Revis is the best Jet I've ever seen

Matt39

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What about Chrebet and Vinny?

Chrebet and Vinny are not NFL greats like Martin. Vinny had one magical season here, the rest was so-so. Chrebet is a Jet legend because he's a local kid who played college ball locally, walked on team and became a #2/#3 receiver and he's tough as nails, but he's no NFL great. No great player. Just a legend for the Jets fans.

Oldie. ;)

I am-I'll tell you though my only contact with the Jets during most of the 90's was through a highlight clip here or there and 2 Dolphins games a year-and the Daily News and NY Post the next day editions-there WAS no way to watch those ugly helmet Jets days-I saw the records and didn't actually miss much though I know...I did fly up for a few games though

Cool thread, Matt. Revis is elite, not just because he's kicked ass through two games this year, but also because he held up pretty well the last couple of years in a conservative scheme where the pass rush wasn't nearly as effective. It might be too early to call him the best Jet of the modern era, but he's clearly on the road towards that.

For me, the best Jets player I've witnessed, based solely on talent, was John Abraham when he played OLB his rookie year. I thought he was the closest thing to Derrick Thomas I had ever seen. Of course, Herm made him an undersized DE and he turned out to be a fruit bitch ****-hound, but there was no denying his ability when focused, and not being a self-serving douche.

My position-by-position Jets team of guys that I've seen would be this:

QB: Brett Favre, pre-injury-- This speaks more to how crappy the Jets QB's have been than to how great Favre was before his arm gave out. I thought about putting Pennington here, but his puny arm was never going to lead the Jets to wins over big playoff defenses. Boomer and Ken O'Brien were average with flashes of goodness, and Vinny T. could make you puke with some of his picks. Favre wins by default.

RB: Freeman McNeil-- Scream all you want about Curtis Martin, but his Jets career will forever be defined by his disappearing acts in the playoffs versus Denver and the Steelers.

FB: Brad Baxter-- Had a short run in green, but his lead blocking was terrific, highlight-film stuff. Baxter was so good, he made Blair Thomas look competent.

TE: Mickey Shuler-- Just always seemed to be open.

WR's: Al Toon, Keyshawn Johnson, Wayne Chrebet, Lavernues Coles

OL: Mawae, Brick, Faneca, Dewayne White, Jumbo Elliot

DE: Dennis Byrd, Shaun Ellis, Hugh Douglas

DT: Kris Jenkins, Joe Klecko

OLB: John Abraham, Mo Lewis

ILB: Kyle Clifton, David Harris-- Clifton was a man on the inside, and Harris sheds blocks better than any ILB not named Ray Lewis.

FS: Kerry Rhodes-- He's a unique athlete at the position, but it would be nice if he played more physical football.

SS: Brian Washington-- Only because Victor Green couldn't cover anyone.

Cool thread, Matt. Revis is elite, not just because he's kicked ass through two games this year, but also because he held up pretty well the last couple of years in a conservative scheme where the pass rush wasn't nearly as effective. It might be too early to call him the best Jet of the modern era, but he's cleat on the road towards that.

For me, the best Jets player I've witnessed, based solely on talent, was John Abraham when he played OLB his rookie year. I thought he was the closest thing to Derrick Thomas I had ever seen. Of course, Herm made him an undersized DE and he turned out to be a fruit bitch ****-hound, but there was no denying his ability when focused, and not being a self-serving douche.

QB: Brett Favre, pre-injury-- This speaks more to how crappy the Jets QB's have been than to how great Favre was before his arm gave out. I thought about putting Pennington here, but his puny arm was never going to lead the Jets to wins over big playoff defenses. Boomer and Ken O'Brien were average with flashes of goodness, and Vinny T. could make you puke with some of his picks. Favre wins by default.

RB: Freeman McNeil-- Scream all you want about Curtis Martin, but his Jets career will forever be defined by his disappearing acts in the playoffs versus Denver and the Steelers.

FB: Brad Baxter-- Had a short run in green, but his lead blocking was terrific, highlight-film stuff. Baxter was so good, he made Blair Thomas look competent.

ILB: Kyle Clifton, David Harris-- Clifton was a man on the inside, and Harris sheds blocks better than any ILB not named Ray Lewis.

FS: Kerry Rhodes-- He's a unique athlete at the position, but it would be nice if he played more physical football.

Your putting Brick there and not Mangold?

Moss sez Revis had Safety help over the top all game. Is that true?

I'm not knocking him, he did his job very well.

You for real?

Revis had the least amount of help I've seen him have so far. I was there, so I could be wrong about this. But its was man almost all day.

Moss sez Revis had Safety help over the top all game. Is that true?

I'm not knocking him, he did his job very well.

If you go and look at the breakdown of how many times the Jets blitzed Sunday you will see that there weren't enough people left on the field to double Moss. At the very most the Jets played cover one. The reason Brady tried to hit Moss deep on the ball that was picked by Revis is because it was cover one.

Cool thread, Matt. Revis is elite, not just because he's kicked ass through two games this year, but also because he held up pretty well the last couple of years in a conservative scheme where the pass rush wasn't nearly as effective. It might be too early to call him the best Jet of the modern era, but he's clearly on the road towards that.

Great post TS. I only would have added Gastineau. And I agree that Herm ruined Abraham. Imagine him in this defense?

Great post TS. I only would have added Gastineau. And I agree that Herm ruined Abraham. Imagine him in this defense?

Yes.

A 43 DE playing a 34 OLB role and him having 3 sacks one game and then disappearing for 2 or 3 games and then getting hurt for every big game.

MAN THAT WOULD BE AWESOME!!!

Nick Mangold > John Abraham.

You for real?

Revis had the least amount of help I've seen him have so far. I was there, so I could be wrong about this. But its was man almost all day.

Well, if you were there then Moss is BS the media. I'm trying to find the quote. but they moved it on PF.Com and Redzone.Com changed their layout.

Heres what BB said:

Jets' defensive approach. Belichick was a bit more expansive on how the Jets' defense schemed against the Patriots. "They ran a lot of blitzes and played a lot of two-deep man and single one-deep man -- what we call man-three. They ran a little zone, but not much. Most of it was man-to-man coverage combined with some elements of pressure." That put pressure on the receivers to get open and win one-on-one matchups. The approach was similar to what the Ravens ran when Jets coach Rex Ryan was their defensive coordinator, and Belichick mentioned the Ravens during the interview.

I'm reading "two - deep man" as 2 DB's covering the deep part of the field. Keeping everything in front.

Well, if you were there then Moss is BS the media. I'm trying to find the quote. but they moved it on PF.Com and Redzone.Com changed their layout.

Heres what BB said:

Jets' defensive approach. Belichick was a bit more expansive on how the Jets' defense schemed against the Patriots. "They ran a lot of blitzes and played a lot of two-deep man and single one-deep man -- what we call man-three. They ran a little zone, but not much. Most of it was man-to-man coverage combined with some elements of pressure." That put pressure on the receivers to get open and win one-on-one matchups. The approach was similar to what the Ravens ran when Jets coach Rex Ryan was their defensive coordinator, and Belichick mentioned the Ravens during the interview.

I'm reading "two - deep man" as 2 DB's covering the deep part of the field. Keeping everything in front.

Bro I don't care what BB said. Moss/Revis was Man to Man all day.

He is going to cost a bunch but he's worth it. CB's like that dont come around that often. Tanny can renegotiate next year flashing money( U know the guaranteed stuff and signing bonus) and JETS training facility are good carots on a stick. If he doesnt remain a JET watch him end up in pittsburgh and thats like giving steelers another ring with the defense they have already.

Yes.

A 43 DE playing a 34 OLB role and him having 3 sacks one game and then disappearing for 2 or 3 games and then getting hurt for every big game.

MAN THAT WOULD BE AWESOME!!!

Nick Mangold > John Abraham.

With the right coach things might have been different for him. That was my point. Abraham had a first step that I have only seen from one or two players in NFL history.

Revis was man to man all game and it was bump and run. Those 10 yard cushions was for Mangini's Defense. I think bart must of told Revis with your skills u can talk some smack because Revis said I had moss all game, if he went to the bathroom I went with him. lol

Bart said Revis is better then advertised, and what revis did against 2 WR's that had big games in the other game they played says it all.

With the right coach things might have been different for him. That was my point. Abraham had a first step that I have only seen from one or two players in NFL history.

Maybe, but you cannot teach consistency OR staying healthy.

If you could, Chad Pennington would be all world.

Maybe, but you cannot teach consistency OR staying healthy.

If you could, Chad Pennington would be all world.

Funny but Abraham hasn't missed a game in two years. I'm thinking with a different coach he would have been different. That was sort of the point. We will never know I guess. He has outperformed any year he ever had under Herm in Atlanta though. No you can't teach toughness - but I've seen guys stick it out for certain coaches and not for others.

Heres what BB said:

The Jets blitzed 33 out of 47 pass attempts. Meaning that they were atleast in cover one 33 out of 47 plays. Also two deep man means that DB's are man'd up on their WR's no matter where that WR goes on the field. In this coverage a DB can take chances underneath knowing they have safety help. This is totally different than cover two zone where you bump the WR and play the flats. If every corner could hold moss to 24 yards catching by playing two deep man they would have done it long ago.

Heres what BB said:

I have to be honest here, the truth is probably somewhere in between Moss assertions and the concept that it was Revis single covered on Moss all day. As far as Moss' claims, its not exactly unheard of that these top receivers tend to exaggerate the truth when they don't play well in a game. There are no bigger egomaniacs in the NFL then those amongst the group of top NFL receivers and Moss definitely falls into that group. It reminds me of when during Revis's rookie year when the Jets played the Lions, Roy Williams started getting all pissy while still on the field and going as far as making comments to Rhodes about babying the rookie, just because he was getting shut down. If there is any question that Moss was acting like an ass with his comments, all doubt disappeared when he talked about what a great CB he could surely be.

On the other hand, its kind of unlikely to think that any CB in the league plays a top WR one on one all game and never has any help. Just based on coverage design in the play its going to happen. Revis definitely seemed to be manned-up on Moss all day, but I have no doubt that he had help over the top at least on occasion. Either way, regardless of the situation I think there is little doubt that Revis played great, and I'm very happy regardless of any help he received.

How young are you? I thought you were old. You don't remember Marvin Powell? Randy Rasmussen? Joe Fields? Riggins? Burgess Owens?

There are a bunch of guys I haven't seen enough of, including Namath, Snell, Maynard and Sauer and maybe some of the old lineman (Philbin) & DBs (Beverly, Johnny Sample). Guys like Grantham and Boozer might deserve consideration. There are a bunch of WR/TEs (Barkum, Caster, Walker) I might take over your bunch, but a lot might be determined by styles-having a burner, a red zone threat, a possession guy.

He is going to cost a bunch but he's worth it. CB's like that dont come around that often. Tanny can renegotiate next year flashing money( U know the guaranteed stuff and signing bonus) and JETS training facility are good carots on a stick. If he doesnt remain a JET watch him end up in pittsburgh and thats like giving steelers another ring with the defense they have already.

Stop it! He's signed through 2012.

agreed-no other position in free agency garners the big bucks like an elite CB does....SIGN THIS BEAST-or lose him to Oakland or Washington or somebody. Right now, starting THIS year I'm, starting to think we may just have a hall of fame quality player on our team; Revis

How young are you? I thought you were old. You don't remember Marvin Powell? Randy Rasmussen? Joe Fields? Riggins? Burgess Owens?

There are a bunch of guys I haven't seen enough of, including Namath, Snell, Maynard and Sauer and maybe some of the old lineman (Philbin) & DBs (Beverly, Johnny Sample). Guys like Grantham and Boozer might deserve consideration. There are a bunch of WR/TEs (Barkum, Caster, Walker) I might take over your bunch, but a lot might be determined by styles-having a burner, a red zone threat, a possession guy.

Stop it! He's signed through 2012.

good stuff 2-7...Emerson Boozer has to be right up there with McNeil, Martin and Riggins who was hybrid-call him a RB ...Matt Snell perhaps our greatest FB ever. Richard Caster was a force-and Jerome Barkum was Jerricho Cotchery before there was a Cotchery

Bro I don't care what BB said. Moss/Revis was Man to Man all day.

OK, jBro

I know he was M2M at the LOS all game, but heres the Moss quote:

http://www.projo.com/patriots/content/projo_20090922_patriots_jets_moss.1a6d695fb.html

Randy Moss said after Sunday's game against the Jets that Darrelle Revis had not played the role of shutdown cornerback in holding him to just four catches on 24 yards:

"All week he was talking about bring a shutdown corner, but there really are no shutdown corners in the league because they have help most of the game. I probably could be a shutdown corner if I had (Pats' safety Brandon) Meriweather over the top for the whole game. You have to give credit where credit is due; I'm not taking anything away from their whole defense, they made plays and we didn't get things done."

I aint taking anything away from the guy, he played a great game, its just to me, a "shutdown CB" covers 1 sideline all by his lonesome. Thats all. I've watched a younger Ty Law cover speedy Santana Moss when he was a NYJ from the LOS to the back goal line. Ditto vs Randy Moss when he was a Vike.

James Hasty was very, very good as well. But Revis is still the best I have seen on the Jets.

Bobby jackson was great. Glenn is the best right now. When all's said and done, it could very well be Revis. He's also got great character and work ethic, which seperates him from Deion "I'll show up after baseball season" Sanders which means he may very well end up being some people's best ever. Getting ahead, but possible.

And I agree with the Gastineau thing. Jerk, roid head,scab, but the most dominating defensive player the jets have had. You could have fun just following 99 around all game.

Archived