Jets WR's

StillerPaul

They'll be fine. It would be nice to have a "the guy" prototypical #1 WR, but teams have put together offenses that can score without one. San Diego for a number of years; 2007 Jaguars and Seahawks; 2006 Bears and Seahawks; KC until Herm got there...

Glad Tannenbaum didn't panic and give up a first, a fourth, plus a $50M contract for Brandon Marshall. There will be games I'll wish we had someone of his skill, but he's too much of a douchebag and we'll be fine without him. We can draft our own and a rookie QB doesn't need a headache like him.

They'll be fine. It would be nice to have a "the guy" prototypical #1 WR, but teams have put together offenses that can score without one. San Diego for a number of years; 2007 Jaguars and Seahawks; 2006 Bears and Seahawks; KC until Herm got there...

Glad Tannenbaum didn't panic and give up a first, a fourth, plus a $50M contract for Brandon Marshall. There will be games I'll wish we had someone of his skill, but he's too much of a douchebag and we'll be fine without him. We can draft our own and a rookie QB doesn't need a headache like him.

Good post. I've always said you guys are adequate at WR. As Sanchez gets more comfy your WR's will flourish. No sense at all in trading away your future to upgrade the position when ya need those picks going forward to get young guys to complement the young guys ya got and add depth. Looks like you guys are headed in the right direction.

BTW how did Cotchery look as the #1 ?

Cotchery might be the #1 possession guy in the game, but he's not a #1 WR. Keller will lead the team in receptions this year, and maybe yards, too. Stuckey was shut out in the second half yesterday. Clowney was invisible, and Smith is an extra RB more than he is a WR.

Sanchez's performance is much more impressive given the group of receivers he had to work with. If anything happens to Cotch or Keller, this offense is in deep doody.

Good post. I've always said you guys are adequate at WR. As Sanchez gets more comfy your WR's will flourish. No sense at all in trading away your future to upgrade the position when ya need those picks going forward to get young guys to complement the young guys ya got and add depth. Looks like you guys are headed in the right direction.

Exactly. Adequate is good for teams, playoffs and even super bowls, but it is never good enough for message boards.

I thought our receivers could not get open. ;)

All in all, Shotty did not help matters. Did the Jets throw once on first down all game? You knew the Texans were going to crowd the LOS and dare Sanchez to beat them. Fortunately, he did. Along with the defense.

THROW ON SOME FIRST DOWNS!!!!!!!

I remember Brian Schottenheimer saying before the season that "we can win with this receivers".

If Sunday was indication, he may be right. It'll be interesting to see how they do against NE; we'll definitely need Clowney to get into the action to help stretch the field a bit.

Look at it this way: this is what happened without using Clowney.

Also, when Clowney is on then either Richardson or Keller isn't. With Keller we're already sort of going three wide, like SD with Gates, KC/Atl with Gonzalez, Dallas with Witten, etc. So with Clowney it's almost like going 4-wide with no FB. I can't see putting Clowney on the field only to take Keller off the field. Not too often, anyway.

Look at it this way: this is what happened without using Clowney.

Also, when Clowney is on then either Richardson or Keller isn't. With Keller we're already sort of going three wide, like SD with Gates, KC/Atl with Gonzalez, Dallas with Witten, etc. So with Clowney it's almost like going 4-wide with no FB. I can't see putting Clowney on the field only to take Keller off the field. Not too often, anyway.

Good point.

I just think we'll need to mix Clowney in there against the different looks we'll see from NE. 3-wide WITH Keller in the game is not out of the question, unless I'm mistaken about how we run our offense. Clowney can bring us an added dimension (deep threat) along with what Cotchery, Keller and Stuckey do well (moving the chains).

If its just Cotch, Keller and Stuckey and they're doing their jobs well like they did on Sunday, I could care less if Clowney makes zero catches the rest of the year, because we're fine with just those 3 doing the receiving.

It's funny, but Stuckey legitimately looks like a young-version of Coles. Good after the catch, moves well in traffic, makes the best of his smaller size...etc. Clowney is Mr. August until proven otherwise, but I don't think we're much worse off than we were the past few years, and I was a big Coles fan for a long time. Stuckey's done a fine job of taking his place thus far, and I think the big test for him will be this Sunday in seeing how he does against the Patriots, which is when Coles tended to play his best ball.

What impressed me most yesterday honestly was Keller. The Dallas Clark comparisons from 2008 were spot on. He's a nightmare for nickel and dime backs as well as linebackers. He made a few outstanding moves against defenders and Sanchez clearly likes throwing him the ball.

New England's secondary looks extremely suspect tonight, so IMO this group won't have its first real test until week 3 against Tennessee. We'll get a good gage of how far they'll be able to take us after that game.

Archived