PLEASE Anybody but Heward-Bey!!!!!

Obrien2Toon

All I keep seeing everywhere is him being projected to go to the Jets. Are you kidding me? This guy was no better than a 4th rounder before the combine. Then he runs a 4.29 and he is the next J.Rice. If you can't play football, you can't play.

Escpecially after Ghoulston last year, we can't make the same mistake. And for what it's worth, the other team that is really high on him is the Raiders. Cause Al davis is nuts.

My plan would be to take K.Moreno in the first and then trade up in the second and take H. Nicks. T. Jones is overrated and is getting old. And if you seen the two between Bey and Nicks play it isn't even close. Throw out the combine and Nicks gets picked 4 rds ahead of bey. For what its worth Nicks had more td's and almost as many yds in one season than Bey had in his entire career.

Absolutely wrong that DHB was a fourth rounder before the combine. Everybody knew about his physical attributes and the way he can impact the game with the ball in his hands before the combine. He was easily a first round prospect, and really hasn't moved up at all.

Hakeem Nicks probably won't be available at 52 anyway, and may have issues taking care of himself. He's a talented player, but he's basically a more talented Cotchery. We need some diversity at the WR position and somebody with the speed to stretch the field, which Nicks doesn't have. He gets most of his work done after the catch.

You can also throw the stats out the window, because Nicks played with a better quarterback in a system that threw the ball a lot more. DHB did not produce well, yes, but he was in a run-first offense and had limited opportunities, which he did take advantage of. He's kind of raw as a route runner and won't break tackles after the catch, but he's got the size, speed, and hands to be an elite NFL wideout and anybody who follows the draft knew that after his freshman or sophomore year. He's been thought of very highly since then.

DHB definitely does have issues, his route running and no matter what way you slice it he didn't produce as much as a guy as talented as he is should have. Calvin Johnson did a lot more in a similar situation. But he's still an excellent prospect in his own right, everybody has their blemishes. We put a high emphasis on production so I don't think we're going to draft him, but whoever does is getting a guy with all of the tools-including hands-to be a perennial Pro Bowler.

Absolutely wrong that DHB was a fourth rounder before the combine. Everybody knew about his physical attributes and the way he can impact the game with the ball in his hands before the combine. He was easily a first round prospect, and really hasn't moved up at all.

Hakeem Nicks probably won't be available at 52 anyway, and may have issues taking care of himself. He's a talented player, but he's basically a more talented Cotchery. We need some diversity at the WR position and somebody with the speed to stretch the field, which Nicks doesn't have. He gets most of his work done after the catch.

You can also throw the stats out the window, because Nicks played with a better quarterback in a system that threw the ball a lot more. DHB did not produce well, yes, but he was in a run-first offense and had limited opportunities, which he did take advantage of. He's kind of raw as a route runner and won't break tackles after the catch, but he's got the size, speed, and hands to be an elite NFL wideout and anybody who follows the draft knew that after his freshman or sophomore year. He's been thought of very highly since then.

DHB definitely does have issues, his route running and no matter what way you slice it he didn't produce as much as a guy as talented as he is should have. Calvin Johnson did a lot more in a similar situation. But he's still an excellent prospect in his own right, everybody has their blemishes. We put a high emphasis on production so I don't think we're going to draft him, but whoever does is getting a guy with all of the tools-including hands-to be a perennial Pro Bowler.

First off Bey was never considered a first round pick. Maybe not a 4th, but never a first. And I know Nicks won't be available at 52, but he will be, I believe in the 40's. And they can trade up like I said.

You're right about the type of player he is, yes he won't stretch the field. But you won't take a guy like A. Boldin who makes the pro bowl every year. I would.

And as far as their systems and having a better qb, you're wrong there. North Carolina had 2 qbs that they rotated back and forth, with neither one of them very good. Maryland didn't have a good qb either, but they did throw the ball more often. You can check the stats.

If the Jets dont trade with the Jags to move up...If we stay @ 17...Percy Harvin is the man to draft.

I liked harvin until I saw the reports he failed a drug test at the combine. If it's true, he may have to enter the NFL's substance abuse program

so you'd be drafting a guy with 1 strike before he hits the podium on draft day (if report is true)

and a guy who had his whole future in fornt of him, the world at his feet, the global economy in crises and this guy is looking at a million dollar pay day

and he knows the combine = drug test

and he gets high

I think harvin just fell to the 3rd round a la lav "90% discount" coles

you can't say cuz ghoston is a flop (so far) that DHB will flop because they both did well at the combine

there are reasons to have concerns with DHB, but if he produced at a big time school, a guy his size with that speed goes #3 at the worst

the jets really need a guy to threaten a defense deep, to make the safeties worry

DHB may give a team just that

I would like to trade down to the mid 20's and take a shot DHB, pettigrew or nicks will be there and draft o-line depth with the extra pick

I liked harvin until I saw the reports he failed a drug test at the combine. If it's true, he may have to enter the NFL's substance abuse program

so you'd be drafting a guy with 1 strike before he hits the podium on draft day (if report is true)

and a guy who had his whole future in fornt of him, the world at his feet, the global economy in crises and this guy is looking at a million dollar pay day

and he gets high

This report came out a few weeks ago and teams still look at the kid as a first rounder...a lot of teams reportedly have him as a top 5-10 type talent, but because of said issues, he's more likely to get drafted in the bottom of round 1. I will go on record saying he won't drop out of the first, but wouldn't be surprised if he ended up in the beginning of round 2.

I am all for your idea of trading down and nabbing Pettigrew, but I think there are a couple teams who may snag him ahead of us if we do so, but getting him and another pick would be ideal.

All I keep seeing everywhere is him being projected to go to the Jets. Are you kidding me? This guy was no better than a 4th rounder before the combine. Then he runs a 4.29 and he is the next J.Rice.

Lol. Jerry Rice ran a 4.6+

My plan would be to take K.Moreno in the first and then trade up in the second and take H. Nicks.

That would be the smart thing to do.

This report came out a few weeks ago and teams still look at the kid as a first rounder...a lot of teams reportedly have him as a top 5-10 type talent, but because of said issues, he's more likely to get drafted in the bottom of round 1. I will go on record saying he won't drop out of the first, but wouldn't be surprised if he ended up in the beginning of round 2.

I am all for your idea of trading down and nabbing Pettigrew, but I think there are a couple teams who may snag him ahead of us if we do so, but getting him and another pick would be ideal.

I read rumors about harvin, but when I heard he may be forced to be a part of the NFL SAP, man that hurts. that means next positive test is like 3 game suspension, right ? and now he gets random tests I think ?

I would take him off of my board entirely

I like the idea of trading down, and if you don't get pettigrew, you can look at nicks or DHB

First off Bey was never considered a first round pick. Maybe not a 4th, but never a first. And I know Nicks won't be available at 52, but he will be, I believe in the 40's. And they can trade up like I said.

You're right about the type of player he is, yes he won't stretch the field. But you won't take a guy like A. Boldin who makes the pro bowl every year. I would.

And as far as their systems and having a better qb, you're wrong there. North Carolina had 2 qbs that they rotated back and forth, with neither one of them very good. Maryland didn't have a good qb either, but they did throw the ball more often. You can check the stats.

You're just flat out wrong about where DHB was projected, or you were using terrible sources. He's been a first rounder since he was on the draft radar.

Never said I wouldn't take a Boldin-esque player, you'd be silly not to. But Boldin is a sure thing. Nicks is anything but. My point was that both have their warts. At this point you cannot definitively say that a player with DHB's skill set will not be successful in the league, and you cannot say a player with Nicks' production will be successful. Because players with talent have been better pros than college players, and players who put up numbers have busted at the pro level because of lack of physical ability or mental ability/work ethic.

Not all about the stats. DHB had few opportunities, and took advantage of them. Maryland's quarterbacks did not get him the ball efficiently, and they had no other real offensive weapon. Rather than spitting numbers or reported numbers at me, presuming you've watched the games, why don't you tell me about his weaknesses instead? Why, besides lack of ideal production, will he absolutely fail in the league?

BroadwayJoe!! One of my favorite SWDC posters...

I agree Harvin's in the late 1/early 2 range. Depending on what they do in the first round, I think Al Davis takes a chance on him in the second. I thought he'd be an intriguing reach for them at 7 before the weed issues, now I think if they somehow don't draft a WR at 7 he becomes very intriguing at their second. He's not afraid to go for the same position in consecutive rounds though. Remember he went with I believe Fabian Washington and Stanford Routt in 1 and 2 a few years back. Whoever it was it was two corners.

And I agree there may be teams that try to grab Pettigrew if we trade down, so if we really want him the best option is standing pat. However, there could be some other solid options, particularly at WR, in the late first.

You're just flat out wrong about where DHB was projected, or you were using terrible sources. He's been a first rounder since he was on the draft radar.

Never said I wouldn't take a Boldin-esque player, you'd be silly not to. But Boldin is a sure thing. Nicks is anything but. My point was that both have their warts. At this point you cannot definitively say that a player with DHB's skill set will not be successful in the league, and you cannot say a player with Nicks' production will be successful. Because players with talent have been better pros than college players, and players who put up numbers have busted at the pro level because of lack of physical ability or mental ability/work ethic.

Not all about the stats. DHB had few opportunities, and took advantage of them. Maryland's quarterbacks did not get him the ball efficiently, and they had no other real offensive weapon. Rather than spitting numbers or reported numbers at me, presuming you've watched the games, why don't you tell me about his weaknesses instead? Why, besides lack of ideal production, will he absolutely fail in the league?

I actually agree with everything you said here. It's not a guarantee either way you go. But I would always go with production over skill set. And the big thing is where they are going. You will definetly have to use the 1st on Bey, where like I said you can trade up in the 2nd to get Nicks. And with the way he is falling, maybe you won't even have to. And I believe you will be getting the better player.

As far as watching them both play, this is the key factor. I watch alot more college football than pro, not saying I'm an expert. And I've seen them both play numerous times. But when you watch Nicks, you just can tell he is a special player. Bey has great plays, maybe once or twice a game because of his speed. But that's it. Nicks is a football player, Bey is an athlete.

My plan would be to take K.Moreno in the first and then trade up in the second and take H. Nicks. T. Jones is overrated and is getting old.

if that happens i'd be pretty happy with our draft. maybe we could trade jones and our 3rd to move up again. if there is a player we want before our 3rd round pick.

I actually agree with everything you said here. It's not a guarantee either way you go. But I would always go with production over skill set. And the big thing is where they are going. You will definetly have to use the 1st on Bey, where like I said you can trade up in the 2nd to get Nicks. And with the way he is falling, maybe you won't even have to. And I believe you will be getting the better player.

As far as watching them both play, this is the key factor. I watch alot more college football than pro, not saying I'm an expert. And I've seen them both play numerous times. But when you watch Nicks, you just can tell he is a special player. Bey has great plays, maybe once or twice a game because of his speed. But that's it. Nicks is a football player, Bey is an athlete.

I think it depends on the situation. You can't always go production over skill set, and you can't always go skill set over production. I think Heyward-Bey has a better skill set for what we need right now, because towards the end of the year a major part of Favre sucking was that nobody could separate on a consistent basis. DHB can do that for you, but we also need a guy who can start right now. Nicks has the work ethic questions, but of the two I'd rather have him starting immediately. Only I don't like his skill set for us. So it's kind of a wash in my eyes.

I love Maclin, because he has the speed I think we could use at the position and put up big numbers in college. He can impact the game in many ways (return game if we decide to use him there, reverses, screens) and can get open deep. Granted, he played in a gimmick offense, but his numbers were flat out impressive and he's incredibly explosive with the ball in his hands. Britt I like also, because he's fast enough to separate and has great size. Plus he can make plays after the catch. Almost strikes me as a mix of DHB and Nicks actually, more Nicks but faster than DHB and more able to "go up and get it" than Nicks. He's a personal favorite this draft as well, and these two guys are really the WR's I'd like. I just think it's tough to trash Heyward-Bey because he's got a real good shot to be a stud in the league. I just don't think we're the right situation for him.

and he gets high

Ya know the reason why we didnt draft warren sapp that year right? he smoked pot too... and randy moss went high because he had bad character and he was high..literally.. and guess how that all worked out... 50 percent of the league smokes..

Ya know the reason why we didnt draft warren sapp that year right? he smoked pot too... and randy moss went high because he had bad character and he was high..literally.. and guess how that all worked out... 50 percent of the league smokes..

Yeah, but less than 50 percent of the league is dumb enough to smoke close enough to test positive when they know exactly when they are going to be tested at just about the biggest job interview of their life...

so your entire argument is based on 2 players out of the last 20 years ?

I'm not even gonna waste my time looking up all the busts

• 10 months later...
I don't want Harvin because he is small and the Jets do not need another small WR.

Yeah...neither do I...

Not like he would go out and win ROY...wayyyy too small...just like Barry Sanders

Great to pull old posts from the dust just to see what was said, and what happens...

Archived