Smoot signs with Vikes?

MiamiJet

http://vikings.kfan.com/sports/nflguide/default.aspx

Vikings finalize deal with Smoot

Last Update: 3/8/2005 6:07:21 PM

KFAN dot com

The Vikings and free-agent cornerback Fred Smoot agreed Tuesday to a six-year deal, the FAN has learned.

Terms were not disclosed, but the deal is believed to be close to the six-year, $35 million contract the Vikings' other top cornerback, Antoine Winfield, signed last March.

Smoot, a former second-round pick who played his first four seasons in Washington, rejected a contract offer from the Redskins last week that included a $10 million bonus.

Smoot skipped his planned flight to Kansas City on Tuesday afternoon while his agent, James Cook, ironed out details with Vikings officials at Winter Park.

Smoot, considered one of the NFL's premier cover cornerbacks, has 182 tackles and 16 interceptions in 60 career games. He battled shoulder and back problems in 2004, but played in 15 games -- missing only the Redskins' victorious season finale against the Vikings.

The 25-year-old Mississippi State product also has had chest and knee injuries, playing in all 16 games just once in his four-year career.

Smoot will start opposite Winfield in Minnesota, replacing restricted free agent Brian Williams.

NFL Network just reported the same thing. Smoot has signed with The Vikings.

Since free agency began, The Jets have not contacted nor have they been in contact with any available free agent CB's.

Looks like to me, They are either going to roll with what they have or focus in on drafting a CB in the first round of the draft.

Vikings | Smoot Agrees to Terms - from www.KFFL.com

Tue, 8 Mar 2005 16:19:05 -0800

Jay Glazer, of FOX Sports, reports the Minnesota Vikings have agreed to terms with free agent CB Fred Smoot (Redskins) on a multi-year deal worth $34 million, including a $10.8 million signing bonus.

](*,)

RS, I was actually way more upset with Pat Williams than Fred Smoot ... cause Williams was within our price range and was a steal for what the Vikings paid ... but I could make a strong argument that Smoot was overpaid here, and that kind of money is certainly out of our range

But here's the deal ... Smoot is a Good Corner, but IMO he is NOT worth 34 Million dollars with over 10 Million in SB

There are only a few Corners in football who are worth that kinda doe, and IMO Fred Smoot is not one of them

RS, I was actually way more upset with Pat Williams than Fred Smoot ... cause Williams was within our price range and was a steal for what the Vikings paid ... but I could make a strong argument that Smoot was overpaid here, and that kind of money is certainly out of our range

But here's the deal ... Smoot is a Good Corner, but IMO he is NOT worth 34 Million dollars with over 10 Million in SB

There are only a few Corners in football who are worth that kinda doe, and IMO Fred Smoot is not one of them

Bravo.

I feel exactly the same. I was very disappointed in not landing Williams, for exactly the same reasons you pointed out.

Smoot is good, but Minnesota has spent a boatload of cash on two good corners the past two years.

Guys, we still need to sign a T, backup QB, and S. Terry has good cap room to sign some good players, but I don't believe you go crazy and overspend on a good one. This is the reason why Terry has ben able to keep Chad, Ellis AND Abraham, while also bringing in players like Barton, McCareins, Kendall and Coles.

What is also amusing is that Minnesota might still suck, especially when you factor in Chicago and Detorit as young, talented, hungry teams with high draft picks and good grades in free agency. Ted Cotrell has good talent on that D and they have seemed to REGRESS, not improve.

That's fine though. John Lynch and Antoine Winfield can continue to have their wives wear the pants and make their decisions for them. :D I'm glad they didn't come here.

The Jets secondary could be the same as last season.

CB-David Barrett

CB-Donnie Abraham

CB-Derrick Strait

CB-Ray Mickens

FS-Erik Coleman

FS-Jon McGraw

SS-Reggie Tongue

Maybe The Jets move McGraw to SS to compete with Tongue.

To me that means that The Jets have to go secondary with their 26th selection in the first round.

Fingers are crossed on someone like Justin Miller being there at 26 because he also fills a hole returning punts and kicks.

When you don't fill holes in free agency and the two biggest holes on The Jets were created by Ferguson and McKenzie's departure.

You have to almost be perfect in the draft and hit on your first three picks. Sort of like The Jets 2001 draft. Santana, Lamont and Kareem. Three guys who are now gone.

I just hope the Jets have a friggin plan here. I can't stand another year of adding Sam Garnes late and being told he is the answer. Only to watch him run away from tackles. Boy was that guy gutless.

I just hope the Jets have a friggin plan here. I can't stand another year of adding Sam Garnes late and being told he is the answer. Only to watch him run away from tackles. Boy was that guy gutless.

:D:o:lol:

At least I can laugh about it now, but back then, it was horrible.

Give Bradway some credit. After Garnes and Nutten, Bradway has been pretty good at bringing in good, young talent.

Kendall is probably the oldest vet brought in by Terry, but he is by no means on his last legs.

Barton, Carter, Blaylock, McCareins, and Putzier(I hope) are all relatively young.

He said it himself that his goal this off season was to get younger in the D backfield, so I'm interpreting that as a cornerback being drafted at #26.

Hold tight, man, we have 5 more months of this...

If Justin Miller slides to 26 {which is very possible, just look at all of the mocks} ... IMO we land a better CB than Fred Smoot for half the price

That's right, having never played a down of football in the NFL, I'm calling Justin Miller a better CB than Fred Smoot ... time will tell you if I'm right?

I'm with you, Ham. Smoot is entirely over-rated and was the product of a sick pass rush in Washington. It'll be pathetric watching the Vikes compile all of this talent and still get shredded because Fat Teddy is in semi-retirement. What a tool.

btw, Ham. The REAL mock is starting Thursday.

I think you guys are way off about Smoot. Washington had a great pass rush because they were able to blitz. They were able to blitz because thier corners could play on an island. To sit back and depend on Justin Miller to drop is big time risky, imo. You could make the point that Smoot was always covering the number 2 guy because of having Bailey and Springs on the other side of him but he is still just 26 and has tons of room to improve with the right coaching that we have here right now.

Corners can be found, especially in the middle rounds.

My proof? Look at the other team I root for, the Bears.

In two successive years, Jerry Angelo has been able to pluck Charles Tillman, whom some considered an ALL Pro in his rookie season, and Nathan Vasher.

Tillman was a 2nd round pick, and Vasher, a 4th. Vasher had a lackluster senior season at Texas dropped him in the draft.

I'm confident in Bradway. He was able to find a diamond in the rough in Coleman, and I like that Donnie Henderson will be able to provide his input on whom Terry should draft. Henderson has 20 years of college experience, and knows the type of player he needs for his D.

I also like what Bradway did with Putzier. Maybe we get him,maybe we don't, but Bradway defiently served notice to the league that he has done his homework. He knew that Denver was cap striken and Putzier would only cost a 6th. Maybe he makes a run at other restricted players, like Bobby Gray from Chicago, or Lamont Thompson.

Save it. There's more pressing needs to address before CB.

If we signed him to that money you'd kill Bradway.

I gotta say that i'd be a bit upset with Colbert if he signed a player like him for that much as well. Although, i really like Smoot! I bet Ty Law gets a fortune too, damn this is a bad time to be up against the cap and in need of a corner. :lol:

A lot of you guys are under-rating Smoot big time.

He isn't Champ Bailey or Chris McCallister, but he's on the tier right below them. Smoot had as good a season in Washington last year than Bailey ever had during his tenure there.

This guy is a big-time player that's just coming into his own. No way in hell I'd rather have a rookie than Smoot, and that includes Rolle or Jones.

Also, by not going after any free agent corners, we've trapped ourselves between a rock and a hard place. How are we to draft both a corner and an offensive tackle in the first round? The Jets can no longer afford the luxury of upgrading the cornerback position in the first round. They have to go OT in round one. So, it looks like it's either Ty Law, the status quo, or drafting a sleeper.

Not exactly what I had in mind heading into the offseason. :(

He isn't Champ Bailey or Chris McCallister, but he's on the tier right below them. Smoot had as good a season in Washington last year than Bailey ever had during his tenure there.

This guy is a big-time player that's just coming into his own. No way in hell I'd rather have a rookie than Smoot, and that includes Rolle or Jones.

Also, by not going after any free agent corners, we've trapped ourselves between a rock and a hard place. How are we to draft both a corner and an offensive tackle in the first round? The Jets can no longer afford the luxury of upgrading the cornerback position in the first round. They have to go OT in round one. So, it looks like it's either Ty Law, the status quo, or drafting a sleeper.

I couldn't agree more.

If Justin Miller slides to 26 {which is very possible, just look at all of the mocks} ... IMO we land a better CB than Fred Smoot for half the price

That's right, having never played a down of football in the NFL, I'm calling Justin Miller a better CB than Fred Smoot ... time will tell you if I'm right?

Thats a bold prediction, my friend. BTW, you guys did one hell of a job at that draft site. I'm very impressed with the in depth reports and knowledge. I enjoy that site alot and it'll be my draft guide.

I don't mean to speak ill of some of you, since I know you often know much more than I....

...but Fred Smoot IS the real deal at CB, and is worth every penny of that deal based on past performance.

--He is as good, if not beter, at pure coverage skills than Champ Bailey.

--He is a great run support CB, willing and able to make contact.

--He has always been a talker...but a TEAM FIRST and Pro-Team talker. He has never said a bad word about his team.

--He plays hurt, and doesn;t lose much even then. he is durable, but can still bring it with injuries many other CB's go out with.

--He was NOT a product if the system (since he's been in about 5 systems so far...)....he was a LYNCHPIN of the Skins D. His (and Bailey first, and ex-Seattle-what's-his-name now) coverage skills allowed an absolutey telentless front 4 not only perform well, but thrive. The Skins over the past two to three seasons didn't have a single D-Lineman good enough to start for 90% of the teams in the NFL. They are the DEFINITION of JAG. The linebackers too (other than the vastly over-rated and over-paid Levar Arrington) have also mostly been the dregs of other teams castoffs....with the ex-Colt Wahingotn in 2004 being a notable exception.

Fred Smoot would have fortified our #1 CB Spot for the next 5 years, at least, barring the unforseen. Signing Fred Smoot would have allowed the cutting of both Donnie Abraham (well past his prime) and Ray Mickens (patheticly ill-equipped to play CB in the NFL, too short, too weak, too slow...and now coming off severe injury.) A CB lineup of Smoor, Barrett and Strait, with a mid-rounder at the #4 sot would have given us the best CB lneup in years, maybe decades.

I have seen more than enough (living in D.C.) of Fred Smoot to know my stuff on him. If indeed it is true that we did not even persue him at all.....well, Bradway made a mistake IMO.

We can pray all we want that Miller, or anyone else availale at #26, could be as good as Smoot....but it is FAR FAR FAR from a sure thing.

Smoot was as much as a sure thing as is available in the NFL these days.

I hear you troll, but I think the smarter and safer move is to sign a FA RT like Pork Chop Womack {or Riley/McDougle} and use that #1 on a CB

Reason being, there is only one {ONE!!} OT I would even want in the 1st RD and that's Jammal Brown ... MAYBE BARRON AS WELL ... and no-one else

If Brown {and maybe Barron} are off the board at 26, which is very likely, we're screwed if we sign a FA Corner and Go looking for an OT who can start right away via the draft

However, if we sign one of the FA RT's, there are at least five CB's who figure to start right away in the NFL ... five being the minimum ... and all we need is 1 OF THE 5 to be there ar 26

Rolle, Jones, Miller, Rogers, and Washington ... six if you include Jackson

So our odds are MUCH GREATER if we address RT now, then Go looking for a CB who can start as a rookie in RD 1 ... then if we were to take the opposite approach

Are you with me?

Smoot is a very good CB. The Skins had a weak pass rush last year. They did all their pass rushing from blitzing. They play a variation of The 46 Bears defense. Kind of like a hybrid of what Buddy Ryan used in Houston and Chicago.

Smoot was on an island by himself. He had a great year last season. He's not a top 5 CB. He's right below on that next level.

Better than Lucas and Henry and on the same level as Samari Rolle and Gary Baxter. But not nearly as good as Ty Law or Patrick Surtain.

It's not out of the realm of possibility that 3rd to 5th rounders can come into The Jets next year and contribute immediately.

That's why the first 4 picks have to be CB, OT, DT and perhaps TE, SS or even a kicker.

Bradway and his scouting staff have to hit like they did last season.

There's a chance that The Jets sign Rocky Bernard or pick up a free agent DT later in free agency.

If that happens, We might not have to focus in on DT early in the draft.

I was hoping that Putzier would be here but it doesn't look like it. That gives us one more area to fill.

What happened with Putzier?

And Fish, I will defer to you on your assessment of Smoot. I'm always harsh on 'Skins players. It comes from growing up watching the Giants-Skins match-ups in the 80's.

P.S. You guys cool with Thursday as the start of the draft? I know Fishman was having a conflict, but if you PM me, we can work something out...maybe starting it at a more convenient time?

Let's face it guys, the Vikings, after the Randy Moss deal, just had way too much money on their hands for anyone to challenge them for Pat Williams and now Smoot. We never would have had a chance with either, I don't blame it on Bradway. In fact, I have been against signing a pricy corner since the start of the offseason. Why? The draft is stocked with good corners, and Henderson is good enough at developing a secondary that we don't NEED a great # 1. Plus, as we all know, the fact is, you don't need a ''shutdown corner'' to have a successful defense.

I agree with GJ & H in that missing out on Pat Williams was upsetting, but again, we didnt have the kind of cap room to be dishing out a huge deal to Williams. He would have been an incredible signing, so I wish Bradway would have put an offer on the table and fought for him, but again, we probably would have lost him to Minnesota in any case. I think we can make due with the defensive line we have plus a signing/draft pick or 2.

I hear you troll, but I think the smarter and safer move is to sign a FA RT like Pork Chop Womack {or Riley/McDougle} and use that #1 on a CB

Reason being, there is only one {ONE!!} OT I would even want in the 1st RD and that's Jammal Brown ... MAYBE BARRON AS WELL ... and no-one else

If Brown {and maybe Barron} are off the board at 26, which is very likely, we're screwed if we sign a FA Corner and Go looking for an OT who can start right away via the draft

However, if we sign one of the FA RT's, there are at least five CB's who figure to start right away in the NFL ... five being the minimum ... and all we need is 1 OF THE 5 to be there ar 26

Rolle, Jones, Miller, Rogers, and Washington ... six if you include Jackson

So our odds are MUCH GREATER if we address RT now, then Go looking for a CB who can start as a rookie in RD 1 ... then if we were to take the opposite approach

Are you with me?

I hope that's the case, but I've seen no reports of Bradway even bringing in an offensive tackle for a visit. I don't understand why we've let guys like Jermaine Mayberry and Fred Miller sign elsewhere without as much as a sniff from the Jets. It just seems that if Bradway planned to do something about OT in free agency, we'd have heard something already.

I hope you're right, though.

Archived