really ought to PM me.

My mother married the man I consider my father when I was 2 years old. He raised me as if I was his own son. In fact I didn't even know he wasn't my biological father until I was in high school.

People always ask me about my biological father, and I have never even asked who he is. I don't care. My dad is my dad, I don't need another. To me, it would be a slap in his face if I went looking for my "real" father.

thats pretty cool you feel that way thorr. mrs willys mom impregnated (twice)very young by a us sailor. (she's british).

married an amazing guy and then had a child together. mr's willy feels the same way about her dad. he's her dad & no need to chase up the biological father.

Got his final checkup days before he retired at 60 yrs old. skin cancer that was missed in his previous checkup. spread to his brain within 8 months & he died. He was an absolutely amazing guy.

it gets worse. mrs willys mom could not go on without him & took her own life 6 months later.

I never realized what a strong lady mrs willy is & how bad it must have been for her til I lost my mom.( & my mom was old & ready to go)

luckily fer mrs willy she is blessed with an awesomely fantastic & amazing husband lol

I have a couple of great stories...

I had 2 uncles in the world trade center when 9-11 hit. One of them died. My other Uncle, running home, got stuck on the George Washington Bridge (he was trying to get to my Grandparent's house in Fort Lee) A complete stranger stopped him and gave him the keys to his car, and said that his wife was right behind him in her car. He gave him his business card and said, just give me a call whenever, and we will meet up for the car again. What an amazing act of unconditional kindness.

Jesus that's a great story.

Good thread, Max.

we were raised catholics us 9 kids. Dad was a drinker & a ladies man I guess. My mom who was a devout catholic tried her best but could take his womanizing ways no longer & divorced him knowing she would be excommunicated from the church. single mom with 9 kids. her brothers & sisters wanted to take some of us but mom refused to split us up. graduated valedictorion of her high school but no $$$ available for college.

minimum wage at the hospital cafeteria & somehow pulled it off as we are a close,loving family.

After the funeral late last year my brothers & sisters & I were going thru items she specially willed to each of us & picking out anything that gave us fond memories. It was amazing that we were all trying to give eachother stuff instead of for ourselves.

Well my sister found a box full of correspondance between mom & dad. love letters if you will. She forgave him many,many times & was truly in love with him.

rip mom & yes you are the nicest thing anyone's ever done for me

Great story

Your brothers and sisters have something money cant buy.

I can respect that. In fact, I do, every which way but loose. Some are more curious than others, some don't care at all; but it was never a 'real mother' or 'real father' thing with me. It was the lies, and of the tons of people I've met in my travels, it's an overriding sticking point. Hey, those lies are mine.

There's no cut and dried pat and neat reaction, Thor. As long as you feel settled with things, and it seems you do, that's all that matters. I think when people engage a search looking for relationships is where it all goes south. Never was my own intention, and if it didn't unfold that way, I couldn't have cared less. I only wanted the truth. That part right there, that's what it was all about.

I can respect that. In fact, I do, every which way but loose. Some are more curious than others, some don't care at all; but it was never a 'real mother' or 'real father' thing with me. It was the lies, and of the tons of people I've met in my travels, it's an overriding sticking point. Hey, those lies are mine.

There's no cut and dried pat and neat reaction, Thor. As long as you feel settled with things, and it seems you do, that's all that matters. I think when people engage a search looking for relationships is where it all goes south. Never was my own intention, and if it didn't unfold that way, I couldn't have cared less. I only wanted the truth. That part right there, that's what it was all about.

I understand wanting to know. I get that. Luckily, I was in a great situation with a good man that made the other person irrelevant to me.

I understand wanting to know. I get that. Luckily, I was in a great situation with a good man that made the other person irrelevant to me.
The significant difference is that you have access to your information. You made a choice not to pursue it. The difference is, others do not share the same choice because they don't have one. I'm sure you see the distinction.

Oh stop.

Did I say there was anything wrong with being childish? But PR37 was talking about great stories, not funny ones.

Speaking of the nicest things for me, one time Verde.......

made a really cool graphic for me. That was really nice.

Archived