Breaking: NFL Owners Approve Overtime Changes for Postseason [MERGED]

PS17

Stupid, IMO. Why change the rules for the postseason and not the regular season?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/football/nfl/03/23/overtime/index.html?eref=BrkNews

ORLANDO -- In a move that will at least remove the NFL's nightmare scenario of a Super Bowl that's unduly impacted by the flip of a coin, the league's owners on Tuesday surprisingly approved a modified sudden death overtime proposal.

The new rule, which will be in effect for the NFL's postseason only, allows the team that loses the coin flip at the start of overtime to have a possession unless a touchdown is scored -- either offensively or defensively -- on the first possession.

Twenty-eight of the owners voted to approve the proposal, with four voting against it -- Buffalo, Minnesota, Baltimore and Cincinnati. Twenty-four votes were needed to approve the proposal.

The league's coaches were said to be overwhelmingly against the measure, but the owners were swayed by the weight of statistics showing that 59.8 percent of the games since 1994 -- when kickoffs were moved back to the 30-yard line -- were won by the team winning the overtime coin toss.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/football/nfl/03/23/overtime/index.html?eref=BrkNews#ixzz0j1ualuIH

Get a free NFL Team Jacket and Tee with SI Subscription

**Interesting that Minnesota was one of the four teams do vote against it.

ESPN NFL - Mortensen: New OT proposal for playoffs approved (each team gets possession if 1st team kicks FG)

I am 100% completely against this. With each passing day the NFL more emphatically states, "offense is more important than defense". Both teams had plenty of chances to win the game before OT, this whole thing is nonsense.

They should just go to the college system. They always have to make things so freaking complicated.

This is an even worse idea.

Football is about field position and clock management. College football takes both of those out of the equation.

It was fine the way it was.

They should just go to the college system. They always have to make things so freaking complicated.

The college system is even worse.

I think the NFL OT system was fine as it could be. Sudden death, every opportunity to win the game in 60 minutes. If you don't win the toss, man up and play defense to get the ball back.

Whatever...

The college system is even worse.

I think the NFL OT system was fine as it could be. Sudden death, every opportunity to win the game in 60 minutes. If you don't win the toss, man up and play defense to get the ball back.

Whatever...

Now thats just asking for too much.

i think it's a great idea....and should (and probably will) be used in the regular season eventually as well. each team SHOULD get at least one possession in overtime. i also like the idea of not giving said team possession if their defense goes out and just gives up a TD. the fact that the teams that won the toss won the game 60% of the time is pretty significant.

For all those who like this: how will you like it if the Jets go into OT in the AFC Championship Game, win the toss, kick a FG and then lose because our dead tired defense can't stop Peyton Manning?

How are you going to feel when an aged, worn, bruised and battered Peyton Manning wins the OT coin toss but can only muster a field goal drive, and then fresh legs Sanchez gets the ball back and throws a touchdown pass to Dustin Keller across the middle for a touchdown?

For all those who like this: how will you like it if the Jets go into OT in the AFC Championship Game, win the toss, kick a FG and then lose because our dead tired defense can't stop Peyton Manning?

For all those who don't like this: how will you like it if the jets go into OT in the AFC Championship Game, lose the toss, have Peyton Manning slash our tired defense yet hold him to a field goal?

Which I can guarantee you WILL happen.

This rule hurts the current Jets, big time.

the fact that the teams that won the toss won the game 60% of the time is pretty significant.

This "fact" isnt entirely correct.

The team who won the coin toss only won on the first possession 35% of the time. 65% of the time both teams had a shot to win.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d817068a6&template=null&confirm=true

Q. Rich, again on the overtime. On the 59.8% and the other number, is that teams that win the coin toss winning on their first possession?

RICH McKAY: No, that's winning the game.

Q. Winning the game?

RICH McKAY: That's correct. The winning on their first possession number is now, in what I'll call the second era, which is '94 to 2009, that number is now 34.4%. Before '93, that number was 25.4%.

Q. And do you have a number on how many of those were won by field goals?

RICH McKAY: Yeah. Hold it. I've got numbers for everything. On the first possession, those field goals are 26.2% of the time people win on the first drive with the field goal.

Q. That's since '94?

RICH McKAY: That's correct.

I have a question... if one team drives down and kicks a fg and then the other team does.. does it go back and forth until someone scores a TD?

I think losing on a field goal in OT is bull**** and that's why I like this rule, especially in a big game. It would force a team to play for a score and not for a ***** field goal. I couldn't stand the Pats winning those sb's on fgs.. very frustrating.

I think losing on a field goal in OT is bull**** and that's why I like this rule, especially in a big game. It would force a team to play for a score and not for a ***** field goal. I couldn't stand the Pats winning those sb's on fgs.. very frustrating.

what about a FG to end a game at the end of the 4th quarter? Is that bull****?

If its bull**** in OT, then its bull**** in regulation.

I'll settle for each team requiring a possession in OT. That makes sense. Ending a game on a TD on the first possession is somehow better than kicking a FG?

Im ok with doing away with the coin toss and giving the home team the right to choose ball or kick.

Archived