Kellen Wins First Practice(According To Cimini)

greekjetsfan128

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Kellen easily won if you look at the stats and the fact that he was working with the 1st team.

He is already fitting into the Rex Ryan QB: Someone who won't make mistakes and can manage the team to 10-12 wins a season, possibly more.

First of many wins for Kellen this season.

Yeah, he won the first mini-camp practice...next step, Pro-Bowl! :rolleyes:

I care. If the guy can't even make it on special teams we got really screwed drafting this bum. I say trade him and the 17th to Jacksonville for their first and get some value out of him.

Skillset to be a good special teams player != Skillset required to be a good 3-down LB

Gholston could be the best ST player in the league and that would still make him a colossal bust. It's no secret that the kid has struggled so far. Hopefully, the new regime will not stay the course with his development and will allow him to play to his strengths (situational pass rusher) while he learns the nuances of playing 3-4 OLB.

I couldn't care less if he struggles as a wedgebuster or to cover punts. That's not what he was brought in here to do... I think the lesson in humility is over and it's time to focus on getting return on the massive investment.

April 16, 2009

The winner on Day 1 of Camp Ryan? That's a no-brainer: The weather.

As for the quarterback competition, that, too, is an easy call: Kellen Clemens.

Working with the second team in the afternoon session, Clemens found a nice rhythm and made several nice throws in the 7-on-7 and 11-on-11 drills. He really looked the part, showing a good command of the offense. Then again, that's what you'd expect this early in the process, considering his advantage in experience over Brett Ratliff.

In the 7-on-7, Clemens completed 10 of 12 passes for 159 yards. Mind you, that's a rough estimate. The sun was blinding and it was tough to see the yard lines, so you'll have to cut me some slack. The point is, Clemens was red hot, his finest moment a nice throw to WR David Clowney on a deep seam that went for a 64-yard TD. (I know this isn't a revelation, but Clowney is fast. Really, really fast. It's hard to believe that Eric Mangini never gave him a chance.)

Some QB perspective: Clemens worked against the second-team defense, which no doubt helped his cause. Even so, he was spot on with his timing, hooking up several times on crossing routes. His lone hiccup came in the 11-on-11, when he uncorked a wobbly deep ball that fell well short of the intended receiver. If Brett Favre still were around, he would've shot it out of the sky. Overall, Clemens was 5-for-6 for 57 yards in the 11-on-11.

Ratliff struggled, throwing two interceptions in the 7-on-7 (by CBs Darrelle Revis and Lito Sheppard). The Sheppard pick was deflected by S Jim Leonhard on a pass that was slightly behind the receiver over the middle. The Revis pick was along the sideline. All told, he was 5-for-8 for 73 yards in the 7-on-7. He did have a signature moment.

Showing good ball handling, Ratliff pump-faked Sheppard on a stop-and-go and hit WR Jerricho Cotchery for 34 yards. In 11-on-11, Ratliff finished 4-for-5, 42 yards, his lone incompletion a ball that was batted at the line by NT Kris Jenkins.

Other observations: WR Brad Smith made a diving catch despite blatant contact by a cornerback. Sorry, I didn't get the number of the guilty party.

.The Jets brought in a few players for tryouts. One guy who jumped out was TE Chris Conklin, formerly of Wingate (N.C.) College. With Chris Baker now playing for Bill Belichick in New England, and with Dustin Keller sitting out with a cold, Conklin got plenty of reps. He was fairly impressive as a receiver. Former DL Kareem Brown continued to work as a tight end.

Remember last spring's minicamp hero, RB Danny Woodhead, the small-college hero from Chadron (Neb.) State? Well, he's back after recovering from major knee surgery. He was his usual feisty self, trying to shoot through small cracks in the line.

During positional drills, Rex Ryan spends all his time with the defense. O.C. Brian Schottenheimer runs the offense. It's almost like two practices.

It's only natural for Ryan to stick with his bread-and-butter, but sooner or later, he'll have to balance his time. Right now, the defense needs the most attention because it's learning a new system. The offense is beginning its fourth year in Schotty's scheme.

April 16, 2009

The winner on Day 1 of Camp Ryan? That's a no-brainer: The weather.

As for the quarterback competition, that, too, is an easy call: Kellen Clemens.

Working with the second team in the afternoon session, Clemens found a nice rhythm and made several nice throws in the 7-on-7 and 11-on-11 drills. He really looked the part, showing a good command of the offense. Then again, that's what you'd expect this early in the process, considering his advantage in experience over Brett Ratliff.

In the 7-on-7, Clemens completed 10 of 12 passes for 159 yards. Mind you, that's a rough estimate. The sun was blinding and it was tough to see the yard lines, so you'll have to cut me some slack. The point is, Clemens was red hot, his finest moment a nice throw to WR David Clowney on a deep seam that went for a 64-yard TD. (I know this isn't a revelation, but Clowney is fast. Really, really fast. It's hard to believe that Eric Mangini never gave him a chance.)

Some QB perspective: Clemens worked against the second-team defense, which no doubt helped his cause. Even so, he was spot on with his timing, hooking up several times on crossing routes. His lone hiccup came in the 11-on-11, when he uncorked a wobbly deep ball that fell well short of the intended receiver. If Brett Favre still were around, he would've shot it out of the sky. Overall, Clemens was 5-for-6 for 57 yards in the 11-on-11.

Ratliff struggled, throwing two interceptions in the 7-on-7 (by CBs Darrelle Revis and Lito Sheppard). The Sheppard pick was deflected by S Jim Leonhard on a pass that was slightly behind the receiver over the middle. The Revis pick was along the sideline. All told, he was 5-for-8 for 73 yards in the 7-on-7. He did have a signature moment.

Showing good ball handling, Ratliff pump-faked Sheppard on a stop-and-go and hit WR Jerricho Cotchery for 34 yards. In 11-on-11, Ratliff finished 4-for-5, 42 yards, his lone incompletion a ball that was batted at the line by NT Kris Jenkins.

Other observations: WR Brad Smith made a diving catch despite blatant contact by a cornerback. Sorry, I didn't get the number of the guilty party.

.The Jets brought in a few players for tryouts. One guy who jumped out was TE Chris Conklin, formerly of Wingate (N.C.) College. With Chris Baker now playing for Bill Belichick in New England, and with Dustin Keller sitting out with a cold, Conklin got plenty of reps. He was fairly impressive as a receiver. Former DL Kareem Brown continued to work as a tight end.

Remember last spring's minicamp hero, RB Danny Woodhead, the small-college hero from Chadron (Neb.) State? Well, he's back after recovering from major knee surgery. He was his usual feisty self, trying to shoot through small cracks in the line.

During positional drills, Rex Ryan spends all his time with the defense. O.C. Brian Schottenheimer runs the offense. It's almost like two practices.

It's only natural for Ryan to stick with his bread-and-butter, but sooner or later, he'll have to balance his time. Right now, the defense needs the most attention because it's learning a new system. The offense is beginning its fourth year in Schotty's scheme.

Kellen I, I, I

Ratlif, me and Kellen..

makes a difference..

Nice to see on Clemens. Hopefully he'll make the most of this opportunity after he squandered last year's.

Clemens learned from Chad--to keep your job, throw it short, compile a high completion percentage, and don't throw picks in camp. At the end of the day, the coach is going to pick the guy that he thinks won't hurt the team, scoring points be damned.

Clemens learned from Chad--to keep your job, throw it short, compile a high completion percentage, and don't throw picks in camp. At the end of the day, the coach is going to pick the guy that he thinks won't hurt the team, scoring points be damned.

CPF, gotta love it.

Kellen easily won if you look at the stats and the fact that he was working with the 1st team.

He is already fitting into the Rex Ryan QB: Someone who won't make mistakes and can manage the team to 10-12 wins a season, possibly more.

First of many wins for Kellen this season.

How the hell can someone judge that someone easily won? How do you know Clemens didn't throw 4 dump offs, while Ratliff threw it deep 3 times? I don't know, and neither do you.

Now for someone to say "Clemens" and "won't make mistakes" in the same sentence just doesn't pay attention.

Kellen I, I, I

Ratlif, me and Kellen..

makes a difference..

It's really dead on. Outside of the 64 yard TD pass, what we're reading here right now sounds like the beginning of summer 2008 repeated, except with Kellen playing the part of Chad and Ratliff taking over Kellen's role.

It's really dead on. Outside of the 64 yard TD pass, what we're reading here right now sounds like the beginning of summer 2008 repeated, except with Kellen playing the part of Chad and Ratliff taking over Kellen's role.

:ahhh::ahhh::ahhh:

What did Mangini and Pennington do to Kellen!!!!!!!

Noooooooo.....

CPF, gotta love it.

You know as well as anyone SMC, CPF isn't just about short passes at a high completion rate.

I have no problem with Clemens or any other Jets QB playing that style of football... to an extent. Just as long as they can zip it when need be, throw an acceptable deep ball from time to time and oh yeah... not play like a scared little bitch when it counts. Give me a version of Chad with a better arm and who doesn't fold like a tent when the pressure is on, and I'm actually kind of ok with that. You can win games, including big games, that way. A lot of QBs have. That's all we ask.

:ahhh::ahhh::ahhh:

What did Mangini and Pennington do to Kellen!!!!!!!

Noooooooo.....

Taught him how to win a training camp battle apparently. :P

Let's just hope when the game is on the line, he hasn't learned to play scared. The one positive you can definitely take from Clemens from 2007, he by far played his best football in crunch time. The exact opposite of one Mr. JC Pennington

You know as well as anyone SMC, CPF isn't just about short passes at a high completion rate.

I have no problem with Clemens or any other Jets QB playing that style of football... to an extent. Just as long as they can zip it when need be, throw an acceptable deep ball from time to time and oh yeah... not play like a scared little bitch when it counts. Give me a version of Chad with a better arm and who doesn't fold like a tent when the pressure is on, and I'm actually kind of ok with that. You can win games, including big games, that way. A lot of QBs have. That's all we ask.

Bingo!

And what does CPF stand for?

I got a chuckle out of that line. I also agree with your post dead on. I spent about 20 some years of my life hoping and praying for that exact type QB too!

I got a chuckle out of that line. I also agree with your post dead on. I spent about 20 some years of my life hoping and praying for that exact type QB too!

I don't doubt it. Lets be honest, there's only an emotionally-scarring 2004 game that I'm sure you're very familiar with that proves the point quite clearly. The Jets defense completely owned your wet-behind-the-ears rookie phenom all game long, yet it was the 5-year vet on the other side of the field who looked like a scared little kid.

Given that Clemens was playing with / against the #2s, I would guess Lowery, Strickland or Coleman.

I'd put my $ on Lowery, the slowest of the bunch.

Good to see that Ratliff is getting a chance to work with the 1st team once in a while so his backers can stop bitching.

I don't doubt it. Lets be honest, there's only an emotionally-scarring 2004 game that I'm sure you're very familiar with that proves the point quite clearly. The Jets defense completely owned your wet-behind-the-ears rookie phenom all game long, yet it was the 5-year vet on the other side of the field who looked like a scared little kid.

Yeah the Jets played a whale of a defensive game plus Ben was nervous as hell to boot. Even so, we fans are no dummies, we can see how a QB responds to adversity and such. That's why i'm kinda hoping you guys get a crack at Sanchez. Your coaches are no slouches either and if they are having open competition then i'm thinkin' either QB has shown enough on tape to them to think he's franchise QB material. Sure they are prolly hopeful one pans out but no evidence supports it yet.

It will be more than once in a while. Especially after he wins the starting job.

:rl:

Ratliff will never be a starting QB by winning anything in the NFL. The only way he ever starts in a real NFL games is because a QB is badly under performing or gets hurt.

Archived