The best closer in NY baseball, so far this season:

Scott Dierking

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

SD, you Yankee hater you. In all honesty, Bobby Parnell has been great, but he isn't as dominating as Joba was, at least when he was the 8th inning guy anyway. The kid has been simply amazing, he can get it up to triple digits and he quietly developing a very nice slider.

But if you are comparing the 2 bullpens, there really is no comparison. The Mets arguably have the best pen in all of baseball, the Yankees have one of the worst.

SD is on my ignore list. How gay is this thread?

Its not as gay as you'd think it is. But you can clearly tell he's trying to bait yankee fans into a time consuming argument.

That said, I'd take Rivera 40 years from now walker and all.

Not quite, Frankie won a world series as a rookie with LAA. I don't think pressure gets to him.

as a SETUP MAN. The pressure is just a tad different as a closer.

postseason:

His era as a setup man in '02: 1.92 ERA

His era as a closer: 4.84 ERA

SD is on my ignore list. How gay is this thread?

As gay as someone responding in it, who supposedly can't read it.

or, as gay as someone who openly admitted a year ago "to only watching a few games of baseball a year", but proceeding to argue vehemently on baseball points in this forum.

Youdecide.

What was the point behind this thread?

Numbers wise, on June 1st, Krod has better numbers than Mariano. Okay.

Marco Scutaro has better numbers than Jeter, too.

Yup.

Not making it out to be any thing other than that.

Everyone else seems to be treating it like it is spitting on the Koran

Babe Ruth is the most prodigious home run hitter ever, also.

But that don't help you win today.

I'm just stating a fact like you are yourself bub.

I also mentioned it's the first two months of the season. Tip of the cap to Frankie and I'd like to see him keep it up and see if Mo improves.

If you can gloat over two months superiority in the closer dept I think it's OK to gloat about 11 years of a HoF career.

Unfortunately, I am not a Mets hater so as much as you want to bait me into an argument, think about it objectively. You're gloating over two months... and using the "just saying" defense.

Oh also, as Zeebers pointed out and quite accurately so, our bull pen is horse crap... that's like comparing the offenses. One teams is clearly better (and here comes the Mets is better).

I'm just stating a fact like you are yourself bub.

I also mentioned it's the first two months of the season. Tip of the cap to Frankie and I'd like to see him keep it up and see if Mo improves.

If you can gloat over two months superiority in the closer dept I think it's OK to gloat about 11 years of a HoF career.

Unfortunately, I am not a Mets hater so as much as you want to bait me into an argument, think about it objectively. You're gloating over two months... and using the "just saying" defense.

Oh also, as Zeebers pointed out and quite accurately so, our bull pen is horse crap... that's like comparing the offenses. One teams is clearly better (and here comes the Mets is better).

Where was the gloat on my part?

The Yankees play in a band box ;)

Where was the gloat on my part?

The Yankees play in a band box ;)

And the Mets play in a pitchers park. Objectivity.

Not like I don't know our 80 something homers isn't due to our new park. Here's an interesting question, switch the pitchers teams and do you still think K-rod is putting up the #'s he is?

The gloat is the thread my friend.

And the Mets play in a pitchers park. Objectivity.

Not like I don't know our 80 something homers isn't due to our new park. Here's an interesting question, switch the pitchers teams and do you still think K-rod is putting up the #'s he is?

The gloat is the thread my friend.

The gloat, is implied by you.

Everything is what you read into it.

I stated a simple fact. You have made it like it is some big deal.

The gloat, is implied by you.

Everything is what you read into it.

I stated a simple fact. You have made it like it is some big deal.

Wait... so it's not a fact that the Yankees have had the best closer in NY up until the past 2 months then?

Good for you and your team. Enjoy it. You're the one that needs to throw in the jabs after people make comments.

Blah blah Babe Ruth

Blah blah band box

etc.

Like I said, 2 months in, K-rod is better, enjoy.

Right now -Rod has the better stats. And the Mets pen is better than the Yankee pen, overall.

However, as long as he pitches, Mo is the best ever.:cheers:

But, let's see where these guys are pitching in September and October. And who is doing what.

Wait... so it's not a fact that the Yankees have had the best closer in NY up until the past 2 months then?

Good for you and your team. Enjoy it. You're the one that needs to throw in the jabs after people make comments.

Blah blah Babe Ruth

Blah blah band box

etc.

Like I said, 2 months in, K-rod is better, enjoy.

Well, I would take Randy Myers and Tug McGraw and Jesse Orosco over some years, but recently that has been the case.

What jabs? Just counterpunching to sensitivities. ;)

Right now -Rod has the better stats. And the Mets pen is better than the Yankee pen, overall.

However, as long as he pitches, Mo is the best ever.:cheers:

But, let's see where these guys are pitching in September and October. And who is doing what.

Agreed.

Best ever for this era, no doubt.

Hard to compare eras of closers. The game is vastly different.

Agreed.

Best ever for this era, no doubt.

Hard to compare eras of closers. The game is vastly different.

This is correct, but..... While Eck had some unreal seasons with Oakland as a closer. While Lidge was fantastic last season. (There are many other examples.)

But, Mo has done it since 1996, through now. That is a streak of longevity, including an unreal number of pressure October post-season games, of excellence. No one has matched this, and few have even approached Mo's accomplishments.

This is correct, but..... While Eck had some unreal seasons with Oakland as a closer. While Lidge was fantastic last season. (There are many other examples.)

But, Mo has done it since 1996, through now. That is a streak of longevity, including an unreal number of pressure October post-season games, of excellence. No one has matched this, and few have even approached Mo's accomplishments.

But I look at what the Goose Gossages did, the Tug McGraws, and look at it in awe.

Undeniably, Mo is the best of this era, which started with Eck.

But I look at what the Goose Gossages did, the Tug McGraws, and look at it in awe.

Undeniably, Mo is the best of this era, which started with Eck.

See, Goose did not dominate as long as MO has. I mean really dominate, like MO.

Now however, your argument of different eras comes to play. Goose regularly pitched 2 innings at a shot. He came in with men on base, and blew the ball past everyone. (I recall a game in 1978 or so, against Seattle. I believe there were bases loaded, no one out. Goose came in, and threw 9 pitches. 3 Ks. No one had a chance. Rizutto was going crazy on the radio, and I was going crazy watching that game. The hitters had no chance, and I mean no chance. There were no speed guns then, but I would bet he approached 100 MPH that day.

But for 1 inning, of any game, with a 1 run lead in the 9th, MO is the guy I want there.

See, Goose did not dominate as long as MO has. I mean really dominate, like MO.

Now however, your argument of different eras comes to play. Goose regularly pitched 2 innings at a shot. He came in with men on base, and blew the ball past everyone. (I recall a game in 1978 or so, against Seattle. I believe there were bases loaded, no one out. Goose came in, and threw 9 pitches. 3 Ks. No one had a chance. Rizutto was going crazy on the radio, and I was going crazy watching that game. The hitters had no chance, and I mean no chance. There were no speed guns then, but I would bet he approached 100 MPH that day.

But for 1 inning, of any game, with a 1 run lead in the 9th, MO is the guy I want there.

You would have to believe that the innings. and the situations that Gossage and the like came into, shortened their effectiveness in terms of an enduring career.

Heck, what did they pitch some years, 140 innings?

You don't see that now.

I was at that Mets-Red Sox game where Johan was pitching and Parnel was throwing heat. That was some sick stuff.

It will be interesting to see if the Mets still consider him as a starter, or eventual closer, or a chip in a trade.

Any trade talk will include him in the discussions, I am sure. he may make Eddie Kunz available now, though I have no data on how Kunz is doing this year

Archived