Hughes Named Yanks 5th Starter

Otter

YES!!!!!

Best move of the offseason! :yes:

Really? Well, we'll see how long he's in this role...so far this spring he has showed me nothing. I hope now that he's be given the opportunity, it will light a fire under him...damn, he looked god awful in his last appearance...two HR's which included the walkoff.

And if you want to say it's only a spring game, then how in the hell was he judged and promoted?

Really? Well, we'll see how long he's in this role...so far this spring he has showed me nothing. I hope now that he's be given the opportunity, it will light a fire under him...damn, he looked god awful in his last appearance...two HR's which included the walkoff.

And if you want to say it's only a spring game, then how in the hell was he judged and promoted?

I've long been a big believer in Hughes. I think he's got the stuff and the temperament to be a major contributor for a long time.

I know that it is heresy to say, but there has to be some level of disappointment in the Yankee organization right now that both Joba and Hughes are not at least mainstays in their rotation.

Joba's arm/injury 2 years ago is the problem.

Hughes is still very young. Mentally he still needs to develop and get a lot tougher.

I know that it is heresy to say, but there has to be some level of disappointment in the Yankee organization right now that both Joba and Hughes are not at least mainstays in their rotation.

Dude, they are 24 and 23 respectively. If by the end of this year, Hughes has established himself as a starter and Joba has established himself as Mo's setup man and eventual replacement, I think everybody will be happy.

I think the Yankees know they mishandled Joba.

From Mark Feinstand's Twitter page...

"Girardi makes it official: Hughes is the 5th starter."

Thankfully the Joba starter experiment is done. He's back in bullpen where he belongs and hopefully thrive.

I remember getting killed for suggesting the exact same thing the past few years. But he has 4 pitches they all said.

Dude, they are 24 and 23 respectively. If by the end of this year, Hughes has established himself as a starter and Joba has established himself as Mo's setup man and eventual replacement, I think everybody will be happy.

I stand by my statement, that the Yankees, looking at these players 2 years ago, had them inked at least numbers 3 and 4 in their rotation.

That is the hype that they carried, and the way that the Yankees promoted them through the system.

There are quite a few pitchers that are established at 23 and 24 in baseball, even pitchers with less hype than these.

I stand by my statement, that the Yankees, looking at these players 2 years ago, had them inked at least numbers 3 and 4 in their rotation.

That is the hype that they carried, and the way that the Yankees promoted them through the system.

There are quite a few pitchers that are established at 23 and 24 in baseball, even pitchers with less hype than these.

There are also significantly more pitchers who have established themselves after the age of 25 (which is particularly dumb way to measure development anyway - most look at major league starts and innings pitched).

There are also significantly more pitchers who have established themselves after the age of 25 (which is particularly dumb way to measure development anyway - most look at major league starts and innings pitched).

Do you think that the Yankees thought 2 years ago that Joba and Hughes would be established in their rotation in 2010?

I know it is conjecture, but put your Cashman shoes on.

I think the Yankees spending a boatload on Burnett and CC shows how much faith they have in their young pitchers.

On the other hand, the Sox signing Lackey might show their lack of faith not in their youngsters but in Wakefield coming back from his back injury and Dice-K finally getting it.

Do you think that the Yankees thought 2 years ago that Joba and Hughes would be established in their rotation in 2010?

I know it is conjecture, but put your Cashman shoes on.

First of all, Hughes is in the rotation in 2010. As far as your question, they probably thought they could be. But they weren't banking on it 100%. Cashman is smart enough to know that injuries can occur and development can sometimes hit a bump in the road. Young pitchers are unpredictable. And both of these guys have had injury setbacks. This is why they continue to stockpile pitchers in the draft.

For the rest, anyone counting Joba out of the rotation in the future at this point isn't paying attention to this organization at all.

First of all, Hughes is in the rotation in 2010. As far as your question, they probably thought they could be. But they weren't banking on it 100%. Cashman is smart enough to know that injuries can occur and development can sometimes hit a bump in the road. Young pitchers are unpredictable. And both of these guys have had injury setbacks. This is why they continue to stockpile pitchers in the draft.

For the rest, anyone counting Joba out of the rotation in the future at this point isn't paying attention to this organization at all.

Joba was healthy last year. He was in the rotation last year. Moving him to the bullpen this year is a step backwards. No way else you can sugar coat that.

At least Joba has proven he can do something in the rotation. he has just move backwards.

Hughes has proven nothing as a starter yet. he is an unknown quantity at this point.

Yes it sucks for the Yankees. They screwed up royally last year. Had those guys progressed the Yankees may have won the World Series.

:winking0001:

Joba was healthy last year. He was in the rotation last year. Moving him to the bullpen this year is a step backwards. No way else you can sugar coat that.

At least Joba has proven he can do something in the rotation. he has just move backwards.

Hughes has proven nothing as a starter yet. he is an unknown quantity at this point.

Yes an unknown with a World Series ring, a great season under his belt and being counted on to pitch like 4 games in the first 2 months.

I know your point is that he isn't a #1. But my point is that it is nice to have so much talent at the back end of the rotation.

Yes an unknown with a World Series ring, a great season under his belt and being counted on to pitch like 4 games in the first 2 months.

I know your point is that he isn't a #1. But my point is that it is nice to have so much talent at the back end of the rotation.

Exactly. It's not like these guys didn't contribute to the WS win. They needed both of them to win it.

And the Yankees would not have had to spend even more $$$$ ;)

I can see your point. Personally I wish they were both in the rotation, but that's the nature of the Yankees. These guys were not going to have the opportunity to struggle around in the middle of the rotation forever. Not both of them. Especially when they have already proven effective in relief.

The fact is, if they were the #1 and #2 starters on the Yankees, the team simply would have sunk that money into 7-8th inning guys and outfield help.

Exactly. It's not like these guys didn't contribute to the WS win. They needed both of them to win it.

I can see your point. Personally I wish they were both in the rotation, but that's the nature of the Yankees. These guys were not going to have the opportunity to struggle around in the middle of the rotation forever. Not both of them. Especially when they have already proven effective in relief.

The fact is, if they were the #1 and #2 starters on the Yankees, the team simply would have sunk that money into 7-8th inning guys and outfield help.

The Yankees (and Mets and others) have the option to be "impatient" with kids, and not throw them to the wolves. In some cases it can help, others it hinders.

Most of the teams are trying to make sure they get as many "free" years out of them, before arbitration.

The Yankees (and Mets and others) have the option to be "impatient" with kids, and not throw them to the wolves. In some cases it can help, others it hinders.

Most of the teams are trying to make sure they get as many "free" years out of them, before arbitration.

Right, but the fact is they are both good pitchers. Sure I'd rather they were 1-2 in the rotation with Sabathia #3 starter, but this is preferable to having two ****heads that can't pitch (Kei Igawa?).

Right, but the fact is they are both good pitchers. Sure I'd rather they were 1-2 in the rotation with Sabathia #3 starter, but this is preferable to having two ****heads that can't pitch (Kei Igawa?).

Did you just defend and knock the Yankees in the same post?

27 is closer to 25 than it is 30.

My bad. I just got done reviewing the roster for this Yankees squad so the # was 28 in my head. But I should let them play the games first I guess. Even though it is a foregone conclusion.

Archived